• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tier 2 Xbox One launch: retail stories

Miles X

No, actually PS3 hardware is on top from a few sites I believe...

Either way, 360 smashed PS3 in U.S sales, and Sony made up for those with sales from other territories. More software also sold on 360 and MS probably made more money with Live subscriptions despite RROD fiasco.

They are very close, but realistically, 360 "won" last gen if excluding Wii. I don't think it really matters if Sony pulls out another 5 million more units than X360, they loss a ton of market share and because of there mistakes, ushered in another competitor they likely could have dominated.

Please tell me you're not using that site.

Shipment wise we have no idea, and if PS3 did take the lead Sony would have shouted from the rooftops about it and made a statement.

Shipment wise we have no idea, and if PS3 did take the lead Sony would have shouted from the rooftops about it and made a statement.

Will they really?

I mean, firstly, they themselves won't have concrete numbers on the 360. It'd be a first class PR embarrassment if they claim something which their competitors refute the next day because market research data is not 100% accurate.

Secondly, they can't claim to be the leader anyway because Wii still outsold both of them. Putting out a "we're second place " PR is weak.

Duxxy3

Well, i guess most gamers find the ps4 better in those regards then, no ?
By the way, how is a hardware advantage lessening ?

Controller, no, not at all. There are two genre's that I simply don't like with the dualshock 4 (racers and shooters). Was the sole reason I switched.

Sweep14

They will get more familiar with the ps4 although Sony might not have any desire to improve their dev tools since it's so easy already. Microsoft on the other hand has a lot to improve so we might see a faster improvement on the Xbox side vs PS4. This doesn't mean Xbox games will get better then PS4 games. Most likely we will see some multi-platforms look identical with rare performance issues on the x1.

Also, I agree he could have been more clear.

Pfffuhh...Speak to Cort Stratton (@postgoodism) from Ice team and ask them why they will not enhance their devtools for PS4...😉

FDC1

Microsoft and Sony annouced 80M shipped last fall less than 3 weeks apart

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699151

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710230

Add a holiday season and 8 months in 2014, it's very unlikely that Microsoft is still leading as PS3 is constantly selling better worldwide this last years.

Scotch

Wait this is going to be released in the netherlands in 2 days a year later? I mean i need to repost this the irony of this that the distrubition center is for all EU country's is in the netherlands in eindhoven. And most people i know who did bought a xbone they bought it from germany there stock is overflowing.
That, and plenty of Dutch stores have been selling imported Xbox Ones anyway. Media Markt had stacks of the things for months. This is a non-launch.

Oh wow, it's coming out tomorrow here, I had no clue. Just checked one of our more popular gaming retailers here in Stockholm and I can't even find a banner. It just shows up at spot 8 in the top 10 preorder table. The destiny ps4 bundle is at 5:th place between.

Xbox one has been available as an imported console in the same store for ages though. Number one and two in the preorder table is the PS4 and xbox one versions of destiny respectively.

I went to the largest gaming retail store in Sweden (Webhallen) Yesterday. I didn't really make the connection that XBO is launching soon, so I didn't really look for any XBO stuff, but looking back, I don't remember seeing any promotional material for it. I saw some stuff for Destiny and they still have stuff for Dark Souls II up, however.

Curious, I went to their website to see if they were giving it space there, but didn't really see anything there either. For the PS4 they made a big deal about midnight launch on the website, but there appears to be nothing for XBO. I checked their pre-order top-list as well and it has the XBO at number eight, with the PS4 Destiny bundle at number five. Ordinary PS4 is at number one on the sales list (not the same as pre-order list). Still, you have to consider the fact that this store sold imported units since the 2013 launch, which may explain lack of fanfare for official launch.

Launching early last gen gave MS a great advantage. It took several years before PS3 games started outselling 360 games consistently. In this particular store they reserved a lot more demo kiosks for 360 than PS3 for the vast majority of last gen.

This time around, the hype doesn't seem to be earth shattering.

edit: Heh, most of the stuff I said was already said by the previous poster

Ricky_R

b2dkT1B.jpg

Releasing in more countries is certainly not going to hinder MS and the xbox one. They will not beat the PS4 in sales in these countries but they can close the gap slightly by actually releasing their product in that country.

Releasing in more countries is certainly not going to hinder MS and the xbox one. They will not beat the PS4 in sales in these countries but they can close the gap slightly by actually releasing their product in that country.

