• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME says rap music sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Country is a joke. Rap is a parody. Rock splintering into different genres, most of which ain't so hot. What else is new?

methane47

You know.. I fricking love rap and think that Rapping is one of the music genres that has the most talent (best and worst)

But I'm glad that the Rap industry is crumbling... Finally Frickin emo kids and heavy metal heads can get off our collective [censored] and finally realize that Rap isn't causing the destruction of modern day society like some of you would SOOO like to believe...

I can't wait till Rap as an industry is largely innoculated.. And then you biotches won't have Rappers to blame for your problems any more...

Then maybe Police wont be able to blame Rappers for them not being able to solve crimes

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
ParticleReality said:
Rap needs more MF Doom and Ghostface killa team ups. That new album of theirs is going to be the greatest shit ever.
If it ever happens. What the hell is Doom doing? It's been a 2 year break from the game after dropping like, 4 records in two years. He had a tracklist ready for "Three Years Later" and everything, yet the release date (July 3) passed without a peep. What's the deal?

Useff

ParticleReality said:
Rap needs more MF Doom and Ghostface killa team ups. That new album of theirs is going to be the greatest shit ever.

I doubt it'll live up to the hype if it ever comes out

HolyStar

Banned
methane47 said:
You know.. I fricking love rap and think that Rapping is one of the music genres that has the most talent (best and worst)

But I'm glad that the Rap industry is crumbling... Finally Frickin emo kids and heavy metal heads can get off our collective [censored] and finally realize that Rap isn't causing the destruction of modern day society like some of you would SOOO like to believe...

I can't wait till Rap as an industry is largely innoculated.. And then you biotches won't have Rappers to blame for your problems any more...

Then maybe Police wont be able to blame Rappers for them not being able to solve crimes

Well, during the 90s, the FBI wanted to shut down NWA. Why do you think they broke up? Because Easy-E is a greedy asshole, well maybe that, and the fact that people were shooting up police officers because of their songs (it really did happen btw)

Jacobi

Banned
ParticleReality said:
It still isn't out yet ? LOL, they should call it "Doom Nukem Forever"...

@Topic: I don't know... IMO commercial rap music mostly sucks, but that's just my taste and some of the stuff is enjoyable when drunk at the club. What's interesting, how my generation grew up with songs like Michael Jackson's They Don't care about us or generally Michael Jackson, and the generation nowadays grows up with "In the Club" and "Push my button".

methane47 said:
I think commercial rap is pretty much praising capitalism, I'd daresay it's capitalism propaganda. Where did the story-driven music videos go... It's just showing off with cars nowadays, so uninspiring...

Flock

Guys, hip hop can never die..
20050126+25+w1.jpg

Because WU is forever.

DaMan121

Just as an example, I love to listen to RHCP and 50 Cent while in my car, both have mainstream songs that are just as disposable, but Ive bought every RHCP album since Blood Sugar, and Ive only bought 50s first, and will most likely never buy any of his albums again. Touring helps rock groups enormously as well, as they have a tangible relationship with their fans, that most hip hop artists don't - then again, theres not that many rapers I would actually like to see live anyway.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ElectricBlue187 said:
and are no longer teenagers?

(bingo)

My wife won't tolerate it = I don't listen to it anymore.

That being said, Puff Daddy's profiting off of Biggie's death (although I fucking loved it) was the beginning of the end. It went from gangsta to bling, and then there was eminem, and then ....

It died. Or as that schmuck in the NFL thread would say, "you was dead."

HolyStar

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
The second he comes out of retirement, 50 will be meaningless anyways.

Eminem's presence on the rap market is worth a LOT.

It really is, Eminem(as well as Elvis and a few others) are people who really made a particular music genre accesable to white people (and it doesn't hurt that they are really good). Really, I don't want to offend anyone, but I just don't think that any music genre can be truly mainstream if it doesn't have any white artists.

Fusebox

Banned
Time are bang on the money. I saw Nas 'live' on MTV the other night and it was absolutely woeful. He mumbled about how awesome he is over the top of the same beat for about an hour and for that he probably got another fleet of Humvees. Seriously shameful stuff.

HolyStar

Banned
Fusebox said:
Time are bang on the money. I saw Nas 'live' on MTV the other night and it was absolutely woeful. He mumbled about how awesome he is over the top of the same beat for about an hour and for that he probably got another fleet of Humvees. Seriously shameful stuff.

Hey, Nas is the philosophical gansta. He is intellectual without being a nerd, and gansta without being 50. The perfect blend.

HolyStar

Banned
Fusebox said:
But can someone truly be considered philosophical if they wear their jeans around their knees?

Listen to his works. Listen to Illmatic (which is like one of the best albums ever made period). Listen to some of his stuff like "If I ruled the world" or "my country"(so beutiful) or "one mic", you know what, listen to both Illmatic and Stillmatic and tell me if he isn't smart.

methane47

HolyStar said:
Well, during the 90s, the FBI wanted to shut down NWA. Why do you think they broke up? Because Easy-E is a greedy asshole, well maybe that, and the fact that people were shooting up police officers because of their songs (it really did happen btw)

ALLL OF RAP is responsible for downfall of society CONFIRMED because HolyStar gave one example!!!

not like Jazz or Rock and Roll or Heavy Metal ... Or tickle me Elmo's ever caused a death or something

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Man rap sucks. We need a hundred boring backpacker emcees to save us from the drivel that MTV churns out. But really there hasn't been any hugely popular mainstream rap artists in a while.

I'm going to just go listen to some more Young Jeezy. More rappers need to sell blow and rap about Evisu jeans.

HolyStar

Banned
methane47 said:
ALLL OF RAP is responsible for downfall of society CONFIRMED because HolyStar gave one example!!!

No one likes a smart ass. I am just saying you shouldn't doubt the power of the streets.

methane47

HolyStar said:
No one likes a smart ass. I am just saying you shouldn't doubt the power of the streets.

i was playing :lol ... wasn't trying to be a smartypants

I was just trying to say that just because there are rap related incidents doesn't make Rap responsible.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Havoc Says "Fuck T.I." And Speaks On The South On Shade 45
In a recent interview with Sirius Radio's Shade 45 network, Havoc had some not-too-kind words to say about T.I. and the entire Southern hip-hop movement.

"Fuck T.I.," said Havoc bluntly. "I'm not trying to hate on him, because he's definitely in my list, he's a good artist. I love him to death as an artist, but he can't fuck with M.O.B.B. Anybody down there can't fuck with M.O.B.B.," he added.

The host then asked Hav if he meant the entire South by "anybody down there".

"I ain't got no problem with the South, but them niggas need to get off their own dick," said Hav. "I'm not shittin on the South, Atlanta, Georgia, where ever you want to go. But dont get on your own dick so fast, because everything can be taken away."

Havoc stated that his main problem with the region was that the New York gets no love down South, but the South gets plenty of love in New York.

"This is where it started, this is where it's going to end," said Hav. "It might not be here now, but it going to be here, you feel me?"

The host of the New York based radio show made fun of Southern songs like "Wipe Me Down", "Walk It Out", "Ay Bay Bay", saying that grown men should not be making this kind of music.

Most callers more or less agreed with Havoc's stance on the issue. One fan from Los Angeles chimed in with this little anecdote: "We need that fuckin' gay music to separate the gangstas from the gay motherfuckers"

In other news, Havoc is set to release his new album, The Kush, September 18th on Nature Sounds. - Pizzo

NEW Rap Sucks, along with the "artists" that are heading up them.

OLD Rap kicked arse. It was filled with TALENT 1st and Foremost.....and that's what's killing current rap: NO TALENT HACKS getting the limelight, drowning the entire industry with stuff that only helps kill the genre.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
narcosis219 said:
Rap sucks. Sorry. Save for a handful of good ones, Rap sucks. Sorry.
You're wrong. Sorry. Only a handful of musicians in any/all genres are worthwhile. The "lol more like crap!!!!1" attitude is terribly ignorant and short sighted. Just because you haven't heard good rap and all you've heard is tripe like MIMS doesn't mean that there isn't good rap.

The only more ignorant opinion is "lol only good music is from the 70s and corny prog metal." But that's for another thread.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Lambtron said:
You're wrong. Sorry. Only a handful of musicians in any/all genres are worthwhile. The "lol more like crap!!!!1" attitude is terribly ignorant and short sighted. Just because you haven't heard good rap and all you've heard is tripe like MIMS doesn't mean that there isn't good rap.

The only more ignorant opinion is "lol only good music is from the 70s and corny prog metal." But that's for another thread.

Yes. Thank you. It can't be said enough. I :lol @ anyone that can't get that in their heads.

Its like, "bu..bu..but, older rap was the greatest!" Has anyone actually listened to the lyrics? The new rappers are rapping about the same damn thing, and often times, using the same damned lyrics as the old ones. There is a quote along the lines of, "every story has been told, but, its how you tell it that sets it apart", and it applies. People have been singing the same songs over and over again, and haven't really advanced. I must have been the only one that listened to Big L, and turn on the radio, and here emcees trying to spit the same stuff he did. Its astonishing how rosetinted the glasses of some people are. Party songs have always existed, in music...period. Look at a history book.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
narcosis219 said:
Rap sucks. Sorry. Save for a handful of good ones, Rap sucks. Sorry.

Hi my opinion is better than yours sorry..

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Mr. Spinnington said:
I can't wait for a RUSH comeback. You guys don't believe me, but it's them or motherfucking Justice.

I'd listen to Justice all day before I'd listen to one Rush song. And I don't even like Justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom