• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

People getting married, basically IMO around May to September.
I went to two weddings in this period, but also have one next week, and another next month. Glad I have someone to bring along now because that one wedding I attended single with all my married cousins where all they talked about were their marriages was a little awkward.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I've never heard of cuffing season but now that you mention it, that is the time when loads of people get engaged. Don't understand why, though.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I stopped taking tinder seriously, now I just put a picture of a hot dude and just keep on swiping to see how many matches I can get. Currently at 250 matches lmao.

"Catfishing is restoring men’s self-esteem (NeoGaf)"

Lol

Fairo. Must be more of an American phenomenon then.

When you google it it's actually the correlation that more women and especially more men seek relatively more often for relationships during the cold seasons instead of (summer) flings.
Not sure how scientific that study is.

I'm at the equator now. Muhaha

I onetime used tinder in my area to set up an elaborate prank. Ended up being too much work. There was like 3 girls in my area and 100s of tryhard guys all shirtless trying to show off their sixpacks or on a jetski or boat or some generic ass shit like that.

I thought you were married?
I am. I said I was setting up a prank. My wife was aware of it. Was going to make a fake profile and bait my buddy to a fake date. Ended up being too difficult to find him in that sea of dudes despite me being like 1 mile from him. Next day he announced he got a gf so my plan was cut short :(

Da-Kid

Been on tinder for about 3 months, have gotten not one match that wasn't a bot. I'm not a bad looking guy, I'm big and tall though. I think a lot of Tinder users are stuck up and have some unrealistic expectations. I've gotten a lot of attention on other dating sites, but Tinder is literally the only one I've seen zero results from. I think it all comes down to looks really. I doubt people read bios, hell most of the women I've encountered have nothing but a witty comment as their bio.

Also, Tinder seems to not believe in types as in ethnicity, and body type which I think is a major problem. I can't choose if I want my Tinder to look for BBW, Petite, Thick, Average, or Athletic. I can't choose for it to search for one or more ethnicity. Instead it's like I'm just shuffling through random cards and getting the worst hand. I like black women but Tinder makes me swipe through 15 white women until I find a black woman who turns out not to be my type.

A woman doesn't HAVE to be my type for me to be interested. 8/10 that's the case but I'd at least would like to be in a ballpark or narrow things down to where I'm getting both.

Bleepey

Been on tinder for about 3 months, have gotten not one match that wasn't a bot. I'm not a bad looking guy, I'm big and tall though. I think a lot of Tinder users are stuck up and have some unrealistic expectations. I've gotten a lot of attention on other dating sites, but Tinder is literally the only one I've seen zero results from. I think it all comes down to looks really. I doubt people read bios, hell most of the women I've encountered have nothing but a witty comment as their bio.

Also, Tinder seems to not believe in types as in ethnicity, and body type which I think is a major problem. I can't choose if I want my Tinder to look for BBW, Petite, Thick, Average, or Athletic. I can't choose for it to search for one or more ethnicity. Instead it's like I'm just shuffling through random cards and getting the worst hand. I like black women but Tinder makes me swipe through 15 white women until I find a black woman who turns out not to be my type.

A woman doesn't HAVE to be my type for me to be interested. 8/10 that's the case but I'd at least would like to be in a ballpark or narrow things down to where I'm getting both.

If you aren't swiping right at least 300 times a day you are doing it wrong.

Audioboxer

here's to another 3 days of seeing this fucking thread on page 1 again...

How is this topic 66 pages? Did it morph into some Tinder OT catch all lmao? Given your reply I fear worse. I'm certain I posted on like page 3 ridiculing the notion of this article, but 66 pages now? Damn this exploded :|

Sunster

How is this topic 66 pages? Did it morph into some Tinder OT catch all lmao. Given your reply I fear worse. I'm certain I posted on like page 3 ridiculing the notion of this article.

I've been in this shit show since day 1. Every single tinder scenario has been discussed. Every single issue with men and dating has been discussed. Height prejudice, discussed. Weight prejudice, discussed. Racism, discussed. Fetishism, explained and then discussed. Dating ethics, women's perspectives, call outs, mental gymnastics. fights, bans, we've seen it all folks! There is not one god damn thing any guy can come in here and say about how girls are mean and dating is hard that hasn't been discussed at length 10 times over. Lock. This. Fucking. Thread.

TheFlow

Banned
had a lot of success with tinder over the past couple of years.

I met my girlfriend of more than a year through tinder. <3

vypek

I've been in this shit show since day 1. Every single tinder scenario has been discussed. Every single issue with men and dating has been discussed. Height prejudice, discussed. Weight prejudice, discussed. Racism, discussed. Fetishism, explained and then discussed. Dating ethics, women's perspectives, call outs, mental gymnastics. fights, bans, we've seen it all folks! There is not one god damn thing any guy can come in here and say about how girls are mean and dating is hard that hasn't been discussed at length 10 times over. Lock. This. Fucking. Thread.

Yeah, seen every post in this thread and I'm really surprised that it got bumped the first time let alone more. I'm surprised it keeps coming back no matter how entertaining the crazy gets. I thought it would die but that will probably only happen when locked

TCKaos

After eightish months I've gotten two not-bot matches. My female best friend can get like 30 in a little over an hour.

I mean, I can't say it certainly doesn't affect my self-esteem, but fuck dude that's already kind of a low bar so it's not like I can say anything.

Exokell

Banned
I stopped taking tinder seriously, now I just put a picture of a hot dude and just keep on swiping to see how many matches I can get. Currently at 250 matches lmao.
You should've posted a pic of Meth Damon. Under the caption "I'm 6'5, a doctor, people say I look like Matt Damon".

I'm 6'6" and I don't get a lot of offers on Tinder. :( When I do get right swipes from attractive girls they mostly don't reply to my messages.

I think Tinder reduces every guy's self esteem because there are too many guys for every girl on Tinder. I bet there's like a 100 dudes for every girl. Though to be honest, I rarely use Tinder. I use it once a month or so, and even when I do I'm on for like 5 minutes. Something tells me my success rate would be a lot higher if I was on more often but I'm too lazy to spend half an hour swiping.

How'd you find out?
She told me at first she was recently divorced but after we started chilling more she came out and said they havent actually got divorced yet on account of him being difficult about it.

But he got all his shit out of the house so they arent together. Its just lagalities at this point.

we had a discussion about body hair once itt

that was pretty fun

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
After eightish months I've gotten two not-bot matches. My female best friend can get like 30 in a little over an hour.

I mean, I can't say it certainly doesn't affect my self-esteem, but fuck dude that's already kind of a low bar so it's not like I can say anything.

That's how it is for girls in all online dating apps. My friend signed up for one and got 95 messages in the first hour. So silly.

App that makes you swipe left or right based on a picture is based on looks. You think?

And the point of Tinder is that it is simple and doesn't have those filters. You already have OK Cupid for that if you want to.

Also not a lot of success for me on Tinder (I also seriously need to make some new pics however that are not years old...) but no reason to complain about it. If it works, great. If it doesn't. Fine. Nobody owes me a reaction or date or whatever on these apps.

kavanf1

You know you could just unsubscribe if it upsets you that much.

Change the photos.

KmA

I just downloaded tinder last night and I've literally swiped right on (almost) every person I saw and I have like 90ish matches and 30ish messages so far? But also I'm a young gay so I'm not really dealing with what the majority in this thread are dealing with lmao.

So I matched up with this cute mixed woman. She was wearing an Air Force uniform and I thought it was cute.

So, we exchange some pleasantries and she wants us to take it out of the app but only through KiK. I have no idea what this app is. But I install it which should've been my first alarm.

The texting is sporadic and I'm not really getting any concrete info from the woman. Normal things like sense of humor, likes, dislikes, etc.

She says she's in the Air Force, flys planes and does fitness competitions. After a few days of this back and forth, I'm getting frustrated. Just seems like I'm pulling teeth.

She then tells me she's taking a trip to the Philippines and won't be back for two weeks. Can't talk about it due to her jobs rights and rules. But she says her mom likes me. I'm a little puzzled by all this, so I decide to start doing Google fu because I think I'm either being catfished or something is off.

I look up the girl using Google image search since she never gave me her real name. A real Air Force Officer exists. She lives in Ohio and is married. I confront the chick but she's playing stupid like she's not married. And then her information isn't lining up. Like if she's on a trip to the Philippines how is she posting on IG (like on halloween in costume)?

Tinder has definitely been the most frustrating dating app I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom