• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Nintendo conference summary - Score: 10/10

Penguin

Avrum said:
It would be great to see if some games that were never completed, having some limited development time to allow players to experience what could have been. Project HAMMER for example, and seeing a WiiWare adaptation of what the game was meant to be as a retail release.

That's an interesting point.
And to be honest with you, that's what I thought the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game on WiiWare was. It was the assets from when they originally showed the game re-used for a smaller scale game while they continue work on The Crystal Bearers. I could be completely off base here.

Innotech

Banned
Incredible stuff. I have been in awe at least the last 24 hours over all this.

I do wonder, however, how Nintendo is going to solve the space problem, because it is a very real issue. I have confidence that they will find a way but Im definitely curious.

Also my friend and roommate will be very very happy about Monster hunter 3 so I might end up picking that up for them to play.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Avrum said:
It would be great to see if some games that were never completed, having some limited development time to allow players to experience what could have been. Project HAMMER for example, and seeing a WiiWare adaptation of what the game was meant to be as a retail release.
So you want them to release unfinished discarded rubbish?

So you want to buy unfinished discarded rubbish?

Avrum

Innotech said:

I do wonder, however, how Nintendo is going to solve the space problem, because it is a very real issue. I have confidence that they will find a way but Im definitely curious.

Also my friend and roommate will be very very happy about Monster hunter 3 so I might end up picking that up for them to play.

Very true about the space issue. I'm not even big on VC games, but between the 16 Wii games I own, the 13 VC games and the channels and updates I've downloaded, I'm down to just around 400 blocks of space left. I can see that being eradicated before the year is out.

@ Penguin

Yeah I know what you mean; the style definitely has a style akin to the original Crystal Bearers footage before the whole airship jumping thing they have with the game now. You may not be too off base and I wonder if there would be any commentary about this sort of thing before too long.

Innotech said:

An easy way would be to make the SD card viable. Just have it as an expansion of the internal memory.
It's a simple update, and would be greatly appreciated.
They could also allow for HDD support, even if they released their own proprietary one.

Avrum

The Black Brad Pitt said:
So you want them to release unfinished discarded rubbish?

So you want to buy unfinished discarded rubbish?

I don't want them to put it out there unfinished in the sense that it's full of holes and glitches and such; but instead of canning it altogether direct its orientation towards WiiWare. It may end up as a smaller project in the end, but it would be a better alternative to at least get a taste of what the game could be than to see it die off into nothingness.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
Heh. I'm usually not very psychic, but I'm getting a strange vibe. Perhaps a message given to me by the ghost of overreacting future...

I don't know, what are their core game development teams doing? They announced a single new game in development by their core game development teams (Monolithsoft's new RPG). It's not like they pulled a curtain away to reveal a flood of hardcore oriented games on the way.

Banned
ethelred said:
I don't know, what are their core game development teams doing? They announced a single new game in development by their core game development teams (Monolithsoft's new RPG). It's not like they pulled a curtain away to reveal a flood of hardcore oriented games on the way.
:lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

What is so funny?

As far as new 1st party 08 games, there was nothing except Mario baseball. Wii's 3rd party 08 lineup actually looks better than Nintendo's at this point.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
We know what most of them are doing, which team are you referring to? Only the Zelda team and NST have been quiet.

Tristam

ethelred said:

Of course the only answer is that nobody knows. I know that you've complained about Nintendo's tendency to hide their hand, and I'm not inclined to disagree with you. On the other hand, I don't possess the voracious appetite for games (or a budget to support said appetite) others on this board do.

jj984jj said:
We know what most of them are doing, which team are you referring to? Only the Zelda team and NST have been quite.

Well there's the Zelda and NST teams. There's also Tokyo EAD (no complaints here, really; I don't expect them to announce something so soon) among other divisions within EAD and Retro Studios.

Innotech

Banned
schuelma said:
What is so funny?

As far as new 1st party 08 games, there was nothing except Mario baseball. Wii's 3rd party 08 lineup actually looks better than Nintendo's at this point.

Im actually kinda happy about that. It gives third parties a chance to shine. In a way, Nintendo focusing more on casual games has opened the door for more traditional style games to sell on Wii to the hardcore players.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Innotech said:
Im actually kinda happy about that. It gives third parties a chance to shine. In a way, Nintendo focusing more on casual games has opened the door for more traditional style games to sell on Wii to the hardcore players.

Why can't we have both?

ethelred said:

Finishing Mario, Smash Bros and Mario Kart? We also know what IntSys is doing. Who's left?

Innotech

Banned
Avrum said:
I don't want them to put it out there unfinished in the sense that it's full of holes and glitches and such; but instead of canning it altogether direct its orientation towards WiiWare. It may end up as a smaller project in the end, but it would be a better alternative to at least get a taste of what the game could be than to see it die off into nothingness.
I agree, but there are several games available at retail that more than cover that genre of game that Project Hammer was. They seem to play the exact same too. So its really a game that wasnt needed at all.

jj984jj

Tristam said:
Well there's the Zelda and NST teams. There's also Tokyo EAD (no complaints here, really; I don't expect them to announce something so soon) among other divisions within EAD and Retro Studios.
EAD Tokyo have been making Super Mario Galaxy and Retro just finished Metroid Prime 3.

Innotech

Banned
schuelma said:
Why can't we have both?

Didnt say we couldnt. Mario Galaxy and Brawl are still coming out. Metroid 3 still came out. Im not saying nintendo is abandoing hardcore gamers, rather they are putting heavier emphasis on the casual gamer and this opens a window of opportunity for third parties to sell their more traditional wares in between nongames. Obviously anything coming out near Galaxy and Brawl is gonna struggle to sell.

Tristam

jj984jj said:
EAD Tokyo have been making Super Mario Galaxy and Retro just finished Metroid Prime 3.

Hm? Surely you don't think that each team dedicates its full force for each respective title for the entire development process? At any rate, we know that Retro Studios has a new title in development (and judging by the comments, it wasn't just conceived last week), we just don't know what.

jj984jj

Tristam said:
Hm? Surely you don't think that each team dedicates its full force for each respective title for the entire development process? At any rate, we know that Retro Studios has a new title in development (and judging by the comments, it wasn't just conceived last week), we just don't know what.
Obviously not, but we're talking about specific teams in regards to EAD and Retro isn't big enough to have 2 full teams working on console development. Their new game won't be coming out soon, we won't hear about it for a while.

Tristam

jj984jj said:
Obviously not, but we're talking about specific teams in regards to EAD and Retro isn't big enough to have 2 full teams working on console development. Their new game won't be coming out soon, we won't hear about it for a while.

Oh, well, no argument there really. :D

.dmc

Banned
Innotech said:
I agree, but there are several games available at retail that more than cover that genre of game that Project Hammer was. They seem to play the exact same too. So its really a game that wasnt needed at all.

I'm totally on the underwhelmed-by-HAMMER bandwagon, but I'd be all for a 1500pt WiiWare download with a dozen/half-dozen short levels. Plus, it'd be generally positive for Nintendo to adopt that sort of attitude, to let games out there in even in short-form that weren't worth the risk of a big retail release.

Innotech

Banned
.dmc said:
I'm totally on the underwhelmed-by-HAMMER bandwagon, but I'd be all for a 1500pt WiiWare download with a dozen/half-dozen short levels. Plus, it'd be generally positive for Nintendo to adopt that sort of attitude, to let games out there in even in short-form that weren't worth the risk of a big retail release.
Well they still have Disaster Day of Crisis, which I was actually looking forward to trying out.
So all is not lost.

Thanks for the thread Neomoto. I literally got nothing done at work today because I was so excited reading and (arguing) on GAF. It was a great day for gamers, and Nintendo owners in particular.

Tenbatsu

This is no doubt the best conference of the year, lets see if the others can do anything better than this. The announcement of MH3 changes everything, at least to me.

I really don't get how Disaster looks bad.
Not perfect, or "OMG AWESOME!", but certainly not bad.
Yes, the car models are bland and jaggie, and that one guy on the ground is low poly, but a lot of the screens have AWESOME environmental detail, which in a game where the environment if probably always changing, it's a pretty big deal.
Plus, we haven't seen the new build in motion, which will help a lot of the problems (like most Nintendo games).

chris0701

Wii Fit : weight limit = 136 KG
:lol :lol :lol :lol

40+ training games included!!

20071011130404561166562.jpg

Awesome trailer for ToS 2. I saw a blurrier version before, but this one looks much nicer and definitely shows visual improvements over the GCN version.

Now that I think about it, there has GOTTA be a harddrive coming. If someone buys two or three wiiware games, 10-15 VC games, and a handful of game saves they're screwed.

Tenbatsu

underfooter said:
Now that I think about it, there has GOTTA be a harddrive coming. If someone buys two or three wiiware games, 10-15 VC games, and a handful of game saves they're screwed.

Its best if Nintendo announce that the Wii support any USB harddrive out there.

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
Well that backfired didn't it

Yes it did. I searched again and found it at the bottom of the page. Seems a blurry version was at TGS so no new topics on it I guess?

The music yay <3

I'll be the first to say I'll be really pissed if Brawl is delayed in NA.

I just know if they do that they will push Mario Kart until Q3 or Q4.

Mario is nice, but I bought a wii for Brawl. It was supposed to launch, how long does it really take?

Top Bottom