• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Nintendo conference summary - Score: 10/10

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tenbatsu said:
Hoho, seems like a new Golden Sun is coming either for the Wii or the DS.
No, that's not what he said, read the post before yours. They want to give it the time it deserves if they decide to do it.

Rezbit

Disaster - kind of want? Some shots, like the one where he's beside the truck firing the gun = sickening, other shots such as the one with the building falling down = yaaaay!

Terrell

Good to see the money spent on Monolith isn't going down the crapper. My interest in Disaster has increased, and the DS game looks kinda cool.

Hiroyuki Takahashi: First of all, I love that game and I love the world of Golden Sun. We think we have to make another one. We have to do it! Not just that we have to do it, but we want to do it. Nintendo has asked us to please make it. But at the same time we haven’t gotten around to making it. We’re not really sure why. (laughs)
Not laughing over here, Takahashi.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hang on, Wii Fit is out this year in Japan? oh my god, I thought it would hit the stores there around March to be the spring/summer 2008 system sell that Wii Sports was for them during 2007, ah well.

Stop It said:
Hang on, Wii Fit is out this year in Japan? oh my god, I thought it would hit the stores there around March to be the spring/summer 2008 system sell that Wii Sports was for them during 2007, ah well.

They're going for the kill in Japan. Holiday launch of SMG and WiiFit, "stealing" MH3, Jan. launch of SSBB, then Mariokart in 1Q, they want Japan to be even more a Nintendoland than it already is. They're even going to be offering broadband plans soon in Japan focused on getting more Wii users online with their Wii, going so far as to even offer in-home setup of the equipment and call centers for tech support. How can MS and Sony hope to compete with that on rush?

I LOVE it! :lol

zaxor0

_Alkaline_ said:
I know this has probably been asked already, but has the American conference already happened? Or is it still to come?

I would like to know too, anyone know where I can find out at, if not on here?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Lonewolf_92 said:
They're even going to be offering broadband plans soon in Japan focused on getting more Wii users online with their Wii, going so far as to even offer in-home setup of the equipment and call centers for tech support. How can MS and Sony hope to compete with that on rush?

I LOVE it! :lol

holy crap. thats amazing :D

Lobster

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Holy Shit! The shot with the building coming down in Disaster looks hella cool. I think I might hold out getting a 360 because there is like 10 games I already want next year.

Disaster indeed looks cool. Even the main character looks like someone I'll enjoy being. Looks badass.

Im sure Monolith will be able to make it look and be good by its release.

Neomoto

Oke I did a fairly big update to the OP.

Hopefully soms things are made clearer and I've added some new cool stuff. If anyone has a good description on whats going on with the NA conference I'll put it at the start of the OP since so many people are asking about it.

Some things I've added:

Steel Princess (from Marvelous Interactive) for DS announced

- 2008 release
- action RPG
- developed by Climax
- play as Anice the Pirate
- steal treasure
- sword, whip
- a lot of items

Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends (DS) announced

- Marvelous Interfactive
- Winter release in Japan
- Five islands
- Island from last game is in this title
- Trade items over wifi
- Mark and Chelsea return
- Takes place on Sunflower Islands
- Wild animals help you along the way
- Find stones to unlock new islands
- Voice chat via WFC
[/quote]

- Nintendo updated the Japanese Wii Virtual Console site with tons of videos for Virtual Console releases.

- New WiiWare title: Okiraku Ping Pong Wii from Arc System Works

- Apparently also 2 new 2nd party Nintendo WiiWare games: Marble game (Mindware) and Puzzleloop (Mitchell). Thanks to jj984jj for the info.

- Every sale chart on the conference (aka how Nintendo owns Japan)

- Tales of Symphonia: Knights of Ratatosk trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3zkx5krfE

Updates:

DS Demo Channel (Everybody's Nintendo Channel) announced

- Nintendo announced that a DS download service is coming that will allow gamers to download DS demo's from your Wii and send them to your DS.
- It also lets users download and view video's for (upcoming) games.
- You can also vote/rate games you own online and search on games recommendations that suits your criteria

More in-depth info from mutsu:

You first identify yourself (age, gender, etc), then you go ahead and recommend a game that you have played. You can choose who to recommend to (anyone or people who plays games often), what kind of game it is (is it a casual game or requires dedication), suitable for how many people (single or multi player).

People can then basically search for a game, and view the people's comments/recommendations on all Wii games available, to determine if the game is suitable for them or not.

wcs01.jpg

wcs02.jpg

Video (youtube)

* Will launch in Japan in november! *[/quote]

WiiWare updates

3 New WiiWare games

Ping Pong Wii
Developer: Arc System Works

This is a Ping Pong title that uses the Wiimote for direct controls of your in-game counterpart's paddle. Based on how you swing, you can achieve top spin, back spin, smashes and other shots. The game lets you chose between automatic movement and manual movement. When set to automatic, all you have to do is time your shots and swing. Those who want the full ping pong experience will want to go with manual mode. Modes of play will include a challenge mode, where you earn items by playing five mini games, and a four player doubles mode, where the screen splits to make sure everyone has a similar view of the action.

"Marble game"
Developer: Mindware
Publisher: Nintendo

Puzzleloop
Developer: Mitchell

Updated: WiiWare games

Pokémon Farm Channel
Developer: Ambrella

Dr. Mario & Bacteria Extermination (online)
Developer: Nintendo

Dr. Mario & Bacteria Extermination is a remake of the classic Dr. Mario puzzler. You can make your Mii appear in place of the Mario characters, and can challenge friends over Wi-Fi. The game includes the Saikin Bokumetsu game from the Japanese Brain Age 2, which can now be play cooperatively with four players.

[ Screens here ]
That makes 4 first party published WiiWare titles, 3 of them are 2nd party.

Iwata Claims Over 100 Wii Ware Proposals Iwata: "We've already received proposals for over 100 titles from software development companies."
Nice!

Wii Music update
Wii Music media and info

wiis07_music.jpg

Seems more indepth, with apparently also different themes.

- Control music by using Wiimote and Nunchuck in correct time (button presses included)
- 6 person band
- 40 instruments
- 4-player support (single player controls 4 musicians or 1 while the CPU does the rest)
- 2008 in Japan

Wii Music footage (Super Mario Bros. Theme song played)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9vCkqw4izY

- Disaster: Day of Crisis new screens included (thanks gaffer Endless)
- Small Mario Kart Wii update. Also, Boo confirmed as new character.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games update

Sega has announced Mii integration in the upcoming Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, allowing you to use your Mii to compete against gaming legends. Along with the Mii integration, Sega has also confirmed four Dream events to be included in the game on top of the extensive lineup of real Olympic events. These take place in colorful, game-inspired stages laced with power-ups and special moves, appeasing the Mario and Sonic purists out there. There's a Dream Race on the Sandhill Race Course, Dream Platform Diving which sounds a bit like Pilot Wings skydiving, Dream Fencing on jungle beach, and Dream Table Tennis in a 'sci-fi wonderland'.

Dream Events footage

- More Advance Wars DS 2 screens

- Some smaller updates on Wii games with media and such.

Neomoto

Responding to some questions:

JoshuaJSlone said:
Didn't an SNES Fire Emblem (III?) contain a remake of the NES one as only part of the game? Do we know yet whether this contains the SNES stuff too, or if this is really just the NES content again?
Yes there is a FE III with the FE I remaked. The only info I've seen however only states FE 1 so I guess we have to wait to find out.

ethelred said:
I don't know, what are their core game development teams doing?
Afaik..

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Animal Crossing Wii
Mario Kart Wii
New Zelda & Legend of Zelda: Crossbow Training
Wii Motor-Sports (NST?)
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Kirby's Adventure (HAL) ?
Retro's new game and just finished Metroid Prime 3
Intelligent Systems ??? (I only know of 3 ds games but it's likely they have their Paper Mario team doing 1 Wii game (doesn't have to be Paper Mario of course))
Monolith has 2 titles in the works (RPG's?) and Disaster

Beyond that I don't know

Btw, I don't think Disaster looks horrible, I kind of like the style of the game. It's pretty cool, hopefully they'll polish the graphics a bit and I am curious to find out how the title plays exactly.

wsippel

Banned
Neomoto, since you're listing TBA WiiWare titles, you might as well add the WiiWare project by Shin'en (Nanostray).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
What exactly was "Saikin Bokumetsu from the Japanese Brain Age 2"? I have the USA Brain Age 2 here with a Dr. Mario variation in it... is Bacteria/Virus Killer DIFFERENT than that?

Iwata Claims Over 100 Wii Ware Proposals Iwata: "We've already received proposals for over 100 titles from software development companies."

If even 10% of those gets made thats crazy good numbers right off the bat there.

MrSardonic said:
It's a shame to see the abomination that MarioKart has become.

I just...I don't understand. It's adding more! More vehicles, more characters, more racers at once, online play (on a home console), I don't see what you can object to.

TheGreatDave said:
I just...I don't understand. It's adding more! More vehicles, more characters, more racers at once, online play (on a home console), I don't see what you can object to.
MrSardonic thinks every MK game aside from the SNES original is an abomination.

Ramenman

Thanks for the source about Online Co-op in Brawl, I've been desperately asking for it.

And also I didn't know about 12 players online for MK, that's freakin great ! 12 players races yeehooo :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
a gamn good thread. and most importantly, bwii seems to be coming along de-li-cious. where are the festivities, people!?

Neomoto

Ramenman said:
Thanks for the source about Online Co-op in Brawl, I've been desperately asking for it.

And also I didn't know about 12 players online for MK, that's freakin great ! 12 players races yeehooo :D
Sure, I'd thought it might be handy so I searched it again. Didn't see you asking in this thread though? Sorry if I missed it :)

12 player online Mario Kart is indeed awesome. Now all we need is more info on battle mode and were set.

wsippel said:
Neomoto, since you're listing TBA WiiWare titles, you might as well add the WiiWare project by Shin'en (Nanostray).
Strange that I missed that one (was keeping tabs on WiiWare and it's titles even before this conference). Thanks for the heads up, added to OP.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games update

Sega has announced Mii integration in the upcoming Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, allowing you to use your Mii to compete against gaming legends. Along with the Mii integration, Sega has also confirmed four Dream events to be included in the game on top of the extensive lineup of real Olympic events. These take place in colorful, game-inspired stages laced with power-ups and special moves, appeasing the Mario and Sonic purists out there. There's a Dream Race on the Sandhill Race Course, Dream Platform Diving which sounds a bit like Pilot Wings skydiving, Dream Fencing on jungle beach, and Dream Table Tennis in a 'sci-fi wonderland'.

Wow I was wrong about this they found a way not to keep it one setting in China

Wow, I was right about this not being only set in China.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Its been a great conference. There was so many good things announced. It makes me feel so good that I chose to buy a wii this summer.

Firestorm

Woah wait what the heck. I just realized 12 players ONLINE was confirmed :O :O :O If this features non-waggle controls, snaking, and better matchmaking... best mario kart ever confirmed

Sagitario

Firestorm said:
If this features non-waggle controls...

That's one big if... I highly doubt it, and after seeing the wheel accessory, you know it will have waggle (even if it's just to hit the kart next to yours in the race, like the second player did on DD)...

Dash

I'm actually pretty excited about Wii Fit--and this is coming from one of the most nonathletic persons in the world :p.

Firestorm

Farore said:
That's one big if... I highly doubt it, and after seeing the wheel accessory, you know it will have waggle (even if it's just to hit the kart next to yours in the race, like the second player did on DD)...

Yeah =( It's just that I didn't like the controls of that Mario Kart Arcade game by Namco too much.

Eteric Rice

Phife Dawg said:
I can't help but laugh at the trees in that game. The enviromental effects could be cool though.

I'm praying to God that they're placeholders. They look like the trees from EverQuest.

Tenbatsu said:
Hoho, seems like a new Golden Sun is coming either for the Wii or the DS.

Cannot wait. No matter for DS or Wii. It is enough that comes out somewhere.

ivysaur12 said:
We still haven't seen it in motion or seen how it plays. Let's not judge it before those.

Monolith has talent (Baten Kaitos I and II). But I don't think that action games is their genre. Anyway, there is still time.

MrSardonic said:
It's a shame to see the abomination that MarioKart has become.

Oh crap. Many say that it must remain Mario Kart, but then others will say that it is always the same thing and that the franchise need an evolution. it has been like that with Twilight Princess.
Let them try. The only thing it has to improve is the graphics engine: it can be better then this.

Top Bottom