• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's something off with Claire's face.

GAMETA

Banned
So we just got a costume trailer for RE2 Remake, and gosh, there's something completely off... I'm not even saying she's ugly or anything, there's just something off...

Maybe it's the current lighting tech that doesn't light well what would've been a good model, I dunno...

What do you guys think?

Larxia

Weird baby face.
It's even worse on the cover art
hnjivpe5acg2zlhfoo6x.png

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
I did some editing, not saying mine's better, the comparison just makes the difference a lot more noticeable:

H3WcqeF.png

HKrgIX9.png

AtAk0il.png

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Some people just have odd faces. Claire is one of those people.

No one ever said every video game character had to be pretty.

That's some good editing, btw.

Last edited:

tkscz

No one ever said every video game characters had to be pretty.

She isn't ugly, just looks like a 10 year old, and all of her older models had a longer head.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I know a bartender who has a baby face like that. She is incredibly hot otherwise and its a bit off putting. But that's just how some people look heh

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Code Veronica instilled the perfect Claire for me. That's who I have imagined being the Claire forever. I like the RE2R Claire. I guess it comes from seeing people's faces overtime. In a lifetime, faces change and you use so many different anti-aging products to retain that exact look. Youth brings a face that some people either keep or it changes to define their adult bodies.

f55951527cd99abedab3b83ab9a0638e.jpg

Then there's Revelations 2's Claire.

da9f867ee977b1d3bd0f3c9758a7f75a.png

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned

No one ever said every video game characters had to be pretty.

Yep, I agree that it's not a requirement or anything like that, but devs tend to make characters appealing, not necessarily related to beauty appeal... Just interesting from a visual standpoint... To me she just looks off, not beautiful, not ugly, not anything, just weirdly off.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think because Capcom is going with more hyper realistic with their faces like DMC5. I personally wish they go with much more stylize character model like last DMC and RE games. They could still have realistic textures and lighting but with more stylize character models.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
I think she looks great:
Resident-Evil-2-remake-claire-redfield-sherry-design.jpg

Leon looks odd. I have played a lot of Resident Evil 4 so that might be the reason.

I'd say it's her mouth... the upper lip seems a little weird, as if she had lip injections or something... it gets too much light, make a strange and unrealistic curve, I dunno.... the other attributes look pretty good and realistic.

And yep, Leon looks off at times too, less than Claire in my opinion, though... Some uncanny valley thing, maybe...

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'd say it's her mouth... the upper lip seems a little weird, as if she had lip injections or something... it gets too much light, make a strange and unrealistic curve, I dunno.... the other attributes look pretty good and realistic.

And yep, Leon looks off at times too, less then Claire in my opinion, though... Some uncanny valley thing, maybe...
DhfJcsfX0AIumCo.jpg

Probably just the lighting, the Real Life Model does fit pretty good with the in game model.
Also awkward capture

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Code Veronica instilled the perfect Claire for me. That's who I have imagined being the Claire forever. I like the RE2R Claire. I guess it comes from seeing people's faces overtime. In a lifetime, faces change and you use so many different anti-aging products to retain that exact look. Youth brings a face that some people either keep or it changes to define their adult bodies.

I agree... I like the Darkside Chronicles version too.

kisspng-resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-resident-ev-claire-redfield-5b21ab63adceb0.8739357715289332197119.jpg

SNK Claire, hehe.

GAMETA

Banned
DhfJcsfX0AIumCo.jpg

Probably just the lighting, the Real Life Model does fit pretty good with the in game model.
Also awkward capture

She looks more than fine. The ingame model still looks weird, though... Maybe it's something with the facial rig vs mocap data or something, I don't know..

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
She looks more than fine. The ingame model still looks weird, though... Maybe it's something with the facial rig vs mocap data or something, I don't know..
This why really against mocap for my games. The harder the developers try to match the real faces the weirder the models becomes. I rather have more stylize faces for my games.

Airola

She reminds me of some actress(?) with those wide and heavy mouth sides. I think it makes the face more attractive (I like little odd details like that on faces) and certainly adds more personality. Sadly I can't recall at all who's the actress she reminds me of.

GAMETA

Banned
Did some new adjustments... small tweaks on the mouth make a huge difference, so I'd say there's something off with her mouth indeed

AtAk0il.png

Last edited:

kunonabi

Yeah, her face gives very different impressions depending on the angle and lighting. Claire has never looked all that great to begin with so it isnt that a big of a deal at this point. A new voice actress and the Elza Walker costume is enough to make this incarnation an improvement regardless of anything else anyway.

xwez

Banned
Leon also has abit of a weak chin as well, which is actually further accentuated by his chin cleft.

Last edited:
I wouldn't change these faces at all. Honestly, they've had the desired effect. Leon was 21 in the original game and Claire was 19. Both characters due to technical limitations and actors sounded and looked at least mid-30's. They're practically kids, Claire more-so as a teenager. I'm happy with their looks. Also, they're based on real people as we already know. So I'm looking at this as a fresh take.

Tesseract

Banned
it's mostly the jaw line, the model is super feminine and kinda underdeveloped

i like pork's edit, but it also makes the model look less original

GAMETA

Banned
I wouldn't change these faces at all. Honestly, they've had the desired effect. Leon was 21 in the original game and Claire was 19. Both characters due to technical limitations and actors sounded and looked at least mid-30's. They're practically kids, Claire more-so as a teenager. I'm happy with their looks. Also, they're based on real people as we already know. So I'm looking at this as a fresh take.

Yep, I guess they're trying to convey younger characters... but still...

If you think of it, even their behavior doesn't fit their age.

Fbh

To be honest, between this and DMC5 I just think everyone looks weird in this new Capcom engine.
They are going for a more realistic style than in previous games but everyone just looks...off. It's even worse in motion.

In my head I call it the uncanny valley engine

CatCouch

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks her face is off. I'm almost fully excited, it's just Claire's face and costume changes that are bothering me. I don't like the push to fully westernize the series, I really hope more of the quirky Japanese elements like wacky and sexy alt outfits will show up at some point. Claire's outfit is so bland and when coupled with her unrecognizable face it's kind of killing my excitement for her.

Looking over all the costumes we used to get in previous games and the more stylized character designs I can say I'm disappointed in Capcoms new art direction with their games. It really feels like a step down. I'm also worried the reason we're not seeing her original outfit as a bonus (yet?) is they don't want to get called sexist or something. Original outfits seem like an expectation but since I havne't heard anything I'm a bit concerned. I'm worried they will remake RE3 and Jill will be wearing Jeans and a Jacket with no option for her original tube top/skirt outfit.

I feel like Capcom is losing too much of the "character" in their art recently. It's boring to me and doesn't evoke the joy I used to get when looking forward to RE games. REVII's Chris Redfield had the same problem.

The edits here are immediately more appealing to me.

After seeing the real life face capture models for DMCV, there is something off with Capcom's face capturing.

57zqwd05q0p11.png

Nico was an improvement, but the women that did Trish should be offended, Nero and Lady also look off compared to there real life counterpart. Dante and V they seem to got about right.

Vawn

Banned
Weird baby face.
It's even worse on the cover art
hnjivpe5acg2zlhfoo6x.png

I still think this looks more like some kids doing cosplay of Leon and Claire than how I imagine them really looking.

But after comparing Chris Redfield in REmake, RE5 and RE7, it's clear Capcom cannot stick to how any of these characters should look.

Kreydo

After seeing the real life face capture models for DMCV, there is something off with Capcom's face capturing.

57zqwd05q0p11.png

Nico was an improvement, but the women that did Trish should be offended, Nero and Lady also look off compared to there real life counterpart. Dante and V they seem to got about right.

It's because of the complexion.

While the 3D scanner Capcom use to get those face in 3D can be very precise, it don't catch the lighting/reflexion, the make up details, and all the correct bones/joint for facial animation.

All those face can be EASLY, and I mean it EASLY corrected by just doing sublte change to the face complexion(texture), but I doubt Capcom does it.
Any modder could do it within a day with the proper tools.

Last edited:

brap

Banned

57zqwd05q0p11.png

Crapcom lol. Like seriously damn.

Aggelos

Ya in this recently released video featuring the military costume, the mouth looks kinda out and off. Don't know what happened.

Resident-Evil-2_2018_06-11-18_018.jpg

Resident-Evil-2_2018_07-20-18_001.jpg

tumblr_pfo6h5plqk1vsbrte9j.jpg

tumblr_pfo6h5plqk1vsbrminv.jpg

Airbus Jr

Banned

Should ve kept the RE Degeneration(2008) design

That's the best version of Claire imo

GAMETA

Banned

57zqwd05q0p11.png

Dante looks f***ing awesome :goog_devil:

gela94

A bit too much botox dear claire and don't they both look kinda old, isn't Claire like 19 and Chris 21?

-MD-

I honestly love her look in this game, there are a couple shots in cutscenes where she has crazy eyes and a bit of a derp face, hopefully those are fixed by release.

Top Bottom