• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timed-exclusivity and Cross gen games.

RCU005

I think many people got excited when Sony's boss said "We believe in generations" after there was disappointment regarding Xbox games reveal. Then, everyone got disappointed that when the truth came out and it was all a lie. IMO, the game that hurt the most (the only one?) was Horizon: Forbidden West -although it's very likely that God of War sequel will also be cross-gen-.

However, after all this backlash, I noticed something in this video uploaded yesterday by PlayStation:

Every game has a note about timed exclusivity and cross-gen availability when apply. I think this transparency is great. I don't seem to recall that been done before. Of course there are games that we know are timed-exclusive but not all say exactly how much time. God fall footage even has an exact date.

Cross-gen games are not going to last long anyway. I don't believe many of the most important games will still be released on PS4 after 2021. The clarity on time-exclusivity is great though. Project Athia was announced as PS5 only, then they made a mistake and revealed that it was also coming to PC, but in this trailer it says that it has a 24 month exclusivity, which I think it wasn't said before.

So all in all, I think this is great. Transparency is always great. There are games that you maybe not super interested to buy right away, so you could wait and buy it on the other console, and it's great that you can know the time-frame. Of course, the other way around sucks, because either you buy the console the game is on, or you have to wait.

Q: What happened to "we believe in generations?"

A: Loose Lips Ryan

/fin

(it's a good thing for all PS owners that most games will be available on PS4 for the next couple years)

Q: What happened to "we believe in generations?"

A: Loose Lips Ryan

/fin

(it's a good thing for all PS owners that most games will be available on PS4 for the next couple years)

There are current-gen-only and cross-gen games.

Demon's Souls, Asyro's Playroom, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy XVI, Godfall, Destruction All-Stars, Project Athia, Returnal are PS5 exclusives (full or timed/not on PS4).

Miles Morales, Horizon: Forbidden West, Sackboy, Bugsnax, The Pathless, Kena are PS4/PS5.

God of War is suspected to be PS5-only, but that has not be confirmed.

Top Bottom