• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief | Review thread

p0V7Yu8.png

I think we should create some sort of effigy version of him. I miss his rather on-point criticism.

Horns

It's what I would have expected from reviews. I haven't combed through the reviews yet, but I do want to see what they say about console performance differences.

Nugg

I was secretly hoping a Deus Ex HR situation. I remember everyone hating it before release and it turned out to be pretty good.

I'm still curious, is it also a bad game for someone who has zero knowledge of the Thief series? I mean, is it a bad game, or just a bad Thief game

Ricker

Eurogamer Italy: 9/10

'One of the best action-stealth titles in years and the first serious contender for the “2014 Game of the Year” contest.'

Who to believe...this or Lazygamers 6.9...not a 7 but a 6.9,that's being pretty thorought there ;)

Number45

Happy enough with these scores. Was never going to be day one, but at least it should be fun when I do get around to picking it up (or it goes free on PS+).

Azebra

Banned
I was secretly hoping a Deus Ex HR situation. I remember everyone hating it before release and it turned out to be pretty good.

I'm still curious, is it also a bad game for someone who has zero knowledge of the Thief series? I mean, is it a bad game, or just a bad Thief game

Seems to be pulling an Other M, a decent game, but a bad Metroid game.

Xater

Pretty glad now I decided to get banished and not getting this. Reviews are even worse than I expected.

tookhster

Wow, I was expecting this to be around the 85% range but apparently a lot of complaints come from technical stuff like the AI. Damn, I wanted this game to be good.

I'll still pick it up and try it out since I'm a sucker for stealth games.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Currently playing Dishonored and having a blast, such a fun and rewarding stealth game. Looks like Thief has some good values which are overshadowed by some major problems like bad level design, weak story and average AI. Will wait for the eventual Steam Sale to get this

I played Thief II for the first time about a month and a half ago and it was arguably one of the finest stealth experiences I've ever played. I decided to wait to play this before going back and playing Thief I and DS. Man, do I regret that decision.

I'll still play this... but man. It hurts. The Dark Mod is in my future, it seems.

FHIZ

You'd think everyone gave it a 4/10 by the reactions in here...

As someone who wasn't really a Thief fan before, this looks fun, I need something to play, and since I had no real expectations, I'm in.

About what I expected. A lot of 6s, but I expected a lot of 7s. Some 8s are nice. It looks fun, I'll enjoy it once it hits around $30 or so.

iMax

I see Kotaku aren't holding back any punches.

Kotaku said:
Thief is a woeful disappointment, a bowl of stealth gruel best pushed aside in favor of tastier fare. Let it sit, let it grow cold, and let it be rinsed away.

KORNdoggy

knew it would be devisive.

you have the guys who wanted a re-tread of thief 2 (unrealistic expectations much?)

and you have the guys who never cared or who are open to change.

pre-order kept.

antitrop

As someone who wasn't really a Thief fan before, this looks fun, I need something to play, and since I had no real expectations, I'm in.

A 6/10 for a AAA game is about as low as they will ever score. That puts it at Medal of Honor: Warfighter tier.

Wag

Well, considering I only paid like $7 for the game I don't feel too badly about this. It's about what I expected.

RaikuHebi

Banned
My expectations were obviously really low because that's better than I expected and Ludwig gave it a decent score and I trust his word.

Orayn

$5 on the 2014 Christmas sale it is! (Not gonna waste $10 this Summer.)

7-10 review scale. 6 or 7 is the lowest they'll ever give to a high budget game from a big publisher in most cases, with 5 and under usually being reserved for shovelware and joke reviews.

Top Bottom