• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thumper review thread

CyberChulo

Loving this game so far. Up to level 2-18. The only thing I wish was better use of surround sound speakers. Most of it is front heavy. But I'm sure things will change once I go into VR mode! YEAH!

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Loving this game so far. Up to level 2-18. The only thing I wish was better use of surround sound speakers. Most of it is front heavy. But I'm sure things will change once I go into VR mode! YEAH!

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the surround sound was weak. I kept turning it up, way higher than I usually turn things up. I'll be using headphones when I jump back in through VR on Thursday so whatever.

raw

Gimme.

Z..

A rhythm game with Brian Gibson at the helm? Totally in. I've been waiting for a rhythm game with a soundtrack that's actually good for quite some time...

Edit - when is this getting released? Not on PS store in PAL land at the moment...

Edit 2 - October 13. Nice.

jett

D-Member
This game is going to be too hard for a lot of people. Maybe myself included. I think I remember the guy in the GameSpot stream saying that it was easier to see turns and stuff coming in VR. I'm hoping so because I'm definitely feeling like I'm in over my head lol.

It's challenging, but it's not THAT challenging. I'm not some rhythm savant and I'm making steady progress, although each level seems to take me exponentially more time to finish than the last one. :p

nkarafo

A 5.75 score....

I mean, the fact that the score is low isn't the issue here, it's the precision! This is basically a 0-1000 scale! I wonder what made them give a 5.75 instead of, say, 5.87?

Stupid scores scales like that make absolutely no sense.

A 5.75 score....

I mean, the fact that the score is low isn't the issue here, it's the precision! This is basically a 0-1000 scale! I wonder what made them give a 5.75 instead of, say, 5.87?

Maybe they have a spread sheet that they enter different scores for different aspects of the game and that's what came out.

Or maybe they have a bunch on numbers on a dart board. Who can say for sure.

A 5.75 score....

Because it might actually be a .25 scale, rather than a .01 one. That's fewer possible values than a % scale.

Tain

Glad to hear that it's long and difficult.

I might not be able to wait for the PC version of this, honestly.

edit: VR-wise I mean

This game is getting 8+/10 scores almost across the board and you guys are losing your minds over one (above average!) score.

It's gonna be OK. Thumper's gonna be alright.

I'm not wild about most rhythm games, but I'm beating my head against the boss of level 2 and feel cozy with saying it's a solid 10/10.

This game is getting 8+/10 scores almost across the board and you guys are losing your minds over one (above average!) score.

It's gonna be OK. Thumper's gonna be alright.

I'm not wild about most rhythm games, but I'm beating my head against the boss of level 2 and feel cozy with saying it's a solid 10/10.

To be fair, 5.75 is absolutely not above average. 5 is factually not the average score given to videogames.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The comments on the GameSpot review gave me diarrhea.

To be fair, 5.75 is absolutely not above average. 5 is factually not the average score given to videogames.
It's not like review scores are concrete values that mean the same across the board; each one is dependent on what that individual site's metric means, and then what value that individual reviewer feels best represents his personal opinion.

5.75 is above average in the case of this metric and this site.

It's not like review scores are concrete values that mean the same across the board; each one is dependent on what that individual site's metric means, and then what value that individual reviewer feels best represents his personal opinion.

5.75 is above average in the case of this metric and this site.

I don't agree. 5 is not the "average" score for a videogame on any mainstream site. And look no further than the average videogame score on Open Critic or Meta. Much higher than 5...I believe 6.5 or 7?

I don't agree. 5 is not "average" for a videogame on any mainstream site. Look no further than the average videogame score on Open Critic or Meta. Much higher than 5...I believe 6.5 or 7?
It is in the case of an individual site's scale. What other sites rate don't matter, because that single score is that one person's opinion using that distinct scale. A 7 on GI isn't equivalent to a 7 on Gamespot, because their values have different meaning, compared to how 7 inches will be the same regardless of who is using the measurement

When each scale is different, and each value has different attributes based on the person reviewing and what that site indicates a score means, what exactly does an average score tell us?

It is in the case of an individual site's scale. What other sites rate don't matter, because that single score is that one person's opinion using that distinct scale. A 7 on GI isn't equivalent to a 7 on Gamespot, because their values have different meaning, compared to how 7 inches will be the same regardless of who is using the measurement

When each scale is different, and each value has different attributes based on the person reviewing and what that site indicates a score means, what exactly does an average score tell us?

They still tell us the average. Go to any mainstream website and determine the average score they give to videogames. I guarantee the result is almost always higher than 5. Likely closer to 6.5 or 7. And that is then also reflected in aggregate services like Open or Meta.

Also, just because some sites call the 5 on their scale "average ", does not mean it is the average score they give out. In many cases, they mean average in the sense of "okay". And frankly, it is more useful to see how much of the scale they actually use than to see what they call "average".

Finally, when someone says "5.75 is above average ", they almost always mean in general terms and are not referring to that individual site's metric. And in saying that, they are factually incorrect. 5.75 is not an above average game.

Just looked it up: Game Informer's average score is 7.4. There you have it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Doesn't you're amp/home theatre have an option to adjust the volume on each channel? I'd try turning up the rears and lowering the centre at least before I tinkered with front l/r.

I can see where the gs review is coming from. Up to level 3 and they are still introducing moves but I.can see that the next N levels are going to get me used new move A right after old move BCD etc. It's minimalist to a fault. Hypnotic but not optimistic, it's a bit like a game from an alien collection fell through a warp hole. Even the music isn't really music but is more like.the noise you.get in a subway from that guy beating plastic buckets. I suspect a lot of people.play it while idly wondering if acid or coke would be a good accompanying poison. Basically I can see why someone would just not like it.

Top Bottom