• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for Sony to bring back a first party shooter.

Resistance would be good.

Only if Insomniac brings it back to the essence of Fall of Man (an arcade like, skill-based shooter with addictive gameplay and TONS of atmosphere) and stops fucking with the formula.

Resistance 2 and 3 sucked in comparison to the original game because they changed it too hard from what it originally was to appeal to more people (wasn't necessary). After playing and loving the original, I felt alienated from the sequels due to the changes. IMO the IP lost the best parts of the identity it had going for itself more with each game. It became generic and sucky.

If Insomniac were to continue the Resistance franchise I would want a scary ass game with the mechanics, style and atmosphere of Resistance: Fall of Man. In regards to how they could expand on the franchise, it would be cool to somehow go to the Chimera's home planet maybe. The devs could explore the more alien side of the chimera we havent really seen, so long as they avoid the lame tropes associated with aliens.

Last edited:
I'm not even quite sure what a Playstation made FPS would look like. It's definitely a genre that they just couldn't seem to grasp. They always seems to be playing catch up. Trying to chase the success that was HALO. It would be cool if they did take another shot, i'm just not sure what that shot would be.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Sony killed the studio that made the best Killzone (Mercenary), and looking at the decline of the Killzone games I think the safest thing would be to remake Mercenary for nextgen, it would only score bad if they fuck up the remake, and for most gamers it would be a new game, since the Vita marketshare was low.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Sony killed the studio that made the best Killzone (Mercenary), and looking at the decline of the Killzone games I think the safest thing would be to remake Mercenary for nextgen, it would only score bad if they fuck up the remake, and for most gamers it would be a new game, since the Vita marketshare was low.
tenor.gif

recma12

Eh, don't see why Sony should get back into the FPS business, when they had so much success without a AAA FPS on the roster.
Now that Guerilla had been killing it with HZD, it's even more doubtful that they will be put back to work on KZ.

Let's face it, it is very hard to make a game that is competetive with CoD, Destiny, Battlefield, APEX, Valorant, Overwatch and them. That market is flooded by 3rd party studios anyways, they have more experience and the bigger playerbase thanks to cross play.

Nah, I think Sony is being very smart by focussing on what they do best: AAA 3rd person adventures with a little GT or Sackboy sprinkled in here and there. Let 3rd party make the rest of the catalogue.

ZywyPL

Banned
I don't think Sony is interested in MP games, they tried over and over and over again back on the PS3, but never delivered anything that could last more than a month or two, so there's not much money made on the DLCs, they tried with KZ:SF and UC4 this gen, and those games didn't last long as well. They just seem to not have have what it takes. They mastered 3rd person cinematic/story-driven games, that's what brings them the most money, and that's what they'll mostly stick to, with some exclusivity deals for 3rd party MP games like CoD etc. it's just cheaper and more effective, it worked so damn well this generation, so why wouldn't it for the next one? If it ain't broken, don't fix it, simple. Just imagine exclusive PS character skins to Fortnirte, it would just print tons of money, with close to zero input/investment from their side.

They didn't even bother with a Killzone Collection or Resistance Collection for the PS4 to get some new fans into these series.

They can always just reboot the series, so the old-time fans would get to play their beloved franchises, while the newer, younger generations would think they are playing a new IP, it's a win-win scenario. And looking how the plot/universes of both franchises went, rebooting them and starting from scratch would be IMO the best option instead of continuing where they left.

Playstation has plenty of third-person shooters however.

From 3rd or 1st party devs? Because other than UC4 Sony hasn't delivered anything in that regards, and that's what the topic is about There was also KZ:SF, but that's just two MP shooters for entire generation, that's far from "plenty".

If Sony brought back Resistance in the same narrative sense as the original and the 3rd it would be fucking ace.

For all the flak the PS3 got in its early life cycle I had a ton of fun with R:FoM both offline and online. The mystic and engimatic vibe of the story was really engaging and intriguing too. Resistance 3 brought it back on the right course. Its a shame they didn't continue it from there.

Relativ9

Start a new one, Resistance and Killzone comes with a lot of baggage in the form of poor/mediocre entries in the franchise, start a new franchise from an A-list studio (Like Guerilla or Insomniac) that has now developed it's talent much more since last time around and give them a go at a completely new universe that will set itself apart from games like Halo, Gears and COD, but still has the potential to outshine them. We need a "Zero Dawn" shooter from Sony, something so aesthetically unique and inviting that everyone will take notice; this can not be accomplished with Space Marine X or Gritty Shooter Y.

cireza

Multiplayer games are difficult, you have to maintain servers, balance the game, make frequent patches, listen to a community.

Sony rather release single player games one after another and call it a day.

93xfan

Banned
Classic Socom was amazing! Some of the best MAlso loved Killzone 2.

While we’re at it, I’d love another Jumping Flash game!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Helghast vs Chimera

A Killzone & Resistance crossover, collaboration between Insomniac and Guerrilla. Never going to happen, but just imagine 😍

Ar¢tos

They should make shooters in styles that 3rd parties don't do.
I think the closest to Socom would be Rainbow Six, but I don't think there was any game this gen close to MAG.
MAG concept can even be expanded to include aspects that appeal to people that don't play shooters, like a FPS x Tomorrow Children hybrid.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
A really good single-player FPS would be cool, yeah. I'm a Bungie Halo guy (feels like I've said this a few times now) & I think there's never been anything as good as those games in the genre. I can (& do) still look to Halo for my FPS fix, but it's not what it was & it never will be.

If a PlayStation studio could come out with something as fun & epic as Bungie did in their day, that would be a hell of a feather in the cap & another reason to buy into the PS5.

INC

I'm shocked kz3 wasnt remastered for VR

It already had move and 3d support, not far off VR

I'd still be using my psvr if it had a kz vr game

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm shocked kz3 wasnt remastered for VR

It already had move and 3d support, not far off VR

I'd still be using my psvr if it had a kz vr game

Yeah, adding VR on top of PS Move (especially Machine Gun attachment), would make such a perfect sense for making a proper FPS VR experience.

Damigos

I was literally thinking of making the exact same thread. First person shooter (killzone, resistance. timesplitters etc) and arcade/semi simulation racers (Driveclub, Wipeout, Motorstorm etc)

I wanna see them all return !!

Last edited:

Roufianos

Too much competition, we are actually full of shooters already.
As much as I would like Socom it would compete with CSGO and Valorant.

CSGO is 1st person and isn't Valorant cartoonish? There's a market for tactical 3rd person shooters not being filled, besides maybe PUBG and Ghost Recon PvP.

I pray Sony bring back Socom, if MS are going to make XBL free then they need some online games to justify PS+.

Last edited:
Killzone 2 still looks great to this day. Loved the grim tone to it. Shadow Fall didn't scratch that itch to me.
Warzone mode was THE shit, the maps were great, well designed, sadly no later KZ game was able to recreate that brilliant MP experience. The game still looks so damn good till this very day:

Just bump the res to 4K and no owe would noticed it's a decade old title.

Overlooking the controversy and what not it really did age very well graphically. Guerrilla really pushed themselves to the limit on it even though it wasn't close to 1:1 to the infamous trailer.

INC

CSGO is 1st person and isn't Valorant cartoonish? There's a market for tactical 3rd person shooters not being filled, besides maybe PUBG and Ghost Recon PvP.

I pray Sony bring back Socom, if MS are going to make XBL free then they need some online games to justify PS+.

5v5 is a flooded market tho, whereas the large scale shooters aren't (unless a BR or.......BF)

Theres a gap in the market, especially with how poor BF is nowadays. A larger scaler shooter could do extremely well

Basically give me kz2 on a BF scale (minus the input lag lol)

That would make me buy a ps5 at this point, hell even a decent kz2 remaster would (if no input lag)

Kz2 with 64 players+ with tanks, drop ships, jeeps (no jet packs) man, that's almost the dream

Kamina

Golden Boy
I’d even take a Killzone 1 - 4 Remake collection

All looking like similar to shadow fall (4) with better frame-rate, resolution and shading.

Last edited:
Resistance would be good.
I’d love for Resistance to come back
/Thread.

Resistance is the only FPS I care and need.
Resistance please!
Resistance 3 was fucking amazing. Would love another Resistance game.
A new Resistance please .

Hey type this into your browser and see where it takes you. Heard it off a streamer a few days ago.

resistancefallofman.Com

Resistance and Killzone were mediocre.

It would need to be a brand new IP.

Something like a blend of Goldeneye and Black would be the direction I'd go in.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Too much competition, we are actually full of shooters already.
As much as I would like Socom it would compete with CSGO and Valorant.
Except maybe the OP is talking about an FPS with a real campaign?

I agree that an mp-focused shooter is both a large commitment and a large gamble but that doesn't preclude a good singleplayer and/or co-op game.

I'd love something along the lines of No One Lives Forever or Goldeneye.

PapyDoc

Would I like to see one? Sure, if it comes from the right studio and given enough time in the cooker. Is it necessary? No. Is it happening? More than likely not....

Playstation has plenty of third-person shooters however. Good ones at that. Returnal being another coming in hot. When you have games like Halo barely making a blip in the radar, and not a positive blip at that you know how saturated the market really is.
I would disagree on that, the overall design of AAA FPS is in "crisis", people get fed up with the traditional corridors fest with regenerate health these shooter has become. But when you look at the indie FPS on PC, there is a sort a resuregence of old design and more creative design, just like Gloomwood, or Dusk or even Trepang 2.
In short Sony should take the Doom and Doom Eternal road.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People asking for remakes have no soul. When they die, they go to neither heaven or hell. They just kind of...disappear.

I would disagree on that, the overall design of AAA FPS is in "crisis", people get fed up with the traditional corridors fest with regenerate health these shooter has become. But when you look at the indie FPS on PC, there is a sort a resuregence of old design and more creative design, just like Gloomwood, or Dusk or even Trepang 2.
In short Sony should take the Doom and Doom Eternal road.

Doom Eternal didn't sell that great considering the reception of the first and the hype behind the first.... if I'm not mistaken. But there is truth in that there are consumers always looking for something outside the norm, something that feels different - even if not necessarily too revolutionary or fresh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom