• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Aeana

It's probably worth it, though you obviously won't get as much enjoyment out of it as if you had played the games. But perhaps you'll play them afterward? :)

Munkyspace

"Let the Battles Begin!" just utterly destroyed me on Ultimate. I think that track might be this game's Through Fire and Flames.

Jesus. Props to anyone that can SSS that.

^
^
^
^
Up here, FuzzyNorman.

Ghost23

Absolutely. I'm in the same boat as you and this game is pure joy. It's inspiring me to play a real FF game, even.

Go for it!

I really want to. The deciding factor is whether the game is difficult or not. For someone who played the hardest guitar hero songs on expert, would there be a challenge during the later levels?

Drago

I really want to. The deciding factor is whether the game is difficult or not. For someone who played the hardest guitar hero songs on expert, would there be a challenge during the later levels?
From my experience, the game ranges from extremely easy to extremely hard, depending on mode and song. You should be able to find a good challenge if you keep on playing.

Teknoman

Wow at Tower of Babel in the FFIV field (or was that Zot? I forget). I will say that i'm having a hard time taking in the backgrounds while trying to stay on target.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
"Alas we dance eternally for revenge!"

Working through Normal difficult to score SSS, then moving on to Expert, which seems to be my favorite difficulty for pacing reasons.

TheExodu5

Banned

As someone who played the hardest guitar hero songs on expert...definitely. Some of the songs are quite challenging. You need some control/finesse for a lot of sections.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Melodies of Life was in Japanese, too.
Really threw me off because I was expecting holds in places where they were singular notes, or no notes where there were notes. I wish they'd gone through the effort to replace it with the English version since that would make the most sense for EU and NA.

Aeana

Really threw me off because I was expecting holds in places where they were singular notes, or no notes where there were notes. I wish they'd gone through the effort to replace it with the English version since that would make the most sense for EU and NA.

This localization job is disappointing across the board. I played most of the FF games in Japanese first, but I bought an English product, so I expect it to be in English. Besides, this is a fanservice game aiming to evoke nostalgia, so the material should be presented as it was to the audience originally.

Teknoman

Heh looking at the menu, it even says "as first released in japan!" so I guess they knew what they were doing, or just added that to cover tracks.

Does anyone know if I get the game from UK, I should be able to buy DLC from the Aus/NZ store and it'll still work with my copy right?

They're all the same 'PAL' region technically as far as 3DS stuff goes but I haven't really had much experience with Nintendo DLC, I just assumed it would work.

Teknoman

I need to replay FFIX once it becomes Vita compatible...wow at Ozma's description:

" A metaphysical being, Ozma exists without form and is unknowable, untouchable, and unattainable. And it is indispensable. Those who recognize it will be forced to question existence, substance, god, and themselves."

Damn.

Kyou

Just when I think I can't go any farther Dark Notes keep pushing me along.

I haven't felt the joy of getting better like this since EBA

Absolutely nailing a song you really like on ultimate is pure bliss. Just did it with Fleeting Dream and I felt like I was fuckin Tidus being all badass and not crying and stuff.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was the credits playable? If they weren't, they sorta missed the boat on that.

This localization job is disappointing across the board. I played most of the FF games in Japanese first, but I bought an English product, so I expect it to be in English. Besides, this is a fanservice game aiming to evoke nostalgia, so the material should be presented as it was to the audience originally.
I had expected a better effort since it was being localized for English territories and SE usually tries to meet expectations on that front. Speaking as someone who played most FFs in English primarily, I can't help but to feel disappointed with some of the EMS bits being left in Japanese. I don't have much of a nostalgic attachment to some of them because it wasn't the dialogue I had experienced when I first played through some of the games. Heck, I wouldn't be miffed if they had used the PSX/PSP footage of II for its EMS sequence. The only real problematic one is III, no?

Admittedly, I'm disappointed that I didn't see the English text for FFI's opening text screen. It isn't that important to me on its own, but it would've helped a lot in drawing me into the EMS sequence.

This may be my GOTY. I'll throw money to any and all future Theatrhythm games.

I took a video of my first Ultimate Score Perfect Chain:

(Saber's Edge)
http://youtu.be/duLxvyxcEIo?hd=1

Received about 5k exp afterwards. I have EXP Up on Squall (my leader). Feels so damn satisfying to beat an Ultimate Score.

My current party is:

Squall - 76
Lightning - 68
Vaan - 68
Zidane - 69

I think tonight, I'll grind to 99. Shouldn't take too long (especially for Squall).

10 hours of playtime. 10 trophies. 14009rm. Still haven't unlocked any new characters but I have a few shards for each of them.

I want to play more but I need to go show Spelunky XBLA some love.

Teknoman

Are the Dark Notes randomly put together? Or would everyone else's "No.9 Mv.25 Opera" be the same?

Either way, so glad I just found one that had Within the Giant as a FMS section...with the moon as the environment :D

Also is there a limit to how many notes you can hold?

Kazerei

Banned
OMGYES, I found a Dark Note with a boss that drops rainbow shards. Interestingly, it's boss #1 who drops it. I grinded that Note and finally unlocked
Cosmos
. Whew! 9 characters unlocked, 7 more to go.

I've decided Theatrhythm is going to get me in trouble. I sat down to play after my family went to bed...I figured I would play for a half hour and quit.

IT'S BEEN FOUR HOURS!

I should go to bed.

Aeana

Man, you guys should have seen me waltz into Decisive Battle from FF6 on ultimate and get creamed. It was a sight.

Teknoman

Man, you guys should have seen me waltz into Decisive Battle from FF6 on ultimate and get creamed. It was a sight.

Yeah when the game throws a hard set at you...it doesnt mess around. That dark note I found with Within the Giant had a battle set to Man with the Machine Gun.

My mind literally froze at some parts. Died with a D rank.

(Saber's Edge)

Received about 5k exp afterwards. I have EXP Up on Squall (my leader). Feels so damn satisfying to beat an Ultimate Score.

My current party is:

Squall - 76
Lightning - 68
Vaan - 68
Zidane - 69

I think tonight, I'll grind to 99. Shouldn't take too long (especially for Squall).

10 hours of playtime. 10 trophies. 14009rm. Still haven't unlocked any new characters but I have a few shards for each of them.

I seriously need more practice (or at least to level up my characters).

Btw wasnt there another game that used this art style?

Bururian

All I generally play is Rhythm games, and some of these songs on Ultimate are putting me in my place. I can't decide if it's me, or the DS doesn't like the way I swipe for directionals at times.

Drago

Im up to some 15,500 rm right now, have no characters, lv 16-35 chars (was switching around) and only have 7 dark notes because I'm stuck.

I need to play this more :p

(Saber's Edge)

My current party is:

Squall - 76
Lightning - 68
Vaan - 68
Zidane - 69

Dude! Your video just sold me on this...lol.

zroid

Banned
Kinda disappointed that the credits weren't gamified (at least I don't think they were?). Rhythm games are ripe for that! Missed opportunity.

I've decided Theatrhythm is going to get me in trouble. I sat down to play after my family went to bed...I figured I would play for a half hour and quit.

IT'S BEEN FOUR HOURS!

I should go to bed.

Yeah, this game is not a good influence on me. I should have been working for the past hour. >.>

I finally unlocked my Street Passing ability today. Wonder how many people I bump into will be playing this... has anyone had any luck yet?

Westraid

I think thanks to this game, I'm going to need a screen protector asap. Any recommendations?
I'm so happy I decided to turn my apartment upside down to find a screen protector for mine. When I shut down my 3DS I took a good look at the (protected) bottom screen and it freaked me out to see how scratched it was.
My friends use Hori and Big Ben and claim they're the best. Getting one of those is likely a safe bet. Mine was some unknown brand and you had to cut them to sizes.

Btw wasnt there another game that used this art style?
Yeah, that'd be Kingdom Hearts Mobile.

Kinda disappointed that the credits weren't gamified (at least I don't think they were?). Rhythm games are ripe for that! Missed opportunity.
Yeah it's a shame. I stubbornly kept tapping away just in case though, but to no avail.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game gives me dry eyes since I find myself not blinking for a while sometimes, haha.

Yeah, they really missed an opportunity for that. Bonus rm or something.

How do you get the different bosses (numbers 2 or 3) on songs in Chaos Shrine? Is it all random?

Also, I swear I think I have like 9 Dark Notes now with that vocal version of FFXIII's "step into the rainbow" song. It just keeps popping up over and over! Is this random too or am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm mostly getting the same 6 or 7 songs again and again. (I already beat all three songs for FFs 1 through 13 in series mode.) Isn't the game suppose to have more music??

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
How do you get the different bosses (numbers 2 or 3) on songs in Chaos Shrine? Is it all random?
Depends on the field level beforehand. For some of them, if you keep a streak going from the beginning you'll eventually reach a point where a sign appears saying "Boss 2 or 3," if you keep the streak going to the end you'll go to Boss 3. Boss 2 otherwise. I think some Dark Notes may behave differently though.

Depends on the field level beforehand. For some of them, if you keep a streak going from the beginning you'll eventually reach a point where a sign appears saying "Boss 2 or 3," if you keep the streak going to the end you'll go to Boss 3. Boss 2 otherwise. I think some Dark Notes may behave differently though.

Ah I see, thanks.

Also, guys, not sure if this was posted before, but the Japanese site has an adorable screen-saver for download.

Bumhead

Banned
The Dark Notes are tough. How do you actually "beat" the boss characters? Im managing to finish the notes but the boss' are still alive at the end of it so aren't dropping anything. My characters are all only level 12/13 though, is it just a matter of them needing to be more powerful to do more damage?

Dude! Your video just sold me on this...lol.

lol nice! You won't regret it!

So..I should be sleeping but I wanted to get Squall to level 99 before bed:

photo.jpg

I was able to get an item that doubled(?) the EXP I earned for a song. So I equipped that, played my best Ultimate song, and was able to earn 16k exp for that song. It leveled each character 4 times. Hoping I can find that item again, lol.

My other 3 characters are about 88. Tomorrow, i'll finish them off as well as decide what kind of abilities I want them to have. I may just try to learn every ability I can with each person. I hope there isn't a limit.

I've beaten 7 Dark Notes. Should really play that mode more. Just got too caught up with playing Ultimate Scores. Hoping to Perfect Chain (and record) another one later today.

The amount of things to do in this game is crazy...

Really loved the demo, I wish I could play with Terras theme in the demo too. But I noticed that the difficulty is high, even on normal.

Best FF game since FFCC.

Robin64

European DLC still not up, despite the store being activated and Nintendo telling us it's up. Got a feeling this won't be fixed until after the weekend. :(

Top Bottom