• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time is a flat circle: MatthewMcConaughey is willing to do season 3 of True Detective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/19/matthew-mcconaughey-true-detective-season-3

Eisen then brought up a previous conversation he had had with the actor where McConaughey suggested he would return to playing Cohle if given the opportunity.

“I hear that all the time now,” said McConaughey. “‘You said you were going to do season 3. When is it coming?’” He went on to add that the “ball’s not advanced at all. I’ve talked to the creator Nic Pizzolatto who’s taking a little break from it.”

Not all hope is lost, though. “If that thing was written well and it came up again, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second,” he admitted. “Oh, I’m open to it for sure.”

Xe4

Banned
I don't think S2 is that bad, simply average. Thing is S1 is one of the best shows ever made, so it seems like S2 is more of a shit show than it is.

I'm down for a season 3. If I doesn't review well, I just won't watch it.

Sanjuro

Why wouldn't they just do a season two? What kind of fucking sense would it make going from season one to three?!?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
loved season 1, but yeah, I'd wait for the reviews regardless of who's in it.

Imm0rt4l

No thanks. I hope Pizzolotto has ample time for his work to gestate for whatever he does next. I don't really have a whole lot of faith in him after season 2.

Tugatrix

giphy.gif

if fukunaga get on board I'm in

After that shitshow that was season 2, I'm not surprised that probably we won't be seing season 3. And I'm not sure if I wanna see Rust again. It was flawless and I loved every single second of that character. Maybe it's better if they leave it right there. It had a kinda perfect ending. Unless they're doing a prequel about that time that Rust was an undercover agent. That would be cool.

Chemo

Hate for season 2 is way overblown. It sure wasn't the best thing ever BUT it tried to be something different. Ultimately it failed to capture the hearts and minds of the people who loved the first season, BUT

and this is a big ole but

Pizzolatto told everyone multiple times he couldn't turn out a proper season within a yearly cycle. He also was incredibly up front about trying something completely different with the second season. Viewer expectations added with the second season not getting enough time in the oven are why this series is where it is right now.

Nick Pizzolatto can make another great season of this show, and I fully expect him to do it. Taking time to explore other projects does not mean he's not in the planning stages, and extra time is absolutely the thing he needs.

I wish people would give the guy a break. There's nothing wrong with trying something new, and given time, he can deliver.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hey actor, would you take another job?

Sure, I guess.

ACTOR IS LITERALY CRYING CUS HE WANTS TO PLAY FAMOUS CHARACTER AGAIN

Chumley

Banned
The hate Pizzolatto gets here makes me want to throw up. He spent like 3 years writing S1, he owns that shit, the idea that Fukunaga is the one responsible for its success instead of him is insane. It does not exist without him, full stop. Pointing to S2 as some kind of proof of him being a fraud makes no sense, HBO demanded he pump it out in 8 months and everything else he's done till then (including novels) was excellent.

There's also the fact that S2 hate is totally overblown but that's another conversation.

Bluth54

Hate for season 2 is way overblown. It sure wasn't the best thing ever BUT it tried to be something different. Ultimately it failed to capture the hearts and minds of the people who loved the first season, BUT

and this is a big ole but

Pizzolatto told everyone multiple times he couldn't turn out a proper season within a yearly cycle. He also was incredibly up front about trying something completely different with the second season. Viewer expectations added with the second season not getting enough time in the oven are why this series is where it is right now.

Nick Pizzolatto can make another great season of this show, and I fully expect him to do it. Taking time to explore other projects does not mean he's not in the planning stages, and extra time is absolutely the thing he needs.

I wish people would give the guy a break. There's nothing wrong with trying something new, and given time, he can deliver.

Fargo Season 2 was different from Season 1 and fans still loved it.

The reason people don't like Season 2 of True Detective was because it was an incomprehensible mess.

Chumley

Banned

The reason people don't like Season 2 of True Detective was because it was an incomprehensible mess.

It was average and had its ups and downs. People despised it because it was a follow up to one of the best seasons of anything ever, if it were its own show it would have been received with "that was kind of weird and cool".

Chemo

I guess you just totally skipper past the dude not being given enough time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why would he be in season 3? Isn't this an anthology? I like how anthologies go against the grind of "more, more, more of the same until it's bled dry".

That's pretty good. I like that. I'm taking it. It's mine now.

I been saying it since it came out. It portrayed crime in that scary and downright eerie way that Season 2 tried to do and failed at. Didn't even need to rely on weird Lynchian imagery either.

It was average and had its ups and downs. People despised it because it was a follow up to one of the best seasons of anything ever, if it were its own show it would have been received with "that was kind of weird and cool".

Naw, if it were called something else, it'd still fail. The only difference is that less people would have watched it.

I'm not even hating trying to hate. I watched the whole thing as it aired. And a couple months ago I tried to give it another chance. I made it 3 episodes in and stopped. There are just no hooks for these characters. You don't like any of them. They're all overdramatic pieces of shit in the most boring way. The mystery has no hooks. At no point do you get invested in the mystery or care. Dialogue tries way to hard to be edgy. I'm not saying it should be good with the less-than-a-year time he had to write it. I'm just saying we shouldn't defend a rush job just because it was a rush job.

I don't think S2 is that bad, simply average. Thing is S1 is one of the best shows ever made, so it seems like S2 is more of a shit show than it is.

I'm down for a season 3. If I doesn't review well, I just won't watch it.

oh it definitely was that bad. i am still stunned they could let that happen. the only thing that has shocked me worse is that trump is president. both situations are just fucking baffling and the end results are just as bad as everyone says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom