• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This feels like the Cheapest nextgen transition ever.

The GPU's used in these consoles are cutting edge, the architecture isn't even available for PC yet.
Stick to PC, you expected too much from consoles that will cost less than your next Graphics card.
Its fucking 16gb thats the bottleneck it will affect the whole industry including pcs, 24-32gb should be minimum i dont give a fuck about vrs mesh shanding and other new vram tricks, fucking give games enough ram thats all im asking for.

Its fucking 16gb thats the bottleneck it will affect the whole industry including pcs, 24-32gb should be minimum i dont give a fuck about vrs mesh shanding and other new vram tricks, fucking give games enough ram thats all im asking for.
You sound like a spoiled child that doesn't get his wish.

Just get a gaming PC with 32 gb and be done with it.

93xfan

Banned
I’m the opposite. I think Next gen will be a massive leap.

Its 2x normally its 16x, yes the io and data will be fast but i still feel the ram is starved imagine 8gb for poor mobile gpus and cpus current gen and only 16gb to feed 12tf it doesnt seem right its just not a wow factor.
there’s over 2x the usable RAM in the new Xbox. 5GB to 13.5GB.
The SSD speeds should help tremendously as well.

Last edited:
Bro. The RAM is fine. The CPUs and GPUs are more than fine. The SSDs are great, one of them being better than literally anything currently available for consumers.

This is not a cheap-out gen. If any gen was, it's the current one. This is gonna be a big step up.

sneas78

Banned
That is absolutely not true most assets nowadays are expensive already id say even more expensive cause you have to design in zbrush then make lods for each assets then start programming how youll load them into memory its alot of hastle amd wastage of money that goes to work with low memory more time than to work with more memory ask any developer and hell tell you more ram is needed, its the reason theyve put super fast ssds in the first place,

Games take years and money to be finalised because developers are still working around how to fit stuff in memory they go into iterations and iteration and iterations just for that your absolutely wrong here.
Book of the dead not possible on today’s consoles, so there for eat shit. There’s your next gen.. if you think that tech demo is mehh. Something wrong with you. That’s def. next gen stuff.

Last edited:

Lukin1978

BOOK OF THR DEAD TECH DEMO NOT POSSIBLE ON TODAYS CONSOLES. So eat shit.

CEvYK8Q.gif

Sagii86

Book of the dead not possible on today’s consoles, so there for eat shit. There’s your next gen.. if you think that tech demo is mehh. Something wrong with you. That’s def. next gen stuff.

Not that I'm trying to justify any of the nonsense posted in this thread. Your claim is incorrect.

That's not the point though. as I said before, the leap is going to be greatly noticeable. We should just be patience.

Last edited:
You sound like a spoiled child that doesn't get his wish.

Just get a gaming PC with 32 gb and be done with it.
You seem like a useless innactive and bored and lousy old fela who takes whatever comes his way, you can have 2000gb of ram on pc that wont change shit cause all games will be designed to run on 16gb, so try to think before you start chating shit out ur pubic holes.

sneas78

Banned
Not that I'm trying to justify any of the nonsense posted in this thread. Your claim is incorrect.

That's not the point though. as I said before, the leap is going to be greatly noticeable. We should just be patience.

It’s a tech demo, good luck on making a full game look like that. Death stranding comes really close, but it’s still no match for that “ tech demo”
Same thing they showed early on with final fantasy . That tech demo looked superb.. we didn’t get anything close to that. -“Agnis Pholosophy”

Once we get to 100 TF I don’t think hardware will mater anymore.. could be wrong, but once we get to full realism, art style and what the game is about will be important, not graphics. We will be already there.. there...

Last edited:
It’s a tech demo, good luck on making a full game look like that. Death stranding comes really close, but it’s still no match for that “ tech demo”
You dickhead, death stranding days gone, both have more detail on a frame than book of the dead, and u claimed it didnt run on currebt consoles and got proved wrong so hold ur ignorance.

13.5GB/5GB = 2.7 times as much RAM as last gen.
Ur picking up decimal points is another reason how next gen is fucked the 16gb is just simply too little whether u like it or not, you can run around all day and make excuses here and there but the fact is it isnt enough for a next gen leap. It used to be 10x

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Who the fuck decided that we only need 2x are u crazy well have the same experiences for another 7 years with a few bells and whistles n thats not next generation a ps5 seems more like a ps4 pro 2

I did. Sorry about that.

2.7x though, for your viewing pleasure.

sinnergy

With game pass I for the first time won’t need to buy games with launch of the new Series X, only the console this time.

It’s a amazing time to live in!

Last edited:
You seem like a useless innactive and bored and lousy old fela who takes whatever comes his way, you can have 2000gb of ram on pc that wont change shit cause all games will be designed to run on 16gb, so try to think before you start chating shit out ur pubic holes.
Well, at least I don't whine on message boards how I don't get what I want like a baby...

Also, new console gens have never been different in that way, so why should it be now.
But that has been explained throughly throughout this thread by various posters, but you don't wanna listen anyway.
So go on crying while the rest of us are looking forward to the crazy amazing looking games we will get to play.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nobody said 30 teraflops, i wanted reasonable specs for a next gen console series x 12 is quite reasonable 12-14tf + 24-32gb of vram is very reasonable and acceptable for ps5 not 16gb 10tf and buzzwords + chit chats about procedural data tricks.
Sounds like you want a PC and not a gaming console.

10GB Of VRAM with an SSD sounds more impressive than a 24GB of VRAM with a standard HDD

Or you're saying you want 24GB of VRAM with an SSD, which would increase the console price to over $600.

Gamers should be happy that the CPU and SSD features are going to change games in a lot of ways next generation more than TF alone.

Well, at least I don't whine on message boards how I don't get what I want like a baby...

Also, new console gens have never been different in that way, so why should it be now.
But that has been explained throughly throughout this thread by various posters, but you don't wanna listen anyway.
So go on crying while the rest of us are looking forward to the crazy amazing looking games we will get to play.
New consoles gens have always been different we used to have 16x the ram in every gen ps1-2mb ps2-32mb ps3-512mb ps4-8gb now we only have 2x. The reason you couldnt see this explains your loussyness

Sounds like you want a PC and not a gaming console.

10GB Of VRAM with an SSD sounds more impressive than a 24GB of VRAM with a standard HDD

Or you're saying you want 24GB of VRAM with an SSD, which would increase the console price to over $600.

Gamers should be happy that the CPU and SSD features are going to change games in a lot of ways next generation more than TF alone.
You dont understand it your not getting the joke here, 10gb vram isnt next gen in any sense its simply the same graphics today in higher resolutions, and 600$ isnt expensive at all

New consoles gens have always been different we used to have 16x the ram in every gen ps1-2mb ps2-32mb ps3-512mb ps4-8gb now we only have 2x. The reason you couldnt see this explains your loussyness
My "lousyness" entails being in professional software development for 25 years now, plus demo and game coding in assembler and C on the side for a long time.

Why is especially RAM so important to you?
It's just one component in the construct that is a console.
Consoles were always about being a good compromise between costs and power.

Do you even understand how that technical stuff works or is it just "Duh, need RAM, bro" for you?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Blame the memory manufacturers, they don't want cheap prices hence the money a console maker sets aside for RAM can only afford 16GB, accept reality or don't, idgaf about your childish tantrum.

My "lousyness" entails being in professional software development for 25 years now, plus demo and game coding in assembler and C on the side for a long time.

Why is especially RAM so important to you?
It's just one component in the construct that is a console.
Consoles were always about being a good compromise between costs and power.

Do you even understand how that technical stuff works or is it just "Duh, need RAM, bro" for you?
You can be in the industry for all you care but ram is what is more important in graphics doesnt matter how fast other componets are your whole experience on screen is whats available in memory with 16gb its not enough memory to show enough improvement over current consoles, ram is everything graphics its the fucking reason they are chating about fast ssds, vrs, mesh shading and other tricks its all to compensate low memory.

Blame the memory manufacturers, they don't want cheap prices hence the money a console maker sets aside for RAM can only afford 16GB, accept reality or don't, idgaf about your childish tantrum.
Then their is no point for a ps5 anyway really whats the idea here, seems like the ps5 and series x are both silly attempts for cash grabbing,

..ram is everything graphics its the fucking reason they are chating about fast ssds, vrs, mesh shading and other tricks its all to compensate low memory.
Well, that's the part I don't understand with your reasoning.
Because, In the end it's what you see on the screen that counts.

The SNES was a 3,5 mhz machine, which was super lame in 1991 when it came out. There were already PCs with 25 mhz around at that time. The Amiga or the original Mac, which released in 1984/85 had already used a 7 mhz CPU.

And yet, the SNES was beating those machines for 2D games handily, simply because of the clever all around system architecture.

Consoles have always been like that.
Finding a sweet spot between performance and costs, utilizing some clever ideas to push what is seen on the screen in the end.

I am very sure the games we will get with the PS5 and Series X will look amazing and a lot better than what we get now.

Last edited:
Well, that's the part I don't understand with your reasoning.
Because, In the end it's what you see on the screen that counts.

The SNES was a 3,5 mhz machine, which was super lame in 1991 when it came out. There were already PCs with 25 mhz around at that time. The Amiga or the original Mac, which released in 1984/85 had already used a 7 mhz CPU.

And yet, the SNES was beating those machines for 2D games handily, simply because of the clever all around system architecture.

Consoles have always been like that.
Finding a sweet spot between performance and costs, utilizing some clever ideas to push what is seen on the screen in the end.
Its not mega hertz or giga hertz that hold whats on screen its memory back in the days they even engineered catridges with additional memory to run other games and even today you cant translate pcs to game consoles pc operating systems do more than play games, ram is what makes the game, its the bench the platform where all this other components work on you can have a 1000ghz processor but it will display whatever is on memory its simple as that.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You dont understand it your not getting the joke here, 10gb vram isnt next gen in any sense its simply the same graphics today in higher resolutions, and 600$ isnt expensive at all
And the console would be hard to sell for a $600+ price point.

10VRAM is enough, especially with the new SSD.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It isnt enough not for next gen it just isnt in any measure it isnt
Why not?

Watch the PlayStation 5 Deep Dive video again when Cerny talks about how RAM is being used.

450_1000.jpg

He makes the key point that data on current gen RAM is sitting idle and waiting there to be potentially used because it contains data for the next 30 seconds of gameplay.

Next gen, this changes to 1 second.

This solution is a lot better than just upgrading the memory. This would allow for better game design overall.

Sagii86

Same thing they showed early on with final fantasy . That tech demo looked superb.. we didn’t get anything close to that. -“Agnis Pholosophy”

Once we get to 100 TF I don’t think hardware will mater anymore.. could be wrong, but once we get to full realism, art style and what the game is about will be important, not graphics. We will be already there.. there...

The square enix tech demo was released in 2012 running on gtx 680 (3.2tflops). It's obvious it wasn't meant for base PS4. Since we don't have any game made exclusively for PS4 PRO or XBOX we can't really witness something that will match that demo. We will exceed that visual fidelity on the upcoming consoles.

ZehDon

Gold Member
This thread is like watching a toddler who can barely speak screech about how their birthday cake isn't enough... without actually knowing what a birthday cake is. Post after post after post of it.

ahmyleg

Banned
The PS2 launched at $300 in 2000, which would be around $450 today. The PS5 is around 1600 times more powerful than the PS2 based on teraflops, XSEX even more so. If either system is around $500, isn't that an incredible upgrade? You're paying roughly the same amount of money 20 years later for something 1,600+ times more powerful. Good deal if you ask me. I would not be ok spending more than $500 on a console. At that point I'd just get more into PC gaming.

sneas78

Banned
The PS2 launched at $300 in 2000, which would be around $450 today. The PS5 is around 1600 times more powerful than the PS2 based on teraflops, XSEX even more so. If either system is around $500, isn't that an incredible upgrade? You're paying roughly the same amount of money 20 years later for something 1,600+ times more powerful. Good deal if you ask me. I would not be ok spending more than $500 on a console. At that point I'd just get more into PC gaming.
Are you sure you can get a better spec pc at $550?

The square enix tech demo was released in 2012 running on gtx 680 (3.2tflops). It's obvious it wasn't meant for base PS4. Since we don't have any game made exclusively for PS4 PRO or XBOX we can't really witness something that will match that demo. We will exceed that visual fidelity on the upcoming consoles.
Agnis phylosophybused 32gigs of ram aswell

Why not?

Watch the PlayStation 5 Deep Dive video again when Cerny talks about how RAM is being used.

450_1000.jpg

He makes the key point that data on current gen RAM is sitting idle and waiting there to be potentially used because it contains data for the next 30 seconds of gameplay.

Next gen, this changes to 1 second.

This solution is a lot better than just upgrading the memory. This would allow for better game design overall.
Its still not enough, its the whole point your missing, they had to talk abd explain all the mambo jambo because they know they dont have enough memory, its why the whole talk about nextgen is fast ssds and tricks to work with low memory.

Top Bottom