• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ PR figure talks about reaction to CPU claim, but developer concern remains

StevieP

Banned
Dumbo I will try to be helpful and tell you to edit those numbers out immediately before a mod sees them. There's a reason there's stars over your site description.

lherre - are you basing your predictions on the "final specs" sheets or the kits you have? Because the kits are using way different hardware (and way beefier CPUs than the final systems will have) as far as what little information I know.

As things are going in term of sales for the PS3 in Japan, I'm not so sure (for Japan).

Japan is a completely different world. Almost everything will be on 3DS over there, with the occasional ps3/wii u game. Stuff like MGS, FF, and RE will be on ps4/720 though.

OK so ...

ports from 360/ps3 -> different aproach because cpu is slower

now

Port from ps4/xbox next where all the components are above wii u's cpu-gpu by a big margin?

I'm really bored about all this threads to be honest. My 2 cents (and it's only my personal opinion) is that we will have ...

- ps4/xbox next/pc
- Wii U/ps3/x360

Ports from ps4/xbox next will be a few.

I think ps3 and x360 will live more than we think.

So my 2 cents here, not more not less :p

Agreed, this seems the most logical.

DarkPanda

It may not be a concern in mine or your part of the world, but it is where the console was designed.

Is it? I've been trying to figure out why Nintendo has a weird obsession with power consumption lately; is it really just a Japanese thing? Do they really care that much about how much power their devices draw?

Azih

In terms of overall performance from power consumed, that's rather impressive
And really, with the inevitable future energy crisis coming, isn't this the only metric that really matters?

We'll see who's laughing when the WiiU can game for three times longer on the meager daily electricity ration that we will get compared to your fancy NEXTBOXSTATION power hogs. True Future proofing from Nintendo.

Is it? I've been trying to figure out why Nintendo has a weird obsession with power consumption lately; is it really just a Japanese thing? Do they really care that much about how much power their devices draw?

No. It's about making things as cheap as possible to produce. Anyone telling you otherwise is bullshitting.

OK so ...

now

Port from ps4/xbox next where all the components are above wii u's cpu-gpu by a big margin?

I'm really bored about all this threads to be honest. My 2 cents (and it's only my personal opinion) is that we will have ...

- ps4/xbox next/pc
- Wii U/ps3/x360

Sounds about right, and lherre is a dev, I think.

StevieP

Banned
No. It's about making things as cheap as possible to produce. Anyone telling you otherwise is bullshitting.

Wrong.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/world/asia/29electricity.html?_r=0
http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/has-saving-energy-become-the-new-normal-in-tokyo/

NY Times said:
Last year, Norimitsu Onishi of The New York Times reported on individual efforts to reduce power usage in a country that, though long obsessed with energy conservation, was forced to become even more efficient.

This push has been going on for a lot longer than a couple years.

Those who live in Japan can actually vouch for this as well. Small places to live, small consoles, handhelds being the primary gaming device for many... these things are not made up or bullshit.

Really? I can't imagine it was particularly cheap to bring the system in at such a low power draw - surely it would have been cheaper to produce a 360-sized system with approximately the same grunt?

Meelow

Banned
This reminds me of when in 2006 when devs said the PS3 hardware was "slow and broken" This is like the same situation lol.

This reminds me of when in 2006 when devs said the PS3 hardware was "slow and broken" This is like the same situation lol.

Outside of the CELL, the ps3 is slow and broken.

Really? I can't imagine it was particularly cheap to bring the system in at such a low power draw - surely it would have been cheaper to produce a 360-sized system with approximately the same grunt?

They would need a bigger power supply and more expensive cooling.

Do you think the 360 and ps3 slims are more expensive to make than the launch versions?

Thanks for linking to these useless articles.

Azih

Only that was compared to a year older 360, this is compared to the six and seven year old PS3 and 360. This is eons in tech terms. And really devs had to start developing with PS3 in mind from the start to get around PS3 limitations as initial 360 ports were terribad.

Wrong.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/world/asia/29electricity.html?_r=0
http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/has-saving-energy-become-the-new-normal-in-tokyo/

This push has been going on for a lot longer than a couple years.

Those who live in Japan can actually vouch for this as well. Small places to live, small consoles, handhelds being the primary gaming device for many... these things are not made up or bullshit.
I hear ya on the energy conservation end, so why is it that Sony doesn't give a damn about the Japanese energy concerns?

Meelow

Banned
Only that was compared to a year older 360, this is compared to the 6 and 7 year old PS3 and 360. And really devs had to start developing with PS3 in mind from the start to get around PS3 limitations as initial 360 ports were terribad.

So this is pretty much the same situation, Wii U is PS3 2 Lol.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

So what you're really saying is that the Wii U requires extra effort, care and development to reach it's potential, and all that hokem about the Wii U being developed the way it was to help the industry reduce development costs was just that, hokem?

Cool, got it.

It does seem very similar (right down to the defensiveness of fans - and of the detractors too, I'd add).

I would hope for Nintendo's sake that the way they've gone with their architecture isn't as much of a struggle for devs as the PS3's was initially (and as it remains, based on my limited understanding of the situation). That devs are able to produce games using mature engines that are close to - if lacking in certain areas - the same titles running on the PS3/360 where they have years of experience and mature toolchains on day one is both good and bad. Good in that it suggests that in spite of the issues with architecture and support the machine has enough grunt to sit broadly level in spite of the differences in tech, which bodes well for second-gen and beyond; bad, in that if it had a really good bit of power more than the 360/PS3, day-one ports should look and run better in spite of the issues.

Nintendo have a very limited window here to fix whatever issues they can fix and get their and third-party titles singing on the machine before their competitors roll in. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Meelow

Banned
So what you're really saying is that the Wii U requires extra effort, care and development to reach it's potential, and all that hokem about the Wii U being developed the way it was to help the industry reduce development costs was just that, hokem?

Cool, got it.

No, I'm saying if devs don't know how to work with the CPU Nintendo will have to have to help them out, I 100% believe the CPU is slow.

It does seem very similar (right down to the defensiveness of fans - and of the detractors too, I'd add).

I would hope for Nintendo's sake that the way they've gone with their architecture isn't as much of a struggle for devs as the PS3's was initially (and as it remains, based on my limited understanding of the situation). That devs are able to produce games using mature engines that are close to - if lacking in certain areas - the same titles running on the PS3/360 where they have years of experience and mature toolchains on day one is both good and bad. Good in that it suggests that in spite of the issues with architecture and support the machine has enough grunt to sit broadly level in spite of the differences in tech, which bodes well for second-gen and beyond; bad, in that if it had a really good bit of power more than the 360/PS3, day-one ports should look and run better in spite of the issues.

Nintendo have a very limited window here to fix whatever issues they can fix and get their and third-party titles singing on the machine before their competitors roll in. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I agree.

Brera

Banned
Zelda oot gave me one of the best gaming experiences of my life and the hardware it was on at the time was not as cutting edge as the competition....i would love to see what they come up with on that hardware

People need to stop concerning themselves with the specs and look at the games that nintendo are capable of...they now have the hardware to do some mindblowing things
i could not care less if the games look like uncharted or minecraft

The N64 was a powerhouse at the time of OoT....

Azih

Man it would have been the PS3 2 if it was released in 2007. In 2012? I don't know if there *is* an analogy for this situation.

It's more like Wii TO THE EXTREME. We didn't give a shit about power then and we REALLY don't now. It's all about the waggle and controller tablet baby!

radcliff

OK so ...

now

- ps4/xbox next/pc
- Wii U/ps3/x360

But will the Wii U even get PS3/X360 ports if its architecture is vastly different from the other 2? It seems Nintendo wanted to "future proof" the system by giving it what they believed would be the architecture of the next PS/MS machines at the expense of easy PS3/X360 ports. In theory, they would get choice PS3/X360 games while they were the primary consoles for Sony and MS, and then downports of the PS4/XBOX 3 games. But now it seems the system is not ideally designed for PS3/X360 games and may be too underpowered for PS4/XBOX 3 games, which would really put Nintendo in a bad situation 3rd party wise.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah what the fuck. And the GameCube was roughly on par with other consoles of its time. It's only fairly recently that Nintendo stopped trying to stay current, hardware/specs wise.
The Gamecube was a powerhouse too. A lot of great tech stuffed into a well priced purple lunchbox.

Really deserved better.

What crow?

This is a THQ PR figure, not the guy who made the comment.

I was getting lambasted by all of GAF for the mere suggestion that calling the CPU "horrible" might be an over reaction.

Now we know that the Metro dev outrage is unwarranted and they just need more staffing.

Meelow

Banned
Yeah what the fuck. And the GameCube was roughly on par with other consoles of its time. It's only fairly recently that Nintendo stopped trying to stay current, hardware/specs wise.

Not that I disagree with you but it seems to be working well for Nintendo.

I was getting lambasted by all of GAF for the mere suggestion that calling the CPU "horrible" might be an over reaction.

This guy is a PR guy, not a developer who is probably trying to calm the situation down after basically one of his developers pretty much attacked Nintendo's brand new console. And like nirolak just said he still says the CPU isn't great.

Their last two years don't seem to agree with this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Okay, even the THQ guy says it's slow:

Eurogamer said:
"It's a very CPU intensive game. I think it's been verified by plenty of other sources, including your own Digital Foundry guys, that the CPU on Wii U on the face of it isn't as fast as some of the other consoles out there.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Herpdy Derp specs and shit.

I honestly don't see how the "bleeding edge" model for next gen is sustainable especially with development costs and time increasing. I have a feeling that those companies that choose to strictly develop for PS4/Xbox/PC will find themselves hard pressed to sell enough copies to justify the price and time. If they do, the games will be streamlined to the least common denominator, which means very little innovation, very little risk, and very little diversity.

I'm more appealed to a gaming culture that allows (and largely accepts) a broad range of play styles and accommodates fully developed niche titles (ZombiU being a prime example). No way that game would have ever been released as is (from a design standpoint) for the next Xbox and PS4 and not bombed completely.

I'll keep upgrading my PC at 100-200$ increments to play "next-gen" titles.

The Gamecube was a powerhouse too. A lot of great tech stuffed into a well priced purple lunchbox.

Really deserved better.

Didn't get third party support despite this extra power.
Although Capcom tried (before its shareholders coughed).

Brilliant system though.

Okay, even the THQ guy says it's slow:

The implication is that it was so bad, they couldn't even develop the next Metro for it.

And now we get the damage control:

"It's certainly possible, and it's something we thought we'd like to do. The reality is that would mean a dedicated team, dedicated time and effort, and it would either result in a detriment to what we're trying to focus on, already adding a PlayStation 3 SKU, or we probably wouldn't be able to do the Wii U version the justice that we'd want."
So the developer simply doesn't have the resources to make a serviceable attempt yet.

A far cry from just blaming it on the CPU.

Azih

I think the challenge with the Wii has been third party support. Let's see how the WiiU does in terms of third party support, but honestly I think it's going to do pretty badly. Third parties need to be able to get their games on all systems easily while keeping the performance roughly similar. Does the WiiU allow them to do this with either the old generation or the next?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Ever since the DS and Wii. The first consoles after Iwata became president.

I don't know why Iwata hates good current hardware/specs that badly, but eh... at least he gave us some unique consoles & games and he helped in making the video game market more casual(not sure everyone appreciates that part though).

Herpdy Derp specs and shit.

I honestly don't see how the "bleeding edge" model for next gen is sustainable especially with development costs and time increasing. I have a feeling that those companies that choose to strictly develop for PS4/Xbox/PC will find themselves hard pressed to sell enough copies to justify the price and time. If they do, the games will be streamlined to the least common denominator, which means very little innovation, very little risk, and very little diversity.

I'm more appealed to a gaming culture that allows (and largely accepts) a broad range of play styles and accommodates fully developed niche titles (ZombiU being a prime example). No way that game would have ever been released as is for the next Xbox and PS4 and not bombed completely.

Wii U is just as if not a little bit more powerful than the current consoles. There is still a huge risk in developing for Wii U. Nintendo didn't make game development costs go down at all. In fact, with developers having to completely retool their development for the Wii U's different architecture games will actually get more expensive.
Ever since the DS and Wii.

The DS is a very bad example as is any Nintendo handheld. Nintendo handhelds have NEVER been at the cutting edge and always were conservative. FFS it took them a long ass time just to add color. DS was actually ahead of the curve launching only 3 years after the GBA. The 3DS is also along the lines of a usual Nintendo handheld except the 3D drains the battery.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Now we know that the Metro dev outrage is unwarranted and they just need more staffing.

Except the THQ PR Guy and the dev said effectively the same thing, just the PR guy was a little more diplomatic.

I'd suggest you keep the crow on ice if I was you.

Meelow

Banned
I think the challenge with the Wii has been third party support. Let's see how the WiiU does in terms of third party support, but honestly I think it's going to do pretty badly. Third parties need to be able to get their games on all systems easily while keeping the performance roughly similar. Does the WiiU allow them to do this with either the old generation or the next?

I think the Wii U will do much better then Wii third party wise, the Wii U is very indie friendly, Nintendo is huge in Japan right now which will help the Japanese third party support, the Wii U launch third party wise is already a huge step up from the Wii.

Ever since the DS and Wii. The first consoles after Iwata became president.

I don't know why Iwata hates good current hardware/specs that badly, but eh... at least he gave us some unique consoles & games and he helped in making the video game market more casual(not sure everyone appreciates that part though).

The DS was a huge step up from the GBA, I'd say it's like a SNES to N64 jump.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The implication is that it was so bad, they couldn't even develop the next Metro for it.

And now we get the damage control:

So the developer simply doesn't have the resources to make a serviceable attempt yet.

A far cry from just blaming it on the CPU.

I don't see how this disagrees with his original statement:

“[The] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU,” explained Shishkovtsov. “We had an early look at it, we thought we could probably do it, but in terms of the impact we would make on the overall quality of the game – potentially to its detriment – we just figured it wasn’t worth pursuing at this time. It’s something we might return to. I really couldn’t make any promises, though.”

Despite Nintendo’s console offering Metro: Last Light new experiences to its players with it dual screens, when asked Shishkovtsov was adamant that the Wii U would ever seen Metro: Last Light when asked directly.

“We had an initial look at the Wii U, but given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition.”

1.) They say they thought they could do it, though it might impact the quality of the game. I'm not clear on if he meant the entire game on every platform or the port.
2.) He said they were still considering returning to it.
3.) He said it wasn't worth the time due to their team size.

Which of these contradicts the OP?

Top Bottom