• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are now over 6000 games on Steam

MarionCB

I too thought it would be higher, and now I have the uncomfortable realisation that I own over a third of all steam games. How did that happen??
And the only game I've been playing for the last couple of weeks is The Last of Us multiplayer.

Crazy thing is that all those Steam games are only a small fraction of the games that make up PC gaming. Over 6000 Ludum Dare games come in a single year.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I only have 135 games on Steam. And I have probably only played half. And don't plan on playing a fair portion because they came with Humble Bundles.

Crazy thing is that all those Steam games are only a small fraction of the games that make up PC gaming. Over 6000 Ludum Dare games come in a single year.

Kinda this right here. I have friends who are getting back into gaming. Parents with kids who want to start. Any time I've ever been asked "what's a good system/platform to start with?"- I *usually* answer PC. Sometimes portable fits the bill, sometimes one of the big three currently- but for the catalogue and value- PC is still really, really cool.

I've been playing Red Alert 2 with friends the last few days- enjoying it- (not steam related- but prior to that- it's usually Steam related.). Much easier to get friends together when a 4 pack is $20, or when the games are on some kind of steam sale and it's easy to convince everybody to snag it.

I think at this point my only gripe with Steam is the part where I have games on it that I'll never touch again. I hide them in a folder, sure- but I really wish I could turn them in for credit- (even something like .20-$1.00). The first thing that credit would go to would be new games and the OCD in me would love not having them on the list :p

Funny how far Steam has come. I used to hate the thing with a passion and really disliked the idea of some kind of software requirement like that. I dig it now.

For comparison, PS1 "only" had around 2400 games over an eleven-year span. Not even PS2 broke 4000 over thirteen years.

Didn't realize the PS2 had so many games. That's pretty damn impressive. Especially considering by year 12 the PS2 was almost 2 generations old

For comparison, PS1 "only" had around 2400 games over an eleven-year span. Not even PS2 broke 4000 over thirteen years.
Difference being that Steam doesn't have discerable generations like Playstation 1, Playstation 2, etc.

Treating Playstation as a single platform, there were at least 5800 games across the PS 1, 2, & 3

The gamers that have half the library, or the majority of it, are probably the same people that donate $500-$10,000 to streamers on Twitch.

Herne

How on earth do you manage those games? I have only a few dozen games, and I'm finding scrolling down to say, my Strategy category annoying. I can't imagine juggling thousands.

How on earth do you manage those games? I have only a few dozen games, and I'm finding scrolling down to say, my Strategy category annoying. I can't imagine juggling thousands.

Never play them and give away the spares via ModBot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought it would be way more now, there is just so much stuff I don't recognize at all nowadays since early access and Greenlight became a thing.

I used to have 20 or 25% of the Steam library a few years ago, now it is 10%.

Sub 61 used to include every game added to the store (thus its name), but Valve emptied it of all non-Valve content early last year. Now, Valve employees "purchase" games from the store at no cost and just generate keys for any pulled titles they want. The Valve employee with the most games seems to be this guy.

The contest you're thinking of was the grand prize of the 2011 Winter Sale. It was every game on the store at the time, not literally every game on Steam. This bloke won it.

I'm back to #5 now. ;) Astats profiles only update when someone visits their profile page (it's opt-in, essentially).
Shit, you could probably pay all of someone's college funds with that if the average game you buy is 10 bucks

Zabi

Banned
I've made it part of my daily routine to see what it new on Steam and click "yes", "no", or "add to cart" so I'm aware of how much is there.

7MdCQ94.png

So, after looking through every single item on the Steam Store, I have 145 games, 49 of which are hidden and I have 133 games on my wishlist.

Edit: Oops. I just now noticed I had bumped a topic from yesterday. I just saw this on Destructoid so I thought I was partaking in a active topic. Sorry.

http://www.destructoid.com/steam-now-sells-over-6000-different-games-308535.phtml

Tagyhag

Difference being that Steam doesn't have discerable generations like Playstation 1, Playstation 2, etc.

Treating Playstation as a single platform, there were at least 5800 games across the PS 1, 2, & 3

Yes but there's a reason why they said 11 years.

Playstation 1 to Playstation 3 was almost 20 years.

owasog

Oh my, I own almost 25%. But I'm sure that number will go down soon enough with all that early access crap coming out these days. I never buy early access unless it's in a bundle.

I thought it was higher for some reason. Think I have 60 or so now in my library, perhaps 45 fully intended (as in, others were tag-alongs in bundles).

Top Bottom