• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall beta trailer?!

H4r4kiri

I really dont understand the hype about the agility and that this is so new.

Does anyone remembers UT or Quake ? That was fast pace as hell.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well that's certainly how you do a trailer. :)

Does anyone remembers UT or Quake ? That was fast paste as hell.
This strawman of 'this isn't as revolutionary as everyone says it is' comes up in every TitanFall thread.

I don't get it.

I applied to beta on the pc version. My question is, why do I have to wait 3 more days in order to know if I get the key or not? The official release of the beta is friday 14, and I will recieve the confirmation mail on 17.

Prine

Banned

Its not that simple though, it seems as if Respawn have nailed the balance of those and refined the mechanics, the vertical gameplay hasnt been seen like this. You have to be nimble to escape and out manoeuvre powerful Mechs as well as attack from pilots. Now image all that going on a battelfield. People are hyped for that reason, there isnt anything like this.

Fully believe this game will inspire the next round of FPS, like Halo did for console FPS, with its implementation of grenade throwing, vehicle combat and regenerating health.

SpacLock

I applied to beta on the pc version. My question is, why do I have to wait 3 more days in order to know if I get the key or not? The official release of the beta is friday 14, and I will recieve the confirmation mail on 17.

Because the invites are sent in waves so it's not too stressful at first. You most likely will receive a code any time between the 14th-17th.

jet1911

Looks great, someone need to gif the soldier getting killed and exploding in millions of pieces while running in front of the player.

What is the last FPS you played that gave you this kind of mobility?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
The marketing for this game will revolve around the Halo style visor when you are in the Titans and the whole prepare for Titanfall thing.

I don't understand why 'some' experts have said it will be hard to market. It's one of those games where 30 seconds is enough to make you want to play it.

H4r4kiri

Looks great, someone need to gif the soldier getting killed and exploding in millions of pieces while running in front of the player.

What is the last FPS you played that gave you this kind of mobility?

Its not that simple though, it seems as if Respawn have nailed the balance of those and refined the mechanics, the vertical gameplay hasnt been seen like this. You have to be nimble to escape from powerful Mechs as attack other humans. People are hyped for that reason, there isnt anything like this.

Fully believe this game will inspire the next round of FPS, like Halo did for console FPS, with its implementation of grenade throwing, vehicle combat and regenerating health.

Well that's certainly how you do a trailer. :)

This strawman of 'this isn't as revolutionary as everyone says it is' comes up in every TitanFall thread.

I don't get it.

I am not saying it doesn'tlooks good ! It really looks like a lot of fun. And i signed up for the Beta. I just dont understand that people are so hyped about the speed. Quake and UT are fast too and maybe a little faster. The only thing that get added is the vertical scale and i love it. But technically this doesnt look up to date.

Ricky_R

That looked fucking awesome. That trailer won't even make people wonder if the game is or isn't online only. Pretty good trailer.

H4r4kiri

lBGanLd.png

I've never been so upset over something so little :(

I edited my huge mistake :D This is just embarrassing.:D

Because the invites are sent in waves so it's not too stressful at first. You most likely will receive a code any time between the 14th-17th.

How they decide if I get the key or not? What are the criteriums? Or they are going to send randomly? Does it count that I have origin account since 2012? Do I get better chances than someone who made an origin account just to get the beta?

TheMan

Does anyone remembers UT or Quake ? That was fast pace as hell.

Those games had their heyday a decade+ ago. I would guess that a lot of people looking forward to titanfall have not played even played them, so referencing them is of little use.

ZehDon

Gold Member

I don't get it.
Not meaning to nit pick, but I don't understand how this a "strawman"; his position is entirely valid and very much on target: multiplayer FPSs used to be all about speed. Consoles slowed things down enormously to accommodate the controller. When Titanfall was first showed off, a lot of PC gamers made the same comment: we've played faster shooters before. Yet, journalists are preaching that this game is a revolution. It isn't. It's a belated return to the roots of the genre - console shooters are finally catching up to where PC shooters were fifteen plus years ago.

Unreal Tournament 2k4 makes Titanfall feel down right slow. Hell, Quake Live with a full map? Game'll be over before the first Titan lands. This isn't a bad thing - Titanfall looks like good fun - but it isn't a revolution. The amount of auto-aim necessary to accommodate the speed that Respawn is pushing on a controller should advertise why the first big console shooters, like Goldeneye and Halo, were pretty slow.

Dabanton

Those games had their heyday a decade+ ago. I would guess that a lot of people looking forward to titanfall have not played even played them, so referencing them is of little use.

Pretty much. I'm old enough to have played and understand the heritage those games had. But I like what TitanFall is doing. I like that you'll have to have some real discipline to be able to attempt to master all the things you have to take into account during a match.

That's why I think the it's just "CoD with mechs" insult thrown at it will fall flat on it's face when more people get to experience it and see playing like that will be get you punished by other players who have switched it up. And are using their environment and abilities to dominate.

RooMHM

It really does look bad, doesn t it? Wonder if Wallrun is scripted or controllable and if you can still shoot normally during those phases. Head bob is already looking annoying...

Seanspeed

Banned
Not meaning to nit pick, but I don't understand how this a "strawman"; his position is entirely valid and very much on target: multiplayer FPSs used to be all about speed. Consoles slowed things down enormously to accommodate the controller. When Titanfall was first showed off, a lot of PC gamers made the same comment: we've played faster shooters before. Yet, journalists are preaching that this game is a revolution. It isn't. It's a belated return to the roots of the genre - console shooters are finally catching up to where PC shooters were fifteen plus years ago.

Unreal Tournament 2k4 makes Titanfall feel down right slow. Hell, Quake Live with a full map? Game'll be over before the first Titan lands. This isn't a bad thing - Titanfall looks like good fun - but it isn't a revolution. The amount of auto-aim necessary to accommodate the speed that Respawn is pushing on a controller should advertise why the first big console shooters, like Goldeneye and Halo, were pretty slow.
Game journalists are NOT preaching that this a revolution, though! lol

You might find one or two overexcited snips saying something along those lines, but in general, this is not happening. Most people are just very excited about how fun it all looks. Modern FPS's don't tend to have mobility like this, so its fresh, but nobody is saying is super innovative or never been done before.

That's what the strawman is.

def sim

It's a straw man because almost no one here is calling this game revolutionary or thinks a fast paced game is new. Instead of arguing against the idea of it, address the members who say it directly.

Prine

Banned

I don think the speed is the gameplay style people are hyped about, more like the acrobats available with so much going on

Rehynn

Have you ever been hit by a giant mech fist?

It's the same as being hit by any heavy, relatively fast-moving (which is not really conveyed in the game, BTW) object. Human's don't have that much blood, and certainly don't explode into that many pieces.

My cousin's a firefighter, he's seen what's left of people when they get hit by a fast-moving train. What he described didn't look like that.

Top Bottom