• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is SSX (Trailer) + Uber Mondays

The lack of realism is what set SSX apart from all the other snowboarding games way back when. I remember playing with my young nephew and niece. It's funny how we each gravitated towards a specific character and stuck with that one throughout the series. Nephew was a Mac. I was a Zoe. Niece was hardcore Elise. And their dad was Eddie. I texted them today about the demo and they were excited to try it.

Which is understandable when you think about it. The last popular SSX game was SSX 3 and that came out almost 10 years ago. Today's 12-14 year olds were toddlers back then. They basically grew up with "super realistic games".

What is this that I am feeling?

Bgamer90

Banned
The lack of realism is what set SSX apart from all the other snowboarding games way back when. I remember playing with my young nephew and niece. It's funny how we each gravitated towards a specific character and stuck with that one throughout the series. Nephew was a Mac. I was a Zoe. Niece was hardcore Elise. And their dad was Eddie. I texted them today about the demo and they were excited to try it.

Funny story. Back when I was about 12, me and my cousin went over my cousin's friend's house and he had an xbox with Amped. He talked about how Amped was so much better than SSX due to Amped being more realistic and how "...only the wack White kids like SSX".

I didn't know what to say lol. I just shook my head.

The demo better impress.

lol my friend said the exact same thing a few minutes ago after I have spent weeks hyping the game up to high heaven

and as for those little kids that didn't grow up with good video games who think SSX "looks dumb". I say fuck um they will live a meaningless existence devoid of fun until ultimately they return to the nothingness from which they were spawned.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The fact that the beginning years of the 00's were 10+ years ago makes me feel old too even though I'm still young (20's).

I'm just use to automatically thinking "90's" when someone says "10 years ago..."

I was thinking SSX 3 was only 4 or 5 years ago. Hard to believe it's been over 10 years since this franchise debuted.

and as for those little kids that didn't grow up with good video games who think SSX "looks dumb". I say fuck um they will live a meaningless existence devoid of fun until ultimately they return to the nothingness from which they were spawned.
I love this post.

I remember when SSX was a AAA franchise. I even have an old EGM from the ps2 launch that said "EA Canada is the top studio to watch" because SSX was the breakout hit of the year. It was like the Minecraft of its time.

Funny story. Back when I was about 12, me and my cousin went over my cousin's friend's house and he had an xbox with Amped. He talked about how Amped was so much better than SSX due to Amped being more realistic and how "...only the wack White kids like SSX".

I didn't know what to say lol. I just shook my head.

My brother tried to convince me that Amped was better because it was more realistic. I tried it, but after playing a ton of SSX it just felt slow and plodding, and I missed the tight SSX controls. I also missed the sense of speed and verticality.

Bgamer90

Banned

you-have-been-officaly-destroyed-5877.gif

I remember when SSX was a AAA franchise. I even have an old EGM from the ps2 launch that said "EA Canada is the top studio to watch" because SSX was the breakout hit of the year. It was like the Minecraft of its time.

3 90+ games in a row on Metacritic. Very few franchises can claim such unniversal praise.

Bgamer90

Banned
My brother tried to convince me that Amped was better because it was more realistic. I tried it, but after playing a ton of SSX it just felt slow and plodding, and I missed the tight SSX controls. I also missed the sense of speed and verticality.

Yeah exactly. Plus SSX just had a lot more polish in comparison. Amped felt like a 90's extreme sports game.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm working on the OT still. It's coming, don't worry. Would you like to see the header image?

When will you post the thread?

I'm currently working on setting up a "Neogaf custom soundtrack" iTunes playlist for people to download songs to transfer them into the game (and/or download them to listen to).

Thought it would be cool if a link to it (or a link to a separate thread with the itunes playlist) could be in the OP of the OT.

soultron

Banned
When will you post the thread?

I'm currently working on setting up a "Neogaf custom soundtrack" iTunes playlist for people to download songs to transfer them into the game (and/or download them to listen to).

Thought it would be cool if a link to it (or a link to a separate thread with the itunes playlist) could be in the OP of the OT.

I have a soundtrack section of the OST and I can add a link in there, if you'd like. I'm also going to reserve the second post for additional stuff.

The OT is a few hours off still, dudes. Sorry! I'm finishing the Photoshop bits, then I need to slice it all up so that I can link every picture in the OT to the related information. I'll be sure to let you know when the OT is done by posting a link to it in here.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have a soundtrack section of the OST and I can add a link in there, if you'd like. I'm also going to reserve the second post for additional stuff.

The OT is a few hours off still, dudes. Sorry! I'm finishing the Photoshop bits, then I need to slice it all up so that I can link every picture in the OT to the related information. I'll be sure to let you know when the OT is done by posting a link to it in here.

ibkAYtVWpHEmAP.gif

Bgamer90

Banned

Oh okay cool. But yeah, was just asking since I thought that it would be easier for more people to check it out if there was a link in the OT.

Scapegoat

I know Ty in this game looks nothing like Ty Pennington, but I still can't help myself from calling him Ty Pennington.
Hahaha and you could totally imagine him being a character in an SSX game.

Was I right in thinking I read that the Harmony stuff won't be in the demo? Kind of disappointing just cause I'm really excited to see how that stuff works (and if it's actually good or not).

KuroNeeko

Kinda like
House_Thirteen.1.jpg

I was going to say that she looks kind of like Miranda from ME2, but I think you got me on this one...

Too bad we can't trade Travis for well, anyone else? (Not hating on the man, just would rather have franchise characters.)

Kaori. What happened. :(

I know, right? ;.;

People keep saying that she's grown up and all but I'm not feeling like they got the Japanese, snowboarder, subculture down right. Oh well, still going to use her.

Suairyu

Banned
I didn't understand the complaints about Elise in the ubermondays trailer, but seeing her there in soultron's OT work and suddenly I can see how odd she looks. I dun' like it! She's my favourite character.

... she better say "Canadian girls kick BUTT!" or I'm ditching her.

Top Bottom