• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

When Ben Ellman, 26, moved to NYC in 2015 and fired up his Tinder and OkCupid profiles, he was expecting to meet a bevy of compatible women. Instead, the 5-foot-9 journalist was swiped left by matches because of his height — or lack thereof.

“It seems like all the women online were going for guys 6-foot-1 and above,” Ellman, who lives in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, tells The Post. He estimates that for every 50 women he expressed interest in, only one would swipe right on him. “People can feel worse when using Tinder because it’s such a meritocracy for hot people … People swipe left or right based on your profile picture, and that can make you feel bad about yourself.”

He’s not the only one who faced a drop in confidence after using Tinder. A new survey at the University of North Texas found that singles who used Tinder are more likely to have lower self-esteem and feel unhappy about their looks than non-dating-app users. When it came to gender, male Tinder users reported lower self-esteem than females.

The study’s co-author, Jessica Strubel, says this gender imbalance could be due to a numbers game.

“We don’t know causality of these results, but one possible factor is that there are more male Tinder users than female Tinder users,” Strubel, an assistant professor at the university, tells The Post. “Men also swipe right more than women, so they face rejection more often, which could affect their self-esteem.”

http://nypost.com/2016/08/10/tinder-is-destroying-mens-self-esteem/

More men use social media dating apps, hence the power dynamics shifts. The Ashley Madison hack showed this well too, with most profiles being fake or men.

However, as Date-Onomics describes, college educated women are having harder time finding compatible long term partners--not sex.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/b...ics-the-sex-myth-and-modern-romance.html?_r=0

Very interesting dating times indeed.

Bleepey

Tale as old as time, online is stacked against you if your male. I suppose it makes up for the fact you don't have to worry about there being a time limit on your fertility.

Mendrox

Stop putting your height into your profile then and you won't have any problems except for bad pictures which you should get help from your friends from. There will be matches.

Audioboxer

Meh, most of these dating apps are nothing more than glorified appearance ratings and/or literally just "who I'd like to fuck, personality need not apply".

You need a balance and to still do meeting the old fashioned way, in person, around friends, etc. The only issue here is younger generations as we already know are becoming anti-social social media fiends.

Also remember 95% of photos on social media are curated as carefully as you'd shave your balls with a straight razor. Everyone is in good lighting, good hair day, good pose and so forth. Literally the top picture picked every time. As you'd expect people to do, just saying though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tinder specifically is like this cause of its setup. It's free and quick nature to run through the app means people just make quick surface judgements and then on to the next one.

I think this would be less on an issue on a site like Match or something.

I might be wrong though.

entremet

well yeah tinder especially is the epitome of shallow dating.

It's an age thing. At his age (mid 20s) most of the women in his age cohort are on Tinder.

The other dating sites tend to skew older in my experience.

But you're right, Tinder isn't the best app if you're average looking as a guy. If you're handsome you can clean up.

Tinder specifically is like this cause of its setup. It's free and quick nature to run through the app means people just make quick surface judgements and then on to the next one.

I think this would be less on an issue on a site like Match or something.

I might be wrong though.

Match skews much older. It's a pay for service.

I wish I wasn't short :( 5'9. I've legit heard girls I know say guys under 6 feet aren't appealing. I nearly yelled at one of them who said guys under 6'2 need to hit the gym and get taller. Like what the fuck.

I always thought the whole height thing was exaggerated. Im 5'11. Thank fuck im engaged. I couldn't be dealing with that bullshit.

I wish I wasn't short :( 5'9. I've legit heard girls I know say guys under 6 feet aren't appealing. I nearly yelled at one of them who said guys under 6'2 need to hit the gym and get taller. Like what the fuck.

lol wut?

As someone who is 5'9 and comfortable with it, I'd prefer such picky women to swipe left anyway.

Also I imagine most of them would not even notice if his height werent listed and they met.

Kayhan

The average male American mens height is 177 cm, which is 69.7 inches, which is approximately 5 foot – 10 inches tall.

“It seems like all the women online were going for guys 6-foot-1 and above,”

So I guess the average American man is too short for these ladies.

The internet in general has been hard on anyyone who isn't particularly attractive or visually appealing. Even people who would date you in the past now hold out for something or someone better.

Good or bad my wife doesn't understand women that date men shorter than them. I can't help but laugh at or with her. I can't decide which.

1 in 50 is a pretty good ratio for both tinder and bumble. Even then, maybe 1 or 2 out of 5 matches will lead to a productive conversation. It's a volume game: tinder realized this and put in swipe limits behind a paywall, Bumble went the opposite way and imposed time limits on conversation initiation.

If you go in with the mindset that everyone you swipe right on might be the one, of course it's gonna be heartbreaking. I have hundreds of matches on tinder but that's out of thousands of swipes.

Both apps skew heavily towards physical attraction, and better looking people will gravitate towards one another, no matter what they have in their profiles. So if you don't have nice photographs or you're more of a get-to-know-me type, you're better off using OK cupid, Match, or Coffee Meets Bagel.

Hypron

Yeah man, once you get some swole as sole muscles you'll gain those inches.

Tbh this whole "males under 6' need not apply" seem so stupid to me. I'm almost exactly 6' and I'm taller than most people I meet. Having such ridiculous standards would reduce your dating pool drastically unless you lived in the Netherlands or something.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Never used tinder in my life but after a string of first dates with very attractive ladies that have lead to nowhere I've certainly become much more self conscious about my looks, or more accurately about how brutal first impressions can be.

magnetic

Well, be glad that you can sort out the shallow assholes this way.

Not just men i think. I only keep hearing awful stories about Tinder people.
Depressing shallow stuff.

I am seriously happy that i met my girlfriend the old fashioned way.

If you hear those conversations between people while they are swiping other people casually into insignificance.. it's horrible.

weekev

Banned
I'm 5'7" I'd be lost if my wife ever decided she didn't dig short guys any more. Stories like this makes me realise how lucky I am.

It isn't even about height. It's the fact that any woman who swipes like most likely gets a match. They can pick and choose because there's probably a lot more men on any dating thing than women. I recently stopped bothering (as you can tell) because it's nonsense. Not short, fit, handsome, but online dating is riddled with "games" and it isn't worth it. It genuinely made my self esteem drop.

Pick it up, delete the apps, and without sounding like a dick...go out (not alone though, jesus)

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
When I saw a female coworker swiping through tinder, making judgements on guys within a couple of seconds of seeing their profiles, i thought 'thank god I'm married'

eggandI

Banned
Have no clue why someone would go through the trouble of online dating when it's so easy to meet women IRL if you live in or near any decent sized city.

guek

Banned

Be fuckin' grateful, bro! Seriously, 5'9'' isn't short, it's average. Try dating while 5'6'' like me, it's a shit show and a half. Add not being white into the mix and I'm still occasionally shocked at the fact that I'm happily married after so many years of rejections.

entremet

They're saying that now. But everyone settles eventually. When you're young and hot, you can have your pick of the litter.

I wouldn't sweat it.

I've seen this with many females friends of mine over the years. Ridiculously high standards when they were younger and they reality hits and they settle.

Dudes need to learn to use more avenues than online dating alone or use the appropriate services.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Not just men i think. I only keep hearing awful stories about Tinder people.
Depressing shallow stuff.

I am seriously happy that i met my girlfriend the old fashioned way.

If you hear those conversations between people while they are swiping other people casually into insignificance.. it's horrible.
It's basically the same phenomenon people have witnessed and heavily discussed with regard to conversation and manners on forums. When you have geographical distance and anonymity protecting you, and you also can't see the other person's reaction to your words, you're more likely to be disrespectful.

entremet

Does it have the same effect all genders?

It's right in the OP, bro lol.

He’s not the only one who faced a drop in confidence after using Tinder. A new survey at the University of North Texas found that singles who used Tinder are more likely to have lower self-esteem and feel unhappy about their looks than non-dating-app users. When it came to gender, male Tinder users reported lower self-esteem than females.

Lebron

I'm the same height and got plenty of interested parties before I met my GF through it (Okcupid).

Height has jack all to do with it. Being ugly or lame though....

Zaru

They're saying that now. But everyone settles eventually. When you're young and hot, you can have your pick of the litter.

I wouldn't sweat it.

I've seen this with many females friends of mine over the years. Ridiculously high standards when they were younger and they reality hits and they settle.

You tell him not to sweat it but at that point they're neither hot nor young anymore, so what kind of consolation is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom