• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Ragnarok spoiler thread

Kimawolf

So thought we should have this thread without black bars. First question is i take it mid credit scene is lead up to Infinity War?

Second... Odin told Thor that Asgard is where he and Hela get their power from. If that remains the people then wont Hela continue to be around?

I wasn't expecting it but the action was really well done, the opening battle with Surtur's army and the final battle when Thor powers up were two of the best action scenes in the MCU.

Kimawolf

I wasn't expecting it but the action was really well done, the opening battle with Surtur's army and the final battle when Thor powers up were two of the best action scenes in the MCU.

Yeah I like that Surtur got to fufill his destiny. I also liked how we didn't see Hela die. you saw a green puff of smoke and that was it. I imagine she fled.

Da-Kid

I'm really at odds with them completely destroying Asgard, like completely... I don't think Hela is dead. I feel like this was the first Thor movie that actually played Thor to be a God. The past moves were way more grounded. It actually felt like magic was being done, not "quantum science".

Though, they need to show Loki doing actual magic. Outside of his shape shifting, we've never actually seen Loki do a spell, or anything on Doctor Strange's level. Loki is suppose to be one of the most powerful sorcerer's in the universe.

It really sucks all the Valkeries are dead but I really loved Valkery in this movie.

trikster40

I was shocked that Thor lost an eye, they did a good job keeping that under wraps. Loved the humor, the Matt Damon cameo was great!

ptuck874

definitely up there as a really good marvel movie, went to 12 noon showing, theater was packed, going to make great money, dr strange cameo was really well done, the hulk talking as much as he did was really good, overall, a really good movie, had to leave to pee after 1st post credit scene, any after?

DonMigs85

If Fenris didn't fall off Asgard he'd be one of the strongest beings around.
Is he doomed to just float through space now?

HoodWinked

Gold Member
had to leave to pee after 1st post credit scene, any after?

ya there is one more with the grandmaster and its just a funny scene thats typical of the post-post credits scenes.

this is the best marvel movie imo and its not even close.

it did so many things right, the writing and jokes are so strong, hulk conversations were amazing, this movie had to cram so much exposition and yet they used such a variety of narrative devices that it was always interesting and never felt like an info dump. they even made good on the trailer which spoils Asgard being set on fire since it was much more unexpected than the trailer lead you to believe. even the 3D was excellent.

oh and holy shit Korg that guy was amazing, every time he was on screen just made you grin.

What an awesome fuckin movie for me. I laughed my ass off the whole time. And then when Thor went full god mode and the Immigrants song kicked in, I had adrenaline rockin' through my body just out of pure joy. A movie never did that for me in a long long time.

Man that ending, didn't expect them to actually destroy Asgard.

This was great. This and winter soldier would be the only mcu movies I would rewatch.

So the end credits scene, that's thanos' ship right?

longdi

Banned
I guess so that's thanos ship. Infinity war trailer opened with Thor floating in space, wondering if mcu have balls to kill off those survivors

quickwhips

The infinity gauntlet they stated was fake. But the tesseract was still their correct?

Also Thor vs hulk was awesome. When Chris threw the ball and got laid out was great also. I thought we saw Thor’s eye when he met the guardians. Does he get it back?

The infinity gauntlet they stated was fake. But the tesseract was still their correct?

Also Thor vs hulk was awesome.

I think the fake Infinity Gauntlet was an easter egg/explanation for those that noticed it in the first Thor film. The Tesseract was real though and presumeably given how they focused on Loki looking at it he took it with him before Asgard was destroyed and he will use it to bargain with Thanos while Thor gets blown out into space.

I forgot to say Thor trying the Black Widow trick on Hulk was hilarious.

DonMigs85

I guess so that's thanos ship. Infinity war trailer opened with Thor floating in space, wondering if mcu have balls to kill off those survivors

So assuming Valkyrie survives, she, Thor and the few who had migrated to Midgard will be the only known Asgardians left. (Loki is technically still a frost giant)

Kimawolf

No i imagine Thor buys the ship time to get to earth and confronts Thanos on his own. Telling Loki/Valkyrie to get their people to safety. It doesn't go well for Thor hence him floating in space.

G-Bus

Banned
Might be the first MCU film I have the urge to go see again in theater. Really enjoyed it.

Maybe a few times it felt like they tried a bit too hard with the comedy but for the most part it was great.

I'd really like to see Marvel go ahead and make a stand alone Hulk movie.

I really liked it. I Thought it was the best Thor movie yet but I started to get the feeling that it maybe had jumped the shark by the end and required EVERYTHING be a joke to the point where it seemed like a parody of itself.

Can someone tell me why in a movie full of special effects, the little grassy cliff where Odin dies look so damn fake? Good God, the blowing grass look so horrible.

Hobbesian

Banned
This is just a weird-ass movie. It was dope, but I'm really intrigued by how/why this project came together the way it did. It's so eclectic visually, sonically, thematically, tonally.

Shit's just fucking weird.

Like... some superhero, science-fiction/adventure amalgam set to the backdrop of a 70's buddy-cop flick with 80's visuals and soundscape aesthetic. Published by a corporation with a reputation for being too "safe" evidently.

This movie is fucking me up right now. Way more than Blade Runner did 2 weeks ago, actually.

Do you guys think they are gonna stick with Thor missing his eye?

Chris Hemsworth confirmed his eye is missing in IW.

The scene when he lands on the Bifrost with lightning lightning all over him, in the trailer he has both eyes. Also in the IW trailer shown at Comic Con he has both eyes and long hair.

I'm guessing that is why they haven't released the IW trailer yet. Man Marvel know what they are doing. Then you get DC who keep sending mixed messages of what direction their CU is heading.

What was the item after the fake Infinity Gauntlet? I thought it was the tesseract, but it wasn't.

I believe it's a device that harnesses the Tesseract's power used at the end of Avengers to transport.

Or it was the thing that first revealed Loki to be as a frost giant from the first Thor movie and what the Frost Giants were after to gain more power.

longdi

Banned
I realised this film has the highest body count in mcu yet. Would love to see a cut with added deadpool blood effect.

Movie was alright. I enjoyed the Planet Hulk stuff a lot, but there wasn't nearly enough of it. Lot of potential for cool stuff there but it only makes up a single Act of the movie.

Also, I feel like I've reached the point of exhaustion with these CG action sequences. Technically, they look 1000x better than the infamous fight scene in Matrix Reloaded, but I'm starting to feel like I'm watching that scene over and over in every comic book movie now.

This is just a weird-ass movie. It was dope, but I'm really intrigued by how/why this project came together the way it did. It's so eclectic visually, sonically, thematically, tonally.

Shit's just fucking weird.

Like... some superhero, science-fiction/adventure amalgam set to the backdrop of a 70's buddy-cop flick with 80's visuals and soundscape aesthetic. Published by a corporation with a reputation for being too "safe" evidently.

This movie is fucking me up right now. Way more than Blade Runner did 2 weeks ago, actually.
Chris Hemsworth said that after Dark World they took a hard look at everything and realized they didn't like what they'd produced there.

So I think the idea was to run in the complete opposite direction with everything they did in Dark World and here we are.

Is it fair to say Thor was on the verge of winning that fight with Hulk?

I enjoyed the lighter tone of the film and generally had a much better time with it than something like GOTG2 which is about the closest tonal comparison, which seems to be highly regarded but I wasn't that enthralled with.

Kimawolf

I enjoyed the lighter tone of the film and generally had a much better time with it than something like GOTG2 which is about the closest tonal comparison, which seems to be highly regarded but I wasn't that enthralled with.
He would had won. They made it clear God of Thunder Thor was extremely powerful.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
isn't the grandmaster suppose to be a super genius with an encyclopedic knowledge of game theory and games of luck and chance across the marvel multiverse

they seemed to forget that

Classic comic book fight between two heroes where neither actually wins.

But yeah, really seemed like Hulk was no match for Thor.

Donos

Can someone tell me why in a movie full of special effects, the little grassy cliff where Odin dies look so damn fake? Good God, the blowing grass look so horrible.

Yeah, and the very first moment you see Odin from behind, it looked like he had no feet / was hovering above the grass. Entry of Goth Blanchett shortly after, makes up for it though. Such a special face that woman has...

I think it was for the 3D effect. It was actually very soothing in 3D, different depth layers of grass. Too bad it fucked it up for 2D.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The whole movie is a joke, very lighthearted despite Thor going blind

That was the only criticism I have. Every single thing was a joke. Even Banner talking about if he turns into the Hulk again, he may never be able to turn back. That is pretty deep stuff, but it was treated like an intro to a punchline.

Hobbesian

Banned
I was a bit put-off by the fact that Tessa Thompson was the only dark-skinned Valkyrie in that otherwise fantastic flashback imagery - someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

That really took me out of the scene, especially when the modern western interpretation of that angelic aesthetic = white is purity and goodness. I couldn't pay attention to what was happening in the scene because all I kept doing was scanning the chaos for another minority to no avail, so her character failing totally flopped for me at the end.

He would had won. They made it clear God of Thunder Thor was extremely powerful.

Definitely felt that way, although to be fair Hulk walked off everything he got hit with before Grandmaster interfered.

Thor has had his awakening to power moment in this one and I feel we're still waiting for Hulk to have his. He's only been seen generically angry, never having either the challenge or the motivation to show off much of his madder=stronger dynamic. Not to mention his insane healing factor has not been highlighted at all, if only because no-one has hurt him enough to really need it. If Hela had cut his eye out, Hulk would have regrown a new one in seconds.

I suspect we're gonna see something in the upcoming Infinity movies that brings that out.

I was a bit put-off by the fact that Tessa Thompson was the only dark-skinned Valkyrie in that otherwise fantastic flashback imagery - someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

That really took me out of the scene, especially when the modern western interpretation of that angelic aesthetic = white is purity and goodness. I couldn't pay attention to what was happening in the scene because all I kept doing was scanning the chaos for another minority to no avail, so her character failing totally flopped for me at the end.
At what number would it become acceptable? Did you consider that maybe that was by design to highlight Tessa since she's the only one important to this story?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads

the "white as purity" concept was developed during the early days of Christian antiquity and have nothing to do with modern concepts of race or whiteness

Top Bottom