• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME says rap music sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone please quickly obtain this album by any means necessary, and try to say that hip-hop sucks. Hip-hop doesn't suck, just the stuff you hear sucks.

illmatic.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
War Machine said:
Everyone please quickly obtain this album by any means necessary, and try to say that hip-hop sucks. Hip-hop doesn't suck, just the stuff you hear sucks.

illmatic.jpg

/agrees /close thread pls

Shazapp

Rap -- in its current state -- needs to be swept away like hair metal was swept away by Nirvana. We need another year like 1991.

Not saying there aren't good rap/hip-hop artists anymore, but the genre as a whole is imploding.

The radio is a joke. Pop music in general sucks harder now than ever.

Who will save us?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Popular rap needs honesty. And it needs to be more human. It's lost touch with the people.

Nabs

People are blaming rap when its the music industry as a whole. this includes viacom and clear channel. they are controlling what we hear, and in turn, what is made. they wont sign an artist unless he is able to make a popular ringtone... this is not hip-hops fault, this is all thanks to the suits.

if anyone wants to attack the music, please listen to something other than what radio and television feeds you. the industry is corrupted, which brings the whole "hiphop is dead" argument to life.

there is plenty of great hip-hop music out there.

Nabs said:
People are blaming rap when its the music industry as a whole. this includes viacom and clear channel. they are controlling what we hear, and in turn, what is made. they wont sign an artist unless he is able to make a popular ringtone... this is not hip-hops fault, this is all thanks to the suits.

if anyone wants to attack the music, please listen to something other than what radio and television feeds you. the industry is corrupted, which brings the whole "hiphop is dead" argument to life.

there is plenty of great hip-hop music out there.
Quality post right here.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Rap is really hit-or-miss with me. I like some hyphy, screwed and chopped, dirty south stuff, I'm kinda sick of NY hiphop, it's too overplayed here.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PantherLotus said:
(bingo)

My wife won't tolerate it = I don't listen to it anymore.

That being said, Puff Daddy's profiting off of Biggie's death (although I fucking loved it) was the beginning of the end. It went from gangsta to bling, and then there was eminem, and then ....

It died. Or as that schmuck in the NFL thread would say, "you was dead."

I hate when people say this. They give Eminem so much damn credit it's crazy. One white guy that has good skills and sells records is now the savior of rap.

Between Biggie dying and Em getting big was DMX, Jay-Z, Ja Rule, Wu-Tang, Eve, Nas, Outkast, No Limit, etc.

There were plenty of rappers doing it big and also being mainstream. Every single one of those artist above were mainstream, but pure quality.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Eric P said:
isn't that just a self imposed attempt to forge an identity based on location?

kind of like that crunk/dirty south sound too, and we all know how that turned out.

mckmas8808 said:
I hate when people say this. They give Eminem so much damn credit it's crazy. One white guy that has good skills and sells records is now the savior of rap.

Between Biggie dying and Em getting big was DMX, Jay-Z, Ja Rule, Wu-Tang, Eve, Nas, Outkast, No Limit, etc.

There were plenty of rappers doing it big and also being mainstream. Every single one of those artist above were mainstream, but pure quality.

Were you not around in 1999?

Eminem may be given too much credit but at the time, the big sellers was Cash Money, Ruff Ryders, No Limit, and Bad Boy. New albums would come out from these artists frequently that rarely differed from the previous month's record release. I believe Master P even had a policy of releasing a new album every two weeks.

Rap was worse then than it is now. Eminem, Dr. Dre, and a handful of others completely changed the way the industry was moving. If it wasn't for them, last week we'd probably seen the 700th No Limit album released. Eminem was just the front sales runner but I think anyone who mentions Eminem would give credit to Dr. Dre, Jay-Z, etc.

I think you are missing the point as to why rap even sells in the first place.

If you were to eliminate the fantasy from it, the genre would be KO'd almost instantly.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
sp0rsk said:
Whether or not you think the music has changed, the people who listen to it obviously have.

well I don't feel so... some artist are worse than others, but there have and always will be those types of artist in all types of music from hard rock to jazz...

Master Z

I said TOO much fantasy. The superthug/pimp fiasco is getting really old now and people are starting to wake up and see just how stupid it really is...

Blackace said:
has that changed since 1992?

Yes. Artists nowadays are more dissconnected from the listeners than ever before. Where's the artists like Souls of Mischief or Jeru Tha Damaja on the radio and MTV? What happened to just chillin to good music or actually using your brain? Why do all the (mainstream) artists these days have massive chips on their shoulders like they have to prove to the world all the time just how gangster or pimp they are?

Blackace

Master Z said:
I said TOO much fantasy. The superthug/pimp fiasco is getting really old now and people are starting to wake up and see just how stupid it really is...

Yes. Artists nowadays are more dissconnected from the listeners than ever before. Where's the artists like Souls of Mischief or Jeru Tha Damaja on the radio and MTV? What happened to just chillin to good music or actually using your brain? Why do all the (mainstream) artists these days have massive chips on their shoulders like they have to prove to the world all the time just how gangster or pimp they are?

so Spice 1 and the Geto Boys weren't outselling Jeru in 1991 and 1992? just asking..

Master Z

Blackace said:
so Spice 1 and the Geto Boys weren't outselling Jeru in 1991 and 1992? just asking..

But Spice 1 and Geto Boyz actually made some good music. Their music wasn't full of fluff like most stuff that comes out today in the same vein...anyways I could still turn on the radio back then and hear Jeru...

Blackace

Master Z said:
But Spice 1 and Geto Boyz actually made some good music. Their music wasn't full of fluff like most stuff that comes out today in the same vein...anyways I could still turn on the radio back then and hear Jeru...

yeah Bushwick Bill was in touch with the people...

And Spice he was real.. killed roughly 1.5 million people of his career... but was real..

Master Z

Lol yeah Bushwick Bill was a character but Geto Boyz had Scarface, who still IMO is the best overall rapper to ever come from the south, that dude was a poet and painted pictures with his words man. Flava Flav was an exbuberent character but that didn't all of a sudden discredit Chuck -D or something. I guess the way I see it is most of these artists these days are like Bushwick Bills without the Scarface, if you know what I'm saying...

Blackace

Master Z said:
Lol yeah Bushwick Bill was a character but Geto Boyz had Scarface, who still IMO is the best overall rapper to ever come from the south, that dude was a poet and painted pictures with his words man. Flava Flav was an exbuberent character but that didn't all of a sudden discredit Chuck -D or something. I guess the way I see it is most of these artists these days are like Bushwick Bills without the Scarface, if you know what I'm saying...

not completely disagreeing.. but really a lot of modern hip-hop is anger.. and if you aren't with the movement... aren't feeling the anger of the the streets, all hip-hop will suck to you, expect what you did feel..

(also Scarface is dope but 8ball and MJG are the south finest.. just saying :p)

mckmas8808

The Experiment said:
Were you not around in 1999?

Eminem may be given too much credit but at the time, the big sellers was Cash Money, Ruff Ryders, No Limit, and Bad Boy. New albums would come out from these artists frequently that rarely differed from the previous month's record release. I believe Master P even had a policy of releasing a new album every two weeks.

Rap was worse then than it is now. Eminem, Dr. Dre, and a handful of others completely changed the way the industry was moving. If it wasn't for them, last week we'd probably seen the 700th No Limit album released. Eminem was just the front sales runner but I think anyone who mentions Eminem would give credit to Dr. Dre, Jay-Z, etc.

That's my point. Em was the sales leader but we really know why. Like you said that Dre was the bigger reason why people even cared about an Eminem.

But at the time No Limit was good for the industry. Their music sold and they helped the South get to where they are today. That's a good thing.

Blackace

mckmas8808 said:
That's my point. Em was the sales leader but we really know why. Like you said that Dre was the bigger reason why people even cared about an Eminem.

But at the time No Limit was good for the industry. Their music sold and they helped the South get to where they are today. That's a good thing.
was a huge NoLimit fan back in the day... beats by the pound was off the chain

mckmas8808

Blackace said:
not completely disagreeing.. but really a lot of modern hip-hop is anger.. and if you aren't with the movement... aren't feeling the anger of the the streets, all hip-hop will suck to you, expect what you did feel..

NO YOU ARE WRONG!!!! Damn why is it so hard for people to understand that the rap music that's getting spins today on the radio are not angry songs at all.

They are dance and party songs. Mainstream hip-hop has lost it's end. It use to be about being creative and different from the next man. Now it's about what dance can I make up with my song. Or what with the girls dance to next.

In the 90s you had Snoop and Dre in the West selling big but were mainstream. Jay, Nas, Wu, DMX, and plenty of other East Coast rappers selling big but were mainstream. In the South you had Outkast, Cash Money, No Limit, etc selling big but were mainstream.

So the question really should be for the execs, WHAT HAPPENED!?!?! What happened (and somebody has already said it earlier in this thread) is most mainstream rap today is disposible. DMX's It's Dark and Hell is Hot CD wasn't disposible. He didn't have just 1 or 2 hot songs. Eminem didn't have 1 video that was on the radio with a CD full of fluff.

Today it's different. Like how the hell is Plies? He's the guy with a hit rap song that comes on the radio every 30 minutes. But is Plies' CD any good? Is anybody checking for this man's CD? HELL NO!

Blackace

mckmas8808 said:
NO YOU ARE WRONG!!!! Damn why is it so hard for people to understand that the rap music that's getting spins today on the radio are not angry songs at all.

They are dance and party songs. Mainstream hip-hop has lost it's end. It use to be about being creative and different from the next man. Now it's about what dance can I make up with my song. Or what with the girls dance to next.

In the 90s you had Snoop and Dre in the West selling big but were mainstream. Jay, Nas, Wu, DMX, and plenty of other East Coast rappers selling big but were mainstream. In the South you had Outkast, Cash Money, No Limit, etc selling big but were mainstream.

So the question really should be for the execs, WHAT HAPPENED!?!?! What happened (and somebody has already said it earlier in this thread) is most mainstream rap today is disposible. DMX's It's Dark and Hell is Hot CD wasn't disposible. He didn't have just 1 or 2 hot songs. Eminem didn't have 1 video that was on the radio with a CD full of fluff.

Today it's different. Like how the hell is Plies? He's the guy with a hit rap song that comes on the radio every 30 minutes. But is Plies' CD any good? Is anybody checking for this man's CD? HELL NO!

No, from almost the start of rap, Kurtis Blow, Run DMC and so on, rap has indeed been about struggle, much like blues, how is that wrong?

When rap broke from that and became dancing and smiling... it became mainstream...

Master Z

Blackace said:

I guess I just miss the creativity. Wu Tang were aggressive and angry but they came with a style and distinction that made it interesting. Most artists these days just look like carbon copies of each other...to me a Young Jeezy, Lil' Wayne and 50 Cent are all interchangable. They all pretty much derive themselves from the same tired archetype...

Blackace

Master Z said:
I guess I just miss the creativity. Wu Tang were aggressive and angry but they came with a style and distinction that made it interesting. Most artists these days just look like carbon copies of each other...to me a Young Jeezy, Lil' Wayne and 50 Cent are all interchangable. They all pretty much derive themselves from the same tired archetype...

many these days suck... no doubt.. but when the west was on top there were many Eazy, Snoop, Spice wannabes..

mckmas8808

Blackace said:
No, from almost the start of rap, Kurtis Blow, Run DMC and so on, rap has indeed been about struggle, much like blues, how is that wrong?

When rap broke from that and became dancing and smiling... it became mainstream...

I'm saying you were wrong in thinking that today's leading rap is about the struggle and realities of life.

And you are right with your most recent post in saying that the dancing and smiling songs is what helped rap get into the position it's in now. The suits (a.k.a. executives) have decided that music of that caliber is more important that music that Common makes.

Common sales 150,000 first week and the execs don't give a damn. They don't push the album hard enough. But MIMS makes one hot song and it gets 4 billion spins and ringtone downloads. And the execs put made money into pushing that one single.

WHY?!?!

Master Z

Blackace said:
many these days suck... no doubt.. but when the west was on top there were many Eazy, Snoop, Spice wannabes..

Yeah, there will always be wannabes but the problem for me is that these days, atleast on the East Coast the wannabes are on top, whereas back in those days An Eazy-E, Snoop or Wu Tang wannabe was kept in check...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

WTFing

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

All the mcs you are talking about ,their 1st album was the bomb. Maybe their 2nd too, but how is their 3rd one? Of course there are exceptions, but for me you can't do good hiphop music if you are not starving. You need the anger. How can you be angry when your only problem is the weight of your chain or the size of your 5th villa? Impossible.

Besides that the kind of guys you are talking about in your last sentence (I don't know him), are just products, that's why their albums are non-albums ;) This is not hip hop, this is just music for clubs.

I was looking at this clip for the 999999th time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQieA85arg
Look at how is dressed and even how he move and how he rap, you can see that this man needs money (2nd LP). He's one of my favourite of all time, and sure that i'll be listening to liquid sword 10 years from now, but I know that nor him or his friends will give us another album like this. I respect and love them, they contributed to this world music, they did their job, I can't ask for more.
Also there is no hiphop on the radio or tv, my sources are my friends, record dealers and internet.
Edit: DaCocoBrova, I wanted to post his album (bodega chronicles) on the hiphop thread you beat me :D

Bugnology said:
Of course there are exceptions, but for me you can't do good hiphop music if you are not starving. You need the anger. How can you be angry when your only problem is the weight of your chain or the size of your 5th villa? Impossible.

This has always hit a nerve with me. You could argue the same thing with an initially rebellious music like punk.

It's very hard to maintain careers and music based on alienation whether perceived or real. When I listen to the rappers talking about how much sex, money, toughness, they have I'm bored. I've been hearing the same stuff for almost 30 years now in rap. It's tired.

Then you have the anger crowd who talks about street life even though they are millionaires many times over. Why would I listen to 50 cent (period really but for this point) rap about hard times when the dude won't ever have to worry about hard times ever again? It's not even sort of third person-ish like in the blues where you can imagine he's talking about other people and identifying with their struggle.

Rap Music needed to diversify its mainstream appeal a long time ago. Instead it's very niche music right now. The stuff people love to sight as artistic nobody listens too. They are all listening to the shit. You need mainstream stuff that has diversity and rap has none of that for various reasons.

I outgrew rap a long time ago and if rap wants to have a diverse audience it has to capture people like me who think it sucks now.

mckmas8808 said:

No Limit made people pay attention about what was coming out of the South and New Orleans in particular. Other than that, they were terrible. Even cornier than "Chicken Little Soup", it was so cookie cutter and unoriginal that sometimes I even forgot what I had in my CD player: Mystikal or Kane and Abel. C-Murder maybe?

Rap was much worse 10 years ago because it depended entirely on labels. G-Unit tried to resurrect that very idea but you can go by the sales of the second batch of G-Unit CDs to see that the label idea flopped after about a year.

B.G. and Mac (still in prison) were the only good things to come from No Limit and Cash Money. Yes, I think Lil Wayne sucks and I am confused as to why there is so much hype around him.

All the mcs you are talking about ,their 1st album was the bomb. Maybe their 2nd too, but how is their 3rd one? Of course there are exceptions, but for me you can't do good hiphop music if you are not starving. You need the anger. How can you be angry when your only problem is the weight of your chain or the size of your 5th villa? Impossible.

I agree. Rap works best when you are hungry and at the bottom. Eminem was very good and when he came out on top and shamed the critics, he started to turn mediocre. 50 Cent was much better before Get Rich. T.I. was far better during the I'm Serious days than he was with King.

Its the fantasy aspect that drives people to buy those records.

Music is a popular form of escape. Most rap albums sell to suburban white kids, like myself. Why do we get into it? Its a thrilling experience, far more interesting than the vanilla and boring drudgery of white suburbia. So if we hear 50 Cent rapping about he was getting a blow from a girl while shooting some punk in the face, its far more interesting than anything that we have experienced in life.

The kind of life where sagging your pants is some kind of controversy in the neighborhood, its really easy to sell fantasy rap to this audience. That and the beats.

That is to tap into the female consumer base. I don't think we'll be seeing girls run up and buy GZA and Common albums (I'm waiting for the anecdotal references to prove me wrong). Executives know that girls like cell phones and like to dance. Hence, they started putting more danceable and ringtone-easy tracks to get money.

Not to bring it to consoles but its the same thing as Nintendo moving from Mario/Zelda/Metroid to Brain Age/Nintendogs/Wii Fit. Its just about expanding the profitability.

That isn't to say that I think women are the fault of the failure of mainstream rap but it does play a considerable role that cannot be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom