• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These Women Could Beat Trump, So Naturally They’re Being Attacked Like Hillary

flkraven

“This is exactly what happens when women have the audacity to think about running for the highest office in the land,” Debbie Walsh, director of the Center for American Women and Politics, tells Newsweek. “We’ve seen this double standard of language confronting female candidates forever. A man is ‘strong,’ while a woman is ‘aggressive.’ A man ‘speaks out,’ a woman is ‘shrill.’ A man is ‘serious,’ a woman doesn’t smile enough. Sadly, here we are in 2017, and this is still the case.”

Gillibrand, a rising senator from New York and lifelong women’s health advocate, has been the subject of misogynistic attacks throughout 2017. One right wing news outlet derided her for attempting to “look like the cool parent on the club soccer sideline,” noting it’s even worse she’s a “vocal proponent of feminism.” The Washington Times penned a piece on Harris titled, “Kamala Harris: Eric Holder in a Skirt.” Warren has been described as “toxic” for the Democratic Party by the right wing media and members of the Republican National Committee, including spokesperson Rick Gorka, who said comparing her to Democratic Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi “will be an effective way to brand vulnerable Democrats.”

Whereas some folks will inevitably lambast female candidates regardless of their political identity—former Republican candidate Carly Fiorina was also attacked by both Trump and voters for her appearance—the tides could soon be turning on how the majority of the nation views those critiques, Lake noted.

“The problem with the narrative that Hillary wasn’t the right female candidate won’t hold up, since there will be so many of them running,” Lake continued. “But likability will always remain a bigger issue for women. It’s much harder for a woman to run if she is disliked, while voters will totally vote for a man who is qualified even if they don’t like him.”

http://www.newsweek.com/woman-could-beat-trump-2020-attacked-hillary-656108

"I don't know. I mean she's got the experience and the know-how, but she just comes off as so cold and even bitchy sometimes."

shiba5

It’s much harder for a woman to run if she is disliked, while voters will totally vote for a man who is qualified even if they don’t like him.”

Or one who is totally unqualified.

The messaging machine of the left isn't up to the task of beating back the abject nonsense coming from the right. If we ever want this country to come to its senses and stop favoring extreme right policies and politicians that needs to change.

So is common wisdom the opposite? That women aren't disproportionally scrutinized when running for office.
No, it's true in this country. Trivially true. But it's also a muddying tactic when there are actual substantive concerns about a candidate who happens to be a woman.

My perspective on this is a little skewed because I grew up in a country where the president was a woman from 1990 to 2011 inclusive, so it's weird to me that my adopted country even has this level of latent misogyny. America never ceases to surprise!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Once they have decided to run, women candidates are actually no less likely to win than equivalent male candidates. This is relatively well-corroborated data in political science, across (for example):

Kathleen Dolan (2004, 50) "Voting for Women: How the Public Evaluates Women Candidates. Boulder: Westview Press"
Fox, Richard L. (2010) ”Congressional Elections: Women's Candidacies and the Road to Gender Parity." In Gender and Elections, 2nd edition, eds. S. Carroll and R. Fox. New York: Cambridge University Press
Lawless, Jennifer L. and Kathryn Pearson. (2008) ”The Primary Reason for Women's Under- Representation: Re-Evaluating the Conventional Wisdom." Journal of Politics 70(1):67-82
Smith, Eric R.A.N. and Richard L. Fox. (2001) ”A Research Note: The Electoral Fortunes of Women Candidates for Congress." Political Research Quarterly 54(1):205-21
Cook, Elizabeth Adell. (1998) ”Voter Reaction to Women Candidates." In Women and Elective Of ce, eds. S. Thomas and C. Wilcox. New York: Oxford University Press
J. Newman and M. Voorhees Leighton (1997) "Sex as a Political Variable." Boulder: Lynne Reinner

They also raise equivalent amount of funds, and receive equal air-time.

The reason there are less women politicians isn't because they don't win - they win at comparable rates to men - it's because they don't run. The mainstay of the sexism is one stage earlier in the process - there's cultural pressure on women to be more risk-averse, women are typically expected to perform domestic roles that prevent them from entering the earliest stages of a political career as councillors/state representatives/etc., women are conditioned to under-perceive rather than over-perceive their achievements and see themselves as less likely to win than equivalent male candidates.

