• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of 90's action movies *BOOOOM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie9IGN

So on rewatching Executive Decision, I've come to the conclusion that the 90's were fucking incredible for action movies. So many amazing shootouts, crazy stunts and hot chicks. Just look at this list

My faves:
Air Force One: Harrison Ford as a terrorist-killing president? I'll board that plane!
Armageddon: Sure it has its corny love moments but it's a goddamned asteroid heading towards Earth that only Bruce Willis can stop!
Assassins: Antonio Banderas and Sylvester Stallone play off each other quite well
Bad Boys: Dumb fun but Will Smith and Martin Lawrence really steal the screen with their chemistry
Batman Forever: Yeah alright this pretty much sucks but it was the first movie I ever saw in theaters so it holds sentimental value :lol
Batman Returns: Creepy ass Penguin (complete with rubber duckie boat/tank and penguin soldier things), hot Catwoman, plus Walken thrown in the mix!
Broken Arrow: John Woo + Crazy Travolta is a combination that always works, as seen later in the list
Clear & Present Danger: The alley shootout in Columbia is amazing
Cliffhanger: One of the best opening scenes ever
Con-Air: Redneck Nicholas Cage is just tryin to get home and see his honey bunny, but mean John Malkovich, useless Dave Chappelle and psycho Steve Buscemi won't let him!
Desperado: Antonio Banderas is wooping ass and banging Selma Hayek
Die Harder: Not the best out of the 4 but John McClane must hate Christmas by now
Die Hard 3 With A Vengeance: The first DH I saw is also my favorite (tied with DH1) just cause of Samuel L Jackson and Jeremy Irons
Double Impact: Double your Van Damme, double your fun
Drunken Master II: THE Jackie Chan martial arts movie of all time
Eraser: 2 reasons...Arnold with railguns and "You're luggage"
Executive Decision: I'm still watching it right now. Cool villain, John Leguizamo's one-liners, Kurt Russell and Steven Seagal is dead already. Plus Halle Berry is still foine
Face/Off: John Woo + Crazy Travolta is all great but throw in Crazy Nicholas Cage and you have a masterpiece
The Fifth Element: Bruce Willis is a pissed off space taxi driver with a hot alien and Chris Tucker being more annoying than you could ever think was possible
The Fugitive: Harrison Ford vs Tommy Lee Jones vs a one-armed man "I didn't do it!" "I don't care!" *fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu jump*
GoldenEye: Best Bond movie in yeeeeeeears followed by the best FPS of the 90's. Must've watched this on VHS over 80 times as a kid
Hard Boiled: My favorite John Woo film has Chow Yun Fat double fisting it up all around Hong Kong
Heat: Best shootout in modern film, not to mention Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, and Val Kilmer <3
Independence Day: Ugly ass aliens, "Welcome to Earth" and the most inspiring speech given by a president
The Jackal: Richard Gere is just trying to make things right but Bruce Willis is being an asshole and trying to kill everyone
Last Action Hero: Arnold mindfucks everyone and plays a fictional action hero
Léon: That one Portman lover's first wet dream and psycho Gary Oldman + professional (no pun intended) Jean Reno all ending with an epic shootout
Lethal Weapon 4: Crazy Mel, Too-Old-For-This-Shit Glover, Annoying Pesci and Funny Chris Rock vs. pissed off Jet Li
The Man In The Iron Mask: Not really action but I'm a sucker for finales like the shootout at the end
The Mask of Zorro: Antonio Banderas is perfect as Zorro, Catherine Zeta-Jones is always foine and Anthony Hopkins plays an old man better than most old men can
The Matrix: Whoa
Mission: Impossible: Every kid wanted to do that rappelling through the lasers shit
Mortal Kombat: Best theme song ever
Patriot Games: Best installment of the John Ryan series because of Harrison Ford and especially Sean Bean
Ronin: Pretty neat film with Robert De Niro, Jean Reno, and Sean Bean as mercenaries
Saving Private Ryan: More serious than the other movies on this list, nevertheless the battles are breath-taking
Speed: I still get sad when Jeff Daniels blows up ):
Speed 2: Crazy Willem Defoe ftw
Terminator 2 Judgement Day: Fucking amazing, Arnold and Cameron at their best
Tomorrow Never Dies: I love the intro, so sue me
True Lies: One of my absolute favorite Arnold films, my mom and I would watch this together all the time
US Marshals: Poor Wesley Snipes is framed and Tommy Lee Jones still won't believe that big name actors won't kill people
Under Siege: Steven Seagal is pissed that crazy Tommy Lee Jones just hijacked his plane

This list is by no means complete, and movies like Passenger 57 have been left out because I uh....haven't seen them yet SORRY SORRY

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Omissions from your list. And "The Patriot" was 2000.

200px-Demolition_man.jpg
200px-Fight_Club_poster.jpg

200px-Passenger_fifty_seven.jpg

No discussion about 90s action movies is complete without this underrated gem:

i-656.jpg

It is so over the top crazy, its insane and amazing.
Only in this movie will you see samurai sword fights AND Brandon Lee complimenting Dolph Lundgren on his penis

Ronin

KingHenrik30 said:
No discussion about 90s action movies is complete without this underrated gem:

i-656.jpg

It is so over the top crazy, its insane and amazing.
Only in this movie will you see samurai sword fights AND Brandon Lee complimenting Dolph Lundgren on his penis
The ending. Oh my lord the ending!

Marvie_3

Banned
Penguin said:
I could be mistaken, but think the 80s was slightly better, but still some awesome times.
The 80s were better, but as you said, the 90s still had some awesome action flicks.

Blader

The Matrix is one of my favorite movies, Saving Private Ryan is my favorite Spielberg film, Die Hard with a Vengeance is a lot of fun (and holds sentimental value for me, being the first Die Hard I saw), and Independence Day is one of my favorite guilty pleasures.

Good stuff.

edit - oh yes, Goldeneye too.

Clockblockers said:
You missed a BIG one in my opinion

The_Rock_%28movie%29.jpg

Damn,

Michael Bay's best movie, imo :p

I like Enemy of the State

200px-Enemy_of_the_State.jpg

The 90's was also the time when my mom use to love to rent action movies, so thats how I saw a lot of those movies. Her taste in movies has completely changed in the last decade :lol

SpacLock

Oh, and I know that it's not nearly as good as the first, or as good as any of the movies you posted up there for that matter, but Predator 2 does deserve a mention here.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
DrForester said:
Losers always whine about Michael Bay. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen!

Hehe, I love The Rock - just messing :p

jett

D-Member
T2 is the best action film of all-time. At this point I doubt it will ever be topped.

Penguin said:
I could be mistaken, but think the 80s was slightly better, but still some awesome times.

Yeah overall you can't beat the 80s for manly action movies.

jambo

Boogie9IGN said:
Tomorrow Never Dies: I love the intro, so sue me
I'm just watching the intro now and one thing I never picked up on before is really starting to annoy me.

When they say they can't remotely destroy the cruise missile because it is out of range, both the ship and the MI5 have a video feed coming from the missile. How can they get a video feed but not be able to send a simple remote detonation command?!

MetalAlien

Banned
SpacLock said:
Oh, and I know that it's not nearly as good as the first, or as good as any of the movies you posted up there for that matter, but Predator 2 does deserve a mention here.

Balls to the wall for the entire movie.

Uh, don't know if I would call Saving Private Ryan an 'action' movie so to speak. Yes, there is a lot of action, but its a hard hitting war drama more than anything.

MedHead

Clockblockers said:
You missed a BIG one in my opinion

The_Rock_%28movie%29.jpg
After so many people on this board wrote great review about this movie, I finally watched it earlier this year. The Rock is awful. There is barely anything worthwhile in this film. I regret ever watching it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
MedHead said:
After so many people on this board wrote great review about this movie, I finally watched it earlier this year. The Rock is awful. There is barely anything worthwhile in this film. I regret ever watching it.

Backpacks_thrown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom