• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletcher

I'm so glad this movie is not only doing well, but is being well received, too. Can't wait for more GotG and fully on board with what Marvel is doing in the film world.

Hahahahaha this is great!

The funny part is, even though this movie is pretty "out there" with it's sci-fi stuff casual and wives and stuff are eating this shit up because it's genuine and funny.

Once world of mouth hits this weekend look out.

That's not even the right version

at2OLtT.jpg

The second best vance astro there is!

Vance_Astrovik.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Marketing makes or breaks your giant popcorn movie these days. A lot of people are still arguing about what they think is the inherent but subjective appeal of a movie.

But the comparison to Pacific Rim and Scott Pilgrim for instance - I always felt those two movies did not have marketing that made them look cool for the mainstream. They were too focused on hyping up people who would already go and see the films.

Meanwhile, everything I saw for GotG made the film look super accessible and like a fun party. I know people who don't see every Marvel film and don't follow the MCU as a shared universe, who had their butts in the seat on day one. Why? Because the movie has gained a rep as fun and cool. Marvel Studios marketing team still has their finger on the mainstream pulse, it seems.

Jarmel

Banned
I would also say almost nobody expected GotG to have one of the, if not possiblly the, highest Marvel movie RT scores.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Damn even expert Things Analyst shuri misjudged this one.

Well I wasn't necessarily wrong about nobody hearing about the team before but whatever I'll eat crow on this. Yea I wouldn't have dreamed that this would do anywhere near this well.

Then again, this has been a completely dead year for summer blockbusters so I'm not that surprised that GotG did this well in the drought.

Though I haven't seen all of them and can't speak to quality, I think the drought talk is nonsense. Financially no one has broken past $300 mil, but when did movie goes start lumping that in with "enjoyment"?

Start with or without Cap 2 and you've got ASM2, Neighbors, Godzilla, X-Men, Malificent, The Fault in Our Stars, Edge of Tomorrow, 22 Jump Street, Dragon 2, Bayformers 4, Apes 2, Lucy, and now Guardians.

Jarmel

Banned
It's tied with The Avengers

Yea but it can go up or down as there are reviews still coming in. It would be better to check in after a month.

Though I haven't seen all of them and can't speak to quality, I think the drought talk is nonsense. Financially no one has broken past $300 mil, but when did movie goes start lumping that in with "enjoyment"?

Start with or without Cap 2 and you've got ASM2, Neighbors, Godzilla, X-Men, Malificent, The Fault in Our Stars, Edge of Tomorrow, 22 Jump Street, Dragon 2, Bayformers 4, Apes 2, Lucy, and now Guardians.

A number of those really underperformed and others were really nailed against the wall critically. ASM2, Edge, and Dragon all underperformed.

Kain

Damn, I didn't know we could make crow threads anymore. I totally should make my "eat crow folks who said Kinect would never be removed from XBO package people" thread :(

You should totally do it, man, that sounds great.

Anyway, this movie always seemed like great fun, it shouldn't be a surprise it delivers.

its actually an EXCELLENT year for blockbusters. Quantity and quality. The only issue is that there might be TOO many legitimately good blockbuster films released this year, stealing marketshare from each other.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Crows are highly intelligent creatures, we shouldn't be eating this many.

Son Of D

What's the Bayonetta 2 potential shame, out of curiosity? People saying it will sell well and that they are going to be wrong?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42088136&postcount=2451

Also gave us this classic:

they have so many franchises people want sequels for years now,why not making a new starfox,super metroid or mario 64-2

why do they have to steal our games?and that's exactly what they do,taking a beloved 3rd party franchise and making it exclusive so others can't play it is stealing

wildfire

Banned
I don't see why you are calling out Hawkian. He/She doesn't need to crow for their statement about finding a rumor at the time unbelievable. That person was clearly looking forward to the movie.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This is a good thread.

I had no real opinions on this either way because I like to actually wait and see before bashing or throwing out terms like "trainwreck" or "mess," let alone predict box office numbers. It's a Marvel movie and those have gained serious momentum and have pretty good forecasts so I certainly didn't write it off on those merits alone.

gutshot

So I guess this means there is no chance this endless stream of shitty comic book movies will ever stop? Great.

I was wrong. I thought this was some supreme nerd shit reminicent of a bad 90s sci fi blockbuster; all it was missing was a Will Smith song.

As I said a few days ago, I nixed plans to argue Ant Man was going to bomb. Clearly Marvel knows what they're doing...

I had no real opinions on this either way because I like to actually wait and see before bashing or throwing out terms like "trainwreck" or "mess," let alone predict box office numbers. It's a Marvel movie and those have gained serious momentum and have pretty good forecasts so I certainly didn't write it off on those merits alone.

Tell me about it. You may not like the way they do business, but you can't deny they are consistently putting out some shockingly good movies, considering the source material.

I wonder if someday we'll be talking about the MCU films the way people do about Pixar's early output.

Jarmel

Banned
Tell me about it. You may not like the way they do business, but you can't deny they are consistently putting out some shockingly good movies, considering the source material.

I wonder if someday we'll be talking about the MCU films the way people do about Pixar's early output.

Hopefully not as it would imply that the films are shitty down the road.

gutshot

Seriously? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom