• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tired of your DS4 lightbar? Come inside

Gameboy415

These won't leave a sticky residue after a while if I decided to take them off right?

I'm a bit concerned about this as well as I'm sure I'll get a few games that require the lightbar eventually.

At this point it's just a nuisance so I'm seriously considering the PS logo decals...

farisr

Ordered 2 sets from the US version, Less than $2 shipping to canada, not bad. Yeah, Light reflects like crazy on my plasma. This should help a lot and still be stylish/make it easy to identify which controller is which.

Hm, just searched for the thread I was thinking of. Seems as if I was way off.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723148

This is actually pretty bullshit.
What's bullshit is that test, as was repeatedly pointed out in that thread, and repeatedly ignored by the OP. Edit: Sorry, ignored by the guy doing the testing, who wasn't the OP after all.

Back on topic, this is a pretty cute idea, but yeah, it'll mess up any games that track the light bar. Might be okay if you inverted the design though, so only the PS/Sony logos were blacked out.

TheGamer

This is a great idea. I might have to grab some of those.

Thanks for the link, I just bought the PS logo ones. Not bad a set of 2 for $3.49
XMcDEvR.jpg

Wurdfurd

aaaaaan bought. got 2 with the ps4 logo. I dont particularly dislike the light bar (id rather disable it to save battery) but the ps4 logo looks slick on it.

Well a few posts above mention how Killzone uses it to gauge danger levels, and how Tomb Raider (badly) uses it.

Oh, then i stand corrected. I haven't played enough Killzone yet to notice and don't own Tomb Raider so it's good to hear the lights aren't just for camera tracking and player ID.

Dunlop

Oh, then i stand corrected. I haven't played enough Killzone yet to notice and don't own Tomb Raider so it's good to hear the lights aren't just for camera tracking and player ID.

It's pretty stupid in KZ as you need to break immersion to actually look down at your controller anyways

or in my case look at the color of the reflection on my plasma....

Has Sony said anything about being able to change the color or dim the light?

They've essentially said they were too moronic to consider that some people might not want their controller to have an annoying light shining, so they didn't build in an option to turn it off or dim it system wide, nor do they have plans to.

It's pretty stupid in KZ as you need to break immersion to actually look down at your controller anyways

or in my case look at the color of the reflection on my plasma....

Yeah this is why I have no hope that the light ever can be used well. Not only do I have to look down, but I have to actually turn the light to face me as well. In regular game playing position the light isn't even visable.

Ordering one of these right now.

Kinyou

Sony should just counter with a 2.99$ microtransaction that enables you turn off the light

(2.99$ to turn it on again)

Mr Moose

That looks pretty sweet. Pricing is wrong in the article though, isn't it?
It says £1.99 on eBay.

Fake edit: "Available for £3.49 ($5.75)" in the article.

Light doesn't bother me one bit but nice to see a decent solution for those that don't like it. Does the camera/sensor still read it with these on though? Wonder if it causes any issues.

Arkage

Banned
I really don't understand why Sony doesn't allow you to control the lightbar when a single dude can make a PS4 controller PC program that lets you control every aspect of the light, including color, brightness, or turning it off completely. Boggles the mind.

Dunlop

You don't have time to charge the controller while you watch 3 movies?

I need to flip a coin to determine if the controller will actually turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity like I put it in the settings.

I've had Netflix on for hours where it would not turn off.

another pic:

original.jpg

I might buy them just because they look cool. I'm not really bothered by the lights as it is right now. In fact some applications of the light I have found to be pretty cool.

BadHand

I'm holding out on the lightbar functionality being fantastic in the near future - I'm assuming the PS camera would need the specific shape of the lightbar to work.

Great idea though.

Nymphae

Banned
I need to flip a coin to determine if the controller will actually turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity like I put it in the settings.

I've had Netflix on for hours where it would not turn off.

Yeah that is fucked up, I just noticed that yesterday as I was watching Netflix. Watched 2 episodes of Community and the controller never turned off even though it's set to after 10 min.

jiggles

Banned
The next logical step from here is to have some sort of compound colour filter that changes what the light shows based on what player is using it.

Nymphae

Banned
It's funny so many people are saying it's a great idea, it's essentially just putting tape over the fucking thing.

Mononoke

Banned
These won't leave a sticky residue after a while if I decided to take them off right?

I had a friend once tape his controller after cracking the grip when stepping on it. After a month or to the tape started slipping and the sticky residue pretty much ruined the controller. That said, not sure what tape he used, or the attempts he made to get it off. I'm sure there is some kind of solution that would have taken it off. Controller was messed up anyways by that point though.

Top Bottom