• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This feels like the Cheapest nextgen transition ever.

Correct. GDDR5. The upcoming GDDR6 already proved to be faster and more efficient though. Should be enough for that particular instance.
It doesnt matter how fast your ram is its not just about fast ram 8gb at a million gb/s is still going to display 8gb on a frame its just going to be faster meaning more fps, the graphics on screen is all the assets polygons textures and whatsoever is available on the 8gb, if you try to run a 9gb application youll have an out of memory error it just wont run its basic physical rule in nature.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Lol People were claiming the Ghost of Tsushima reveal trailer was PS5 footage because it couldn't possibly run on PS4.

Imagine what Sony can do on PS5 with double the power of a Pro.
And if reasonably priced, I highly doubt there's an issue.

Sagii86

It doesnt matter how fast your ram is its not just about fast ram 8gb at a million gb/s is still going to display 8gb on a frame its just going to be faster meaning more fps, the graphics on screen is all the assets polygons textures and whatsoever is available on the 8gb, if you try to run a 9gb application youll have an out of memory error it just wont run its basic physical rule in nature.

I guess we will see soon enough.

geordiemp

I think your being a bit early in your call - we have not seen pricing yet for RDNA2.....

I remember the AMD slides and presentation sugegsting that some of the technology is EUV - EUV is astronomically expensive Lithography - I dont know if they used this for critical gate layers of the substrate or more and is is not clear EXCEPT that 50 % efficiency gain slide RDNA2.

So it could be the silicon is more expensive than all the armchair and sales analysts predict..... as we have not seen pricing from AMD / TSMC for RDNA2,.,It coud be higher and people saying ah only spent 150 bucks on the APU is just a guess.....and could be well off !

Ps5 and XSX could be both over US$ 500. Lets wait, and if lockart does come it couldbe due to high RDNA2 Silicon and memory prices and not because lockart is a cheap as chips solution.....

Also RAM prices have gone up and we are getting 14gbs chips...I think everyone is in for a shock - I am not though....

Lets wait and see, remember current console prices for old Jguar CPU / GCN and 8 GB RAM with an HDD is still MRSP 399 US$ in USA.

If consoles are approx US$ 400 consoles then OP is right 100% and they cheaped out, but I think many are under estimating costs IMO.

Last edited:

GymWolf

We are fucked not even cerny was happy talking about the specs, he was addressing it like hes addressing the coronavirus measures.
we are not fucked, i mean, the people who made gow\tsushima\horizon\tlou2 on a 1.8tf machine are gonna work on a 9-10tf machine, our brains are still gonna get blown away by their games.

but it would be nice if the machine was at least on par with the Sex in terms of raw power or even a little more.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Youll see something but you wont see 17gb running on 16gb thats a solid fact

We will see more than 17 gb running on 16 gb ! Much more.

If the game code is say 4 GB for arguement sake and Sony then can swap out say 8GB RAM intended for GPU in a second for each room you go inside, its like having 100 GB of memory and invisible to the user....

Dont be so down, if XSX is well over 500 you will be hailing Cerny as the next coming.....

If the game code is say 4 GB for arguement sake and Sony then can swap out say 8GB RAM intended for GPU in a second for each room you go inside, its like having 100 GB of memory and invisible to the user....

Dont be so down, if XSX is well over 500 you will be hailing Cerny as the next coming.....
Your talking religion not math,

You said swap! Your talking procedural stuff fact remains you cant have a 9gb frame on 8gb vram your talking religion not science and physical facts.

we are not fucked, i mean, the people who made gow\tsushima\horizon\tlou2 on a 1.8tf machine are gonna work on a 9-10tf machine, our brains are still gonna get blown away by their games.

but it would be nice if the machine was at least on par with the Sex in terms of raw power or even a little more.
The games look good but they all still ran on 8gb of memory we now have 16gb and have to deal with 4k, i absolutely applaud sonys artista but without a bigger canvas meaning ram we are fucking fuked

I think your being a bit early in your call - we have not seen pricing yet for RDNA2.....

I remember the AMD slides and presentation sugegsting that some of the technology is EUV - EUV is astronomically expensive Lithography - I dont know if they used this for critical gate layers of the substrate or more and is is not clear EXCEPT that 50 % efficiency gain slide RDNA2.

So it could be the silicon is more expensive than all the armchair and sales analysts predict..... as we have not seen pricing from AMD / TSMC for RDNA2,.,It coud be higher and people saying ah only spent 150 bucks on the APU is just a guess.....and could be well off !

Ps5 and XSX could be both over US$ 500. Lets wait, and if lockart does come it couldbe due to high RDNA2 Silicon and memory prices and not because lockart is a cheap as chips solution.....

Also RAM prices have gone up and we are getting 14gbs chips...I think everyone is in for a shock - I am not though....

Lets wait and see, remember current console prices for old Jguar CPU / GCN and 8 GB RAM with an HDD is still MRSP 399 US$ in USA.

If consoles are approx US$ 400 consoles then OP is right 100% and they cheaped out, but I think many are under estimating costs IMO.
I know costs have gone high and im not interested with the costs im interested with the machine, i dont work for sony and neither should you care, what i fucking want is a proper nextgen machine and ill rather pay 700$ for a real ps5 with enough memory than a ps5 wannabe pretender of a console with silly 16gigs, its not a PLAYSTATION 5 its an excuse of it.

geordiemp

Your talking religion not math,
You said swap! Your talking procedural stuff fact remains you cant have a 9gb frame on 8gb vram your talking religion not science and physical facts.

Eh ? the 16 gb is unified, they can have 10 or 12 GB VRAM, and can change it at will every second. Your point ? Remember Ps4 pro is only 8 gb...We dont know what the OS footprint is yet.......

I know costs have gone high and im not interested with the costs im interested with the machine, i dont work for sony and neither should you care, what i fucking want is a proper nextgen machine and ill rather pay 700$ for a real ps5 with enough memory than a ps5 wannabe pretender of a console with silly 16gigs, its not a PLAYSTATION 5 its an excuse of it.

Yes I have enough that I also dont care about the price, and so I would also like a £ 700 beast to go with 2 LG C7 OLED on the wall.

However, I am old enough to know not everybody is in same boat, and Ps5 has to be for the mass market world wide as that will feed the games.....

It will also cost a pretty penny to add exra SSD so Sony may have a US$ 700 Ps5 on sale with the SSD expansion, so you might get what you wish lol

Calm down buddy, you will pop a vein.

Last edited:
Eh ? the 16 gb is unified, they can have 10 or 12 GB VRAM, and can change it at will every second. Your point ? Remember Ps4 pro is only 8 gb...We dont know what the OS footprint is yet.......

Yes I have enough that I also dont care about the price, and so I would also like a £ 700 beast to go with 2 LG C7 OLED on the wall.

However, I am old enough to know not everybody is in same boat, and Ps5 has to be for the mass market world wide as that will feed the games.....

It will also cost a pretty penny to add exra SSD so Sony may have a US$ 700 Ps5 on sale with the SSD expansion, so you might get what you wish lol

Calm down buddy, you will pop a vein.
Your not understanding the point.

Top Bottom