• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call demo coming to EU this week

Son Of D

Saw this in the E3 trailer thread and felt that it was thread worthy.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/236309-...er-4-cubemen-2-legend-of-zelda-deals-and-more

THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY CURTAIN CALL Demo (Square Enix) - Free
Feel the beat in THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY CURTAIN CALL, a rhythm-action game combining FINAL FANTASY music with RPG elements on Nintendo 3DS and 2DS! This sequel to THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY expands on the original in every way, with over three times as many songs and twice as many playable characters as its predecessor.

I hope that we get the demo Stateside, but also that the game gets a digital release. This is the kind of game I like to have available on my system at all times.

Frolow

Banned
There's a demo for the original game on the US eShop as well. The gameplay is the exact same between the two games, so if anyone's interesting in trying out the series, have at it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hm apparently head start?
Additionally, players that download the demo will automatically have more characters unlocked when playing the game at launch.

Either way, downloading.

MrBS

I downloaded the demo of US eshop and had a quick run. I need to give button controls a more thorough going over. I seem to be doing better with stylus at this point.

magnetic

There's a demo for the original game on the US eShop as well. The gameplay is the exact same between the two games, so if anyone's interesting in trying out the series, have at it.

Not quite. The new game has button controls as well (ABXY and circle pad for directional input).

Just tried the demo, feels surprisingly good, almost as if this game was made for buttons all along. The arrows work perfectly with the circle pad, and the "wave lines" in the field music track have a bit of, um, "snap on", which also works very well.

Buttons are a complete game changer for me, I´m super glad they added that feature! I really enjoyed the first game, but aside from Rhythm Heaven I don´t really enjoy stylus games a lot, so yeah, that game is a no-brainer for me.

I already had this preordered but hearing that buttons work well have me much more excited.
The stylus controls of the first worked very well but I love to use the buttons more since it's more comfortable for me.

magnetic

So the new game has 221 songs (not counting DLC), while the old one only had "over 70".

That´s quite an impressive jump! All the tracks from the first game return, which is fine, since I fell in love with a lot of these tunes.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The NA demo is out now. Apparently by playing it you can unlock characters in the full game. :D

XaosWolf

Wow, just got around to trying it and the JENOVA Ultimately Score with the stylus is some Guitar Hero bliss.

Things seem to be timed a lot better than the first one, and everything feels like it has just the right mix of difficulty and fun.

I hope you can play through a run of a games tracks on a set difficulty. I recall only being able to play through Ultimate on the song select screen?

I'm also guessing that the "unlocked characters" for the full game are going to be the four in the demo? (Tifa, Edward, Laguna, Lightning)

Haven't unlocked anything obvious in the demo so far at least.

Can't wait for the full version now! =D

The monsters look a lot more interesting than the first Theatrhythm. Bahamut from Advent Children looked really cool.

Can't wait to play it! And goddamn at the amount of songs! Theatrhythm was one of the few games where I bought all of the DLC and felt satisfied. I will certainly be doing the same here.

XaosWolf

Everything seems a bit more expressive and polished this time around.

And just found out that Hybrid is a recognised control type! =D

Espada

So the new game has 221 songs (not counting DLC), while the old one only had "over 70".

That´s quite an impressive jump! All the tracks from the first game return, which is fine, since I fell in love with a lot of these tunes.

Holy crap. I already have Theatrhythm, but this info combined with the new button controls are making it hard for me to resist this game. The original was a ton of fun, and a great treat for people who've enjoyed the series over the years. Man, my wallet's going to be hurting.

magnetic

Holy crap. I already have Theatrhythm, but this info combined with the new button controls are making it hard for me to resist this game. The original was a ton of fun, and a great treat for people who've enjoyed the series over the years. Man, my wallet's going to be hurting.

It´s even fantastic for people like me who aren´t all that much into FF but enjoy good video game music ;) There´s no denying that the series had some incredible tracks over the years, no wonder there´s material for two rhythm games!

ZeroX03

Banned

Sell it! I managed to get most of my money back for it. All the original tracks are in so it's pretty much obsolete.

Firing up the demo now.

Nice, I never played the first one and now it's stupid expensive so I'll play this demo to decide if I need to buy this one at launch while I can still find a copy :p

ZeroX03

Banned
So gave the demo a whirl. The button controls are so much better for battle songs. Managed to SS J-E-N-O-V-A on Ultimate with them. Not sure if I'm sold on them for Field stages but it seems pretty lenient on your circle pad motions, way more so than the touch screen. D-pad option would've been nice, it doesn't really seem to judge you based on how much you move the circle pad anyway.

I was already sold on this game anyway.

Aru

So gave the demo a whirl. The button controls are so much better for battle songs. Managed to SS J-E-N-O-V-A on Ultimate with them. Not sure if I'm sold on them for Field stages but it seems pretty lenient on your circle pad motions, way more so than the touch screen. D-pad option would've been nice, it doesn't really seem to judge you based on how much you move the circle pad anyway.

I didn't play the first game outside of the demo, but damn. You got an SS rank on Jenova on Ultimate difficulty? You're really good. I tried just for laughs and it's INSANE.

Stuart444

Demo was fun, sad that there was only 2 songs, I expected 3 (one for each stage type). Tried each song twice (though I did the battle song 3 times, accidentally pressed play again after the 2nd time lol), once with each control scheme.

Stylus controls are as good as in the original though the added colour during stages threw me off at times.

Button controls are pretty good though they took me a bit to get used to, I'll probably stick to stylus for Field stages. My mind gets confused easily which caused a number of mess-ups when having to use both the circle pad and press a button at the same time. I got used to that for the battle stage (holding and then hitting up on the circle pad at the same time for instance) but the field stage requires constant circle pad movement while being prepared to hit buttons so yeah.

But besides my mind giving me issues, the button control scheme is great.

I also think the difficulty seemed easier and it was easier to get an S in basic mode. I wonder if that's due to the new Ultimate mode rather than just Basic and Expert mode?

Also they chose two good pieces of music for the demo. :D

FirLocke

I am loving this demo! I've died twice on the very last note of Jenova on Ultimate! With the stylus! Managed to get an A rank but also failed at the same time, which is hilarious. I've tried the buttons on Edgar & Sabin's theme and they definitely make it easier, but it feels better to play with the stylus. Good to have the option though.

Have had this pre ordered for months, can't wait to get the full game now!

Btw, every time I boot up the demo, my previous scores are no where to be seen. This seems contradictory to what the demo says at the start, that our saves will carry on to the main game. Not that this is a big problem, but it is curious.

chip123

I got an S on J-E-N-O-V-A Ultimate with stylus but can't get past the opening barrage with buttons. Can't do the other song on ultimate with buttons either and I SSS'd that one with stylus.

ChrisD

Buttons are so bad for Field stages. Can't manage to get the ones where you do quick up/down on the line followed by direction at the end. It's possible, I'm sure, but stylus seems much better for that type.

Speaking of Field stages, they feel a lot smoother. Snappier design. Really like it. Though that Chocobo section. So many colors and things start to blur.

Robin64

I also think the difficulty seemed easier and it was easier to get an S in basic mode. I wonder if that's due to the new Ultimate mode rather than just Basic and Expert mode?

Also they chose two good pieces of music for the demo. :D

Ultimate was in the first game too. You needed to get A or higher on all the songs in a series on Expert to unlock it.

ZeroX03

Banned
I didn't play the first game outside of the demo, but damn. You got an SS rank on Jenova on Ultimate difficulty? You're really good. I tried just for laughs and it's INSANE.

kHKbNTe.jpg

Definitely prefer buttons. Fast paced songs are my jam because then the buttons are very well timed to the beat & rhythm of the song, so I'm playing along to the song. If it's a slow paced song or one with awkward timing or has an unusual time signature I'll fall to pieces on Ultimate. Same thing happened with Project Diva F.

Btw, every time I boot up the demo, my previous scores are no where to be seen. This seems contradictory to what the demo says at the start, that our saves will carry on to the main game. Not that this is a big problem, but it is curious.

Same here. Mainly just care about the characters though.

Also anyone else think this game is really quiet? My 3DS is usually much louder than this.

The J-E-N-O-V-A track was a ton of fun with buttons! Diagonal swipes sometimes didn't register right with the analoge nub, but then again swiping with the stylus isn't perfect in that regard either.

Think I'll stick to buttons in the Battle songs (also because I'm probably gonna play this so much that I don't want to ruin the touchscreen like I did with the first game), use the stylus for Field controls cause that seemed to work better in the demo.

Was a little disappointed with only two songs. Come on, there's 221 in total! At least give us three :p

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
This is my most anticipated game of the year, downloading demo now!

Played the demo last night and the button control scheme is very comfortable. Though I think the stylus controls work better on field music scores than battle music scores. With multiple control schemes it will be interesting for people that want more challenge to do different playstyles. Also there's even an a play style of playing it one handed. But, I'll let you guys figure that out.

Zhao_Yun

Tried the demo yesterday and it was quite fun. I haven't played the first game but I managed to get a S Rank on the 3rd try of J-E-N-O-V-A on Ultimate with buttons.
Ultimate is quite challenging but compared to Hatsune Miku Pdf on Extreme it was still very much manageable.

btw: Does anyone know whether the Versus Mode will be region locked? I am a EU user with a US 3DS and it would suck if I couldn't play with other Europeans online...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tried the demo yesterday and it was quite fun. I haven't played the first game but I managed to get a S Rank on the 3rd try of J-E-N-O-V-A on Ultimate with buttons.
Ultimate is quite challenging but compared to Hatsune Miku Pdf on Extreme it was still very much manageable.

btw: Does anyone know whether the Versus Mode will be region locked? I am a EU user with a US 3DS and it would suck if I couldn't play with other Europeans online...

I can't speak for this game but the first game you could StreetPass with people from the US/EU and get their ProfiCards. Hopefully this new version is similarly open.

Zhao_Yun

I can't speak for this game but the first game you could StreetPass with people from the US/EU and get their ProfiCards. Hopefully this new version is similarly open.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, hopefully they will just keep the same system.

Green Yoshi

Played the demo for a while and I don't know if it's just me, but it's too quiet. Started the demo of the first Theatrhythm afterwards and there it's fine. In the system settings you see that the the demo of Curtain Call is only half the size of the first demo. Did they reduce the sound quality for the demo, so it's smaller?

Played the demo for a while and I don't know if it's just me, but it's too quiet. Started the demo of the first Theatrhythm afterwards and there it's fine. In the system settings you see that the the demo of Curtain Call is only half the size of the first demo. Did they reduce the sound quality for the demo, so it's smaller?

Yeah, the noise when making successful hits was definitely too quiet. Seeing as the first one had the option to make it louder I am sure this one will as well.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So it says characters you unlock transfer to the full game. How do you unlock characters?
The 4 characters you play as in the demo are unlocks in the full game I guess, so just playing the demo should suffice; nothing else needs to be done.

Fey

Banned
literally could they have chosen worse songs (well, yes but)

the advent children remix butchering of GODova? really?

The Man With The Machine Gun single handedly sold the game for me with the first game's demo, but this shit!!!

WhyMe6

Having played the first game for ~25 hours, beating every song + DLC song on Ultimate, I must say I cannot stand the button controls. They don't feel natural to me, I can't get into them.

Considering the rhythm game I'm next best at is Ouendan, my preference for touch controls doesn't surprise me.

Also: will buy, hell yes, 221 songs!

dani_dc

I'm not even a Final Fantasy fan and this is one of the games I'll be buying day #1. Loved the original one.

Won't play the demo though, I spent too much time on the demo of the first game as it was. Will just wait for the actual release and then get the digital version (it's going to have one right?)

Top Bottom