• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall beta confirmed??

UNCMark

Banned
Not gonna lie, I'm nervous about how the 360 version is going to turn out. I mean 8 year old hardware is really going to be tested.

I hear ya. Unfortunately for me it's my only option. Also not liking that it's being farmed out to someone else. If the game turns out to be as great as everyone who played it says, I'll end up getting an Xbox One sooner rather than later.

Grief.exe

I hear ya. Unfortunately for me it's my only option. Also not liking that it's being farmed out to someone else. If the game turns out to be as great as everyone who played it says, I'll end up getting an Xbox One sooner rather than later.

Build that PC bro.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I've been thinking the same thing as well.

What made COD so popular is the skill gap is so low people can pick up the game and do well fairly easily.

I don't see that happening with Titanfall, the vertical gameplay alone will cause issues.

I think it was Weekend Confirmed or some podcast that they were talking about how the game litters the multiplayer with AI enemies so you can get loads of kills even if you're a bit rubbish. If it works as described I think that's going to be a great addition and will really get people into the game.

Papacheeks

Banned
Since you have never played the game, you should probably stop comparing it to Tribes. They have virtually nothing in common.

Seeing as the developers are the guys who made CoD, I think they know what made it popular.

Actually the press and the Developer's have publicly expressed how tribes, along with Unreal tournament, and the likes are big influences to the mobility, and flow of the shooting.

"Mobility, survivability and scale are Respawn’s buzzwords but players leaving EA’s booth at Gamescom were more inclined to mention how the game feels. Titanfall doesn’t play like other modern shooters; when asked for influences McCoy mentions Quake, Tribes, Doom and Street Fighter. “Tribes for motion,” he says, “Doom and Street Fighter for Titan combat. I loved rocket-jumping, learning routes in Unreal Tournament team maps, the grapple in Tribes: Vengeance; I loved figuring out what the physics was like and how I could use it to my advantage. I think a lot of games have narrowed things down to your reaction times – who can pull the trigger faster? – and we want to open it up a bit."

http://www.edge-online.com/features/respawn-on-titanfall-and-breaking-free-of-call-of-dutys-spawn-die-spawn-die-loop/

Boom!

Now carry on.

old

What made COD so popular is the skill gap is so low people can pick up the game and do well fairly easily.

I'm reminded of a quote from the movie Rounders:

I mean, why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker EVERY SINGLE YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas? It's a skill game, Jo. -- Matt Damon, Rounders

If COD isn't about skill, then why do the same guys win every match? Why is the same player on top of the leaderboard after every match? If it's all just a dice roll to determine who wins a match or wins a gunfight...then are these just the luckiest guys on the planet?

It is a game of skill and those guys have it. The people behind Respawn knew the secret sauce to make COD both approachable and reward skill. That combination is what made the games so addicting. Every indication says they look to be doing the same with Titanfall.

Ishan

the part that confuses me is a lot people seem to like about this is like q3 ... movement. frantic etc etc ... why not just get super hyped about q3 .... or is it finally cod fatigue setting in and ppl want to get back to that old q3 ut standard.

dorkimoe

I dont know if it was ever posted on here but every single piece of footage they have shown has been PC footage. I saw this hidden back on their twitter feed. Someone was complaining about PC something or another and they confirmed all the footage has been PC footage.

So probably gonna see a PC beta?

simples

Banned
They haven't even set up online pre-orders yet, but I'm really hoping they're gonna allow for pre-loading by the game Titanfall is out in March.
preloading the game from live steam style would be amazing, but MS won't even have their shit together by March

for multiplayer games i will play a long time with no plans of trading in, no way am I going disc. saying xbox play killer instinct and having it switch instantly to the game while other disc games are like "put in disc" has been a real eye opener

digital is the only future I want

Grief.exe

Microsoft will probably just unlock the game for download at midnight, play when you are finished.

Not all games on Steam allow preloading, it is on a developer by developer basis. The functionality is there though.

JustinMay

Banned
Actually the press and the Developer's have publicly expressed how tribes, along with Unreal tournament, and the likes are big influences to the mobility, and flow of the shooting.

Now carry on.

Speaking as someone who has played it, it does not play like Tribes. Tribes and UT play completely differently, btw.

IHaveIce

Banned
I love how people say this while ignoring the fact that there are clearly people WAY better than other people at COD. I've got plenty of people on my own friends lists with k/d at .500

Eh.. a low skill gap doesn't mean everyone is going to be pro, just that the line between being good and being pro is thin.

Look at games like LoL/Dota or Starcraft, they all are pretty accessible for newbies, but the skill gap is crazy and you won't get good let alone become a pro without a huge dedication towards this game and understanding of it.

CoD it is fairly easy to understand what to do to become good

Eh.. a low skill gap doesn't mean everyone is going to be pro, just that the line between being good and being pro is thin.

Look at games like LoL/Dota or Starcraft, they all are pretty accessible for newbies, but the skill gap is crazy and you won't get good let alone become a pro without a huge dedication towards this game and understanding of it.

CoD it is fairly easy to understand what to do to become good

And I think that is a hollow critique people make about COD as an insult to the franchise because they don't like it for whatever reasons.

antitrop

I'm reminded of a quote from the movie Rounders:

If COD isn't about skill, then why do the same guys win every match? Why is the same player on top of the leaderboard after every match? If it's all just a dice roll to determine who wins a match or wins a gunfight...then are these just the luckiest guys on the planet?

It is a game of skill and those guys have it. The people behind Respawn knew the secret sauce to make COD both approachable and reward skill. That combination is what made the games so addicting. Every indication says they look to be doing the same with Titanfall.
Call of Duty isn't about skill, it's about time investment and how much of the best shit you have unlocked.

Counter-Strike was about skill. Unreal Tournament was about skill. Quake 3 Arena was about skill.

Call of Duty ain't none of that shit.

Papacheeks

Banned
Speaking as someone who has played it, it does not play like Tribes. Tribes and UT play completely differently, btw.

Ok, your point. I put up a article with an interview of one of the producer's of the game who states their inspiration for the mobility and jetpacks(Like Tribes:Vengence, Tribes Ascend). Has power weapons to take down titans like the Rocket/grenade launcher. Can fire while hovering in mid air from a big jump like Unreal. You are saying the person in the interview who works for Respawn, doesn't know more than you?

I understand the mechanics of the game are different but if you were as old as I am and played games like Quake Arena, Unreal, Tribes you would understand the influence. Even the Mobility of the Titans is from Tribes with the side boosting you can do to avoid enemy fire.

That's what I was saying, I didn't say the game had skiing like Tribes, I said the mobility and range of weapons for certain enemies and maps are all influenced from those games.

Just like the Producer stated.

I'll take his word, the Gamer Syde downloaded gameplay videos, and the Giant collection of games I'v collected for the past 25 years over a word from some random guy on a forum.

J-Rzez

Yeah, there's definitely a beta. March 11th, 2014. Especially since EA's name will be on that box somewhere. But that's not just EA exclusive, that's Acti, Ubi, and friends as well if things continue their course of "Does the game boot? Gone gold. Patch it later... maybe".

BeerSnob

It's EA so the beta will extend well into 2015. On the bright side, it'll be real easy to get in the beta once it's released.

Top Bottom