• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney: “If Valve commits to a permanent 88% revenue share, we’ll stop making new exclusive deals”

GenericUser

I don't believe such nonsense. Sweeney is just talking shit about valve and acting as if he is fighting for the consumer. Nonsense. He is making those exclusive deals to promote his own shop and and nothing else.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What PR bullshit this is. Epic knows that a 12% cut is unsustainable and that Valve would never go that low. It is a huge load of fake concern for developers. Doing the math, anyone can see that it makes zero sense for Valve as a company to come down that low. Perhaps for certain titles under an exclusivity deal it would make sense, but not across the board.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
I believe Tim like I believed games would cost less for the consumer when they went from big game boxes with big game manuals and cloth maps to DVD style cases with a single sheet saying "FU. We're still going to charge the same amount. Ha ha."

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Why not? Less big publishers will probably pull out if they do.
Because it's unsustainable and Tim knows it.
Because that cut is standard market cut.
Because you don't deal with terrorists.

And even if they ever did it, the additional costs would somehow fall on the consumers.
Steam is actually one of the worst things in PC gaming industry.
Well, I do agree with that, but the egs is even worse.
Steam saved PC gaming
No, it didn't. It did help PC gaming, that's for sure. "Saving", though? Nope.

And it tied us up to a dystopian future of pointless launchers and store exclusives.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Because it's unsustainable and Tim knows it.
Because that cut is standard market cut.
Because you don't deal with terrorists.

And even if they ever did it, the additional costs would somehow fall on the consumers.

Well, I do agree with that, but the egs is even worse.

No, it didn't. It did help PC gaming, that's for sure. "Saving", though? Nope.

And tied us up to a dystopian future of pointless launchers and store exclusives.

LOL it absolutely saved it, what revisionist world are you living in where 15 years ago steam didn't save pc gaming from lone shelves in gamestop and walmart

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This is such a dumb bluff.

Epic games launcher is crap. I have an account yet can not login cannot reset my password etc. Get your own house in order before making demands of others

sixamp

Like many have said there's no way valve could go that low and provide all of the features steam has. There's alot going on behind the scenes at valve to make steam what it is. It's not just hats for tf2.

With that said a few people seem to think steam is ruining pc gaming? Are you crazy? We're u around back I t he day when pc gaming was a giant cluster fck, having to search around the web for updates and mods? Steam brought pc gaming into one all u can eat buffet which also led other companies make their own stores for their games. Steam isn't perfect but without it pc gaming would be a joke again.

Calibos

I played computer games without there ever being a "Steam" for twenty years, thank you very much.

I wish we could go back to that time in PC gaming.

Sweeney is just continuing to play the part of leader in the industry. As long as the Fortnite and Unreal money keeps flowing in, he can continue to be an asshole.

Tesseract is right. Steam did save PC gaming (along with WoW). If you were on a gaming forum in 2002, you know conversations played out. It was "the brain can only see 24 frames per second" levels of stupid with all the "PC gaming is dead". "PS2 is so powerful terrorists can use it to send missiles to the moon".

It's important to remember that Steam was, very, very different back then. When Steam first came out, a lot of people were angry and saw it as Spyware. At the time, for CS 1.6 players it was believed that Steam would slow down your computer. And the initial rollout of games was also slow in the beginning.

As consumers we cannot really see how those 30% revenue streams benefit Steam as a platform. How much money is poured back into the platform, or marketing initiatives that benefit the games in other ways. Valve has a lot of other unrelated costs that are associated with the platforms massive popularity across many countries.

I don't see Epics stance as being bad. Like with Streaming services on TV, all the big guys have to duke it out. With Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu right now- We will be joined by more services from Apple and Disney and others. And some of those services will die or be bought or merged with others. I am prepared for a messy transition period, and I don't want to spend my time getting angry over the big dogs fighting. It's fine. Consumers will go where the deals are great. GoG, Uplay, EA Origin. All these fragmented platforms isolate player engagement and that has a cost associated with it. Developers can choose and gamers can choose. The choice is important in capital systems. These price wars should benefit players. Valve has every opportunity to meet Epic or give developers new incentives and tactics to gain more revenue streams.
Valve doesn't have to do what Sweeney says. They could reward developers in a lot of different ways, or start signing exclusives on their own. Maybe Epic is what will make Valve refocus their efforts as an internal developer too.

JCK75

Sweeney knows when the Fortnite money runs out he has nothing else, and he's earned nothing but hatred from a good portion of the PC gaming community.. this is nothing but a shallow attempt to look like less of a POS while setting unsustainable standards.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Steam actually made PC gaming worth while.
PC gaming was worth while decades before steam and continue to be.

Steam is only an aggregate digital store front with bad practices... PC games are PC games like always with or without Steam.

Epic Games Store is as bad as Steam but até least they are trying to make things better (by the wrong reasons btw).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is BS. Basically Tim is using something that sounds pro-consumer to lower Steam's edge.

I bet Valve spends more in support services for Steam that Epic does.

Also as long as the other stores don't match Steam's features being able to transfer licenses is moot. Why would anyone transfer out of steam and lose features?

If what Steam charges was unfair then Epic wouldn't need to money hat anyone to have their games in their platform? I mean, if Steam is such a cancer and Epic takes a lower cut, why would any dev would sell in Steam?

Tim should elevate it's service instead of trying to have the market leader (and essentially creator) to have a handicap. If he is so pro consumer why not pass along the savings to consumers or just let us chose instead of paying for exclusivity.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: fuck off, Tim.

This.

Tim, I used to be a fan, but now you sound like a nerdy mobster peddling lines of BS once you smelled all that bread.

Last edited:

demigod

No matter what is his intentions...

He is absolutely right.

Steam is actually one of the worst things in PC gaming industry.
No, it did not. It helped it. Not "saved".

And fucked up consumers in the process, incidentally.

You guys are wrong, Steam did save PC gaming. Retailers were stocking PC games less and less because they weren't selling. You guys might want to check sales data outside of WoW, Diablo, Starcraft. Why do you think Epic said FUCK PC gaming and flocked to consoles?

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

That's a claim they shouldn't make at all... It's their competitive advantage and they are encouraging others to eliminate it?

HyGogg

Banned
He knows it'll never happen because Valve doesn't really care about the handful of games they've lost to exclusivity agreements. So this is just posturing on the ways in which EGS is the "good guy."

That said, PC Gamers continue to be the worst bunch of crybabies on the planet just as they have always been, and EGS exclusives are not a big deal especially for single player games.

ethomaz

Banned
You guys are wrong, Steam did save PC gaming. Retailers were stocking PC games less and less because they weren't selling. You guys might want to check sales data outside of WoW, Diablo, Starcraft. Why do you think Epic said FUCK PC gaming and flocked to consoles?
Retailer PC gamas were dying because digital was growing.
You have plenty of alternatives to buy, download and install your game.

That has nothing to do with Steam at all.

Epic flocked to both consoles and PC because it sells more than PC but it was ever like that... and that won't change... an simple specialized machine for games will always sells more games than a multiuse complex machine.

Last edited:

demigod

Retailer PC gamas were dying because digital was growing.
You have plenty of alternatives to buy, download and install your game.

That has nothing to do with Steam at all.

Nope, WoW, Diablo, Starcraft had physical copies and you could buy those games digitally.

Not that I believe him, but for better or worse, I give Mr. Sweeney credit for making sure the Epic Store is constantly in the news.

ethomaz

Banned
PC games were dying in general, not because digital was growing.
Nope... that is revisionist story.

2001: "PC game sales also had a good year, reaching nearly $6 billion in 2001 from $5.4 billion in the preceding year."

PC physical + digital combined was growing before Steam be out in 2003 but yes physical only was falling.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
What PR bullshit this is. Epic knows that a 12% cut is unsustainable and that Valve would never go that low. It is a huge load of fake concern for developers. Doing the math, anyone can see that it makes zero sense for Valve as a company to come down that low. Perhaps for certain titles under an exclusivity deal it would make sense, but not across the board.

Unsustainable? Isn`t Discord at 10%?

demigod

Nope... that is revisionist story.

2001: "PC game sales also had a good year, reaching nearly $6 billion in 2001 from $5.4 billion in the preceding year."

PC physical + digital combined was growing before Steam be out in 2003 but yes physical only was falling.

You have data from 2004 -> 2008?

ethomaz

Banned
You have data from 2004 -> 2008?
PC gaming sales physical + digital did grow like in the past.

That is not related to Steam... the industry grow... not only PC gaming sales but Consoles, Handheld and Mobile gaming sales.

You are jumping conclusion that PC gaming sales were growing due Steam when it is always growing before Steam... you saw a drop in Physical sales and attributed that to PC dying when digital coved that and better made the industry grow.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Unsustainable? Isn`t Discord at 10%?
I have no idea, but any of these newcomers will not be able to sustain that pricing structure long term if it is their core business and they want to remain in business.

demigod

PC gaming sales physical + digital did grow like in the past.

That is not related to Steam... the industry grow... not only PC gaming sales but Consoles, Handheld and Mobile gaming sales.

You are jumping conclusion that PC gaming sales were growing due Steam when it is always growing before Steam.

You gave data in 2001, that's not when PC was dying. Do you have data from 2004 to 2008?

ethomaz

Banned
You gave data in 2001, that's not when PC was dying. Do you have data from 2004 to 2008?
There is no suck data that proves PC was dying lol I can't find what didn't exists.

You probably saw something like that:

slide_4.jpg

Jumped the conclusion... PC gaming is dying... when indeed retail was falling.

Can you show to me where this claim "PC was daying before Steam" come? When PC sales always increased year over year.

Last edited:

RemedyCRD

Neo Member
The guy sounds like he's robbed a bank and now he's making demands for the release of hostages.

I'm sure Valve are smart enough to stay the course and continue improving their storefront. You know, the thing Epic should be focusing their efforts on.

Shifty

Sounds like a noble cause at the surface level, but I don't trust Sweeney as far as I can throw him after EGS' frankly messy entry into the PC gaming space.

Sweet words and ignoble intentions, a true politician.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I call bullshit.

If Valve did that then why would anybody go to Epic for anything. It's the only leg up they have on the competition.

Holammer

Here's my interpretation and theory on what's happening.
Epic aggressively going for exclusives garnered far more negative reactions than they anticipated and has gone so far that it's damaging the positive buzz and even the brand/IP for games that went EGS exclusive, so much that investors may start asking difficult questions. Just like shitting on Bethesda's stupid decisions launched Youtube careers, Epic Game Store is fast becoming the next launchpad. Whether it is Chinese spyware or working conditions, the negativity spiral is in full swing.

So what to do? Tim is trying to shift the blame towards Valve and present himself as the good guy, undeserving of all this flak
It's also possible that he's actually genuinely suggesting this, but that makes no goddamned sense. If EGS offers a better cut and platform, the industry would follow naturally, Epic would be WINNING! But perhaps that's not happening? Is there's some sort of friction in the background we don't know about. Something that would explain why there are no Japanese games on EGS (yet), or why Bethesda and MS, two greedy & faceless corporations release high profile titles on Steam rather than EGS despite a more profitable revenue share model.
I'm guessing Tim shit the bed and upset some of the big players in the industry with his rabble-rousing and everyone are currently busy giving Epic the Koyaanisqatsi stare. Maybe they'll actively start blocking Epic's plans to become the Facebook of Gaming. If Sony/MS presents their own mandatory cross-platform API solution they would effectively curb-stomp such ambitions.

That said, I hope Valve calls the bluff/take up their offer. Why not? It'd be great for everyone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom