• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Party Wii Games

obaidr

Banned
Leondexter said:
That's an interesting argument, but they put the Modern Warfare and Assassin's Creed franchises on the DS, which is by far the least graphically capable system in current production.

I think the issue of not having a Wii version has a lot to do with how much work it entails. It's not like a 'normal' gen where an inferior port would be a minimal amount of downgrading; a Wii version of a game requires a large amount of reduction in detail, geometry, lighting, etc, and -- if you want a 'hook' -- re-working of the controls.

I don't the Wii should have a version of every big release, but it should be considered. Strong franchises, especially ones historically associated with Nintendo systems, should be no-brainers (like Street Fighter IV, now ridiculously coming to iPhone and not Wii).

In a lot of cases, though, I really think it just comes down to developers who dislike the Wii. They're okay with portables that lack power, even to the extent of the DS, but are offended by a console made from tech that's "too old". And publishers seem to dislike it for business reasons: it wasn't the horse they bet on, so they continue to wish it would just die.

Having a weaker looking portable version of your HD home console game, doesn't hurt your game or your brand. Two different products.

Sadist

obaidr said:
You mean like 2012 BD an 2012 VHS are the same because both are called "2012"?
Same film different format.

Thing is, do you honestly believe that a hypothetical bad VHS version of 2012 will influence the sales or let's say good quality BD release of 2012? I'd say no.

obaidr

Banned
Sadist said:
Same film different format.

Thing is, do you honestly believe that a hypothetical bad VHS version of 2012 will influence the sales or let's say good quality BD release of 2012? I'd say no.

I am very sure if the company behind the Movie markets the Movie as a HighDef-orgasm experience, they will not release the movie on VHS. It would the be its USP and with releasing the movie on VHS, they would destroy its main USP.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
obaidr said:
You mean like 2012 BD an 2012 VHS are the same because both are called "2012"?
You mean 2012 the movie on Blu-Ray and VHS? Unless you are going to argue that watching "2012" on VHS will have zero effect on how you perceive "2012" on Blu-Ray I am not sure where you are going with this.

Let me make it clear where I am going with this. They call them the same name because they want the brand recognition to drive sales. "WWII shooter" won't sell as well as "Modern Warfare 2" on DS purely because of the brand. If brand awareness is being used to drive sales then it should be readily apparent that there is brand awareness amongst the people buying the portable game.

Sadist

obaidr said:
I am very sure if the company behind the Movie markets the Movie as a HighDef-orgasm experience, they will not release the movie on VHS. It would the be its USP and with releasing the movie on VHS, they would destroy its main USP.
Then why oh why would you bring up this argument in the first place?

obaidr

Banned
poppabk said:
You mean 2012 the movie on Blu-Ray and VHS? Unless you are going to argue that watching "2012" on VHS will have zero effect on how you perceive "2012" on Blu-Ray I am not sure where you are going with this.

Let me make it clear where I am going with this. They call them the same name because they want the brand recognition to drive sales. "WWII shooter" won't sell as well as "Modern Warfare 2" on DS purely because of the brand. If brand awareness is being used to drive sales then it should be readily apparent that there is brand awareness amongst the people buying the portable game.

But i never said the will not release the game on DS, PSP or any other portable platform. Ofcourse MW2 sells on DS because it is MW2, but putting the game on the Wii, with releasing Wii screenshots destroys the image of the HD games because they cannot market the Wii game so different then the HD game, that people would recognize it as a different product, then the HD games. Did you ever ask your self why Activision never published any screenshots or trailers from MW:R then the very first ones? Because they knew people would publish them on the same website or magazine next to the HD version and that would destroy how people percieve the HD game.

Milabrega

I know this thread has gone to shit since that one JR guy took over the walls of shame with his branding or w/e but you are wasting time addressing Obaidr. Here's what you do type this into google: " site:neogaf.com obaidr neogaf wii " you can replace wii with xbox and you'll find similar results, or just obaidr neogaf and you will find plenty of posts which are just killzone 2 gifs, no I'm not kidding.

