• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This generation is pretty bad

fallingdove

franchises we got last gen:

Arkham
Mass Effect
Portal
Bioshock
Cod: Modern Warfare
Souls
Gears of War
Uncharted
The Last of Us
Dead Space
Revamped Fallout
Assassins Creed
The Walking Dead
Red Dead Redemption
Dragon Age

and many more..

Franchises we got this gen:

Wolfenstein...
and...
Horizon Zero Dawn
Bloodborne
Nioh
Astro Bot
PUBG
Cuphead
Detroit
Apex
Fortnite
Titanfall
Driveclub
Killer Instinct Reboot
The Last Guardian

And many more...

I think people are forgetting how painful last gen was. It wasn’t really until mid to late gen that we started getting those games that you listed. This gen we had a few greats right off the bat.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've had a blast this gen. I've had better experiences with classic and AAA games. Last gen we had 3 main entry Dead Space games, 4 Gears of War entries, 2 Fallouts, 3 Dragon Age games, 2 Elder Scrolls, 2 GTA's, and a host of sequels/trilogies. Gaming went from being inside a shoe box to being the star of the show again. Video Game departments at retail were now the hot topic again. Instead of the PS2, Xbox and GameCube just sitting there off to the side. It also came with a host of other issues. PC was taking over towards the end because new genres/digital content was on the rise. You still had very clunky games that ran very poorly. Your generic FPS, action, and RPG came from last gen. You had to hold down a button in Oblivion to clear the cache on Xbox 360. It was good, but it was not perfect.

This gen you've had more than 1 top down RPG do incredibly well, you have a handful of survival horror games, RPGs, action games, and the latter. FROM Software has done incredibly well. You have arcade classics on your modern day console. You also have games like ShenMue 3 and Bloodstained to come out.

Last gen had a lot of great digital games: SFIIHD, MvC collection, PS1/2 Classics, X-MEN, Simpsons (delisted of course), and etc. Street Fighter IV was huge for a while. StarCraft II had not come out yet and Diablo 3. Those all took their time to come out. If anything, the consoles of last gen are much better now if you bought the games at the right time. My PS3 and Xbox 360 look great now, but it took until the very end to create that overall experience. I can play Siren, Fatal Frame 1-3, and a host of great PS2 JRPG's while also playing MvC2. I can load up my current console and play a lot of awesome Arcade Archives, super addicting budget titles, and AA-AAA games that look amazing.

The PSTV and Vita have good things about them. The DS and 3DS have a slug of good titles. But none of that mattered for a while. They all work well together now. The industry, IMO,moves on super fast at times. If you're gaming just to play the latest games then that really only gives you a couple weeks to play the game until something new comes out. Over time you see a large list of games that are indeed fun to play.

The fact I can play tekken, sc, ace combat, forza ,yakuza and a new guilty gear without relying on emulation or arcade rips makes it the best indeed

That and even some PS exclusives appear there like Detroit. Everything xbox is standard pc too nowadays.

Terenty

I agree. Its like games nowadays are made by a committee on an assembly line with prefabricated parts. They are safe and play very similar

There were some games that felt unique and brought something new to the table like MGS5, Rdr2, Rain World, Until Down, Last Guardian(although that one was disappointing) like they were from that golden era of gaming(1990-2007 or smth), but otherwise its has been pretty dull.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
With all extras and side quests yes.
You’re out of your mind.
oh but knack 1 2, and driveclub were? the ratio of good/bad games is relatively the same. there is more quality in the ps3 list than there is in the ps4. don't make arguments that you lose off the bat.

how many 80+ meta games on that ps3 list. and how many on ps4? congrats. you goofed.
it’s how much money that matters and how many people the games bring to the platform. PS4 is trouncing PS3 numbers.... so they must be doing something right.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Did you sleep well, SlashBringingHasher SlashBringingHasher ? Sounds like you need a good restful nap.

Imagine saying this generation is bad when we have had the most 85+ Metacritic/OpenCritic scores in a single generation. Also, a handful of games that set benchmarks for almost every genre of gaming should be noted.

He just needs a Snicker's...

I see this generation as the one where the industry reached its hand out to the consumers to invite them to have a say in the way games were made while at the same time (and in an effort to) really putting a spotlight on their need to please investors. It is a radioactive compound of initiatives that decayed with subsequent disaster, though I'd say it was done by most with good intentions.

As far as games, I would note Uncharted 4, Gears 4 and God of War for it's advancement in graphics and story telling. PUBG battle royale for the creation and popularization of a new genre. Zelda BOTW for it's unparalleled exploration and freedom.

Keep in mind, the generation isn't over. There's still a lot of generation to go. A lot can happen in a year ...and a half...maybe?

ROMhack

I agree but only if we're talking about Sony. Some good multiplats on PS4 but I've not been impressed by their exclusives since The Last Guardian.

Edit: I don't mean to imply that I hate Sony, they're aite.

Last edited:

Rran

OP, sounds like Nintendo and the Switch would be up your alley. Nintendo's been really consistent with game quality throughout the past four decades and their Japanese pride keeps them from buckling to obnoxious market trends (for the most part). Go try out Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey.

TeamGhobad

Banned
and...
Horizon Zero Dawn
Bloodborne
Nioh
Astro Bot
PUBG
Cuphead
Detroit
Apex
Fortnite
Titanfall
Driveclub
Killer Instinct Reboot
The Last Guardian

And many more...

I think people are forgetting how painful last gen was. It wasn’t really until mid to late gen that we started getting those games that you listed. This gen we had a few greats right off the bat.

do you even understand what a franchise is?

I'm 28 by the way.

This gen has been usually sequels from franchises created last gen and not much more than that, there have been some great games, sure, but what I agree completely is the development times and resources to make a game have increased so much that games have to play it safe if they want to be a financial success. And you're completely right, I don't enjoy these games more than the ones from the 6th gen, they just have better graphics. Microsoft completely dropped the ball this gen, Sony is focusing all their efforts into cinematic third person games (which I hate), oh but they have Bloodborne. Nintendo also dropped the ball with the Wii U even though they launched some great games, and at least the Switch is going okay, they still had a terrible second year.

I've been playing mostly on PC this gen because the exclusives haven't been a great deal, they're usually overhyped by fanboys because most of them are not better than the multiplats. The whole gen everyone is following the same trend: Open world, lots of filler missions and maps filled with markers. Until Capcom came in and started releasing games like RE2 and DMCV. I don't see that becoming a trend. Last gen everyone was adding useless online modes to their games and mostly making shooters, this gen everyone is making open world games (the biggest offender for me is MGSV).

I don't think this is the worst gen, personally I disliked the previous one more because I don't like shooters and it seemed like we weren't gonna see Japanese games ever again. If you really like western AAA games I can totally see why you would hate this gen, I personally think it's okay, obviously not as good as the 6th or 5th ones but there were some good games, it's just that Sony and MS had like 5 worthwhile exclusives tops, and the forced open world crap has ruined many games.

silentstalker

Neo Member
Games has gone better. Saying that this generation has gone bad is like seeing a few bad apples and generalizing that all apples are bad.

I could die in peace if everyone just started making proper remastered games. Begone Dragon Age 4, Destiny 3.

Last edited:
Games has gone better. Saying that this generation has gone bad is like seeing a few bad apples and generalizing that all apples are bad.
there are only few apples to talk about in the first place. what other apples are there. this generation neglected almost every genre besides multiplayer and open world action adventure games.

Last edited:

Fbh

I disagree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've enjoyed this gen. Consoles feel smoother, I've liked the overall visual and IQ enhancements and, most importantly, I think that despite the longer devs cycles most years (except maybe the first one) have had no lack of good releases.
And with stuff like Bloodborne, Sekiro, Nier Automata and the Witcher 3 there's been several new entries in my personal top 10 list.

The one thing that I'll agree is that the lack of new franchises has been disappointing

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me, this generation has been mostly great with some excellence thrown in and will be my number one generation of all-time despite Microsoft disappointing me this generation compared to last generation.

From Sony to Ubisoft to Rockstar to CDPR to WB Games to Square Enix to Capcom to THQ Nordic to Bethesda to Electronic Arts to Activision and a few others, I have had a shit ton of good, great and excellent games. Best of all, the generation isn't even over yet.

Last generation was my previous best but halfway through this generation, it was surpassed. Simply better games for me and with the exception of Naughty Dog, Sony's internal studios finally appealed to me with their games. Add in classics like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher III and Red Dead Redemption 2 among others and yeah, the eighth generation of gaming has been my best.

Even Nintendo has for the most part won me back with Switch and they haven't been in my top five publishers/developers since the days of Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64.

The vast majority of gaming is hitting on all cylinders for me. Even now, looking at some other AA games to see if I can get into them and if I do, I truly wouldn't have any complaints.

Generation of greatness easily at least for me anyway.

Neverwas

My biggest complaint about this gen is there are too many 50+ hour games. I get bored of them or distracted by the next big release long before I beat any of them. My backlog is ridiculous.

My biggest complaint about this gen is there are too many 50+ hour games. I get bored of them or distracted by the next big release long before I beat any of them. My backlog is ridiculous.
This resonates with me a lot, fucking Persona 5 is like 90 hours long, I still haven't finished The Witcher 3 and I'm like 50 hours in, Nier Automata like 30 hours in, I'm near the end. I'm not good with really long story modes, I prefer short games with high replayability like DMC. I couldn't even finish MGSV because of how repetitive and non rewarding it is, and I beat every other MGS like 5 times at least. I just had to drop some games because I know I'll never get around to finish them.
And if you not only play current gen games there's even less incentive to use your time getting through filler content. I could get through Metroid Zero Mission in 4 hours and had a fucking blast meanwhile in other games those 4 hours would be grinding and conversations.

PaulBizkit

Stop focusing on western AAA games.

The best games this gen are japanese, with the exception of The Witcher 3, RDR 2 and maybe God of War.

BotW, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, RE7, Sekiro/Nioh, Mario odyssey.

If you want creativity, indie games are where its at. Celeste and Hollow Knight are masterpieces.

I don't agree at all, and i think you'd need to have an extremely narrow point of view that completely disregards anything except a specific subset of video games to state such an opinion. Even if you'd avoid all the other platforms and only consider PS4's catalogue, that system has an abundance of great games released in the last 6 years.

And i'm saying this as a casual observer of the console landscape, i haven't had any interest in console or handheld gaming because none of their exclusive games interest me at all. As a PC gamer, i already have everything and am thankful Japan took a serious interest in the open nature of PC; Still haven't played Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami (which i have to rectify because Kiwami 2 is set on release). There's absolutely nothing on consoles that could possibly entice a possibility to buy them. So considering that, even me as a casual observer can notice that the 8th generation is a good one.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

i don't know if the worst, but clearly this generation is by far less creative than any other. AAA studios used to take risks, now they even cater to the current social/political trends to avoid any backlash.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I like some games. DKTF, Smash 5, Mario Kart 8, and 3D World are some of my favorite games. BotW, Prey, NSMBU and Uncharted are also really good. Abzu was interesting. Overall, though, I think the Switch/PS4 gen is a disappointment compared to past gens. The Switch is very reliant on ports, with only a couple new exclusives that really stand out to me (Smash 5 and BotW are great). The PS4 has a handful of games I enjoy but nowhere near the level of the PS1, 2, or 3.

Funnily enough though, if the Wii U is included in “this generation” my impression of the gen becomes much better. At least in terms of games I really liked

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
i don't know if the worst, but clearly this generation is by far less creative than any other. AAA studios used to take risks, now they even cater to the current social/political trends to avoid any backlash.
Because the cost of taking risks is now sky high. When game development frequently cost between $50-$100M (sometimes way more) there has to be a return on investment.

Now one thing I think developers could do to mitigate those risks is to release more games using older tech such as the original Quake, Doom, Unreal. Those could be done with much smaller teams and would be a great way to test out a new franchise that doesnt have all those development costs.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I've personal think it hasn't been a bad generation but If you own just and Xbox one then yeah it's been extremely poor in terms of exclusives in comparison to the competition

But this generation has had more fuck ups than any other in years. Buggy unfinished products are rampant this generation

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

AGree with the sentiment. I just don't find the AAA space very interesting as a whole.

Zelda:Botw got me out of bed though.

Last edited:

manfestival

I think people need to try to have perspective here. I do kinda agree. This has become the generation of remastering everything and super long development time. Then we got some huge disappointments in the process. Granted some of these happened in prior gens but nothing to the extent within this generation. There are some glaring titles missing because publishers/developers also got lazy. A couple of notable examples Elder Scrolls 6(all we got in exchange was skyrim remastered)& GTA 6(really doubt this is going to come out this generation due to sitting on GTAO).

Always been heavier into PC gaming but this generation also blended the line between PC gaming and Console gaming even further than previous generations. Making for less notable console games. Especially from bigger development studios.

With all that said, I enjoy every generation for what is has to offer but I think that it might be fair to call this one of the worst generations so far(once again, that is not a bad thing since I do not think there is an actual BAD gaming generation).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Those are big criticisms OP maybe this gen didn't live up to your own personal expectations? Because this gen, I'm not the biggest fan of, but its clicking for me.

Jubenhimer

Sorry, but I don't see it. I think this generation has been the best we've had since gen 6th. We have a lot of variety and choice these days thanks to the growth of indie developers, and streamlining of modern development tools. Yes, you can look at the AAA scene and just say it's crap, but that's only a small segment of the overall marketplace.

tr1p1ex

I think people need to try to have perspective here. I do kinda agree. This has become the generation of remastering everything and super long development time. Then we got some huge disappointments in the process. Granted some of these happened in prior gens but nothing to the extent within this generation. There are some glaring titles missing because publishers/developers also got lazy. A couple of notable examples Elder Scrolls 6(all we got in exchange was skyrim remastered)& GTA 6(really doubt this is going to come out this generation due to sitting on GTAO).

Always been heavier into PC gaming but this generation also blended the line between PC gaming and Console gaming even further than previous generations. Making for less notable console games. Especially from bigger development studios.

With all that said, I enjoy every generation for what is has to offer but I think that it might be fair to call this one of the worst generations so far(once again, that is not a bad thing since I do not think there is an actual BAD gaming generation).

speaking of pcgaming, there's even fewer notable pc games these day. I mean back in the day pc games meant games you couldn't dream of playing on consoles. Exclusives that really pushed what a pc could do. Now it mostly means console ports albeit with better graphics and fps if you buy a $600 vid card.

Stop focusing on western AAA games.

I agree OP. Games have just become more hollywood and less fun.

Have said the same, offcourse theres hardcore fans disagree, but i really hope next gen isnt as 'meh' in AAA exclusives as this one.

speaking of pcgaming, there's even fewer notable pc games these day. I mean back in the day pc games meant games you couldn't dream of playing on consoles. Exclusives that really pushed what a pc could do. Now it mostly means console ports albeit with better graphics and fps if you buy a $600 vid card.

True, on the other hand pc gaming offers that 60fps which is a quite nice advantage, ray-tracing for the people that want it, and everything Xbox is PC these days.
This is a general trend though, even for consoles, aside from the few sony exclusives a year. More and more games are on pc<>console.
Maybe we should see PC and Xbox as one platform as 'Xbox' shares everything between the two. Halo Infinite is supposedly designed with PC in mind, it could be promising.
PC gaming otherwise is in a much better state then it was around 6th and 7th gen, better then ever before. But like said i do agree, No Half Life 3, Far Cry, Doom III etc

https://wccftech.com/halo-infinite-developed-pc-mind/

Ian Henry

Tbh despite there being great games out there, this generation kind of weak.

Most games just feel the same and compared to previous gens, lack creativity, quantity, and quality. I hope next gen can innovate more. This hasn't been a golden age at all.

Bryank75

Banned
It all depends on if you like the colour brown. If you do then PS3/360 is for you.

Yeah, gen 7 was all brown and dull colors. Took itself overly serious. Remember DMC , travesties like that we’re because of how serious everything had to be last generation.

But it sounds like the op needs his games to be edgy and super serious.

If you were a big COD player, of course last gen was better but that’s casual....

Sygma

this gen has been wildly unimaginative as a whole in the AAA department (save for some Sony titles) but the quality of the games increased. so all in all its not too bad

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
[
It all depends on if you like the colour brown. If you do then PS3/360 is for you.

Naw dude i loved sub hd games. I loved my broken 360. I loved my 480p dildo. I loved my $600 paperweight.

If you were a big COD player, of course last gen was better but that’s casual....

I loved CoD and bought it 6 years in a row. Even I can see this gen is better lol

KINDERFELD

Banned
What the Switch has to offer currently is terribly lacking and Microsoft has the most powerful console currently on market with absolutely no exclusives to showcase it.

ROMhack

a lot of games were brown yeah but there was much more creativity last gen. unique games coming out wit hdecent budget was nice.

Yeah, I always look at games like Binary Domain, Catherine and Lollipop Chainsaw of evidence of games that don't exist this gen. Indie games have stepped it up with efforts like Rime though.

Top Bottom