• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of 90's action movies *BOOOOM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.beers

Hudson Hawk yall

Darwin Mayflower: I'll kill your friends, your family, and the bitch you took to the prom!

Hudson Hawk: Betty Jo Byarski? I can get you an address on that, if you want.

Hudson Hawk: If the Mario brothers weren't New Jersey's third-largest crime family, I'd say, "Kiss my ass." But considering your status, I will say, "Slurp my butt."

Edit:

Tommy Five-Tone: That doughnut-hole-eating, son-of-a-bitch, take-it-in-the-ear-for-a-beer, rat bastard!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Fifth Element was awesome, somehow more awesome than it should have been.

oracrest

terminator21.jpg

Boogie9IGN

Ok I totally fucked up with not listing The Rock. In fact, that plus Executive Decision was the whole reason I even thought of making this thread :lol

I have to say it's probably my favorite action movie of the 90s. I remember my parents not letting me watch it but they went out one night, we had HBO, and the rest is history. They came home halfway through and said "Well, you've gone this far, may as well finish it"

Sean Connery is amazing, Nicholas Cage is a perfect newb, and Ed Harris is very likeable. I remember I couldn't stop saying 'Ill take pleasure in guttin you....boooooy" for ages :lol

Adding on to Executive Decision, I can now pinpoint the moment where I became afraid of sitting next to window seats in a plane. Fuck that

I did list Drunken Master II in there!
Regarding The Patriot, that list I linked to lied to me and said it was a 90's movie ):
Yeah, Saving Private Ryan isn't really action but it was on the wiki list so that's the only reason it's up there too. I don't think action movies are supposed to make you cry
Alphahawk...RAILGUNS man, RAILGUNS

And lots of the movies you guys are posting about me not having on the list...I sadly haven't watched them! I'll take your suggestions though and add them to my Netflix immediately, starting with Passenger 57

SpacLock said:
TOTAL RECALL

I can't believe you missed it.
:lol First thing i thought of too.

There are some great suggestions here but overall the 80's was better for action.
Lets hope The Expendables helps regain the awsomeness of that era's action films.

Hard To Kill
Out For Justice
I know Under Siege was mentioned in the OP, but Seagal doesn't get enough love for his early films, they're fucking bad-ass.

Brashnir

Boogie9IGN said:
Ok I totally fucked up with not listing The Rock. In fact, that plus Executive Decision was the whole reason I even thought of making this thread :lol

I have to say it's probably my favorite action movie of the 90s. I remember my parents not letting me watch it but they went out one night, we had HBO, and the rest is history. They came home halfway through and said "Well, you've gone this far, may as well finish it"

Sean Connery is amazing, Nicholas Cage is a perfect newb, and Ed Harris is very likeable. I remember I couldn't stop saying 'Ill take pleasure in guttin you....boooooy" for ages :lol

Adding on to Executive Decision, I can now pinpoint the moment where I became afraid of sitting next to window seats in a plane. Fuck that

I did list Drunken Master II in there!
Regarding The Patriot, that list I linked to lied to me and said it was a 90's movie ):
Yeah, Saving Private Ryan isn't really action but it was on the wiki list so that's the only reason it's up there too. I don't think action movies are supposed to make you cry
Alphahawk...RAILGUNS man, RAILGUNS

And lots of the movies you guys are posting about me not having on the list...I sadly haven't watched them! I'll take your suggestions though and add them to my Netflix immediately, starting with Passenger 57

I don't know how I missed it. I even looked under D and L. my bad.

Bleepey

imgRush%20Hour2.jpg

Shame on you. Shame on you all. Whilst we are at it throw in Police Story 3 and 4. Rumble in the Bronx, Who am I and Mr Nice Guy

CTLance

Mmmmmh, 80's&90's. That's when all the good stuff was made.

I just realized my PAL PS3 can't play 60% of my DVDs thanks to region codes. FUUUU.
BRB watching True Lies in the basement.

pootle

I think it's fair to assume almost everybody who reads this thread will have seen every movie in it multiple times. That thought makes me very happy.:D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone uh, catch any of these 'gems' ?
51yh43jm94lsl500aa300.jpg

A lot of my late teen years, I ended up stumbling on the entire Andy Sidaris body of work. Yep...90s ahoy! He also did some earlier stuff but it seemed to come into its own in the 90s.

Every movie I would possibly name-drop got name-dropped.

It is mentally, psychologically, and physically impossible for me to ever get tired of The Fifth Element. Fake stealth edit: I also love the Eric Serra song at the end of the movie because it is unbelievably so '90s-sounding, it hurts.

Edit:

^ Speaking of Judge Dredd, lately I've been on such a "Dredd Song" by The Cure kick. Depresses the heck out of me, though. :/

Gooster said:
Every movie I would possibly name-drop got name-dropped.

It is mentally, psychologically, and physically impossible for me to ever get tired of The Fifth Element.

Edit:

Speaking of Judge Dredd, lately I've been on such a "Dredd Song" by The Cure kick. Depresses the heck out of me, though. :/

Bold is so true. Along w/ True Lies as well.

BattleMonkey said:
Sad that a 2000-10 action movie thread will be so tiny in comparison. 90's was end of an era

I imagine it's because 2000-10 was dominated by every attempt at a big-name comic book movie from X-Men to The Dark Knight, along with the fantasy kick with Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter films, Narnia, etc. Could be wrong, though.

jmdajr said:
is the Last boy scout on that list?

does The Crow count?

WARNING: REALLY nerdy observation about The Last Boy Scout:

There's a line if I remember the movie where Bruce Willis is driving a car super fast, and Damon Wayans tells him to slow down or "We'll go back in time." That line made it into the original Die Hard Trilogy game for PS1 in the Die Hard with a Vengeance driving game spoken by the actor who's supposed to be Samuel Jackson/Zeus. I thought that was some random shit there and can't believe I would recognize such a throwaway line.

And man, The Crow is an awesome '90s movie, period.

Penguin

BattleMonkey said:
Sad that a 2000-10 action movie thread will be so tiny in comparison. 90's was end of an era

I also think the action movie became the action video games.

Why watch it, when you can "live" it

Gooster said:
WARNING: REALLY nerdy observation about The Last Boy Scout:

There's a line if I remember the movie where Bruce Willis is driving a car super fast, and Damon Wayans tells him to slow down or "We'll go back in time." That line made it into the original Die Hard Trilogy game for PS1 in the Die Hard with a Vengeance driving game spoken by the actor who's supposed to be Samuel Jackson/Zeus. I thought that was some random shit there and can't believe I would recognize such a throwaway line.

Great observation I'll lookout for it next time. :D

Gomu Gomu

AMAZING OP :lol . I've seen, and loved, most of the movies on the list. I still haven't seen HEAT. Although I have it right now. I guess I know what DVD I'll be watching tonight :D .

FYE always has like a bin of $5 DVDs and actually snagged The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger a few years back. I have yet to open them and I have not seen any of these movies since I was a kid.

It's funny how as a geek I should hate Batman Forever because it is, for the most part, a lousy Batman movie ("It's BOILING aciiiiiiiiiiiiddddddd!!!!!"), but I always have some nostalgic soft spot for it because I saw it in a movie theater when I was 10 with my father. At least I didn't drag him to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie. Plus, I love "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me," even if it got a Razzie nomination for Worst Song. :lol

Bleepey

BattleMonkey said:

What we lack in action films we make up in spades with comic book films.

Penguin

GitarooMan said:
True Lies is the best action movie of the 90s (where is the Blu-ray?)

Just watched that today on Netflix with a friend for our movie marathon for the Expendables.

So good.

I had this period in my adolescence where I didn't like True Lies after loving it as a kid because it seemed like such a cheesy action movie compared to other action movies I'd seen until I grew up and realized that was kind of the point.

Remember when 20th Century Fox used to do super duper Five-Star Collection DVDs for movies like Independence Day, Speed, The French Connection, and The Sound of Music? To this day I hold a grudge against them for never doing a True Lies Five-Star DVD...

Frillen

MedHead said:
After so many people on this board wrote great review about this movie, I finally watched it earlier this year. The Rock is awful. There is barely anything worthwhile in this film. I regret ever watching it.

I hate you and I want you to kill yourself.

Bleepey

We should list movies of each of the cast to prepare us for the Expendables.

Stalone
Demolition Man

Schwarzenneger
Commando

Statham
Crank 1 + 2

Jet Li
Once Upon a Time in China 1-3

Lundgren
Showdown in little Tokyo
Men of war

Willis
Die Hards

Decado

Gooster said:
I imagine it's because 2000-10 was dominated by every attempt at a big-name comic book movie from X-Men to The Dark Knight, along with the fantasy kick with Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter films, Narnia, etc. Could be wrong, though.
You are. The obsession with getting a PG-13 rating really hurt action films.

I think a decent list could be made for 2000 through 2009...but there would be more foreign films.

EDIT: Wasn't John Woo's The Killer released that decade?

Boogie9IGN

So I just watched Passenger 57. Wesley Snipes is always a treat, but goddamn some parts of that movie are corny as hell, especially the whoopwhoopwhoop from the passengers after it's all said and done :lol

"Always bet on black" is a badass line though

Judge Dredd is next!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom