• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief | Review thread

GavinUK86

like most, i remember when a 6 or a 7 was a bloody great game. nowadays people throw shit if a game gets that. let's drop the scoring system and use 5 stars or something. i'm definately getting this now i know it's a decent game. if it got 4's then i'd stay well away but come on, those scores are pretty decent.

(Editor and co-director of Rock, Paper, Shotgun)
oU9.png

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/437952086425493504

God, what a fucking stupid thing to say. People are being pretty clear in their reviews the issues they are having with the game.

like most, i remember when a 6 or a 7 was a bloody great game. nowadays people throw shit if a game gets that. let's drop the scoring system and use 5 stars or something. i'm definately getting this now i know it's a decent game. if it got 4's then i'd stay well away but come on, those scores are pretty decent.

days when 6 or 7 were a bloody great games were days when you were a child. game reviewing hasnt changed you just grew up

Carcetti

Note: You can play through the entire game comfortably without using focus. It's not a busted, gameplay integral ability.

Pretty much. Even enabled it's best 'flashing out' coins and such since perfectionists are gonna get a stroke trying to find 100% of the loot otherwise.

not necessarily
human revolution, by the same studio - but not the same team, was very good

but in the case of thief, developer comments and details revealed months ago that this will not be a good game

ya thats true, but deus ex did have a very bad second game, so human revolution did its job being loyal to the first game. this one is just not.

Xater

Or the overwhelming prerelease negativity trended the review scores downwards. Nothing is ever reviewed in a vacuum after all. I'm expecting this to be one of those games that people are saying "woah I overlooked this at launch because of the terrible press but actually I'm enjoying it" a year from now. I see people saying nice things about a piece of utter shit like Remember Me so why the hell not?

There are defenders of everything. I just know that as an old time fan I will not be happy with it. Money saved and anger spared!

GorillaJu

Thief is far from the disaster that many feared it would be, and fans who take the time to customise their settings ahead of their first playthrough will find a rewarding world here to pick clean. Nevertheless, it’s still difficult to shake the feeling that, for all his dexterity, Garrett has stumbled in his attempt to gain access to a new generation.

Sounds good enough for me. It may not be an instant classic but will definitely pick it up some time over the next few months.

I loved Dishonored, and I don't expect Thief to strike me the same way, but the description in the Eurogamer review makes it sound like a ride well-worth taking.

Scores don't seem that bad. Why are people acting like it's doomed? Even if you go by 6's and 7's being shit, it still is getting a few 8's. People in this thread are incredibly dramatic.

Still probably not gonna get the game but still...

Xater

Scores don't seem that bad. Why are people acting like it's doomed? Even if you go by 6's and 7's being shit, it still is getting a few 8's. People in this thread are incredibly dramatic.

Still probably not gonna get the game but still...

It's a very poor turnout by AAA standards. Especially when you think about how much time and money Square probably sunk into this.

Ashame that the Deus Ex studio couldn't pull off another great game,

Not the same people within that studio were involved with Thief.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Turning off waypoint markers won't change how easy it to blackjack everyone in small encounter zones, and how AI seemingly loses you the moment you enter a vent, and cannot wake up knocked out companions.

Nice review

Cheers!

On the bright side, most shitty, annualized franchises get nothing but 8s and 9s from the very same publications giving this game 6s and 7s (IGNGAMESPOT *cough*), so perhaps it's much better than we think. I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow.

BraXzy

Some choice quotes from various reviews:

"A city full of closed doors and dead ends, boxed in and lined with nothing but rough edges: That's Thief."

"Too many enemies, too-small corridors and too finicky response from Garrett stifles the sense of exploration that Eidos Montreal pays lip service to early on. "

"Between the hit-or-miss missions is an extremely annoying city hub map and a weak story full of bland characters"

Really disappointing, I was looking forward to it.

antitrop

I like how there's all this nostalgia for the glory days of video game reviews that never actually existed.

Sendou

It's hard to give the game a chance. It looks pretty decent but like has been pointed out 7/10 is just so weak of a score for AAA blockbuster.

even if this did score better, it would still probably be a steam sale game for me because its almost guaranteed to be less than $10 in 1 year from now at the latest.

DukeBobby

Scores aren't bad, but a Thief game should be scoring better than this.

It looks like a decent £15 purchase. Oh wait, that's how much I paid for it!

Pretty much. Even enabled it's best 'flashing out' coins and such since perfectionists are gonna get a stroke trying to find 100% of the loot otherwise.

I recall somebody raising the point the other day regarding old games having extremely few environmental objects and graphical limitations making them stand out a lot more. When you have detailed environments with huge numbers of non-interactible objects that are never the less made with high-quality assets, it can be mind numbing to check everything.

I'm glad the option to turn off object highlights is there, but I definitely think it has a place in game design. Even DX had a kind of highlight with those green boxes, although admittedly they don't work from a long distance.

6-7 being bad isn't a game review exclusive thing. In school, failure usually hits between 60-70. Most likely because you shouldn't really pass unless you get more than half the answers correct. Game reviews (and I think most percent reviews in general) follow this pattern, where anything below a 70 or so is "failure" and numbers below 60 or so don't even matter. There really isn't a difference between a 1/10 and a 5/10, just like in a school grading system.

Also as a child you probably didn't get a lot of games (I know I didn't), so you made the best of what you had at the time. This meant finding ways to enjoy broken or bad games, because it was either this bad game or no game at all.

Lulubop

That damage control is serious.

So... just so I'm clear, is it being shat on because it's actually bad bad, or "bad" in the same way DmC was "bad" because it wasn't like it's predecessors?

Silly me, I completely missed it. Thanks, watching now.

Mine is also in the OT now :D

So... just so I'm clear, is it being shat on because it's actually bad bad, or "bad" in the same way DmC was "bad" because it wasn't like it's predecessors?

It's being shat on depending who you ask. It's obvious some of the issues that folks had with the game were easier to overlook then others. It's also not the most polished game, so therefore the reviews it's getting. I can say, even with the more damning scores, I can completely understand their frustrations. Yet I still found the game interesting enough and fun to finish it and would play the game again to get more collectables or achievements.

Yup, glad i didn't pre-order this

I cannot really tell what is going on in this thread. Those reviews scores are pretty good, yet I see quotes like the one above, and "OUCH" etc. What am I missing? Those scores are definitely above average and this game is far from awful.

Honestly, I thought the review scores would be much lower. My interest in this game is definitely not changed based on an average 7/10 review score. That is solid in my opinion. Not great, but not awful by any stretch.

Right now, the PS4 version of Thief is sitting at a 72 Meta Score, since when was that bad? Heck, even the Xbox One Meta of 68 isnt horrible.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I recall somebody raising the point the other day regarding old games having extremely few environmental objects and graphical limitations making them stand out a lot more. When you have detailed environments with huge numbers of non-interactible objects that are never the less made with high-quality assets, it can be mind numbing to check everything.

I'm glad the option to turn off object highlights is there, but I definitely think it has a place in game design. Even DX had a kind of highlight with those green boxes, although admittedly they don't work from a long distance.
The first time I heard that argument was when Ken Levine made it for the original BioShock.

Carcetti

Exactly. The new Thieft seems to have lots more loot than the old ones, too, and a lot of it is inside openable drawers.

Top Bottom