• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no Xbox 'Series S'

Vawn

Banned
Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
To me this implies more hardware to be announced just not now

Yes, they know that we know, but they just want us to know we won't be seeing Lockhart at this event and we won't get a price or release date either. That's likely all being revealed in August.

Vawn

Banned
What crow? When was it discontinued? Oh yeah, today...

Lol, no, it was officially ANNOUNCED today. You had to completely ignore all the evidence that told us it was discontinued to still think it was "BS", because you've "been around a long time and can just tell these things".

You know like you've been doing about Lockhart this entire thread?

Last edited:

TheGrat1

That didn't take long. Of course, everyone else here already knew this.

Do you still want to stick to your ridiculous doubling down that Lockhart doesn't exist, despite all signs pretty much confirming it as well?
tenor.gif
:messenger_fire:
His name may not be Louie, but Dynamite's tail sure looks primed for a trim! :messenger_smirking:

Lol, no, it was officially ANNOUNCED today. You had to completely ignore all the evidence that told us it was discontinued to still think it was "BS", because you've "been around a long time and can just tell these things".

You know like you've been doing about Lockhart this entire thread?
It was discontinued as of today. Anything else you say is not verifiable. Take a walk.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
You guys just refuse to let go of this Series S thing ... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I honest don't get the excitement around a low end "next gen console" .... but that Series X has my full attention

My friend wants to play new games but doesn't have the money(married, bills, etc) to spend on a new console plus a 4K TV so he is going to buy a cheaper Series S for $300 and play every new game I'm going to play at 1080p.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
It was discontinued as of today. Anything else you say is not verifiable. Take a walk.

You have a hard time admitting you were wrong. I can't wait to see how you handle the Lockhart official announcement.

They didn't just wake up this morning and decide to cancel it today. It was decided a while ago and the wheels were already turning. That's how people KNEW about this before the official announcement.

You know, exactly like Lockhart/Series S?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The Xbox Series S continuing production makes this thread more interesting.

- If Lockhart is meant to release soon, would be weird to name it Series S
- HOWEVERRRR... if Lockhart is actually meant to release after MS abandons last-gen, it would make even more sense to name it Xbox Series S

I actually heavily suspect the latter.. I was confused by the idea of a later-in-gen lockhart, but actually think it makes some sense.

Vawn

Banned

- HOWEVERRRR... if Lockhart is actually meant to release after MS abandons last-gen, it would make even more sense to name it Xbox Series S

I actually heavily suspect the latter.. I was confused by the idea of a later-in-gen lockhart, but actually think it makes some sense.

It would take a while for Xbox One consoles to disappear from retailers either way, so I'd expect confusion either way.

IntentionalPun

It would take a while for Xbox One consoles to disappear from retailers either way, so I'd expect confusion either way.
Sure; their naming is fucking weird.

But having 2 official products still in production one named "One S" and one "Series S" would be particularly weird.

Banned

there is no way they will name it Series S, as I mentioned before... the shorthand for the Series X is SX, that's fine and dandy... but the shortened name of the Series S would be SS
a system named Xbox SS would instantly bring out memes I'm sure they don't want to be associated with:

lTRNfZF.png

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

there is no way they will name it Series S, as I mentioned before... the shorthand for the Series X is SX, that's fine and dandy... but the shortened name of the Series S would be SS
a system named Xbox SS would instantly bring out memes I'm sure they don't want to be associated with:

lTRNfZF.png
This is silly. There are tons of products that use an SS abbreviation, or use 2 "s-words" in a row.

Last edited:

Banned
This is silly. There are tons of products that use an SS abbreviation.

which products are these? I have never seen a major product with an official name that has the potential to be shortened to SS or uses the SS as the official abbreviation
the PS2 Super Slim and PS3 Super Slim never had these names officially, these are made up names by fans not by Sony, if that's what you're alluding to

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

which products are these? I have never seen a major product with an official name that has the potential to be shortened to SS or uses the SS as the official abbreviation
the PS2 Super Slim and PS3 Super Slim never had these names officially, these are made up names by fans not by Sony, if that's what you're alluding to
Chevy produced a car that they literally call the "SS" officially as recently as 2017.