Now I'm no Grandjedi but here's some excerpts in case you don't want to take the time.

obaidr in amazon's best sellers of '09 thread said:
wow such a let down for gaming in general. TV killed the radiostar and Wii killed gaming haha

obaidr in the 2010 predictions thread said:
  • Nintendo will have Shitty E3
  • PS3 Wand will not reach Mass Market but will show what motion controller should/could actually do
  • 360 will get another price drop
  • a lot of Sony First partys will get a sequell
  • sony will charge for perium features for psn
  • the war will not be over
  • people will stop buying Wiis and the gaming in general can start to move on with the new cash flow towards real games and better games will be made*

*A man can still hope ;)

obaidr December NPD said:
just a small question to all the people who say 3rd parties doing it wrong:

how many of the ~4 Wiis sold this month, were sold to actual gamers who care about games and buy many games per year, like lets say the PS360 owners?All those Big 3rd party devs like Rockstar, EA, Ubisoft, Sega, Capcom etc. make gamer games like Ubisoft said. Now i don't think many gamers bought a Wii basically because they know there is not much announced to look forward for. So if you are a company like one of those and make core games and you know the core gamers are on the PS360 platforms, why should you care how much Nintendo is selling? My these is that almost every core gamer who was really interested in a Wii did already buy one before Dec. 09 because the Wii market just doesnt have such a high entrance barrier.

Even if the Wii would have sold 10 million systems this month but the core gamers were still on the other two platforms, the 3rd parties would not care because they dont (probably can't) make the right products, which is not core games like we already see in x cases, for the Wii audience.

obaidr in the NBA Jam Announcement thread said:
well I believe EA doesn't want to risk anything. The development investments for a Wii game are much smaller then for a PS360 game. I think they are not sure if there is still enough interest for this game and besides they can use the original sprites for the Wii game and don't have to recreate HD stuff which is much more expensive.

obaidr in the Resident Evil DSC Official thread said:
i Hope this gets released on ps3 Next Summer

obaidr

Banned
Sadist said:
Then why oh why would you bring up this argument in the first place?

Because people said lazy defs dont release AAA titles on the Wii because they hate it. My point was no, the Wii version would hurt the sale of the HD versions and would be bad for the brand as long as they sell the game as a top notch HD game with great graphics and stuff.

Sadist

obaidr said:
But i never said the will not release the game on DS, PSP or any other portable platform. Ofcourse MW2 sells on DS because it is MW2, but putting the game on the Wii, with releasing Wii screenshots destroys the image of the HD games because they cannot market the Wii game so different then the HD game, that people would recognize it as a different product, then the HD games. Did you ever ask your self why Activision never published any screenshots or trailers from MW:R then the very first ones? Because they knew people would publish them on the same website or magazine next to the HD version and that would destroy how people percieve the HD game.
:lol :lol :lol

No they would argue that the Wii version is "shit" and the save bet would be 360/PS3. So no sale for the Wii version and lots of sales for the 360/PS3.

obaidr

Banned
Sadist said:
:lol :lol :lol

No they would argue that the Wii version is "shit" and the save bet would be 360/PS3. So no sale for the Wii version and lots of sales for the 360/PS3.

To easy bro. The way clients perceive products is much more complex, believe me. Just look how the car manufactures don't even want a damage model in GT and stuff, even if it is only a videogame. Nobody wants to show someone a broken version of its product, even if it only in a game and not real.

Sadist

obaidr said:
To easy bro. The way clients perceive products is much more complex, believe me. Just look how the car manufactures don't even want a damage model in GT and stuff, even if it is only a videogame. Nobody wants to show someone a broken version of its product, even if it only in a game and not real.
You're overanalyzing it plus the car example doesn't say anything.

It's rather simple: I can go to any random gaming site and when I read the comment section about multiplatform Wii games and everytime you will read these kind of comments:

"Looks good for a Wii game"

"Christ thatsux, buy a reeeeal console mang"

"Why would you buy this if you can buy the 360/PS3 version"

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
obaidr said:
Have you seen the ads for most games - 90% is usually cgi cutscenes? Did you ever ask yourself why Activision did release WaW ads/media for the Wii version and not for MW:Reflex? I would argue that it was less to do with besmirching the image of MW than it was trying to obfuscate Modern Warfare:Reflexes origins and to ride the hype of MW2.

Eteric Rice

obaidr said:

Uh, no, people would just ignore the Wii version if they have a choice. They wouldn't look down on the game or brand at all so long as the game is good.

I know I wouldn't.

Your arguement doesn't really make any sense.

Jokeropia

Milabrega said:
*chronicles of a pathetic fanboy*
:lol
obaidr said:
Call of Duty 3, Call of Duty 4 (eventually) and Call of Duty 5 were all released on Wii. Clearly this destroyed people's perception of the franchise!

Penguin

obaidr said:
I think a Problem for all the big AAA titles is the status of the Wii brand in the perception of the clients. I think, and a lot of Nintennerds will kill me for this statement, putting AS2 or any game with the same status as AS(Resident Evil 5, MW2, Final Fantasy XIII, Bioshock 2, Dantes Inferno etc.) on the Wii would hurt the brand of the game. All the big titles sell it self as super HD, cinematic games, as an special experience with the state of the art sound and graphic design. This counts specially for the 3rd Person action games because they are even more cinematic then FPS. Now putting a game like AS on the Wii means downgrading the game to a limit which will very probably will not merit what the brand stands for: HD graphics, HD sound, HD experience.

Actually another point that was thinking of using your example

Resident Evil 5 has RE 4 and UC/DSC on the Wii.
MW Reflex is on the Wii as is CoD 3 and WAW
Final Fantasy has severa brands on the Wii.

Bioshock didn't have any stance before the start of this generation nor did Dante's Inferno.

So how can you ruin a rep for a franchise that has none and for ones that already exist on the Wii.

cacildo

Milabrega said:
I know this thread has gone to shit since that one JR guy took over the walls of shame with his branding

Yeah, it looks like its still forbidden to hate Deadly Creatures, the best game ever made.

jay

cacildo said:
Yeah, it looks like its still forbidden to hate Deadly Creatures, the best game ever made.

You are free to hate and people are free to think you're being stupid. It's a win win.

Vizion28

Banned
I think this year we will see if 3rd parties can sell in the millions on Wii with core titles such as Monster Hunter Tri (which has already sold well in Japan), Epic Mickey, and Red Steel 2 (maybe). The final sales of these games will show once for all who is right: The seemingly many 3rd parties and several video game forum dwellers who say hardcore games don't sell on Wii or the gamers and few 3rd parties who say the core games on Wii are lazy and wouldn't sell on any other console.

I'm in the latter camp. It is obvious to me 3rd parties have been giving Wii owners crumbs and haven't made a strong effort with their core titles. The so-called "test games" certainly wouldn't have sold any better on the HD consoles. If all of the aforementioned titles flop then 3rd parties were right all along. If any of those games succeeds then the obvious would be made more obvious. It would show they have left a lot, a lot, a lot of money on the table with the Wii.

Vizion28 said:
I think this year we will see if 3rd parties can sell in the millions on Wii with core titles such as Monster Hunter Tri (which has already sold well in Japan), Epic Mickey, and Red Steel 2 (maybe). The final sales of these games will show once for all who is right: The seemingly many 3rd parties and several video game forum dwellers who say hardcore games don't sell on Wii or the gamers and few 3rd parties who say the core games on Wii are lazy and wouldn't sell on any other console.

I'm in the latter camp. It is obvious to me 3rd parties have been giving Wii owners crumbs and haven't made a strong effort with their core titles. The so-called "test games" certainly wouldn't have sold any better on the HD consoles. If all of the aforementioned titles flop then 3rd parties were right all along. If any of those games succeeds then the obvious would be made more obvious. It would show they have left a lot, a lot, a lot of money on the table with the Wii.

