• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I received my beta code but I don't want to spoil myself this early. I can wait. I can wait... I can...

wHeJUaA.gif

Donate it to a needy child.

That's good to hear. I've got a 4770k and a 780 Ti so I should be good to go for this. I was mainly hoping to get into the beta to see how well it ran before buying. Anybody know if they've sent out the bulk of codes yet, or is this just early access or something? I didn't think it was supposed to start until tomorrow.

I'm going to try not to be too bummed if I don't get in since the game comes out in less than a month.

Vince Zampella tweeted that the first batch of codes went out at 6PM PST / 9PM EST. So looks like the rest of us are hoping and praying to receive codes tomorrow.

-The dumb:
-Autoaim pistol. I don't know who greenlight this but it's so overpowered, lol. Super easy to rack up kills with little effort.

In the Giantbomb stream, Jeff says that the pistol is good for getting grunt kills really quickly so you can get access to your Titant faster, but that it's pretty bad against human players because they have more health and that pistol doesn't do much damage to them. Are you finding that to be the case?

Fracas

#fuckonami
In the Giantbomb stream, Jeff says that the pistol is good for getting grunt kills really quickly so you can get access to your Titant faster, but that it's pretty bad against human players because they have more health and that pistol doesn't do much damage to them. Are you finding that to be the case?

I've been getting kills with it fairly easily. The only weakness is that it takes a 1/2 second to lock on but if you're juking it's not hard to dodge then get a kill.

Definitely, it's almost useless in PVP if the other player sees you first.

traveler

Not Wario
Can someone with the beta comment on ttk? It's basically the dealbreaker for me at this point. Is the game CoD fast in its kills/deaths or closer to Halo, to stick to console shooter points of reference?

Nvzman

Does anyone know how well this game runs on lower-end rigs?
If I can run most Source games on this computer will this run too?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Can someone with the beta comment on ttk? It's basically the dealbreaker for me at this point. Is the game CoD fast in its kills/deaths or closer to Halo, to stick to console shooter points of reference?

Watching streams.... its between the two

More on COD side

Mastamind

-The dumb:
-Autoaim pistol. I don't know who greenlight this but it's so overpowered, lol. Super easy to rack up kills with little effort.

Unless that pistol has been buffed since the last time i played it, its not as good as you would think vs players. It doesn't 1-burst kill players like it does grunts(?). You'll more likely be killed by anyone who's looking at you in a 1v1 situation.

I don't know why I can't run it pretty solidly ;__;

I can run stuff like Borderlands 2 at med-high/1600x900 and hit 40-60 frames but with Titanfall I'm getting anywhere from 15-40 at low settings/1366x768.

Sounds to me like Respawn did a lot of modifying to the Source engine and for whatever reasons it isn't as optimized as before. I can run Left 4 Dead 2 on just an AMD A8-5500K APU at 1080p max settings and hit an average of 40 - 50 FPS with a lot of zombies on screen.

Silky

Banned
Alright. Having played a full set, here are my thoughts:

Good
Has a great sense of speed when it comes to movement and weight when it comes to gunplay.
Wallrunning is fundemental, and a good idea on how the map works will get you far.

Bad
AI's pretty stupid.

elfinke

This thread reminded me to check my emails... success! One PC beta code. Will report back with impressions later.

Yes really. And we all know why they're there, to make the game feel less empty.

I would say it's more satisfying killing a human player since the AI is pretty stupid and tend to clump up to be killed.

I had a 4 AI kill with one grenade because they all hid in the same ditch. That definitely didn't make me feel accomplished.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Unless that pistol has been buffed since the last time i played it, its not as good as you would think vs players. It doesn't 1-burst kill players like it does grunts(?). You'll more likely be killed by anyone who's looking at you in a 1v1 situation.

I just started using it with the camo ability. Seems fairly easy to get kills with it. Maybe the meta hasn't been fully explored yet but it seems really strong at the moment.

traveler

Not Wario
Watching streams.... its between the two

More on COD side

Yeah, that's what I gathered from the limited time I'd watched too. Hoped I just had too small a sample size. :/

Was hoping the need to offer substantially higher firepower in titans would mean that pilot v pilot combat would be more drawn out, at the very least. Looks like they wanted to keep low ttk, though.

I'll probably still give it a shot, but set my expectations accordingly. May not be my next big console shooter, but maybe it'll be enjoyable in a CoD4 kind of way for a month or so.

Shady859

I scored one of the codes dropped by DKo5 for PC. I am impressed and having an absolute blast even though I am a console shooter guy. The only PC shooter I really play is TF2. Not gonna lie there is a lot going on with the keys for admittedly a keyboard/mouse scrub but I still have been top or near in my last several games after getting the feel for it. I like the 3rd Assualt mech and just play aggressive as can be.

Just reached level 6 and I can build custom classes it seems so I decided to grab dinner and take a lil break to rave about Titanfall. Real deal folks, Microsoft got their monies worth on the console exclusive. Looks like I might even end up getting a Xbone this year after all.

Mechazawa

I meant in terms of adding something to the gameplay.

That does add something to the gameplay.

I also think that, and this is something that I haven't seen brought it up, they make great distractions. If you're trying to run away, weaving through a crowd of ally AI is decent way of doing so if you're not shooting your weapon and putting yourself on the radar.

Anyways, I feel like media doesn't do the movement in this game justice. You are disgustingly mobile. I've gone entire matches where I just never stop moving and am constantly stalking enemy players on the rooftops. You kind of have to do that when you have the smart pistol, but it's phenomenal that the game facilitates the fact that you're basically Batman with a gun. I thought the wall running and mantling was going to be a little more canned than they are, but it's insanely fluid.

Performance is weird on PC, though. it feels like I'm getting stuttering even though FRAPS is telling me it's running at 60. I can't figure out what the hell is up.

I would say it's more satisfying killing a human player since the AI is pretty stupid and tend to clump up to be killed.

I had a 4 AI kill with one grenade because they all hid in the same ditch. That definitely didn't make me feel accomplished.

I would never say they're as satisfying to defeat as another player, just that it's more fun having them there as opposed to running around an empty map.
Having a higher player count would also solve that problem, of course.

Top Bottom