• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Free weekend, 3/30-4/3!

Mutant

Tried the beta and now tried this free weekend. Still hate it.

Why did they make everything so cluttered and convoluted? It's like they went brainstorming and said fuck it, let's add everything.

Titanfall had a pretty basic, but very clear gameplay loop, you knew how stuff worked and what you have to do. It took me just a couple matches in first game's beta to know the core of the game and I was ready to play.

Now there's so much stuff on top of another, tangled up together in ways that you need a book to figure out what is what and why. There's some kind of phase shift, trip wires, turrets, crab robots, battery mechanic, wallhacks, maphacks, amped weapons and electric smoke on some kind of timer now, a bank mode that I couldn't figure out in 3 matches and so on. The interface is a mess, there's so much stuff, a lot of times I literally had to stop in place for several seconds just to look where is indicator for something is. Crab robots and tripwires are all red so you end up avoiding them only to realize it's you teammate's. I've died so many times without realizing why I died or there was nothing I could do to avoid death, which is so frustrating.

A lot of you probably will say "git gud", but it was not the case with Titanfall 1. I've played that game a lot, so I expected to know some stuff. Almost every mechanic from the original is now overcomplicated while adding very little depth to the gameplay.

Yeah, this is how I'm feeling.

Also my ping in-game is always around 100, and screw that. This isn't 2003.

My ping in-game is always around 100, and screw that. This isn't 2003.
Despite being as devout of a TF fan as one can be, I'll be the first to admit that servers are completely borked beyond belief.

No other game has the issues I regularly run into in Titanfall 2 - ping usually sticks around 80-100, occasionally drops to 60 or 70 if I'm lucky and it commonly spikes for seconds at a time to the 100-200 area. Whatever way they're handling their network infrastructure, it's a disaster and it needs a complete reworking.

VeeP

Tried the beta and now tried this free weekend. Still hate it.

Why did they make everything so cluttered and convoluted? It's like they went brainstorming and said fuck it, let's add everything.

Titanfall had a pretty basic, but very clear gameplay loop, you knew how stuff worked and what you have to do. It took me just a couple matches in first game's beta to know the core of the game and I was ready to play.

Now there's so much stuff on top of another, tangled up together in ways that you need a book to figure out what is what and why. There's some kind of phase shift, trip wires, turrets, crab robots, battery mechanic, wallhacks, maphacks, amped weapons and electric smoke on some kind of timer now, a bank mode that I couldn't figure out in 3 matches and so on. The interface is a mess, there's so much stuff, a lot of times I literally had to stop in place for several seconds just to look where is indicator for something is. Crab robots and tripwires are all red so you end up avoiding them only to realize it's you teammate's. I've died so many times without realizing why I died or there was nothing I could do to avoid death, which is so frustrating.

A lot of you probably will say "git gud", but it was not the case with Titanfall 1. I've played that game a lot, so I expected to know some stuff. Almost every mechanic from the original is now overcomplicated while adding very little depth to the gameplay.

Not trying to be jerk or anything, but is it really that confusing :/?

You have Boost, Ordinance, and Tacticals.

Boost is crab robots, turrents, amped weapons etc. These can be chosen before the match, and they activate as your titan meter fills up. These can only be activated once for every titan.

Ordinance is your basic grenades, smoke, firestar, etc.

Tactical is your pilot ability. Like grapple, or phase shift.

Not trying to be jerk or anything, but is it really that confusing :/?

You have Boost, Ordinance, and Tacticals.

Boost is crab robots, turrents, amped weapons etc. These can be chosen before the match, and they activate as your titan meter fills up. These can only be activated once for every titan.

Ordinance is your basic grenades, smoke, firestar, etc.

Tactical is your pilot ability. Like grapple, or phase shift.

He does have a point at boosts cluttering the battlefield. Boosts replace burn cards, but the latter never actually added anything to the Titan, Pilot and AI trinity of Tf1, while in Tf2 you have ticks and sentries adding a lot of more things to the sandbox, which aren't necessarily the best thing to do.

clav

Every Titan shouldn't have a smokescreen perk. Need to get out to remove the threat.

I kept hearing questions about players at higher ranks asking, "How do you get out of a Titan?"

edit: I miss the announcer that constantly interrupted game chatter with an updated countdown on Titan completion. Made you anticipate something regardless of the match's situation. Helps a lot when you join a lopsided or when there's a period of silence. Adds ambience.

Top Bottom