I'm not so sure anything will be proven. The Wii market is rightfully distrustful of 3rd parties now, so I think these legitimate big budget games may be launching into a hostile environment. I'd love to be wrong, but I think the good 3rd party games on the way for the Wii will probably do middling sales--just enough for both sides of the debate to use them as "proof" they were right. Also, we can expect relatively low 1st month sales (and the resultant crowing); Nintendo has cultivated a market where game launches just aren't that big a deal. Even their own 10 million + sellers have not had huge first months. Look at Wii Sports Resort; it only did a half million in month 1 in the US IIRC.

cacildo

Jay said:
You are free to hate and people are free to think you're being stupid. It's a win win.

That´s better.

Leondexter said:
I'm not so sure anything will be proven. The Wii market is rightfully distrustful of 3rd parties now, so I think these legitimate big budget games may be launching into a hostile environment. I'd love to be wrong, but I think the good 3rd party games on the way for the Wii will probably do middling sales--just enough for both sides of the debate to use them as "proof" they were right. Also, we can expect relatively low 1st month sales (and the resultant crowing); Nintendo has cultivated a market where game launches just aren't that big a deal. Even their own 10 million + sellers have not had huge first months. Look at Wii Sports Resort; it only did a half million in month 1 in the US IIRC.

yeah, but it would be pretty sweet if somehow Red Steel 2 just sells 300k in the first two weeks.

Impossible, i know.

thefro

I don't see much interest out there in Red Steel 2 because of the lack of multiplayer and the negative impression out there from the first game.

I think a lot of folks are going to skip it for Tri and the big Nintendo guns unless it gets stellar reviews.

Milabrega said:
I know its not very easy to search post histories at the moment, but I doubt any of you will be surprised to know that obaidr's is embarrassingly trollish.
Didn't he get banned for doing this shit once before?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
thefro said:
I don't see much interest out there in Red Steel 2 because of the lack of multiplayer and the negative impression out there from the first game.

I think a lot of folks are going to skip it for Tri and the big Nintendo guns unless it gets stellar reviews.

Wait...RS2 doesn't have multiplayer? That was the only reason my friends and I played the damn thing.

apujanata

Zero Tolerance said:
Thanks for letting us know.

And the guy above you, that is a great point. How are we getting a version of this-or-that game on iPhones and other portable devices but not the Wii? Modern Warfare 2 Mobile, anyone?

If people doesn't want to do something (like releasing games on Wii), they will find hundreds of reason for not doing it.
If people want to do something (like releasing games on iPhone), they will find hundreds of reason for doing it.

It all come back to whether you like / want something, and whether you hate/ dislike something.
Most developer like/want iPhone, and hate/dislike Wii.

cacildo

thefro said:

Well, i think Motion+swordplay is a pretty appealing combo.

Especially for the "expanded audience".
And Red Steel 1 sold 1mil. Nowdays there´s 70million wiis out there. A lot of people missed the mess the first game was.

Well, who knows? Only thing for sure is that Ubisoft is sending it to die, cuting sales forecast and marketing budget. If the game succeds it will have to do it based on the word of mouth

Personally, im excited about Monster Hunter tri, but im really hyped for Red Steel 2. Im in for anything motion plus, but this one seems like a real effort.

cacildo said:
Well, i think Motion+swordplay is a pretty appealing combo.

Especially for the "expanded audience".
And Red Steel 1 sold 1mil. Nowdays there´s 70million wiis out there. A lot of people missed the mess the first game was.

Well, who knows? Only thing for sure is that Ubisoft is sending it to die, cuting sales forecast and marketing budget. If the game succeds it will have to do it based on the word of mouth

Personally, im excited about Monster Hunter tri, but im really hyped for Red Steel 2. Im in for anything motion plus, but this one seems like a real effort.
Red Steel was lucky to sell 1 million, mostly because it was both a launch and holiday title.

Mael

apujanata said:
If people doesn't want to do something (like releasing games on Wii), they will find hundreds of reason for not doing it.
If people want to do something (like releasing games on iPhone), they will find hundreds of reason for doing it.

It all come back to whether you like / want something, and whether you hate/ dislike something.
Most developer like/want iPhone, and hate/dislike Wii.

Which goes back to the question : 'Why should devs be successful on Wii in the first place?'
The answer is quite simple too : They shouldn't

And for the whole RS2/MH3
I know I'm skipping RS2 like many games because I'm moving out of my appartment and getting MH3 because it's a very well made game (life is but a question of priorities, sorry ubi)

cacildo

silverbullet1080 said:
Red Steel was lucky to sell 1 million, mostly because it was both a launch and holiday title.

No doubt about it.

But i bought time splitters 3 for the cube without ever playing the first ones

Dont think most people at retail will care about the first one when they see the sequel´s box on the shelf.

(but i dont know if people will care about the game at all)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
silverbullet1080 said:
This is why I wish Metal Slug Anthology made it out at launch like it was supposed to. Could of gotten a genration of kids hooked on the fun Run 'n Gun.

Mael

Drkirby said:
This is why I wish Metal Slug Anthology made it out at launch like it was supposed to. Could of gotten a genration of kids hooked on the fun Run 'n Gun.

Remove the bolded and they pretty much already are >.>

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hmm yeah I don't think Red Steel is going to do very well. Not much hype, no multi player, Motion+ exclusive, coming out right before a pretty big barrage of more established games. I think it would have done much better if it had made it out in November and taken advantage of the insane Wii holiday hardware and software sales.

Vinci

Danish
You know what I find remarkable? That as much money as Avatar has made, it could have made far more if it hadn't hurt its reputation by releasing to theaters without IMAX or 3D; that James Cameron, the gullible fool that he is, didn't realize what so many of our stellar 3rd parties have realized - that a product predicated on the highest end of technologies should not be provided or exhibited in a lesser format. Perhaps he'll learn the error of his ways once it hits home theaters and not have a DVD copy. I don't know. I'd like to think someone with common sense would talk to him and help him make the right choice, but he might be too stubborn to admit (or even acknowledge) his mistake.

WillyFive

Vinci said:
You know what I find remarkable? That as much money as Avatar has made, it could have made far more if it hadn't hurt its reputation by releasing to theaters without IMAX or 3D; that James Cameron, the gullible fool that he is, didn't realize what so many of our stellar 3rd parties have realized - that a product predicated on the highest end of technologies should not be provided or exhibited in a lesser format. Perhaps he'll learn the error of his ways once it hits home theaters and not have a DVD copy. I don't know. I'd like to think someone with common sense would talk to him and help him make the right choice, but he might be too stubborn to admit (or even acknowledge) his mistake.

What?

boiled goose

good with gravy
schuelma said:
Hmm yeah I don't think Red Steel is going to do very well. Not much hype, no multi player, Motion+ exclusive, coming out right before a pretty big barrage of more established games. I think it would have done much better if it had made it out in November and taken advantage of the insane Wii holiday hardware and software sales.

Yup.

Still no proper local multi FPS game on wii... :/

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Eteric Rice said:
If I were Nintendo, I'd just say "fuck it" and create some new studios in the West and in Japan as well. Make their own big games.
I believe employment at Nintendo has gone up about 20-30% over the last 5-6 years or so. They're over 4000 employees right now, and I recall them being at 3000-3500 not too long ago.

Yeah, Nintendo has a lot of money to spare, but you also need to take into account that every increase in employment is an added annual expense of $50-100k (or higher) for just payroll alone.

Hire 100 new employees making $75K on average, that's 7.5 million dollars of added annual expenses (through highs and lows), and a conservative company like Nintendo might not want to risk expansion in the event they find themselves back in a situation like they were in, say, the 2004 GC years. If you just say "Well, we have all of this money and success, let's go all out" and hire 1000 new employees, you're probably looking at a billion dollars of added payroll expenses for the next decade.

Not that there also aren't added revenues from having more workers, but big expansion like that look really risky from the perespective of a conservative company like Nintendo, even given their success and cash on hand.

Vinci

Danish
GaimeGuy said:
Not that there also aren't added revenues from having more workers, but big expansion like that look really risky from the perespective of a conservative company like Nintendo, even given their success and cash on hand.

Honestly, I think the Team Ninja and Mistwalker collaborations are more of a sign of where Nintendo is heading from a 3rd party standpoint.

Effect

Vinci said:
Honestly, I think the Team Ninja and Mistwalker collaborations are more of a sign of where Nintendo is heading from a 3rd party standpoint.

Does in indeed. Either way Nintendo looks like it's done hoping 3rd party developers will make games themselves and put out serious efforts. More select partnerships looks like the direction they are headed in. Even if it's Nintendo's own IPs. Nintendo most certainly has enough of them that they can work with developers to create various games. Doing this most certainly will help with quality of the game.

Curious though who would Nintendo approach in regards to making an F-Zero game. The last one wasn't done in-house was it?

Vinci

Danish
Effect said:
Does in indeed. Either way Nintendo looks like it's done hoping 3rd party developers will make games themselves and put out serious efforts. More select partnerships looks like the direction they are headed in. Even if it's Nintendo's own IPs. Nintendo most certainly has enough of them that they can work with developers to create various games. Doing this most certainly will help with quality of the game.

Curious though who would Nintendo approach in regards to making an F-Zero game. The last one wasn't done in-house was it?

SEGA Amusement Vision developed GX.

Sadist

Didn't Reggie ask us that question last E3?

Which third party would you like to see in a collaboration with Nintendo?

Bizzyb

Banned
schuelma said:

All Ubisoft has to do is run some commercials that show off and highlight the use of motion plus. Multiplayer doesn't have to be included in every game in order for it to sell.

HYDE

Banned
I wish for one thing only 3rd party wise.
I want one RE4 quality game before it's over, and an epic remake like RE.
That isn't what's already out (RE4 wii edition/RE archives).

edit: I suggest a RE2 remake. And for the RE4 quality game, something totally new or incredible.:D (maybe Rayman Galaxy: Escape)

I'm not sure what's going on in this thread, but in the past month I've bought No More Heroes 2 and Muramasa ($30 new at GameStop!), and preordered Monster Hunter 3. And I'm sitting on the fence thinking about Red Steel 2.

Hooray for third party games! Celebrate the good ones that we do get. I can't think of many 360/PS3 games like the games I listed! That's all I want on the Wii; unique games that aren't down-ports of the other systems' games.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Vizion28 said:
I don't see any of those titles proving anything. First, expectations are too high - there is this thinking that assumes that any decent third party game should sell amazing simply because of the vacuum made by the lack of competition. This thinking ignores that Nintendo's titles are already filling that vacuum and that third parties still need to give people a reason to buy their game besides existing. Second, none of these games are really within a popular genre today to be copied... in other words, MH3 success won't prove the potential for a Resident Evil 5 Wii (hell, RE4 Wii couldn't even do that) or RS2 demonstrating the potential for Ghost Recon Wii, etc... Third, success or failure... there will always be an excuse.

Monster Hunter Tri - It's japanese success should have already proven it, but so far its changed nothing. Nintendo is too heavily involved with the western releases for those to "count." The series western appeal has so far shown to be limited.

Epic Mickey - It's a kiddy platformer. It stars Mickey Mouse. If it sells 10 million it'll change nothing... if it doesn't sell 10 million it'll prove no one can compete with Nintendo.

Red Steel 2 - Ubisoft has already slashed expectations to "were going to just crap this one out" levels and have supposedly stated that they are not going to advertise it beyond print and web based media. (If they treat it like they did NMH2, their slashed expectations might still be too high.) It's more like Metroid Prime than an actual FPS and has no multi-player but it comes with a Nintendo accessory.

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
The top of my wishlist on the Wii is headed by "good 4-player splitscreen shooter" and "full new game like RE4 Wii". In over three years now I haven't found any games that meet either of these simple criteria, and that's just sad - N64 had better choices there.

I'm most into using the pointer for shooting since I've mostly played on PC and never really learned how to aim with dual analog.

My favorite game since RE4: Wii is Arkham Asylum (played on PC of course). Not that I think that game would've really been better in any way with Wii controls (probably would've just seen tacked on waggle punches, ugh) but I don't see why there hasn't been anything remotely similar on the system that isn't trash.

Sadist

Interesting tidbit:

Nintendo to Third Parties: We've Done Our Job

During our time at the Game Developers Conference last week, IndustryGamers sat down with Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. We spent a fair amount of time discussing third-party support for the Wii and Nintendo's role in the third-party publishing ecosystem. While Nintendo continues to do phenomenally well with the Wii, it does seem that since last fall publishers have been reallocating resources towards PS3 and 360, especially when it comes to core games. We asked Reggie how Nintendo is addressing that situation, and how Nintendo might help out third parties.

"Let me answer the question two different ways. First, as a platform holder our responsibility is to create a large installed base for developers to create content, to provide them with the tools and the insight to help them create great games, and to have in place a profit model that motivates them to create the content and reap the rewards. We've done that; global installed base is over 67 million for Wii and there are 120 million in the DS family. So there's a large installed base, an easy platform to develop for and a strong set of tools out there," Reggie began.

"In addition to that, part of the reason why we come to a conference like this, and bring some of our key development talent is also to challenge the mindset of what content can be. To have someone like Sakamoto-san talk about Tomodachi Collection and [Metroid's protagonist] Samus and share his experiences really is a way that we're trying to encourage developers to open their mind to do different things."

Reggie also questioned the long-term sales curve of the so-called core games. "On the other hand, the interesting thing about this business is that developers love to create technically advanced games, and very visually stunning games, but the fact of the matter is not all of that content is selling exceptionally well either," he said. "Look at the most recent NPD results. I'm not sure how much was infested into a game like Dante's Inferno, or how much is invested into a game like BioShock 2, but if that sales level is the best that they will do in a particular month, and it'll fall off rapidly from there, then those games aren't going to pay off their investment. So to me, it's a much bigger question than 'why aren't developers creating core content for the Wii?' It's a much broader question: 'How can the development community create content that will strike a chord with consumers and be financially attractive?' "

That said, we decided to play devil's advocate with Reggie. Since the installed base is there, from a business standpoint, Nintendo is doing very well and the hardware and software from Nintendo continue to sell. The casual consumer that makes up the majority of the installed base probably only buys a few games a year and is very happy with the Nintendo games that are developed for the platform. And so, the third parties can go do whatever... why should Nintendo care?

Reggie responded, acknowledging that Nintendo absolutely has to continue courting developers for core content: "Well, luckily we don't have that mentality. For us, it is important that third parties bring their very best content to our platform. You could say 'Why?' It's because... well, let me focus in on the West. There are 28 million Wiis out there in the marketplace. We know, based on our data, that we've got consumers from 5 to 95 playing on that platform. The fact of the matter is we know we create great content for younger consumers, we know we've got great content for more casual players, and we want fantastic content for that more active player who loves Metroid or Zelda but maybe also wants something like a BioShock 2 to play as well. And we also recognize that we don't create that type of content ourselves. We're not good at it and it's not a key focus area. So we want that content on our platform, so we have to court third-party developers and encourage them to make [those games], but it also has to be financially viable for them as well."

Stay tuned for the full interview coming soon!

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendo-to-third-parties-weve-done-our-job/

Top Bottom