If PS4 still sells more per month than xbone in those tier 2 countries, that gap isn't closing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The war is over, They sold their entire shipped stock. Xbox won.

FrySquint.jpg

This works on multiple levels.

kudoboi said:
nobody i know here in Singapore gives a shit about the xbox one. its either PS4 or PC for them.... which is weird because im pretty sure last gen xbox 360 was more popular here than PS3

The power of fucking up your first impression and then continuing to fuck up that impression by going full-on stupid to try to defend it.

MS should've seen the smoke from the fire that Orth made for them, but they didn't. It's basically a live-action verison of that Doom Paul "IF ONLY YOU LISTENED" .gif

repeater

I like how one Japanese Microsoft guy in an interview a year ago saying something that could have been misunderstood, has somehow morphed into 'official' Microsoft roll out language. Be careful what you say these days, the internet is listening and looking for lols.
Yeah, that "japanese Microsoft guy" - Yasuyuki Higuchi, president and chief executive of Microsoft Japan - you know, just a regular clerk.. He's probably not even a full time employee anyway..

gloriousd

Neo Member
Well, the biggest electronics shops in Poland are actually giving a lot of attention to Xbox One.
Media Markt, Saturn and Euro RTV have a lot of banners and commercials on their websites. There are nice, reasonably priced bundles available - Kinectless Xbox One + Forza 5 + Fifa 15 for PLN 1699 (the same price as a white PS4 + Destiny bundle) and Xbox One + Kinect + Just Dance + Fifa 15 for PLN 1999. Those are official prices - you can get a brand new PS4 for as low as PLN 1450 and an imported, sealed Xbox One with Kinect for PLN 1550.

What's interesting is the fact that I know a guy who got his XO bundle... yesterday. He ordered it online and just like that it arrived 3 days ahead of time.

And now some anecdotal data: On the "Polish Ebay" - "allegro.pl" you can find a lot auctions for both consoles and the number of "bought" units is heavily in favour of the PS4. If I calculate it correctly it's 5 to 1 or even more... Moreover, there are dozens if not hundreds of used / imported Xbox One's ready for purchase, far below the official retail price.

Poland was never a huge market for consoles but X360 did very well. I'm pretty sure it was ahead of the PS3 in sales for quite a long time.

weeeeezy

Banned
I hate to tell you this but 1080p won't ever be the norm on X1

Maybe....but I have hope that the tides are turning. Destiny is a prime example of this. You might be right, but only time will tell.

Are you being serious thinking that Sony might not have the desire to improve their tools?

I guess I need to clarify more. Sony really has no incentive to improve their dev tools. Developers already have it easy on the PS4. Microsoft has a lot to improve on the other hand, I recall during launch many developers spoke out about how hard it was to develop for the Xbox. Microsoft has to improve here.

Maybe....but I have hope that the tides are turning. Destiny is a prime example of this. You might be right, but only time will tell.

I guess I need to clarify more. Sony really has no incentive to improve their dev tools. Developers already have it easy on the PS4. Microsoft has a lot to improve on the other hand, I recall during launch many developers spoke out about how hard it was to develop for the Xbox. Microsoft has to improve here.
Can we get a source for this? Because to my knowledge they've had the ICE team constantly working on new ideas for the PS4.

stevil

Joke? Right?

He is right, it is good and natural for the market if incompetent and weak players leef the market as they ensure someone is able to take there place. Just buying a product just to have more competition is basically a consumer subsidy/handout.

weeeeezy

Banned
Can we get a source for this? Because to my knowledge they've had the ICE team constantly working on new ideas for the PS4.

I'm not stating this as a fact but merely my opinion. I'm not familiar with what the ICE team is doing with Sony. If they are working to improve their dev tools then I stand corrected.

BwpXs1WIgAAmXEp.jpg:large

Things in Japan aren't looking very bright (this is the Akihabara Yodobashi store, the one that always shows up on the "Japanese people waiting in line" pics).

What does the sign say about 3DS software Dragon Quest X? LOL if people are actually lining up to buy that instead.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm not stating this as a fact but merely my opinion. I'm not familiar with what the ICE team is doing with Sony. If they are working to improve their dev tools then I stand corrected.

I'm sorry, but your opinion is laughable at best and based on what, exactly?

Sony is on top now and they are way more likely going to bust their asses to stay there.
If you think they will end up being complacent, not improving the platform, you are straight up delusional.

PS4 is market leader by a huge margin and it has a lot of vocal fans with lots of wants and needs. Sony is not going to squander this positive mindshare because they feel they have no incentive to improve. What absolute garbage.

Will they really?

I mean, firstly, they themselves won't have concrete numbers on the 360. It'd be a first class PR embarrassment if they claim something which their competitors refute the next day because market research data is not 100% accurate.

Secondly, they can't claim to be the leader anyway because Wii still outsold both of them. Putting out a "we're second place " PR is weak.

Didn't they do that when they put out the same 80 million number after MS?

Either way, I don't know why people here think the PS3 is ahead. The only recent numbers we got are from Microsoft. We don't have enough information.

The ICE Team from Naughty Dog does nothing else, they constantly improve the tools and help other developers from Sony's Worldwide Studios and third party Studios with the handling of said tools.
Wikipedia Article

If PS4 still sells more per month than xbone in those tier 2 countries, that gap isn't closing.

Wow you got the numbers for those countries already? So I guess Wii U must be number one then because I can guess numbers not out as well. Go Wi- what's this? Oya moved 5 million in 2 weeks in tier 2 countries? AMAZING!

jcm

Didn't they do that when they put out the same 80 million number after MS?

Either way, I don't know why people here think the PS3 is ahead. The only recent numbers we got are from Microsoft. We don't have enough information.

Probably because the PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide for years. It would be surprising if the 360 suddenly turned the tables at this point.

mike4001_

Sony is on top now and they are way more likely going to bust their asses to stay there.
If you think they will end up being complacent, not improving the platform, you are straight up delusional.

PS4 is market leader by a huge margin and it has a lot of vocal fans with lots of wants and needs. Sony is not going to squander this positive mindshare because they feel they have no incentive to improve. What absolute garbage.

Sorry, but in my opinion it´s just the opposite

1) Look at PS+ ... nothing compared to what it was on PS3. And yes, they do not need do release AAA retail games by now but just not only indie 8bit stuff
2) Firmware Updates. 10 months with more or less no features is embarrasing.

I see that they have good sales and therefore see no need to go the extra mile for gamers as they have done in the past (and MS is definitely doing now)

Erolsky

Banned

Honestly, why would they even bother? People buy the PS4, no matter what. Sony itself doesn't even know WHY the PS4 sells so well: http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/20/sony-doesnt-know-why-the-ps4-is-doing-well/

And, it doesn't even matter. They don't Need any exclusives, they don't Need updates (except for stability.)
People still buy the PS4. No matter what.

Microsoft on the other Hand, has to work really hard to get some sales. And yeah, great Job, when you look at all those updates. :)

To keep it competitive. If we don't buy the xbox1 how are MS going to know we want them to make a stronger, cheaper product than Sony next gen?
Why are consumers obligated to keep MS in the game? Right now the message delivered to MS is that a weaker console at the same or higher price point will lead to a bloodbath, that is as strong a message as one can send. Buying a weaker, more expensive product from MS sends the opposite message, it tells them that there are still people who are brand loyal instead of wanting the best, most price-competitive product on the market.

Did you by chance see anything about this?

Looked like MS tried a bit harder in South Korea than Japan I think

No I missed that, semester started this week so they wouldn't have had the student crowd at the event!

The adverts are only about preorder at a specific online store for bonuses, doesn't show any footage. I can't tell if MS are trying particularly hard, we'll see closer to release.

Probably because the PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide for years. It would be surprising if the 360 suddenly turned the tables at this point.

Outselling the 360 except 2 years, but yes ok, but why would that means the PS3 is now magically ahead?

This is Denmark, they are launching here tomorrow.

here is the official twitter acount.

here is the official Facebook account.

and here is Playstations twitter.

and their facebook..

it´s like Microsoft isn´t even trying..

I don't understand this, you're paying people to drum up support for your console, and they can't be arsed to post a couple of screenshots and some cheap PR? I don't understand how MS PAL/JP works, at all. It's like they're the shy kid in the back of the class who's afraid to raise their hand, lest everyone turn around to look at them. Unless your budget is $500 per country, that kind of activity disparity is inexcusable.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sorry, but in my opinion it´s just the opposite

1) Look at PS+ ... nothing compared to what it was on PS3. And yes, they do not need do release AAA retail games by now but just not only indie 8bit stuff
2) Firmware Updates. 10 months with more or less no features is embarrasing.

I see that they have good sales and therefore see no need to go the extra mile for gamers as they have done in the past (and MS is definitely doing now)

The PS3 had a six-year-deep games library of 'stopped-selling' games to dig into for PS+, the PS4 doesn't have that same benefit. Surely you understand this. The Xbox One is absolutely no different in this regard, in fact, it's worse.
I'd take a high quality indie over a middling game like Knack every time. Also the PS+ discounts on the PSN store alone have nearly paid for my yearly subscription already. Not to mention we're still getting two Vita and PS3 games every month. What do you suggest they add on PS+ in terms of games? I'd love to hear it.

Also, Firmware updates is indeed starting slow but you are kidding yourself if you think Sony hasn't read the comparisons or outcry for more features. There's pretty big updates coming this september even, it just doesn't happen at the flick of a switch.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Destiny is a last gen/cross gen game, as is Diablo 3. There really should be no excuse for the X1 to not run these games at 1080p and 60fps, but the fact that it's struggling to do so is pretty telling.

We will really see the hardware difference separate the two consoles when true next gen games, like Arkham Knight or the Witcher 3 hit store shelves (that's if MS doesn't force console parity by buying it or bullying devs, both of which I can see them doing).

It reads a lot like wishful thinking on his part.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That, and plenty of Dutch stores have been selling imported Xbox Ones anyway. Media Markt had stacks of the things for months. This is a non-launch.

Same in Belgium. It's more like a new bundle coming out than an actual console launch, especially given how they botched the localization.

weeeeezy

Banned

I stated that developers have had it very easy on the PS4. Sony has no need to improve their dev tools since it's so easy to develop on the console already. If I'm wrong, which someone pointed out with the ICE team, then thats fine. But is it really necessary to say I'm being delusional, calling what I said absolute garbage? It's not like I'm bashing Sony here, in fact its quite the opposite.

eXistor

We'll see. At the store I work we have about 45 pre-orders, which is nothing compared to the PS4 (judging by the op's story we work at the same chain of stores). There's been a distinct lack of hype from our customers and very few have actually made a down-payment so I'm curious to see how many we'll actually sell. I think it'll so okay in the long-run, but as the op already said: Sony is king in the Netherlands. In the 360/PS3 days, Sony did roughly double the numbers MS did and the gap seems to be growing every month.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I stated that developers have had it very easy on the PS4. Sony has no need to improve their dev tools since it's so easy to develop on the console already. If I'm wrong, which someone pointed out with the ICE team, then thats fine. But is it really necessary to say I'm being delusional, calling what I said absolute garbage? It's not like I'm bashing Sony here, in fact its quite the opposite.

Dev tools are always improving. Why do you think otherwise?

Sure PS4 devs have it pretty good already but there's always a lot of gains to be made and new techniques being implemented
. To think that they'd just stop improving them just sounds silly.

Dutch gamingretailers remain sceptical about the Xbox One launch:

http://entertainmentbusiness.nl/nie...ameretailer-sceptisch-over-xbox-one-lancering

Some interresting quotes:

Niels Thomassen, owner of Nedgame: “We haven't heard anything at all. Inquiries to distributors on available quantities or promotion material let to nothing. I would happily have bought a few hundred launch units But there is no guarantee I will actually receive them. Thats why we closed the pre-orders early, purely because I do not know if I can provide them. Meanwhile we continue to import them, then at least we know we will actually receive them.

" Dragan Blom, owner of Foregames in Breda and Tilburg adds. "It remains eerily quiet surrounding the launch. Microsoft throws us a bit in the deep end. Should there not be promotional material for the stores? Why are there no commercials on TV to create a little demand. I would almost think that they themselves do not really believe in it anymore. "

" Wesley de Jong, owner of Game Shock in Gorinchem says that the demand for Xbox One slow in his shop. "There has never been a real Xbox One-hype. Not even around the original launch date. It's a strange situation, after the announcement of the PS4, I was flooded with pre-orders, but with the Xbox One that was not the case. We also do not really have pre-orders for this official launch, because the console was already in the store anyway. "

Sounds messed up, Microsoft should get their act together, this launch is a joke.

Daniel R

I was in the biggest electronics store in the 6th largest city in Sweden, 10 minutes past opening. There were no queues, and no other people near the xbox one stacks.
I got the kinectless version with an extra controller and Ryse for 3790 swedish kronor ($25 dollars under suggested retail price for just the console.)

Top Bottom