So I don't think this will be a very successful tactic for the GOP, since, given their intention to run, Harris and Gillibrand have already 'made it', and you would not expect their genders to have significant impacts on their likelihood of success from this point on.

Warren could not beat Trump IMO.

I completely support everything she says, but even I do not like her method of delivery / discussing things. Not saying I wouldn't vote for her, it's just how I feel, especially about how other people will react to her. And I'm about as anti-trump as one could possibly get.

Warren is a laughable candidate and wouldn't beat Trump. Not impressed by Gillibrand at all. Harris is very good.

I'd bet money that the nominee won't be a woman in 2020. Part of that is sexism, the other part is there aren't that many good female politicians who have the clout or talent to win the democrat primary process. Harris is the only one I'd take seriously.

jtb

Banned
So I don't think this will be a very successful tactic for the GOP, since, given their intention to run, Harris and Gillibrand have already 'made it', and you would not expect their genders to have significant impacts on their likelihood of success from this point on.

Do smear campaigns reduce women's likelihood of running in the first place?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Do smear campaigns reduce women's likelihood of running in the first place?

Yes, absolutely. Women candidates are equally as likely to win as male candidates, but perceive their chances as significantly lower than they actually are, and smear campaigns play a large role in that. The main advantage of sexist smear campaigns is not in damaging the chances of the woman who is actually running, but by deterring potentially high-quality women candidates in the future.

This:

https://www.american.edu/spa/wpi/upload/2012-men-rule-report-web.pdf

is phenomenal reading if you want to understand the problem of the lack of women in politics. Well-sourced, clear to read, concrete policy solutions.

Most of the most actionable things can (and need) to be done at grassroots level. For example, women are significantly less likely to be encouraged to run by friends and family compared to an equivalent man. If you know a woman who you think would do well in an entry-level political post, stop reading this post and go tell her right now!

I know I'll get some hate for this but can we please just pick an easy slam dunk candidate. Not someone who is going to alienate voters (regardless of if that's fair or not). We need to get back to normal before we can reach for new heights.

jtb

Banned
Yes, absolutely. Women candidates are equally as likely to win as male candidates, but perceive their chances as significantly lower than they actually are, and smear campaigns play a large role in that. The main advantage of sexist smear campaigns is not in damaging the chances of the woman who is actually running, but by deterring potentially high-quality women candidates in the future.

This:

https://www.american.edu/spa/wpi/upload/2012-men-rule-report-web.pdf

is phenomenal reading if you want to understand the problem of the lack of women in politics. Well-sourced, clear to read, concrete policy solutions.

Thanks -- looking forward to giving this a read

I know I'll get some hate for this but can we please just pick an easy slam dunk candidate. Not someone who is going to alienate voters (regardless of if that's fair or not). We need to get back to normal before we can reach for new heights.

One could argue this is the thinking that led to Hillary's coronation in the first place

Let them fight to the (political) death. The best candidate will survive, and be stronger for it.

One could argue this is the thinking that led to Hillary's coronation in the first place

Let them fight to the (political) death. The best candidate will survive, and be stronger for it.

I'm not suggesting rigging anything obviously but we need to be practical in who we nominate. Hillary was obviously the wrong choice but she still won the nomination fairly.

platocplx

you are going to get a lot of hate for this because its honestly a dumb concept, has always been silly. EVERY SINGLE CANDIDATE is flawed in some way. So just asking for this "slam dunk" is not realistic people need to get over themselves and stop needing to fall in love with candidates and worry more about what policies they are looking to put in place. There isnt anyone that will not alienate some voter and quite honestly i am tired of people crying about candidates they arent in love with over what platform they are running on. That matters more. We dont always like everything about the people we work with for what ever reason but as long as they are capable of doing a good job that matter way more than all these silly things people look to discredit people for,.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
"Hillary can't do this thing or this thing or this thing or this thing or else she loses the debate."
"All Trump has to do is tone it down and he wins"

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME

Hillary has to be perfect but not too perfect

Trump has to say words that sound like english

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"Hillary can't do this thing or this thing or this thing or this thing or else she loses the debate."

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME

Trump seems really unique in his "ability" to somehow spew out crap that just doesn't matter. It's amazing how far people, even those predisposed against supporting him, lowered the bar for his conduct.

"Binders full of women" and "47%" seemed to have a tangible effect on Romney. Trump could say those quotes back to back during a debate and he'd be praised if he managed to spit them out in the form of coherent sentences.

you are going to get a lot of hate for this because its honestly a dumb concept, has always been silly. EVERY SINGLE CANDIDATE is flawed in some way. So just asking for this "slam dunk" is not realistic people need to get over themselves and stop needing to fall in love with candidates and worry more about what policies they are looking to put in place. There isnt anyone that will not alienate some voter and quite honestly i am tired of people crying about candidates they arent in love with over what platform they are running on. That matters more. We dont always like everything about the people we work with for what ever reason but as long as they are capable of doing a good job that matter way more than all these silly things people look to discredit people for,.
You are saying people need to get over themselves and I'm the one being dumb? I'm being practical. People are going to act exactly the same as every other election which is why we need to minimize exposure to lose independents/democrat non voters.

legacyzero

Banned
If I vote it would be for a Warten ticket. But not a Harris ticket.

"But if you don't vote for Harris or Clinton you're sexist". Gtfo
It's almost as if there are people that vote for what a candidate stands for over anything else. I disliked Clinton in the Primary for obvious reasons. But voted in the GE for her to "do my part".

You can't just default to sexism when not supporting a female candidate. I mean... Carly Fiorna was running for President lol. I'd support an actually great candidate that has a great policy stance. Warren is effectively that. My only complaint about her was not doing the principled thing and supporting Bernie in the Primary. But I see her being a contender in 2020. She's clearly running.

rjinaz

I'll vote for anybody Democrat over Trump. It's that simple, he's shit, and dangerous.

I think Harris has the only realistic shot though for a woman in this political climate. We need somebody that can beat Trump we have to put forward the most electable person as possible.

iammeiam

Saw this a lot from pundits on news coverage last year.

So the election was pretty depressing overall, but I hit this low point of just all-consuming rage when Clinton gave her concession speech. We were already well into "STOP USING SEXISM AS AN EXCUSE, SHE WAS BAD IT WAS NEVER SEXISM AT ALL EVER" at that point.

So she's giving a speech with what, to me, seemed like the kind of emotional control you have to develop to find a way to be assertive, female, and not immediately accused of getting emotional in a professional setting.

So it's this fairly controlled speech from somebody who certainly looked upset to me, and people immediately start ragging on her for being 'cold' and 'robotic' because she wasn't conveying the amount of upset they wanted.

She didn't lose solely because of sexism, but the rules for women are different. I know about the Trump/Clinton debate gender swap thing, and I think things surrounding that get kind of complicated, but the refusal to see the role the differing standards for women played in Clinton's defeat is incredibly depressing because it makes things like this article seem inevitable. We can't address the issue if we don't acknowledge it exists.

I'll vote for whoever is the nominee In the GE and pick who I want in the primary.

You'd think such a basic concept would be understood by folks.

legacyzero

Banned

I'll bite-

Who would that be? And unfortunately, your idea already hits a wall when the DNC is more unpopular than the most unpopular President in history. Right now, the DNC is totally incapable of even reaching the RIM, much less a slam dunk. I agree that a slam dunk win would be great, but the DNC is a lot like a fellow player on your team blocking your own attempt at the dunk, and wondering why you're mad at them afterward.

Thats the problem with all this. The DNC is playing too hard a role in determining who that 'slam dunk' is. And their idea of what it means is completely different than what the people want. Right now, the people who are being rumored to be running, aren't slam dunk candidates at all. In fact, they carry a lot of the same burden that Hillary carried going in to 2015/16. Establishment, corporate dems being chained by their preference to the party and donors over the people. And there's no sign of this being fixed anytime soon, unfortunately

Cipherr

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME

That was annoying as hell. I mean, unbelievably annoying. It wasn't just the media doing that either. Thats the real takeaway. It was all across the board you could notice it. All Trump needed to do was not meltdown, while Hillary had to be picture perfect.

It was amazing all the "She's smiling too much" vs "She isn't showing any emotion, totally robotic" while Trump literally self immolated when trying to answer simple questions and people viewed it as okay.

I'll bite-

Who would that be? And unfortunately, your idea already hits a wall when the DNC is more unpopular than the most unpopular President in history. Right now, the DNC is totally incapable of even reaching the RIM, much less a slam dunk. I agree that a slam dunk win would be great, but the DNC is a lot like a fellow player on your team blocking your own attempt at the dunk, and wondering why you're mad at them afterward.

Thats the problem with all this. The DNC is playing too hard a role in determining who that 'slam dunk' is. And their idea of what it means is completely different than what the people want. Right now, the people who are being rumored to be running, aren't slam dunk candidates at all. In fact, they carry a lot of the same burden that Hillary carried going in to 2015/16. Establishment, corporate dems being chained by their preference to the party and donors over the people. And there's no sign of this being fixed anytime soon, unfortunately

You are right, its a mess. Slam dunk is too strong of a word I suppose. We need someone like Obama in the sense that he was clean and there was very little ammo to use against him. Obviously there isn't a 1 to 1 out there or else this would be easy. Someone who has been in politics for 40 years is not going to be a good choice.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That was annoying as hell. I mean, unbelievably annoying. It wasn't just the media doing that either. Thats the real takeaway. It was all across the board you could notice it. All Trump needed to do was not meltdown, while Hillary had to be picture perfect.

It was amazing all the "She's smiling too much" vs "She isn't showing any emotion, totally robotic" while Trump literally self immolated when trying to answer simple questions and people viewed it as okay.

"Trump didn't shit his pants so by definition he did good"

In all seriousness, I hope Kamala runs. Much young candidate than Hillary, Bernie or Warren (even though I really like Warren) and has a great background. I guess it comes down to, who would be the ideal running mate? Maybe Schumer?

legacyzero

Banned
You are right, its a mess. Slam dunk is too strong of a word I suppose. We need someone like Obama in the sense that he was clean and there was very little ammo to use against him. Obviously there isn't a 1 to 1 out there or else this would be easy. Someone who has been in politics for 40 years is not going to be a good choice.

Being a politician for 40 and being disregarded for that is kind of arbitrary. I'd vote for somebody that shows very good principle over that time frame, and holds a good policy position now. Now if you show tons of political expedient flip-flopping over that time, I wouldn't be surprised if you're called out for all of it.

So that would really depend on the candidate.

Juice

Solving the cultural toxicity towards women leaders is very important and will take decades.

Running a woman for president will result in fewer votes because of that cultural toxicity.

Winning elections is vitally urgent and can't wait for a cultural movement to transform hearts and minds.

As a result I really hope the democrats suck up this frustration and get behind a likable strong white man like Jason Kander in 2020.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'd be quite pleased with any of them. But I think Warren might serve better as a VP than POTUS, if only because she might be able to then focus more on domestic issues and initiatives. Plus legitimate or not, the age factor is not going to help her at all.

She's much stronger when it comes to domestic issues and policy and her personality and command of the issues and language would serve her very well as the the President's "attack dog" getting out there and campaigning across the country and in Washington on their behalf. Her passion is very genuine and having her able to dedicate more time to that than be stretched thin by the office of the Presidency might be more worthwhile for those policies.

Everyone loved Diamond Joe and he did great in the role, but he wasn't without his faux pas and misstatements. Warren has as much, if not way more, bite than Joe, but isn't as goofy/cavalier as him leading to a foot in the mouth. Though she still very personable.

So I'd be thrilled for a Harris/Warren or Gillibrand/Warren ticket, however unlikely that may be. Most likely they'll want a male VP to "balance" the ticket as well as someone with greater Foreign Policy experience which they're all rather light on.

The guy on the piano here is who you're looking for:

http://www.latimes.com/93142699-132.html

Eric Garcetti is a lot like Obama. If he gets to the Senate next year and runs for President as he is rumored to I strongly believe he will win the nomination.

Top Bottom