• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief 4 - First 'Screenshot'

RjCUi.png

zd0gY.jpg

Hold your horses, for the first screenshot of Thief 4 has been found.

The most immediate thing about the snapshot (caught by JeuxVideo) is that the game is presented in third-person, even when a bow is being aimed.

There's also no glaringly obvious 'how dark is it - can I be seen?' icon on the HUD, although the transparent white circle in the middle of the screen could be it.

Eidos is expected to unveil Thief 4 at the Game Developers Conference next week.

A second team at Deus Ex: Human Revolution studio Eidos Montreal will make Thief 4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-25-first-thief-4-screenshot-found

Update...

Sn4ke_911 said:
an interesting comment on RPS

"Sources near the project (on it, really) say:

There is a light gem.
The 3rd person was a test, it’s not the case any more.
The bow is the animation. He’s taking out the bow at that time. He holds it a bit slanted ” / “.
The light wasn’t properly done in this build, so it’s supposed to be dark, that’s what the red line says in the top left corner."

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=116778&page=4

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
Whats with the stop watch?

Timing how long it takes for people to complain.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully Thief 4 will keep a sophisticated level of stealth and not having to dumb it down to players like we had in SC:Conviction. Please don't let us down, E montreal.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
ResidentDante said:
I can't believe how bad Thief 4 looks compared to Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3

I can't believe you judge the graphics by this shitty blurry screenshot.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ceebs said:
So Thief: Modern Times? Was this already known?

Looks like the 20th century to me with the lamps and the archetecture. It did seem the world was going that course considering where the world's technology was in the previous chapter.

Regardless of this being a pretty stupid screen it gets me so fucking pumped for a new thief game. Did they confirm that this is a modern day iteration. Gosh I hope that was scrapped. What a world they built and to ignore it with something in a totally different setting would set me ablaze with the fury of a demon.

GreatSage

Banned
ZombieFred said:
Hopefully Thief 4 will keep a sophisticated level of stealth and not having to dumb it down to players like we had in SC:Conviction. Please don't let us down, E montreal.

Using SC: Conviction as a benchmark for stealth gameplay, is like using Jeffrey Dahmer as a benchmark for philanthropy.

Gasped audibly when I read the thread title but I knew it wasn't going to much based on the quotes but I'm so excited anyway and at least I know it surely does really exist OMGOMGOMG

raphier

Banned
Needs more "cover-behind-wall" stance. And Eagle Vision to become Goty contender. oh and oh a tomato filled screen!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
GreatSage said:
Using SC: Conviction as a benchmark for stealth gameplay, is like using Jeffrey Dahmer as a benchmark for philanthropy.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is the true pinacle of what stealth games can become. I wouldn't be surprised that some of the team on this thief project are people from Ubisoft Montreal that worked on the former title. I'm stocked either way.

GreatSage

Banned
ZombieFred said:
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is the true pinacle of what stealth games can become. I wouldn't be surprised that some of the team on this thief project are people from Ubisoft Montreal that worked on the former title. I'm stocked either way.

No surprise at all, David Anfossi is on the Thief 4 team and he worked on SC:CT

DaBuddaDa

Of all game series, the Thief series is the antithesis of everything modern, hand-holding game design is all about. I am extremely nervous about the dumbing down of this property.

Pooya

GreatSage said:
No surprise at all, David Anfossi team is on the Thief 4 and he worked on SC:CT
No, he is not, he is the producer of Deus Ex HR. There are many ex-Ubi Montreal staff working at Eidos Montreal though.

Gorgon

If this is set in "modern times" I'm out. But I can't really be certain for sure if that is the case based on that screeshot.

hiryu said:
I hope it's good. I think the series will work really well in 3rd person.
I agree. Though I'd love a mixed view choice...that may be too much work though.

After looking at it more I can't even figure out what that is in the foreground. Is it a fucking cannon or something?!

StuBurns

Banned
I've looked at the shot plenty now, and I have literally no idea what it is, I can't see a guy, I can't see a bow, nothing.

StuBurns said:
I've looked at the shot plenty now, and I have literally no idea what it is, I can't see a guy, I can't see a bow, nothing.

The guy is that big guy-looking thing (with a hood), and the bow is that big bow-looking thing to his right

Gorgon

revolverjgw said:
Because of lamps? Thief 2 had INTELLIGENT ROBOTS

That's why I didn't like it. Oh, and the fucking survailance cameras. Whoever got that idea should have been shot.

First one still the best.

Top Bottom