• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is what happens to your pets at animal shelters (disturbing pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrene

Banned
There wouldn't be commercial breeders if there weren't people willing to buy the animals. Making puppies and kittens is so easy that it would be impossible to really regulate.
Uh yeah, sure. Because a breeder's income isn't taxable or auditable in any way?

Arcayne

If that is true, than I feel even more depressed about my 13yo golden retriever whom my sibling told me passed away in her house, but later I found out my goldie was put down in an animal shelter.

To imagine her being tossed and curled in a garbage container amongst other pets seriously saddens me.

none of this is news to me. it's the reason my family had our beagle cremated.

as much as people love puppies, adopting a dog is a far more generous gesture.

slit

So fucked up how people just shirk their responsibilities. My pets always come with me, I don't care where I move, there is always someplace that will accept pets.

I volunteered at a shelter. A kill one. Couldn't keep doing it once I learned what symbols meant "on the time clock to get needled."

That being said not all shelters are the same. Please don't lump them all together. There are no-kill shelters in existence that you can take pets to. It would be great if people did the research if they cannot find another person to adopt their pet.

slit

I volunteered at a shelter. A kill one. Couldn't keep doing it once I learned what symbols meant "on the time clock to get needled."

That being said not all shelters are the same. Please don't lump them all together. There are no-kill shelters in existence that you can take pets to. It would be great if people did the research if they cannot find another person to adopt their pet.

Yeah I volunteered at a no-kill shelter. The problem is once they're out of room, that's it they can't take anymore. Capacity was almost always full.

Yeah I volunteered at a no-kill shelter. The problem is once they're out of room, that's it they can't take anymore. Capacity was almost always full.

Yeah but it's better to try to put your pet in one of those once you've exhausted the efforts to give the cat/pet to others. The kill shelter should be the very last resort but in my cases it simply isn't.

Persona7

Banned
Another awful thing that happens frequently at animal control shelters is that if kittens or puppies and are under 9 weeks, they will probably be instantly euthanized because they can't care for animals that are that young.

THRILLH0

Banned
Sorry, I refuse to engage or debate anyone who comes up with nonsense like this.

That's a bullshit response. You took responsibility for a living thing and when it became too difficult for you to handle you decided your convenience was more important than it's wellbeing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
That's a bullshit response. You took responsibility for a living thing and when it became too difficult for you to handle you decided your convenience was more important than it's wellbeing.

A cat is not a human. To even compare the situations between getting rid of a cat or a human "son" is asinine.

pj

Banned
Uh yeah, sure. Because a breeder's income isn't taxable or auditable in any way?

Maybe the larger ones but my first purebred dog, an akc registered yellow lab, came from a redneck who had two dogs that liked to fuck. I'm sure the irs would find out or care about the three grand a year he made selling puppies.

entremet

what would you do if your child started peeing all over the floor?

You're comparing a pet to a human being? Ok.

But back to the topic. The issue is that people aren't committed to their pets. They are seen as disposable and there is rarely any licensing or education to get a pet.

I love animals, but they don't fit my lifestyle in a tiny one bedroom.

xbhaskarx

Listen to Bob Barker: spay and neuter your pets.

If you want a pet, adopt one from your local shelter, don't buy an animal from a pet store that was most likely bred in a puppy mill...

Listen to Bob Barker: spay and neuter your pets.

If you want a pet, adopt one from your local shelter, don't buy an animal from a pet store that was most likely bred in a puppy mill...

Adding to this, claims by a pet store that their puppies aren't from puppy mills are meaningless. It's basically just the store saying that they don't consider the place where the puppies are from to be a puppy mill. Claims that the breeders are licensed by this organization or that are usually pretty meaningless as well from an animal welfare standpoint.

Note however that some stores donate space to local shelters and rescues and that's, of course, a fine place to adopt a pet.

Aiustis

When my cat became too needy for me to care for her, I put an advert out saying that I would continue to purchase her food and litter on the condition that I got to check in on her once a week.

Fortunately my friend took her on and that's pretty much my second home.

;_; Even if this particular story isn't true, it can't be far from the truth. The animals being killed isn't the bad part, it's what they are put through before.
It amazes me how little thought or preparation people put into getting a pet like a cat or dog. It's just a reflexive impulse buy for a lot of people.
Our species just didn't evolve to think in the long-term.

davepoobond

The point of analogies is not 1:1 equivalency.

If you give away a pet because it's urinating in the house you're a selfish asshole who should never have entered into pet ownership let alone child rearing.

the point of analogies may not be 1:1 equivalency, but you are obviously equating them in your usage of analogies in THIS case.

the lowest common denominator here is not "the ability to take care of a cat." There is nothing involved with taking care of a cat that relates to "child rearing." If it does, then i'm teaching my 1 year old to use the litter box and letting him lick himself clean. No baths.

God that is heart-wrenching. I can't even begin to imagine a dog, abandoned and scared, pining for its family.. That thought wrecks me, let alone knowing it's most likely going to be put down.

I absolutely love dogs; I can't wait to be able to have a dog of my own someday. But I know that I need to wait until I have a house of my own and I'm stable enough to afford it.

bill0527

the point of analogies may not be 1:1 equivalency, but you are obviously equating them in your usage of analogies in THIS case.

the lowest common denominator here is not "the ability to take care of a cat." There is nothing involved with taking care of a cat that relates to "child rearing." If it does, then i'm teaching my 1 year old to use the litter box and letting him lick himself clean. No baths.

Comparing a cat to a human is more along the lines of a false equivalency.

I can communicate with a human being. I can find out if its a medical problem or a behavioral problem and take steps to correct it. I can ask the human being what the problem is and get a response. With a cat, you can only guess....and after $1k in vet bills..apparently thats all a vet can do also.

I can't communicate with people who put animals on the same level as human beings. I cannot understand the thought process. So let's say we are down to the last bite of food in the house...should I flip a coin to see who gets it? Heads...the cat, tails...my son. Bullshit.

Lets me ask those who want to call me a selfish asshole a question.... Would you knowingly adopt an animal that pisses and/or shits all over your house, knowing that the animal has been found to have no medical problems, but has already caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to someone else's home? And we aren't talking about a puppy or kitten here. Were talking about an adult middle aged animal. Would you run out and adopt that animal and bring it into your home? No you wouldn't. Nobody would. Even the animal shelters know this. I was told by several shelters that animals who get turned over to them that have problems where they refuse to use the litter box or take care of their business outside, get sent straight to the front of the kill line because they don't want any liability for damage or sickness caused by this problem.

Machine

Comparing a cat to a human is more along the lines of a false equivalency.

I can communicate with a human being. I can find out if its a medical problem or a behavioral problem and take steps to correct it. I can ask the human being what the problem is and get a response. With a cat, you can only guess....and after $1k in vet bills..apparently thats all a vet can do also.

I can't communicate with people who put animals on the same level as human beings. I cannot understand the thought process. So let's say we are down to the last bite of food in the house...should I flip a coin to see who gets it? Heads...the cat, tails...my son. Bullshit.

Lets me ask those who want to call me a selfish asshole a question.... Would you knowingly adopt an animal that pisses and/or shits all over your house, knowing that the animal has been found to have no medical problems, but has already caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to someone else's home? And we aren't talking about a puppy or kitten here. Were talking about an adult middle aged animal. Would you run out and adopt that animal and bring it into your home? No you wouldn't. Nobody would. Even the animal shelters know this. I was told by several shelters that animals who get turned over to them that have problems where they refuse to use the litter box or take care of their business outside, get sent straight to the front of the kill line because they don't want any liability for damage or sickness caused by this problem.

When I adopted my cat, I was warned that one of the reasons she was surrendered was that she urinated on the previous owner's bed occasionally. I've had her eight months now and she has never urinated anywhere outside the litter box. She's the sweetest cat I've ever been around. With your attitude, she would have been euthanized before I ever had a chance to adopt her.

Wazzy

Banned
I was not prepared for that pic. I was already feeling down and sick, this picture made me feel awful.

I really hate people who just abandon their pets.

davepoobond

When I adopted my cat, I was warned that one of the reasons she was surrendered was that she urinated on the previous owner's bed occasionally. I've had her eight months now and she has never urinated anywhere outside the litter box. She's the sweetest cat I've ever been around. With your attitude, she would have been euthanized before I ever had a chance to adopt her.

"occasionally" is a far cry from "always"

bill spent a thousand bucks trying to help the cat. there's only so much people can afford to put into a cat like that. i'd say he's gone above and beyond what a normal person would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom