• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The worst game music of the generation.

PirateKing

I don't know about this gen specifically. How about worst ever?

I'm not kidding, I actually returned the game because of that song.

I don't feel good after hearing that. Augh.

Also, Alone In The Dark music on X360 gave me nightmares. It took me so long to forget what it actually sounds like so I'm not going to find what it was.

Pokemon-X-Pokemon-Y-Get-Cover-Art-Screenshots-Artwork-2.jpg
o_o Best Pokemon OST IMO, game was disappointing overall though.

Anura

Easily the most bland, uninspired soundtrack this generation. Totally contrasts Gen 5.

EDIT: Yeah, Sonic Chronicles had some really bad music. I probably misread the OP when he said "generation" as well and assumed "this generation". My bad if this is the case.

Both those gens have the some of the worst soundtracks yet. Gen 6 has the champs theme and a few others with the rest of it being passable but nothing special

Gen 5 had Corles theme and the B/W1 credits and maybe one or two more? A few fall into the "passable but nothing special" catagory but The rest is trash filled with Flourishing on top of an uninteresting underlying melody

MGR has Best Worst music, the way it's lyrics beat you over thehead with it's themes is cringeworthy and hilarious.

VIOLENCE BREEDS VIOLENCE.

If you pay close attention to the way it makes you feel, the awesomeness that washes over you is the music manipulating your cringe, redirecting it like lightning attacks in Avatar: The Last Airbender

Easily the most bland, uninspired soundtrack this generation. Totally contrasts Gen 5.

EDIT: Yeah, Sonic Chronicles had some really bad music. I probably misread the OP when he said "generation" as well and assumed "this generation". My bad if this is the case.

You're crazy. Gen 6's music isn't the most incredible but it's damn good across the board. Fewer standouts than Gen 5 sure but also fewer instances of songs that are legitimately awful, and also fewer ADHD inspired guitar riffs backed by a billion noises ALL AT ONCE

It also had this nifty thing I haven't heard in Pokémon themes in nearly half a decade, it's awesome, it's called "some semblance of thematic consistency"

My personal vote goes to this trash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D5ty--wZcc

That song plays on a loop for hours in the Isengard zones. I usually play LotRO with the music on because most of it is pretty good but after 10+ hours of enduring that shit I had to turn it off. I can't explain why I didn't turn it off sooner.

I don't know about this gen specifically. How about worst ever?

I'm not kidding, I actually returned the game because of that song.

Nah.

I don't think I can ever top "Nocturne", but I always thought Phantom Hourglass's music was underwhelming. What's the music for walking around outdoors on the various islands in the game? This ten-second ditty. Seriously? Seriously.

I mean, yeah, technically this is the actual "overworld" theme, although I'd expect the music to still be decent when I'm not off sailing on the ocean.

Incidentally, I didn't care much for Phantom Hourglass at all, but the soundtrack still sticks out in my mind as a real sore point. I know Spirit Tracks is sooooo much better in this regard, although still forcing Link to use a vehicle to get from area to area was enough for me to not try it out; was too burned out on that with PH. So glad ALBW ditched all that stuff.

My personal vote goes to this trash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D5ty--wZcc

That song plays on a loop for hours in the Isengard zones. I usually play LotRO with the music on because most of it is pretty good but after 10+ hours of enduring that shit I had to turn it off. I can't explain why I didn't turn it off sooner.
Clearly this should've been playing, anyway

In contrast to the series pedigree, Other M is pretty bad in this regard. Minus the themes it lifts from other Metroid games (which you could probably count on one hand) the music consists of incredibly generic and bland "cinematic" style music and genuinely terrible cacophonous shit like the Space Pirate fighting theme.

Funnily enough, this is another area we can fault Sakamoto on, as he rejected earlier takes on it that were more traditionally Metroid.

Oh, and this is what passes for "comedy" music in Time and Eternity.

I could excuse it if it were some amateur composer that didn't know what he was doing, but this is Yuzo goddamn Koshiro. The man puts out Actraiser and Streets of Rage, but this is what we get? (Then again, he did put out SoR3, too.)

Well actually the comedy theme fit the mismatched situation most of the time.
The comic moments are forced and akward , born of goofy situations and this theme does the job pretty well at point that out.

Well actually the comedy theme fit the mismatched situation most of the time.
The comic moments are forced and akward , born of goofy situations and this theme does the job pretty well at point that out.

That doesn't make the music good. Lots of things try to be funny and aren't.

Regiruler

I have issued a restraining order preventing anyone who says MGR in any way, shape, or form from coming within 200 meters of platinum games.

Rock is underrepresented, let me have the music I like for a change.

EDIT: To the people saying rock/metal in general, what in the name of christ do you even listen to? Metal is all that is good, especially some tasty power metal, with hard rock being it's right hand man.

Talking about worst songs, "My Hands" in FFXIII is far better than the "New World" Shit in XIII-2. Really, at least it wasn't as anticlimatic
(yeah, serah fucking dying there with that shit playing in the background, doesn't helps)

shaowebb

I hated pretty much ALL of the Madworld OST. Take your pick I couldn't make it through that ride due to the irritating announcers and the Awful soundtrack.

Top Bottom