• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

Deadbeat

Banned
Okay ive been using the smart pistol and honestly its the best thing rolling. You lock one or two shots on the guy and you do the rest yourself and you will clean people up.

Smart pistol is dope if you love to walljump like mad.

PC impressions

- 60 fps locked, hard to tell about optimization as a result. Immediate thoughts are that this is better optimized than BF4 beta by a long shot. Occasional frame dips (brief) that I'm not quite able to pin the cause down due to just...well, the speed of the game lul

- The game heavily relies on high image quality--I've got everything pumped up and it looks unbelievable.

- I should mention that I'm on a G-Sync display so I can't comment on tearing issues. I have zero due to G-Sync..but 60fps locked is going to cause screen tearing for enthusiast builds.

- Sticky aim for controller is subtle but competent. I won't say much but I felt competent with both inputs.

- I ran into Totalbiscuit who was doing quite decently. He assassinated me at one point lul...got him back though.

Concerning Gameplay

Positives

- The "bots" aspect of the game is glorious. They serve as a great "filler" to keep action constant but are also great for the strategic mechanics of the game. There's a ton of strategies that can be pursued. For instance I'm having a good time using the assassin build and waiting for opposing pilots to start revealing themselves on map by shooting at Grunts. It allows me to get in and pick them off.

- Titan on Titan gameplay is just a blast. You start noticing who the advanced Titan users are right away. Abandoning Titans seem like a bad idea all around though. Initially you think its good to use your titan as a decoy but it's generally a bad idea against the better users who can easily defend themselves from an Auto-Titan while simultaneously pinpointing your position.

- Good balance between initial weaponry. Smart pistol is a great option for controller users. There are certain tactics that will allow controller users to be more competitive against keyboard and mouse users should they find themselves losing the twitch game.

Overall, gunplay is extremely satisfying. Tactics are rich and diverse. It's one of the funnest shooters I've played in a while and this is coming from someone who wasn't all that hyped for the game to begin with. I was surprised to find that even in losing matches where I went negative or had a subpar game I was still having a really great time. Compared to Call of Duty when I'm getting destroyed and want to quit, the feeling never comes into play here.

Negatives

Uh...none?

- No, in all honesty, load times are ridiculous on PC thus far for me. Didn't install to my SSD but my 7200 rpm hard drive is taking way too much time to load these maps. Definitely going SSD for launch.

- Personal opinion more than anything else but there just seems to be a complete lack of map control thus far. There isn't any particular flow to these maps in terms of "okay, I want to try to accomplish this". I only played Team Slayer so maybe that's why things seemed a bit thoughtless. This isn't to say the maps were bad, I enjoyed them all quite a bit, but fighting over a powerful anti-titan weapon or an advanced titan weapon might have been a great way to generate a better "flow" to the gameplay.

Fantastic fantastic game though guys. Really solid beta.

Now unlock my fps pls <3
*jack_nicholson_nodding.gif

Giv Beta Key

antitrop

You know what's awesome? Hacking a pack of Spectres and having them follow you around as personal bodyguards. I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort before, but if you can get a few of them, I really think that it is.

Cheddahz

Banned
You know what's awesome? Hacking a pack of Spectres and having them follow you around as personal bodyguards. I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort before, but if you can get a few of them, I really think that it is.

Had no idea you could do that

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm getting about 85 to 115hz during battles. What should I turn down first to get the full 120? I disabled anti aliasing to see what that does.

Also I've been playing triple buffered but I disabled vsync and the game just stays locked at 60hz. It only goes above that vsync on.

Awesome game btw. Will write impressins of the design later.

It's a beautifully designed experience all around. You don't even know origin is there. I was wrong to be so uptight about the game using that service.

I also adore the hacking knife.

Freki

The following are my impressions from playing for 2h on PC (570ti with 3GB and 2500k@4.1Ghz)

Gameplay (subject to change as I only played for 2h):
  • very fast paced
  • ttk very low
  • high ground is king
  • titans are not op imo; maps seem pretty well balanced around them
  • round times are way to low; it feels like I am sitting more in the lobby than actually playing the game; This is really frustrating and hampers my enjoyment immensly; I hope this will be fixed or made adjustable...
  • movement reminds me a bit of warframe but way more extreme and more precise (most of the time at least)
  • It's a really fun and solid game gameplay wise but maybe not "omg it's bestest thing since sliced bread" (maybe that's just me being contrarian to gaming "journalists" though)
  • Without reading the nametags I can't distinguish between bot and player - that's something I definitely do not like because it prevents me from reading a situation correctly (what's the highest threat? See below...)
  • Bots are dumb as ****
  • Bots seem to have one purpose: to make you feel good... I thought I had a good round but nope I was 4-7 or so in the end - but the 20 bot kills masked this subpar performance on my part quite well...
  • Besides the above point I don't understand the intention behind the inclusion of bots atm - maybe I'll need to play a bit more...

Technical:
  • The game looks mediocre to good - certainly nothing special in the gfx department but I don't think this is this game's main selling point
  • It's for some reason very sluggish most of the time although it can sometimes hit butter smooth 60fps; Most of the time it's below that and sometimes it even drops below 30fps (especially if I'm in a titan) - this even leads to some extremely annoying "micro rubberbanding"; Taking my rig, the scale and the overall quality of the graphics into consideration I don't think it should run that bad. Lowering the settings didn't really help. I think this could be some kind of bug... idk...

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'm only hearing through the grapevine... but a little birdie is telling me that the first wave of invites is going out...

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm only hearing through the grapevine... but a little birdie is telling me that the first wave of invites is going out...

Are the waves based on when people signed up?

I grabbed a code from one of your drops (thanks again!), but a friend of mine is still wanting in. Figured I'd give him my code if it gets here soonish.

HelloMeow

I don't like how matchmaking searches for opposing teams rather than searching for players and balancing the teams afterwards.

I hope I get a code. Only reason I have been staying up, and those damn quick fingers redeeming all the codes being posted on the Conway Jr Show Twitter (DAMN THEM! ;). If I am not in this wave, oh well... there is always tomorrow. But I am crossing my fingers.

Posting my impressions from the beta thread:

Played my first few games. It's...fun. Really fun. Hectic, but not overwhelming--map/player size felt great. Titans all over the place, but they don't feel overpowered at all. So many bot kills though instead of actual players--but that's aight. Movement and traversal feels awesome--you could spend time just goin around the map. You don't feel like "omg my KD, I need to play for me" type of stress like you do in CoD--ya just play and have fun.

Good shit.

Sanic

Played for a good bit. Game reeeeally looks like a 360/PS3 game. Lot of fun though. I think they've hit on a good formula.

Piggus

I must be on some kind of blacklist or something. :/ Haven't been able to get into a damn beta for any game in ages. Signed up for PC beta as soon as it was available and noooope. Nothing.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I don't like how matchmaking searches for opposing teams rather than searching for players and balancing the teams afterwards.

Ahhh, but it does, kind of. It finds you people that are a "good fit" for teammates, then finds an enemy team to put you up against. The thought being, finding good teammates to play and communicate with is more important than filling an entire server at once then only having that smaller population to choose teams with.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Aw man, the drop ship just took off without me!
I've getting very overwhelmed. This game is really something. I love the dash feature in the titan. There's so many cool things in this game.

DocSeuss

I'm pleasantly surprised to see the good things people are saying about this game. Admittedly I've only been vaguely paying attention to it up until this point, but the impression I was getting was negativity. A lot of that is probably simply because it's a PC/Xbone exclusive.

I think there's a level of resentment that anything connected with "Call of Duty" is popular.

Remember: whatever the most popular shooter is at the moment is always going to get hated on by an audience that skews primarily console. For a while, it was Halo. Then it moved to Call of Duty.

While I do think there's a huge amount of resentment from Sony fans (seriously, I don't think I've ever met a fanbase that is as insane as following people into completely unrelated discussions to tell everyone how they don't know anything 'cause they don't like a particular company), and that's disappointing, I think it's just "top console shooter syndrome" thing.

Yo... You should hook me up, my Origin name is the same

edit: Yes I signed up the normal way but I really want in ;_;

Tapiozona

Banned
Ahhh, but it does, kind of. It finds you people that are a "good fit" for teammates, then finds an enemy team to put you up against. The thought being, finding good teammates to play and communicate with is more important than filling an entire server at once then only having that smaller population to choose teams with.

Must be a fantastic feeling reading all of the positive reviews for your hard work right now huh? For all the shit you developers have to put up with from their passionate gamers, I bet times like now make it all better?

Can't wait to play. If not in beta then definitely in March.

Deadbeat

Banned
Well Im going to talk about the Smart Pistol some more now.

Its pretty dope. Anyone else think its pretty dope? Is pretty dope. Im really close to unlocking the extended range attachment but Ill do that tomorrow. Otherwise the suppressor is pretty handy for dealing with pilots.

edit: Some dude tried to kick me and he went right past me so I hit melee and I snapped his neck. Its like BF3 knife raging all over again.

Sinfamy

I don't really like the heat seeking lock on with the rocket launcher.
I'd rather have it be like in Half-Life where it follows your laser, with the option to right click and disable the guiding laser if needed.

Also even on PC maxed out, the textures are a kinda washed out and low resolution.
Not that noticeable when moving at fast speeds, but still.

I do love the way you spawn though.

Snake201

Neo Member

Why didn't I win in the photoshop contest you had earlier? I thought I did a good job

Here was my entry:

QP2veRm.gif

I thought I was definitely going to win :(

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I have played 52 games of Attrition and nothing else. Not for lack of trying.

Yeah, anytime I try I only get 1 person or so. I give up and go play attrition. I played 10 games so far, but it feels like a lot more than that for some reason.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The most impressive thing is the density of action the game allows. Theres just so. much. stuff. going on all at once. Its breathtaking and terrifying; it has to be seen in motion. Every screen and even video I've seen did nothing to demonstrate how intense the actual experience is. The match length is definitely too short, but I've only played Attrition so far. The mobility while on foot is tremendous. Someone finally got it right! And piloting the actual Titan is super fun in its own way, the dash maneuver is reallly pushing the right buttons for me after spending so much time dodging things in Dark Souls. Its really really fun. Probably the most fun shooter I've played since the original Halo. I'm gonna try playing with a gamepad a little later and see what comes of it. The KB/M controls are great. Triple tapping E to eject is really really cool in the moment.

I never played CoD MP so this feel is pretty much entirely new to me. The movement speed reminds of Quake almost its really fucking fast.

On the technology side it seems fine enough, I'm having some trouble maintaining a super perfect 120fps but haven't really spent any time adjust settings. I've very fond of the way Source Engine makes games look as unique as Titanfall it is it still has that comforting Sourciness to it.

Stellar game. Can't wait to see more.

Top Bottom