• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time is a flat circle: MatthewMcConaughey is willing to do season 3 of True Detective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Nick Pizzolatto can make another great season of this show, and I fully expect him to do it. Taking time to explore other projects does not mean he's not in the planning stages, and extra time is absolutely the thing he needs.

I wish people would give the guy a break. There's nothing wrong with trying something new, and given time, he can deliver.

Have you ever listened to the guy speak? He's so full of himself and possibly borderline crazy. That's all well and good when you bang out something great like Season 1 but if you then shit the bed after that people aren't gonna have much patience for it. I doubt HBO has any interest in a Season 3.

Chumley

Banned
Have you ever listened to the guy speak? He's so full of himself and possibly borderline crazy. That's all well and good when you bang out something great like Season 1 but if you then shit the bed after that people aren't gonna have much patience for it. I doubt HBO has any interest in a Season 3.

Who gives a shit what he sounds like in interviews? And HBO already said they'll do it when he's ready.

Didn't the president of HBO admit that he (the HBO president) was at fault for wanting to rush Season 2 out the door?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Who gives a shit what he sounds like in interviews? And HBO already said they'll do it when he's ready.

1) Because at least half of what made Season 1 so great was the direction and his personality is abrasive enough that his director didn't want to work with him again.

2) He appears to be a major narcissist, so the success of Season 1 led him to going entirely up his own ass thinking he was an untouchable genius, and thus Season 2 was a convoluted mess

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You let me know when Cary Fukunaga returns to direct and craft every episode and I'll start caring.

The hate Pizzolatto gets here makes me want to throw up. He spent like 3 years writing S1, he owns that shit, the idea that Fukunaga is the one responsible for its success instead of him is insane. It does not exist without him, full stop. Pointing to S2 as some kind of proof of him being a fraud makes no sense, HBO demanded he pump it out in 8 months and everything else he's done till then (including novels) was excellent.

There's also the fact that S2 hate is totally overblown but that's another conversation.
But the writing was clearly the weakest part of season one. The finale in particular was an absolute joke. Pizzolatto is a complete hack. He should be working at Starbucks.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The return of Reggie Ledoux

As much as id love it in theory, season 1 was just perfect for what it was, id love more of it but thats just not possible, it captured a moment in time, let it stay in that moment and remain untarnished.

This is actually bad news. McConaughey has previously expressed interest in reprising his role, so that's nothing new, but he points out that Pizzaroni still isn't interested in a third season.

Please bring back daddario for...um...reasons

giphy.gif

jonezer4

The people that call True Detective Season 2 "average" must watch a ton of shit television, because it's literally the worst season of TV I watched last year, or maybe ever. I don't care if it's called True Detective or not.

What was really so offensive about it was that it was sooo bad, but never really made the leap into funny bad. The final season of Dexter you could hate-watch and laugh the whole time. This season was just so dull, drab, lifeless, and terrible you couldn't get anything out of it until afterward when people made funny memes about how terrible it was.

Frankly, it made me apoplectic.

Gorillaz

Pizza guy thought he was so clever with the red herring red head kid in s2

Anybody who came up with that plot line needs a writers room

JoduanER2

The hate Pizzolatto gets here makes me want to throw up. He spent like 3 years writing S1, he owns that shit, the idea that Fukunaga is the one responsible for its success instead of him is insane. It does not exist without him, full stop. Pointing to S2 as some kind of proof of him being a fraud makes no sense, HBO demanded he pump it out in 8 months and everything else he's done till then (including novels) was excellent.

There's also the fact that S2 hate is totally overblown but that's another conversation.

Theres a lot of people here in gaf who say things without knowing anything

Chemo

Couldn't give less of a fuck. Have you seen season 1? Because that's what you get when he gets the time he needs.

If they give him time, he can do it.

And just so you know, HBO is interested. He's already making Perry Mason for them with Robert Downey Jr and they said they're up for True Detective season 3 whenever he's ready to do it.

he was good but people overlook the hell out of Woody too and how well that dynamic worked between the both of them.

also fukunaga brought so much to the show too. with just pizza guy and matt fuck that I'll pass, well I won't pass I'll sit through it as long as it's not boring but I'm not expecting much either.

I'd like another season of this show. Season 1 was something else and 2 was a messy shitshow that no one remembers (nor wants to).

Just take your time writing the script and bring back the original director and let him direct all 8 episodes. And for the love of fuck don't hire Vince Vaugn for anything.

Chumley

Banned
1) Because at least half of what made Season 1 so great was the direction and his personality is abrasive enough that his director didn't want to work with him again.

2) He appears to be a major narcissist, so the success of Season 1 led him to going entirely up his own ass thinking he was an untouchable genius, and thus Season 2 was a convoluted mess

Season 2 was a mess because he is not a writer who does well under a tight schedule. He was under contract with HBO and was forced to pump it out in less than 8 months, if you want to blame someone blame them for not also forcing him to work with other writers since he had a limited schedule. As for the rest, you seem to want to convince yourself he's a bad person for some reason so that's your own battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom