• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL | 2 Multiplayer Previews

Yep, pretty much. Maybe it was lack of content, but if you're making a multi-million dollar game to develop, you can't rely on "maybe."

I dont know that they needed to change the game. There was no campaign and the game launched at a time when the Xbox One had a low userbase. Honestly, the worst thing you can do is alienate the fans of a game. Halo is still trying to recover from this.

KodaRuss

I still don't get why these games are all releasing in the same window? From the same publisher too?

Yes EA sucks. I am still most excited for TF2 but BF1 came out last week. You don't see marvel releasing Doctor Strange and Captain America within 10 days of each other.

Chris1

Yes EA sucks. I am still most excited for TF2 but BF1 came out last week. You don't see marvel releasing Doctor Strange and Captain America within 10 days of each other.

Difference with that comparison is EA knows exactly who buys what games, Marvel doesn't know who's buying what tickets, they just know someone is.

So EA knows which gamers overlap between both games an which don't, Marvel doesn't, if they did and there wasn't much of an overlap I'm sure they wouldn't mind having them releasing within 10 days of each other.

Yep, pretty much. Maybe it was lack of content, but if you're making a multi-million dollar game to develop, you can't rely on "maybe."
Well it's always a maybe, isn't it? Instead of listening to the fans and adding more content, and "maybe" keeping players longer, they changed it all up and hoping that "maybe" the changes will keep people longer.

I dont know that they needed to change the game. There was no campaign and the game launched at a time when the Xbox One had a low userbase. Honestly, the worst thing you can do is alienate the fans of a game. Halo is still trying to recover from this.

This is where I'm sitting aswell. Add a campaign. Keep multiplayer more or less the same with new maps, maybe add slide. Add a ton of content/customization. Make horde a separate mode from MP and flesh it out properly rather than being pushed out 6 months into the games life. Make all DLC free to keep people coming back. If they did that, I honestly think they could have stood up to Battlefield and COD. I've been the only mad man who actually defended the release date until the tech test.

When those "What do you want to see in Titanfall 2?" threads popped up, I also said some sort of meaningful progression within games, other than the win. Something to give people to aim for within a game and make every game unique rather than feeling like the same old, like COD killstreaks do for CoD and give a reason to watch streams etc. But I also said I don't think Titans are that, so it's kind of sad to see they made Titans exactly that.
This was also before Overwatch :p

Man Im getting pretty hyped looking at the videos. I still need that "10 minute burst" FPS game and I know Ill take Titanfall over COD.

It really seems the maps shown are so much better than the 3 shown first. It's too bad they're not putting up another demo, but I hope it comes to EA Access for their sake. A PS+ trial demo would be awesome too, but Im sure that can happen down the line.

I dont ever want to play Forward Base again, but Boom Town was okay and the other one seems good for LTS at least.

Maps look better, game looks fun and fast, and the modes look promising, though Im still not a fan of Amped Hardpoint over regular Hardpoint. Free maps is what always wins me over, and I know they'll probably have like 5 maps throughout a year as opposed to like 15 with this model, but it eases my mind knowing I can pick this up anytime and not need to pay to keep up.

Im definitely getting this when there is a big enough sale since it's $80 CAD, but I hope Respawn does well with it. Im still really hopeful that the Single Player will blow people away with its creativity and breaking of the typical FPS mould.

Hopefully it's their proper successor to COD4's defining single player.

Chris1

Hopefully reviews tomorrow are solid for this game so more people pick it up

What do people think review scores are gonna be? TF1 is sitting at an 86 right now.

Gonna go with 82. Glowing praise for the campaign but seemingly no horde and the MP will bring it down a bit.

kevin1025

Banned
Man Im getting pretty hyped looking at the videos. I still need that "10 minute burst" FPS game and I know Ill take Titanfall over COD.

It really seems the maps shown are so much better than the 3 shown first. It's too bad they're not putting up another demo, but I hope it comes to EA Access for their sake. A PS+ trial demo would be awesome too, but Im sure that can happen down the line.

I dont ever want to play Forward Base again, but Boom Town was okay and the other one seems good for LTS at least.

Maps look better, game looks fun and fast, and the modes look promising, though Im still not a fan of Amped Hardpoint over regular Hardpoint. Free maps is what always wins me over, and I know they'll probably have like 5 maps throughout a year as opposed to like 15 with this model, but it eases my mind knowing I can pick this up anytime and not need to pay to keep up.

Im definitely getting this when there is a big enough sale since it's $80 CAD, but I hope Respawn does well with it. Im still really hopeful that the Single Player will blow people away with its creativity and breaking of the typical FPS mould.

Hopefully it's their proper successor to COD4's defining single player.

As much as I love Titanfall multiplayer, having that movement and play style in a single player campaign is what I'm most excited about. It's the thing I want to play the most in Titanfall 2!

Drewfonse

As much as I love Titanfall multiplayer, having that movement and play style in a single player campaign is what I'm most excited about. It's the thing I want to play the most in Titanfall 2!

I have a good feeling about the SP. The footage has looked great. It's been a long time for me that a FPS game has had both a compelling SP and MP component. Fingers crossed.

B00TE

Really hyped for this, an awesome way to close out a month full of awesome shooters. I have Gears for co-op, BF1 for massive battles and Titanfall for twitch shooter w/ mechs. I just hope they bring back Frontier Defense ASAP.

Preloaded on my PS4, may go for a PC copy too if it just doesn't gel on a controller for me (played TF1 on PC only).

Drewfonse

Really hyped for this, an awesome way to close out a month full of awesome shooters. I have Gears for co-op, BF1 for massive battles and Titanfall for twitch shooter w/ mechs. I just hope they bring back Frontier Defense ASAP.

Preloaded on my PS4, may go for a PC copy too if it just doesn't gel on a controller for me (played TF1 on PC only).

Frontier Defense is fantastic, I'd be surprised if we don't see it soon in T2

Strider

Wow. The ForthyOmen vids are really making me consider getting the game again... The tech test left me disappointed but the movement alone seems waaaaaaay better than it was when I tried it.

Wow. The ForthyOmen vids are really making me consider getting the game again... The tech test left me disappointed but the movement alone seems waaaaaaay better than it was when I tried it.

Yeah that guy is really good and I'm glad I watched his "pro" movement videos before I get the game. This is the kind of stuff that separates good players from great players.

I just don't know how I will ever find time for BF1, TF2, IW, and MWR. So many good games.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
What do people think review scores are gonna be? TF1 is sitting at an 86 right now.

I would say 88-90 if the multiplayer, at the very least, meets the multiplayer in the original. If the multiplayer isn't quite as good, but the single player is amazing (from what it looks like, it will be), then I would say an 84.

I would say 88-90 if the multiplayer, at the very least, meets the multiplayer in the original. If the multiplayer isn't quite as good, but the single player is amazing (from what it looks like, it will be), then I would say an 84.

Most reviewers suck so hard at MP. I think an attached SP will allow them to really enjoy the game if it turns out to be as good as I hope.

MP just needs a checklist of things for most reviews to praise it. Most of the people that care about MP opinions go to Reddit, GAF, or watch Youtubers.

Most reviewers suck so hard at MP. I think an attached SP will allow them to really enjoy the game if it turns out to be as good as I hope.

MP just needs a checklist of things for most reviews to praise it. Most of the people that care about MP opinions go to Reddit, GAF, or watch Youtubers.

Watching mainstream review site players is painful.

Strider

Yeah that guy is really good and I'm glad I watched his "pro" movement videos before I get the game. This is the kind of stuff that separates good players from great players.

I just don't know how I will ever find time for BF1, TF2, IW, and MWR. So many good games.

I will admit I didn't play the 2nd weekend which apparently everything was speed up at that point already. The fluid and fast movement was the best part about TF1 to me and that first test weekend kinda left a sour taste in my mouth. The playable maps that weekend didn't really help the case obviously...

I need to find a full list of all the changes up to now... I'm sure a lot more changed on top of the movement mechanics.

kevin1025

Banned
At least we can bask in early, good reviews tomorrow. I hope...

We can definitely hope. I imagine the game will get very good reviews, but will maybe get hurt a little by some non-Titanfall 1 type maps where agility isn't 100% like some other maps. But since the reviews are coming four days early, Respawn and EA must be pretty proud of the game.

Launch day map lineup:

AfZ6uvl.png

At least reviews are coming out fairly well in advance before release. They'll probably make or break the game's performance and longevity due to the tech test. 90+ would be great, but 86-88 is probably more realistic.
I mean, for scoring it's Pilots only right?

Return of Pilot Hunter I guess
From the videos I watched, Titans seemed to be worth 3 points.

KodaRuss

Gonna go with 82. Glowing praise for the campaign but seemingly no horde and the MP will bring it down a bit.

I am going to say an 85. Unless the campaign is just amazing I don't think it is going to get any perfect scores. Lots of 9s I believe we are in for which would be great.

Chris1

I was gonna say 84 originally but I always seem to overshoot my predictions so I lowered by 2. Watch it be 84 now :p

Gator86

The footage of this is so good. I'm preloaded and ready to go.

"Titanfall 2 is too slow"

https://youtu.be/3x_ri07QIR4

The bunny hops are the most fun and original mechanic in a shooter since active reload.

Nothing about having to continuously hop and slide to generate momentum sounds fun to me when I imagine playing it. I can't think of many games where I've actually enjoyed being forced to bunny hop.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't stop watching videos of this game. I loved the tech test and it's been a long time since I've seen high level play in a MP game that makes me really want to improve to be able to pull it off.

Drewfonse

Nothing about having to continuously hop and slide to generate momentum sounds fun to me when I imagine playing it. I can't think of many games where I've actually enjoyed being forced to bunny hop.

Are we being forced to bunny hop to maintain momentum? Guess I won't be maintaining momentum then. No way in hell I'm bunny hopping around the maps.

Drewfonse

I can't stop watching videos of this game. I loved the tech test and it's been a long time since I've seen high level play in a MP game that makes me really want to improve to be able to pull it off.

I agree. This is the first MP game in a long time that is making me think about putting in my dues to get good. Doesn't hurt that I have a 3 day weekend FR through SUN and....the house to myself!

B00TE

The Mastiff shotgun looks fucking awesome. Used the longbow in the first game, but I may need to make the switch.

Are we being forced to bunny hop to maintain momentum? Guess I won't be maintaining momentum then. No way in hell I'm bunny hopping around the maps.

It's a high level tactic and most people won't be good at it probably.

I think it's good for the gsme to have more complex mechanics that not everybody can master and those that can have to put in time.

LQX

I'm already sort of sick of BF1 as I'm dying so much so I cant wait for this. Yes the release window being so close to BF1 is sort of odd but it is as different from BF1 as COD is from BF1 so I don't think the audience will overlap or at-least will know what they are in far. I don't think it will do well on PC at all though especially after being neglected during the BETA.

It's something you'll use to cover large distances or escape a bad situation.

Having a skillful movement option vs just mash forward on the stick to sprint is a good thing. It's like gears where good wall bouncers could escape a bad situation.

jacobs34

I am so close to buying this game, but I can't get over how some of my matches in the Beta felt empty even though the servers were full. There were a lot of dead moments, and I'm not sure if it was because we were all new and not using our mobility to the fullest, or if the maps are just a little too barren of objects to wall-run. When the game is at it's most frantic it is unlike anything else on the market. I'm going to be keeping my eye on what guys like Omen have to say after the game is released. Until then I will just keep BF1, which has been the most impressive shooter I've played in awhile.

Gator86

It's a high level tactic and most people won't be good at it probably.

I think it's good for the gsme to have more complex mechanics that not everybody can master and those that can have to put in time.

It doesn't really seem difficult to pull off, but more irritating instead. The first thing that springs to mind for me is having to tap to sprint, in games like GTA.

Top Bottom