• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Nintendo conference summary - Score: 10/10

20215_n20071010_20_garaxy_04.jpg

...is that Luigi down at the bottom there?

ethelred

GDGF said:
Thank you so much for a making this thread!

Very concise. I guess we should have expected megatons after all! We got quite a few of them

We did? Quite a few? Really?

I only counted one new retail third party Wii game, one new first party game, two slightly notable third party downloadables, and confirmation of a demo service announced two years ago...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:

I only counted one new retail third party Wii game, one new first party game, two slightly notable third party downloadables, and confirmation of a demo service announced two years ago...

To be fair, it far exceeded expectations.

That said, I was very disappointed with the lack of new 1st party Wii efforts. Mario baseball ain't gonna cut it.

Considering I didn't think we were going to get aything 24 hours ago i'm quite satisfied. Frankly I have to laugh at the people who are disappointed with the amount of news they didn't know they were getting.

farnham said:
i think there is no point of argue that nintendo offers the best download service..

sure i would like to have great new games...

but that doesnt mean i shun all the NEogeo, Turbographix, SNES, Megadrive, NES and N64 games..

I missed many great games and its great that i can play them on wii.. and id rather do so then lets say... buy a new game like Geometry Wars (which is by far my favorite XBLA game)

So yeah VC alone trumps all download services (or is there anyother service that can provide games par to Super Metroid, Mario Bros. 2, Sin and Punishment and so on in a matter of weeks )

I think it depends on your history. Certainly if you never owned a SNES (like me) there's no question Virtual Console is the best download service available, but then a lot of people will just look at what the equate to being games they can download for free and therefore disregard them in terms of a XBLA/PSN comparison. I've heard several podcasts, I think the 1Up Yours PAX one in particular, where somebody said Wii's download service was terrible. Which really...I just don't get that viewpoint. I'd never played Super Metroid before it came to Virtual Console. Does the fact it's an old ROM stop it being the best game I've ever downloaded?

ksamedi

ethelred said:

I think its big because people didn't expect any of this. I agree with you though, the DS had a much better show than the Wii.

Apparently a remake of the very first Japan only NES Fire Emblem.
Didn't an SNES Fire Emblem (III?) contain a remake of the NES one as only part of the game? Do we know yet whether this contains the SNES stuff too, or if this is really just the NES content again?

mutsu

VerTiGo said:
The Wii itself launched earlier here afterall.

True, but for SSBB to launch in 2007 it needs to release one month ahead of Japan. If it can be released that soon, why does Nintendo need to push back SSBX in Japan until 2008-1-24? Doesn't compute.

I know people are trying to be optimistic, but don't hold your breath.

GDGF

Soothsayer
ksamedi said:
I think its big because people didn't expect any of this. I agree with you though, the DS had a much better show than the Wii.

Hell, I didn't think we were going to get anything of substance from the conference. I'm only catching up to everything just now. In that context it's a fucking world of megaton.

gabe90

mutsu said:
True, but for SSBB to launch in 2007 it needs to release one month ahead of Japan. If it can be released that soon, why does Nintendo need to push back SSBX in Japan until 2008-1-24? Doesn't compute.

Maybe they arent very worried about the Japanese market right now. They know that the Wii will completely rule, the 360 will fail, and the PS3 will do just ok.

In America, it's a bit different. Sure the Wii is rocking, but the 360 is pretty damn strong, and the PS3 could start to make a comeback with the lower prices. So they would want to be sure to have SSBB on the market for the US, and lots of copies.

Maybe. How long does it take to make tons of copies of a game? I mean, is it hard to make 4 million disks?

Japan is getting Wii Fit this year. Not to say the US will get Smash Bros to make up for it, but Nintendo probably wouldn't be able to cope with the demand for consoles due to Wii Fit from middle aged women and grandmas and Smash Bros for teenagers and angry gamers.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
JoshuaJSlone said:
Didn't an SNES Fire Emblem (III?) contain a remake of the NES one as only part of the game? Do we know yet whether this contains the SNES stuff too, or if this is really just the NES content again?
Yes it did. The game is said to be a remake of Fire Emblem 1 but we haven't heard anything about the Fire Emblem 3 part

mutsu

gabe90 said:
Maybe. How long does it take to make tons of copies of a game? I mean, is it hard to make 4 million disks?

It doesn't take long. But it does time to produce quality and close-to-bug-free software.

I am just glad that they are taking the time to polish it up. Remember that this is an online game, and I am sure that's where the extra time is spent - to make sure the experience is top notch. Plus all the extra time for balancing the game wouldn't hurt at all.

It's not like the game will suddenly not sell because it's not launched before/during the holiday season. It's going to sell regardless of what happens. Millions of them too.

mutsu said:

What is so hard to understand?

CAP_5288~Japan-Posters.jpg

+

wii_fit2.jpg

=

nuclear-explosion.jpg

I don't think releasing Brawl a few days prior is a good call. Do you?

I really don't see why you'd bother holding a US event in a world where the Japanese info is bound to have been reported on by the US press. I'm...I'm hoping for some new, cool things with this conference. Maybe nothing groundbreaking, but at least more on what we know.

Firestorm

gabe90 said:
Maybe they arent very worried about the Japanese market right now. They know that the Wii will completely rule, the 360 will fail, and the PS3 will do just ok.

In America, it's a bit different. Sure the Wii is rocking, but the 360 is pretty damn strong, and the PS3 could start to make a comeback with the lower prices. So they would want to be sure to have SSBB on the market for the US, and lots of copies.

BELIEVE
I want to.

mutsu

I know people want to play SSBB real soon, but there was once this argument where SMG and SSBB will be competing against each other in the holiday season.

I am sure this won't happen anymore now. SMG itself will make the Wii THE most sought after game console this holiday (if it's not already).]

So anyway, back on topic! Great conference :D Cannot wait until November when we start getting the Mii Contest Channel and Everybody's Nintendo Channel! Especially looking forward to the latter. DS demos FTW.

Where exactly are the Wii Ware games supposed to download to? It doesn't seem like 512 mb is enough for anything, and you can run shit off of memory cards so...

DXMachina said:
Where exactly are the Wii Ware games supposed to download to? It doesn't seem like 512 mb is enough for anything, and you can run shit off of memory cards so...

That's the big question. Surely Nintendo will have to support reading off SD cards. SURELY. Although the amount of time it takes to copy something over to a card with Wii makes me worried they've crippled it with a very slow read/write speed or something.

CrisKre

If you hear the conference transcript, the deal with SSBB is needed extra development time to bring all this content together. Iwata apologized for this fact. So yeah, pretty much i believe that means dec american release date will get pushed to jan or feb next year and debunks the notion of this being due to a crowded release schedule.

On the other hand not making it before christmas may hurt game sales over here, while in japan its new release date coincides with the shopping season, so there is a FAINT glimmer of hope. IMO.

mutsu

CrisKre said:
On the other hand not making it before christmas may hurt game sales over here, while in japan its new release date coincides with the shopping season, so there is a FAINT glimmer of hope. IMO.

It might only affect the initial sales of the game. There is no doubt that this game will continue to sell throughout pretty much the lifetime of the system.

Well, unless that development time is being spent translating Japanese in to Japanese, I don't see any reason for it to come out earlier in the US unless they're just lying to their own press.

Penguin

I wonder if US conference will have more info on American WiiWare games.

Cuz like two of the games they announced, don't seem like they would make a huge splash in the states.

Also wondering since Japan got Monster Hunter 3 info, if US conference will have like a special American type exclusive deal.

And though many would not be happy, maybe info on Red Steel 2 since was supposed to be in ONM and got pushed back.

Firestorm

It's already 6 PM... seems weird to do the thing so late? Did they get to play the games earlier but can't comment?

We need some confirmation from someone

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Penguin said:

Cuz like two of the games they announced, don't seem like they would make a huge splash in the states.

Also wondering since Japan got Monster Hunter 3 info, if US conference will have like a special American type exclusive deal.

And though many would not be happy, maybe info on Red Steel 2 since was supposed to be in ONM and got pushed back.

That's what I'm hoping for. Doesn't make much sense to me to make the U.S conference identical to the one the night before, but we'll see.

CTLance

So this is what I get for purging all Wii purchases off my "to buy" list in order to afford a 360. I got Nintendowned. Took them long enough, though.

Nonetheless: Sounds awesome! Can't wait to buy all of that; even if I need to go bankrupt.

Thanks to the OP for the thread and well-formatted post.

Great compilation thread. I missed out on the conference last night and its always a pain sorting those threads out to get information.

This conference may finally be able to push Wii and DS over PSP in weekly MC sales.

Avrum

I wonder...

...I just finished watching the keynote on another site and noticed something interesting regarding the ability of Wii owners to search for video trailers in that Nintendo for all channel. (the same channel that will allow for downloadable DS demos) I'm sure I heard it mentioned that Nintendo would like to see data in players' systems being used to allow users to see how many other people are playing the same games. Might be interesting to see if it could somehow be used as a basic way of gauging the sales of certain software titles if that goes through.

Avrum

Penguin said:

It would be great to see if some games that were never completed, having some limited development time to allow players to experience what could have been. Project HAMMER for example, and seeing a WiiWare adaptation of what the game was meant to be as a retail release.

quadriplegicjon said:
so.. do you think people will stop claiming that nintendo is killing gaming?
Heh. I'm usually not very psychic, but I'm getting a strange vibe. Perhaps a message given to me by the ghost of overreacting future...
Future GAFfer said:
What's up with Nintendo? They haven't had a gamer-centric press conference in over two months. I haven't developed object permanence, so without frequent reassurance that their core game development teams exist I believe they aren't there!

Top Bottom