Banned
Chevy produced a car that they literally call the "SS" officially as recently as 2017.

to be fair tho, I really don't think a car like that has A: a community behind it that has the potential to meme about that name, and B: any higher ups even thinking about meme potential of that name.

but I do think that Microsoft and Sony have people that think about this stuff, since these names get memed at instantly... I mean how long did it take for people to call the Series X the Xbox SeX, how long was it till people called the Xbox One the X-boner oder X-bone?
so I think they absolutely are aware of these things, and childish memes like SeX and Boner aren't an issue really, but if people started doing nazi memes about your name, now that wouldn't be a great association to attract.

also, the packaging:
verybusyboxart_3209983_650x.jpg

that GIANT Series X Sticker or print (whatever it will turn out to be) makes me think they absolutely will call the Lockhart "Series X" + something. like Series X Lite, or Series X Mini... Series X Home, something like that.
because they sure as fuck will not add yet another sticker that says "Optimized for Series S" or make that bar at the top even longer with an "Xbox Series S" label next to the other 2 systems.

also look at the "Xbox One" part up there... you don't see "Xbox One • Xbox One X • Xbox One S" there... no, it simly says Xbox One, as in the Xbox One family of systems. so I deduct from that that "Xbox Series X" is also a family of systems... and gong forward they will have a sucessor family of systems, or single system that will follow the "Xbox Series X" family. like the "Xbox Series 2" maybe...

IntentionalPun

I dunno.. what's the point of the word "Series" if you aren't ... having multiple in that series?

In the end I couldn't care less WTF they name the thing lol

Certainly wouldn't surprise me if it's something besides S though, but I expect it to be "Xbox Series " - something.

Last edited:

Banned
I dunno.. what's the point of the word "Series" if you aren't ... having multiple in that series?

my thinking is that "Series" is their way to finally break out of their weird naming conventions. IMO "Series X" is their restart of sorts. X is the starting point, and they can go on from there with multiple Options.

Xbox Series Y
Xbox Series Z
Xbox Series 2
Xbox Series X2

no need for them to eventually come up with yet another new name, like Xbox Zen or something weird like that.

also a Series is itself telling you that it will have multiple things in it... the "Series X" would not be a "Series" if there weren't multiple "Series X" systems... then it would be "Model X" or "Model S"
a Series X implies therefore that there are more than 1 Series X systems

like TV manufacturers usually have annual TV series', you see mentionings of "Samsung's 2020 Series TVs"

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

my thinking is that "Series" is their way to finally break out of their weird naming conventions. IMO "Series X" is their restart of sorts. X is the starting point, and they can go on from there with multiple Options.

Xbox Series Y
Xbox Series Z
Xbox Series 2
Xbox Series X2

no need for them to eventually come up with yet another new name, like Xbox Zen or something weird like that.
Right... so why do you think they'd name Lockhart, "Series X + something else"?

You aren't making any sense.

It's gonna be Series Something, and it'll be different than X.

DaGwaphics

All jokes aside, when a game console or high-profile phone model goes suspiciously out of stock EVERYWHERE at once (not during a launch obviously), that's generally a sign the axe has fallen. You could tell the Wii U and the Dreamcast were gone several weeks before the announcements were made. It's just a basic deduction that most people make. I'm sure there are instances where some kind of logistical problem creeps up, but given the timing on this one...

Banned
Right... so why do you think they'd name Lockhart, "Series X + something else"?

You aren't making any sense.

It's gonna be Series Something, and it'll be different than X.

because (I edited my post above a bit with some more thoughts) like I said, Series entails that there are more than 1 system in the Series... the Series X would not be a Series X if it was only 1 system.
like Samsung's current TVs of 2020 are the Samsung T series TVs, because they name their production years that way (every year is a different letter.. or sometimes combination of letters in the alphabet). a T series Samsung can be a high price model or a lower entry model, they are all the T series

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

because (I edited my post above a bit with some more thoughts) like I said, Series entails that there are more than 1 system in the Series... the Series X would not be a Series X if it was only 1 system.
like Samsung's current TVs of 2020 are the Samsung T series TVs, because they name their production years that way (every year is a different letter.. or sometimes combination of letters in the alphabet). a T series Samsung can be a high price model or a lower entry model, they are all the G series

Could go either way. Is the Series used to delineate a class or to imply more than one of a specific model?

But I could see Series X Streaming or Lite or something like that too.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

like Samsung's current TVs of 2020 are the Samsung T series TVs, because they name their production years that way (every year is a different letter.. or sometimes combination of letters in the alphabet). a T series Samsung can be a high price model or a lower entry model, they are all the T series
Hmm.. guess you could be right.

But I'm interpreting it as "Xbox Series", and then this is designation X.

Otherwise, X should be "X1" or something.

Banned
Hmm.. guess you could be right.

But I'm interpreting it as "Xbox Series", and then this is designation X.

Otherwise, X should be "X1" or something.

well.. we will see, I also think "Series S" would actually be confusing for people.

I know many users on this forum (the fanboy type) like to say how confusing names are for customers and shit... well, it would actually be confusing if there was a Series X and a Series S that play the same games... because each game and each accessory would need to maker super sure that customers know that it is compatible with both systems
this could also suggest to customers that there could be "Series X" exclusive games as it seems to be a different system family to Series S.

having both systems use the name "Series X" is way easier to understand for customers. adding a suffix to Series X like Lite or Mini is way less confusing. people understand that it is just a different version of the same product family.

so my conclusion so far in short:
•Series entails that there is more than a single product that will be in said Series. terefore Series X tells me that there's more than 1 Series X.
•Series S would have the potential for nazi meme because of the SS abbreviation.
•Series S would be unnecessarily confusing for customers. needing devs and publishers to make extra sure that people understand that Series X games also run on Series S.
-therefore I think Lockhart will most likely also use the name Series X + an addon like "Lite" to suggest it is cut down. Phone/tablet manufacturers do this, like the Huawei P20 Lite, or the Samsung Tab S6 Lite etc.

Last edited:

Banned
Isn't that exactly how it is now with the Xbox One X and Xbox One S?

not really the games say "Xbox One" on them, so it is obvious that the "Xbox One X" will play "Xbox One" games.
also these systems released one after another, not at the same time frame.

releasing Series X and Series S at the same time, and having a massive sticker or print on the cover of games that says "Optimized for Series X" would confuse the hell out of people... "does this mean it is not optimized for Series S?" for example.

stitch1

It's not confusing if the Series S is all digital and can't play those games due to the lack of a disc drive.

Vawn

Banned
not really the games say "Xbox One" on them, so it is obvious that the "Xbox One X" will play "Xbox One" games.
also these systems released one after another, not at the same time frame.

releasing Series X and Series S at the same time, and having a massive sticker or print on the cover of games that says "Optimized for Series X" would confuse the hell out of people... "does this mean it is not optimized for Series S?" for example.

No one with a Series S would be buying a physical game.

All jokes aside, when a game console or high-profile phone model goes suspiciously out of stock EVERYWHERE at once (not during a launch obviously), that's generally a sign the axe has fallen. You could tell the Wii U and the Dreamcast were gone several weeks before the announcements were made. It's just a basic deduction that most people make. I'm sure there are instances where some kind of logistical problem creeps up, but given the timing on this one...
Doesn't matter, we're in the middle of a pandemic. Logistics are fucked, production is tied up, shit happens. The point is me saying that the console was not discontinued was correct, because until today it wasn't.

Look at any product which has been removed from a product line, is it listed as discontinued when people start concocting theories or on the date it's announced? Fact is what I said a few days ago still holds accurate and true, nothing else matters.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

Certainly wouldn't surprise me if it's something besides S though, but I expect it to be "Xbox Series " - something.

Apple named a gold variant of the OG apple watch the Apple Watch Edition. Just Edition. not Edition X, Y, or Z. But just edition.

93xfan

Banned
to be fair tho, I really don't think a car like that has A: a community behind it that has the potential to meme about that name, and B: any higher ups even thinking about meme potential of that name.

but I do think that Microsoft and Sony have people that think about this stuff, since these names get memed at instantly... I mean how long did it take for people to call the Series X the Xbox SeX, how long was it till people called the Xbox One the X-boner oder X-bone?
so I think they absolutely are aware of these things, and childish memes like SeX and Boner aren't an issue really, but if people started doing nazi memes about your name, now that wouldn't be a great association to attract.

also, the packaging:
verybusyboxart_3209983_650x.jpg

that GIANT Series X Sticker or print (whatever it will turn out to be) makes me think they absolutely will call the Lockhart "Series X" + something. like Series X Lite, or Series X Mini... Series X Home, something like that.
because they sure as fuck will not add yet another sticker that says "Optimized for Series S" or make that bar at the top even longer with an "Xbox Series S" label next to the other 2 systems.

also look at the "Xbox One" part up there... you don't see "Xbox One • Xbox One X • Xbox One S" there... no, it simly says Xbox One, as in the Xbox One family of systems. so I deduct from that that "Xbox Series X" is also a family of systems... and gong forward they will have a sucessor family of systems, or single system that will follow the "Xbox Series X" family. like the "Xbox Series 2" maybe...

They don’t need physical games referencing the S, as the S is supposed to be all digital.

DaGwaphics

Look at any product which has been removed from a product line, is it listed as discontinued when people start concocting theories or on the date it's announced? Fact is what I said a few days ago still holds accurate and true, nothing else matters.

Well, the product is discontinued when production stops, regardless of if an announcement is made. Obviously, it's not official until announced.

There was actually a crazy story about Dreamcast being out of production and then they decided to make one last run for the 2000 holiday. Resulting in those black models because the plastic was easier to source. No clue if there is any truth to that, but crazy things can happen.

The months long firesale of the 1X at a price that couldn't be all that profitable followed by a complete retail disappearance... that certainly checked some boxes.

yurinka

I think it would be better for them having only Series X SKU instead of releasing a Series S too in terms of market and branding. I think having Xbox One X and Xbox Series X is already confusing. Xbox Series S in addition to Xbox One S and Xbox One SAD would make it even more confusing.

Just release Series X and in the future release a more powerful mid gen refresh if needed. If they want to release a cheaper SKU, make one a discless Xbox Series X, as powerful as a normal Series X. and call it Xbox Series X AD to make a clear distinction between this gen and the previous one.

Will help for advertisement too, because people would be able to easily identify "Series" as being more powerful than PS5, discless or not.

element

Hasn't YET. Everything points to MS retiring the Xbox One hardware likely before end of fiscal 2021 and just have Zen2/RDNA 2 hardware available in-stores.

There is no reason to continue manufacturing Xbox One in any format after 2020 with the type of new hardware model they are talking about.
I'm just going to quote this just for DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop!

It is likely cheaper for MS to discontinue the entire X1 platform and focus all manufacturing resources on Zen2/RDNA2 platform.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
That label just means 4K ultra hd wont be supported on Xbox One, its for the Xbox version. Lockhart definitely exists as a device, but it can be many other alternatives I can think of. The wording makes it look like "Xbox Series X" is the only next gen console. It can be anything
  • Part of the Xbox One family. Runs on the same OS and similar architecture as Xbox Series X but officially labled as part of Xbox One family. This will be Microsoft's low price console.
  • A beefed up Xbox Series X arriving later, costs a lot. Beefed up can mean anything - better specs, running Windows(but can play all Xbox games), modular.
  • It existed but has been cancelled. There are many such devices by Microsoft's hardware team.
  • Blades for xcloud(since 4K can consume too much data for many people).
  • Lockhart and Edinburgh are profiles for Xbox One X and Xbox One S in the GDK.
So anytime new hardware comes out, it's usually a very, very painful experience. When hardware shows up, it's usually half finished or it's crashes a lot, and the API that the programming tools that we use, then usually not finalized or even worse, they can suddenly change halfway through development. And so suddenly you're having to pivot really quickly, but actually Series X has been a very smooth experience. So Microsoft has developed something that they called the game development kit, which is a new replacement. And actually it's going to be utilized on original Xbox One and Xbox One S and Xbox One X.
And that's how everything is going to be developed together, a unified product development all the way from Xbox one up to Series X, but making the most of the hardware features across the board. But there are actually benefits to that as well, so an Xbox one game that was developed before now, could now to perform better if it was made with the new game development kit. And it also has the ability to make use of low latency input, which really, really important for a racing game.
And I'm a big fan of fighting games. So I'm looking forward to some of those coming out in Series X and making most of that too. But all in all, development on Series X has been more of the same, but just allowing me to stop and say, "Okay, my day to day toolset has not changed that much. It's still that familiar Xbox one experience, but now I get to make the most of all of the new toys."

MrMiyagi

Banned
Xbox One X officially discontinued... I called it guys, Series X will just replace the X1X as a niche console for those who absolutely demand 4k and 60fps, while the 4Tflops Lockhart/Series S will actually be their base next gen console.

Somehow I knew a 12Tflops base console was too good to be true, but 4Tflops? That barely sounds like an upgrade :(

ManaByte

Gold Member
Xbox One X officially discontinued... I called it guys, Series X will just replace the X1X as a niche console for those who absolutely demand 4k and 60fps, while the 4Tflops Lockhart/Series S will actually be their base next gen console.

Somehow I knew a 12Tflops base console was too good to be true, but 4Tflops? That barely sounds like an upgrade :(

tumblr_okmezpcIdk1ude31so1_500.gif

DaGwaphics

• Lockhart and Edinburgh are profiles for Xbox One X and Xbox One S in the GDK.

If Lockhart was just an Xbox One X profile, I wonder where Windows Central dug up that 4TF details and all that? If true, we've really spent a lot of time thinking over this unicorn. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom