• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thimbleweed Park - a Ron Gilbert game |OT| Thirty-scumm years of adventures

Shinjica

am I about half way through the game? I was able to spend another 4 hours on it yesterday

I was able to get the map by using the police scanner
can't get into the abandoned pillow factory but paid a visit to delores and ransome.
can't get into the mansion mansion with the agents, I've already submitted the evidence and gotten the print out for the fingertron and the facetron. I have the bloody wallet and the toilet paper with blood on it, but the blood is dripping off the toilet paper and I can't put it into the machine.

I was able to get the pigeon brothers into the hotel, and I stole the wrench but I think that's it for them? I haven't had a need for the wrench yet.

I got the tube remover with delores and removed the one at the broadcasting studio but nothing happened. I also replaced the movietron broken tube with the one in my inventory even though I had no reason to do that.

still can't figure out how to get franklin into the penthouse

still can't figure out how to find a spotter for ransome for the trampoline

I think when I play tonight I'm going to try and take ransome to the voodoo woman. I was sitting in bed after I closed out of the game and was disappointed that I haven't tried that yet

some action can only be done in certain chapter

You need to dry the blood, what do you use for dry a part of body outside your home?

dk_

Early game spoilers (played 1 h 30 min):

I found myself in the sewers. The way I got out of there was that I took the female agent and dialed the number written down there with her mobile phone. But technically she didn't know her partner was down there. I guess the correct way is that you can speak through the gully cover and toss the 10c down so that he can dial on the telephone in the serwers. Am I correct?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed it. A lot of good writing and fun characters. The ending seemed to come up quickly though, suddenly it was all over when it felt like there was a lot unexplored still.

I'm really happy I backed it and the end result though.

The one thing that stood out to me was that it flowed really well. They put a lot of work into refining the formula to always be able to keep the player moving. I felt like there was a clear evolution over older games in that I never really hit a roadblock in the same way as in the past. I could always push forward with something else and then come back with a new answer or perspective.

The start of the game faltered a little but I feel like it came together pretty quickly, in the end I felt all the voice acting and everything was pretty good and added to it.

Edit: I played on 'hard' if it matters

Bookman

Help! Need help to
feed li'l beeper.
I have picked upp every popcorn and used the cheese on the mousehole that the mouse is going to. No nothing happens.i can use the chees on other holes but nothing seems to happen. I cant use the cheese on the hole I have used it on. What to do?

Help! Need help to
feed li'l beeper.
I have picked upp every popcorn and used the cheese on the mousehole that the mouse is going to. No nothing happens.i can use the chees on other holes but nothing seems to happen. I cant use the cheese on the hole I have used it on. What to do?

What you were supposed to do is leave the cheese at the mousehole, leave the area, then come back - I'm guessing you picked it up straight away?

Anyway, there's a bug that makes the mousehole hotspots disappear once you use them once if the mouse is in a certain location. There's a patch already out on steam/gog galaxy for it I believe. I think it will autofix your saved game too.

Bookman

Thanx sir crocodile.

After playing this a while I really start to like this game. I mean really, really like it. I didn't back it on kickstarter but I would certainly back a sequel. What do you think the chances for a sequel are and would you back it?

Do you think that it's nostalgia talking or can the game stand on it's own feet?

As I said, I really like it. It's a 10/10 GOTY game for me personally.

I would certainly back a sequel/another gilbert adventure game on kickstarter, though I think he said he'd prefer to make his next one off the profits of this rather then relying on kickstarter, so I hope it does well.

I don't think it's nostalgia as I've been playing P&C games for about 30 years and Thimbleweed Park has by far the best, most logical puzzles of any P&C I've ever played. When I solve one that was difficult and took me a while, it always makes sense - there's never the feeling of "How was I supposed to get THAT?" that you often get in P&C game puzzes *cough*DISCWORLD*cough*. And yet even though they are all very logical, quite a few of them are still very difficult, and that's an incredible testament to the game making skill of Ron and his team, because I don't think it's ever been pulled off to this level of success in a P&C game before.

The evolution of the scumm GUI - being able to see under the verbs, the parser moving to on-mouse - are very welcome improvements too.

The only downsides are the lack of good use of the verbs - you can't "look" at people for example, and a lack of dialogue between the five characters.

I'd give it 9/10 personally.

Brashnir

I would certainly back a sequel/another gilbert adventure game on kickstarter, though I think he said he'd prefer to make his next one off the profits of this rather then relying on kickstarter, so I hope it does well.

I don't think it's nostalgia as I've been playing P&C games for about 30 years and Thimbleweed Park has by far the best, most logical puzzles of any P&C I've ever played. When I solve one that was difficult and took me a while, it always makes sense - there's never the feeling of "How was I supposed to get THAT?" that you often get in P&C game puzzes *cough*DISCWORLD*cough*. And yet even though they are all very logical, quite a few of them are still very difficult, and that's an incredible testament to the game making skill of Ron and his team, because I don't think it's ever been pulled off to this level of success in a P&C game before.

The evolution of the scumm GUI - being able to see under the verbs, the parser moving to on-mouse - are very welcome improvements too.

The only downsides are the lack of good use of the verbs - you can't "look" at people for example, and a lack of dialogue between the five characters.

I'd give it 9/10 personally.

One (small) improvement I'd like to see in this area is a minor UI tweak to allow mousewheel scrolling to scroll through available verbs. They put the mousewheel scroll on the inventory instead, which is fine, but I think it would be better suited to verb selection.

One (small) improvement I'd like to see in this area is a minor UI tweak to allow mousewheel scrolling to scroll through available verbs. They put the mousewheel scroll on the inventory instead, which is fine, but I think it would be better suited to verb selection.

An option to choose between them would be nice.

QWE
ASD
ZXC

For verbs on the keyboard is light years faster though, and is a very good system.

Brashnir

QWE
ASD
ZXC

For verbs on the keyboard is light years faster though, and is a very good system.

yeah, that is also a good setup, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to include both. I tend to play my P&Cs one-handed as much as possible. (it would also be nice if the dialog-skip button wasn't completely on the other side of the keyboard from the verb shortcuts)

yeah, that is also a good setup, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to include both. I tend to play my P&Cs one-handed as much as possible. (it would also be nice if the dialog-skip button wasn't completely on the other side of the keyboard from the verb shortcuts)

Yep.

I use autohotkey to map "." to the mouse scroll click which works very well, but a remapping option in-game would be cool.

Finished it and like it a lot but I have some questions.

Did anything come of the two Agents getting knocked out at points in the game? I sort of missed what happened to Reyes as I was out of the room I guess when it happened, just saw the tube view of him unconscious. Seemed like this was setting something up but no eventual payoff on that thread. Also I assume there was no actual murderer and it was just game logic that caused it?

Fangamer has Thimbleweed Park merch up now

https://www.fangamer.com/collections/thimbleweed-park?

I like the City Limits tshirt.

Finished it and like it a lot but I have some questions.

Did anything come of the two Agents getting knocked out at points in the game? I sort of missed what happened to Reyes as I was out of the room I guess when it happened, just saw the tube view of him unconscious. Seemed like this was setting something up but no eventual payoff on that thread. Also I assume there was no actual murderer and it was just game logic that caused it?

I don't think there were answers on either point, although
I assume the sheriff did it on behalf of Chuck/Sentient Tron. He always struck me as a wrong'un.

jimboton

Finished the other day and what a great adventure. This is what Lucasarts might have released back in 94, 95 had they evolved the Scumn engine in a slightly different direction, keeping the verbs and the multiple characters. Not that I'm complaining we got The Dig instead, but this is also fantastic.

Hope they get the chance to work in more like this.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
I'm still playing it and absolutely loving it. The characters, setting, music, sounds, writing--everything about it is incredibly charming and engaging. Easily my favorite point n click in the last few years. Really excited for what the team does next!! (And can't wait for a Vita version. ;))

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Any word when the iOS version is coming, or just "later this year"?
I cynically assume they put the iOS versions of games off for a while because they know the price has to be a lot lower than the original PC price. So maybe by the time it gets discounted.

Brashnir

-
Yeah, I mean the trope of the "always-samey-looking-area-with-one-route" was obvious. I even had the trophy, but for the life of me I couldn't connect the dots between trophy - goo - puddle. I guess I also was too "rational" to use the goo on the puddle (i.e. killing people!) before remembering what kind of game this is. I guess the tone of the game gets more serious (?) around the factory and I therefore didn't think in a "goofy" way about this.

The goo totally should have been paint or something innocuous. I spent forever on this puzzle because I assumed the goo to be extremely dangerous

I cynically assume they put the iOS versions of games off for a while because they know the price has to be a lot lower than the original PC price. So maybe by the time it gets discounted.

It's primarily resources, but no doubt this is a factor too.

still remember that embarrassing uproar over mario run being $10

Bookman

I just finished the game. I loved it. *bleeping* loved it. This is probably amongst my top 5 adventure game of all time. Man, now I feel kind of sad :(

Morzak

QWE
ASD
ZXC

It would be nice if they could put the key mapping in a config file, so I don't have to change from german to english keyboard input for the shortcuts to make sense(y and z are changed). But I also think the Verb menu is an unnecessary inconvenience and doesn't add to the game.

The puzzles in this seem to be relatively logical, but structuring should be improved, there are to many tasks in the notebook that the character isn't aware of, or can't be solved in the act, and having to solve certain parts with characters that don't have any motivation to do the tasks is also something to improve upon if there will be a new one.

Checked Steamspy and it said about 20k sales. Seems way low to me. Does anyone know if that number includes people receiving backer codes?

Together with not hearing any happy news from Ron about sales (I might have missed it) gives me a bad feeling.

Checked Steamspy and it said about 20k sales. Seems way low to me. Does anyone know if that number includes people receiving backer codes?

Together with not hearing any happy news from Ron about sales (I might have missed it) gives me a bad feeling.

There was 1k people in game yesterday afternoon. Thats pretty amazing for a point & click adventure

Bluth54

Steamspy estimates include any copies sold on Steam or keys redeemed on Steam.

It would be nice if they could put the key mapping in a config file, so I don't have to change from german to english keyboard input for the shortcuts to make sense(y and z are changed). But I also think the Verb menu is an unnecessary inconvenience and doesn't add to the game.

Isn't that what prefs.json is for?

karasu

goddammit. I wanted this so bad. And now I find out there is a three mufucking month exclusivity window. I sure as shit am not gonna go out and buy an Xbox with Scorpio right around the corner. This is bull!

goddammit. I wanted this so bad. And now I find out there is a three mufucking month exclusivity window. I sure as shit am not gonna go out and buy an Xbox with Scorpio right around the corner. This is bull!

There wouldn't have been any console versions at launch without the xbox deal. And other console versions will probably take longer then three months if they happen as the next focus is mobile ports anyway.

Do you have a computer that meets the minimum requirements? It's on Windows, OS X and Linux. http://store.steampowered.com/app/569860/

It ran without issues for me on my 1.5 GHz Macbook Air running Linux despite the minimum requirement saying 2 GHz, so you might be able to manage below that.

Lots of love for the Linux version, thanks for not forgetting us. :)

karasu

Do you have a computer that meets the minimum requirements? It's on Windows, OS X and Linux. http://store.steampowered.com/app/569860/

It ran without issues for me on my 1.5 GHz Macbook Air running Linux despite the minimum requirement saying 2 GHz, so you might be able to manage below that.

Lots of love for the Linux version, thanks for not forgetting us. :)
No my computer is like ten years old. I guess I am getting a new one in a couple weeks so it isnt all bad. Cool of MS to make this possible for consoles I reckon.

Brashnir

Which does confirm that their was originally a
betamax
puzzle that got cut from the game.

I was surprised that there wasn't one. At one point during a conversation early in the game,
Leonard mentions that he won't give the agents the security cam footage unless they can provide him with a replacement tape. But then you get the tape and it's past the point in the story where the footage would be useful.

sangreal

I was surprised that there wasn't one. At one point during a conversation early in the game,
Leonard mentions that he won't give the agents the security cam footage unless they can provide him with a replacement tape. But then you get the tape and it's past the point in the story where the footage would be useful.

yeah, this really threw me off

SOME-MIST

finally beat it last night. surprised that on average people are beating it in 12-15 hours.

I'm not too far off, but I clocked in roughly 17 hours getting stuck at a few points about 2/3rds the way through.

regardless, one of the best point + click adventures I've played since the lucasarts days - even moreso than some of the other titles I've enjoyed since then like jonas kyratzes titles and the dream machine.

I'm also somewhat surprised at the lukewarm critic reception compared to the user reviews on gog/steam.

Brashnir

finally beat it last night. surprised that on average people are beating it in 12-15 hours.

I'm not too far off, but I clocked in roughly 17 hours getting stuck at a few points about 2/3rds the way through.

regardless, one of the best point + click adventures I've played since the lucasarts days - even moreso than some of the other titles I've enjoyed since then like jonas kyratzes titles and the dream machine.

I'm also somewhat surprised at the lukewarm critic reception compared to the user reviews on gog/steam.

It took me about 16-17 hours, too.

Playtime can really vary in this sort of game if you look up solutions to hard puzzles, and the casual mode on this offers another way to shorten the game.

Of course some people will just be in the zone and on the same page with the developers at every turn, leading to a fast time. Also, people who read fast and skip text will show significantly shorter times. I tended to let the voiceovers play out the vast majority of the time.

Critic reaction is pretty outstanding considering how many of them like to be snooty about p&c games.

Fuz

Banned
I'm on Act IV and I'm loving it
SO
DAMN
MUCH

Keep in mind that I'm a fanboy of Ron and Monkey Island is my favourite game ever.
It's basically sort of a sequel to Maniac Mansion.
Puzzles are all well thought and logical; not too easy and not super frustrating. And you always have something to do or something to check, so getting stumped is rare.
The story and its delivery are fantastic. The characters are tons of fun. The mistery/humor mix is spot on (well, I like Ron's kind of humor). The whole writing is superb - except for the *really* excessive metatext, self-referentiality and the breaking of the fourth wall. It's way too much. This is its worst flaw. And if something like this is the worst flaw... well...
This game is EXACTLY what I wanted to play in an adventure game. Too bad I will finish it :D hope Ron keeps making games like this.

Between the games i backed this is easily the one that satisfied me the most and didn't blow my expectations in the slightest.

P.S.
Thimbleweed Park also proves that the SCUMM verb-based interface is still the absolute best for P&C games.

Fuz

Banned
Got some questions.

Who is the material killer of Boris and Franklin? Chuck? Wasn't he dead already?

Who hit the agent in the alley?

What happened to agent Ray when she blacked out in the coroner's office?

I'm kinda thinking those things were ideas they wanted to explain but ended cutting them off from the final game.

rcl66

How does this play with a controller? I know that seems against what the game even is - and I played all the original LucasArts games back in the day on PC - but times have changed and I kinda want to just play on Xbox and get achievements while playing a big TV. I think it's coming to Win 10 as play anywhere but don't want to wait since I imagine that would be a little while.

dude

dude
Just finished the game. It surpassed all of my expectations and more. Clearly a modern classic and one of the high points of the genre.

Just finished this myself right now as well...I never was a big adventure game person. The only ones I ever dabbled in as a kid was the Star Trek 25th Anniversary game on computer. Over the years I've messed with them, but rarely finish them because of the puzzles being kinda hard for me.

There was a charm to this game that made me wanna go through it though, and so I did. I liked it, but I also was a bit bummed. Not to get into spoilers too much, but I kinda wish it leaned into the murder mystery story more, and was more grounded. Ah well, still a good game, and one of the best in the genre I've played though.

Got some questions.

Who is the material killer of Boris and Franklin? Chuck? Wasn't he dead already?

Who hit the agent in the alley?

What happened to agent Ray when she blacked out in the coroner's office?

I'm kinda thinking those things were ideas they wanted to explain but ended cutting them off from the final game.

I assumed
Sheriff for the first two as he's clearly following chucktrons orders.

No idea for the third.

How does this play with a controller? I know that seems against what the game even is - and I played all the original LucasArts games back in the day on PC - but times have changed and I kinda want to just play on Xbox and get achievements while playing a big TV. I think it's coming to Win 10 as play anywhere but don't want to wait since I imagine that would be a little while.

https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/controllers

A year old, so I don't know if things changed since.

Finally finished it, took me about 16 hours. This easily ended up being one of my favorite point and clicks i have played. Now i really need to play the Monkey Island games, im just too scared to do so though.

Really early in the game I saw this description of an item and I did fall out of my chair laughing.

93WydQO.jpg

Its fine with a controller. Playing it on the Xbox One and I have no issues. The mouse will probably be better and as soon as the Win 10 version hits, I'll give it a try.

Surprised so many people dislike Broken Age (or found it average). I played it inbetween Grim Fandango, the original Broken Sword, and Days of the Tentacle and Broken Age was probably my second favourite after Grim Fandango (mostly missed out on adventure games when I was young).

I was a backer of Broken Age and really didn't like it. Felt kinda mislead. When I backed it I expected something like Thimbleweed Park. Thats what was pitched and during the early stages of development, thats what appeared to be what they were making. Then there was this weird change of focus. The end product wasn't very satisfying.

Fuz

Banned
I was a backer of Broken Age and really didn't like it. Felt kinda mislead. When I backed it I expected something like Thimbleweed Park. Thats what was pitched and during the early stages of development, thats what appeared to be what they were making. Then there was this weird change of focus. The end product wasn't very satisfying.

I agree. I was a backer too. We wanted "Broken Age Park".
This is just personal speculation, but I think the very different approach Tim and Ron have on puzzles and story (Ron is more puzzle-oriented, Tim thinks they're secondary to storytelling) is what drove Ron out of Double Fine (he left a bit after the work on BA started).

jimboton

This was my takeaway about Broken Age as well, except, I don't think there really was a change of focus during development, it was probably Shafer's intention all along to use nostalgia for the graphic adventures of the past to finance his own entry in the potentially more lucrative TellTale style of adventure games. It's why I'll never crowdfund another Double Fine project again (though I still hope against hope that Psychonauts 2 will be good).

Mistle

Broken Age felt like a classic point and click to me... just with a different art style. I enjoyed it, and no it wasn't the best P&C ever made, but they delivered on their promise. I think it unfair to accuse Tim of having some ulterior motive, I didn't get that feeling at all.

SOME-MIST

As an old fan of adventure games, I loved broken age. Granted, it was an adventure game-lite, but it was high quality with a handful of head scratchers. It actually helped me introduce the genre to my girlfriend who has since beaten MI1, MI2, and Grim Fandango.

I think thimbleweed park is a better game, but I wasn't disappointed with broken age whatsoever.

Top Bottom