• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall boosts Xbox One UK sales by 96%, Tea and Crumpets for all!

I think the point is to cut through Microsoft's BS pr speak. Sure, Xbox One sales nearly doubled, but Ps4 also had a big jump percentage wise over the week before. It is saying that Titanfall's bump all things considered isn't that huge, especially without citing an actual sales figure.

It is saying that without hard numbers, percentage changes mean diddly squat. XB1 could've sold more last week in the UK than the PS4 and this bump could be incredible. Or the exact opposite could've happened. We simply have no idea at all

Paracelsus

I don't understand this whole deal. XBOXone is at the same point PS3 was in June 2008.

Did MGS4 (a total exclusive) put asses in the seats? It did. Did it change the course of history? Not at all. What changed it was a hugely lower price point due to the slim sku.

This gen though is a lot harder to figure out because even if you match the price, the hardware is still lacking, and there's the fact games have grown stale, not memorable, it's harder and harder to make GoW-like KAs.

I think the point is to cut through Microsoft's BS pr speak. Sure, Xbox One sales nearly doubled, but Ps4 also had a big jump percentage wise over the week before. It is saying that Titanfall's bump all things considered isn't that huge, especially without citing an actual sales figure.

If that was the goal of the title edit then it has failed miserably. Why couldn't the mod just do what normal people do and write a post in the thread making that point, if that was their intention? Or perhaps it was a reference to correlation vs. causation in which case, again, a post in the thread would seem more appropriate. That title edit just seems to be a massive derail
edit: sand we are back to original .

meanspartan

Let's hope Infamous can do for xbone sales what Titanfall apparently has for ps4 sales /sigh

I think being a FPS gives Titanfall the advantage in this arena because that is just such a huge market, especially in a year where the consensus seems to be that COD was a let down and BF4 while good was broken for too long.

For Infamous to make a similar splash without the massive "HAVE YOU SEEN TITANFALL?!?!?!" push Microsoft gave, it needs to kill it in the reviews. 9s and up. If it is merely a "Very good" 8ish game from most reviews, then it will sell well but won't exactly surge Ps4 demand way above it's already high levels.

Then again, there ARE millions of Ps4 owners desperate for something to play. Maybe it will sell very well regardless because of that.

Toki767

Title will probably need to be changed again once Second Son comes out. It won't be the biggest debut of the year anymore.

I think being a FPS gives Titanfall the advantage in this arena because that is just such a huge market, especially in a year where the consensus seems to be that COD was a let down and BF4 while good was broken for too long.

For Infamous to make a similar splash without the massive "HAVE YOU SEEN TITANFALL?!?!?!" push Microsoft gave, it needs to kill it in the reviews. 9s and up. If it is merely a "Very good" 8ish game from most reviews, then it will sell well but won't exactly surge Ps4 demand way above it's already high levels.

Then again, there ARE millions of Ps4 owners desperate for something to play. Maybe it will sell very well regardless because of that.
my post was a joke on the modified thread title, which now fails because the title is back to the original hah!

It is saying that without hard numbers, percentage changes mean diddly squat. XB1 could've sold more last week in the UK than the PS4 and this bump could be incredible. Or the exact opposite could've happened. We simply have no idea at all

i find it very odd MS or EA hasn't come out with some TF software and hardware numbers. don't those types of announcements usually happen right after launch? I always remember CoD numbers coming out a day or two later.

teiresias

So now the title doesn't mention the PS4 sales rise at all, giving a faulty sense of importance to the Xbone rise.

Is this "LEAVE XBOX ALONE!!!" territory?

i find it very odd MS or EA hasn't come out with some TF software and hardware numbers. don't those types of announcements usually happen right after launch? I always remember CoD numbers coming out a day or two later.

Modern Warfare 3 had one VERY quick.

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=623056
More Than 6.5 Million Units Sold in U.S. and U.K. in 24 Hours

Plus couple that with the "hundreds of thousands of players" phrase, instead of "half a million" means the sales have been lackluster.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can we have a separate thread about the PS4 sale jumping without Titanfall? Wonder what spurred the second title change.

Sublyminal

Neo Member

GeoGonzo

Title will probably need to be changed again once Second Son comes out. It won't be the biggest debut of the year anymore.

Hm, I wonder about that. It could be fairly close, even if Sony had a 50% advantage in consoles sold (which I guess they don't have yet, do they?) since a multiplayer shooter seems to me a bit more mainstream than a third person action adventure.

Also, I fucking called it:

I'm amazed at the amount of people who are confused by the title change. Maybe it is, in fact, too good a thread title.

This is the thread title we deserve, even if its not the one we need right now.

The titles war seems unnecessary.

I'm getting interested in Titanfall, I may give it a chance even if I'm not so into shooters.

N30RYU

Hm, I wonder about that. It could be fairly close, even if Sony had a 50% advantage in consoles sold (which I guess they don't have yet, do they?) since a multiplayer shooter seems to me a bit more mainstream than a third person action adventure.

Also, I fucking called it:

This is the thread title we deserve, even if its not the one we need right now.
SS will sell a lot... just like Knack amd ZK did at launch

spookyfish

Which is what I find strange, activision always releases their numbers within a day or two and here, EA and MS are lolly-gagging about it. I'm honestly wondering if Titanfall is selling well at all.

I honestly think TF will take off, it'll just be a word-of-mouth slow burn. Will it be enough? Who knows

this thread is confusing me... was TF bundled for free over there like it was here? If so, I'm surprised anyone who was buying an Xbox bought one last week instead of waiting until this week. Why would anyone do that?

They should compare this week with the same week a month ago. Kinda like not comparing Jan to Dec, but comparing Jan year over year.

Duxxy3

Just an example if the PS4 actually was selling 3:2 the week before

20k x 1.96 = 39.2

30k x 1.72 = 51.6

If the PS4 had not received more stock, it's likely the XB1 would have outsold it.

If MS sold about 115k copies of titanfall and each of these copies came from a TF bundle,
We'd have 115k Xb1 bundles this week which amounted to 70% of xbone sales, which means 100% would be about 164k.
if 164k is what MS sold this week it would mean they sold 83k last week.

Now obviously Not every TF copy is going to come from a bundle, but that is the maximum amount of what they could have sold in that period.
If we take an estimate about 20% of the TF software sales as bundles, we would get about

32.8k for TitanFall week and
16.7k for the week before that :D

Cornbread78

Which is what I find strange, activision always releases their numbers within a day or two and here, EA and MS are lolly-gagging about it. I'm honestly wondering if Titanfall is selling well at all.

I'm pretty sure it is here in the US. My local Wal-Mart got 6 TF bundles in last week and sold them all over the weekend. Before that, we sold about 6 XB1's the entire month, so it's making the impact it set out to do. Some people have just been waiting for this bundle to drop before buyin an XB1. Unfortuantely, I don't think Beanie Man will make even close to the same impact, especially when stock levels are still crap for PS4 in most places. My store got our biggest shipment of PS4's since Christmas week last night and that was only 9 units! So yeah, the game is selling and most likely has a great attachment rate compared to XB1 owners.

It's okay, you can have one too.

UmZd5RI.jpg

Glad I checked before I headed off to Photoshop!

Not sure if new-thread-worthy, but:

R3OSmDs.png

(He's editor at MCV)
Wow, if that's true I think it will be safe to say that the PS4 outsold the bone in March.
Looking forwards to seeing figures.

It doesn't tell you much at all, if PS4 sales rose 74% because stock came in, it also implies there was hardly any stock the week before. That's 74% increase in sales of hardly any stock.

If MS sold about 115k copies of titanfall and each of these copies came from a TF bundle,
We'd have 115k Xb1 bundles this week which amounted to 70% of xbone sales, which means 100% would be about 164k.
if 164k is what MS sold this week it would mean they sold 83k last week.

Now obviously Not every TF copy is going to come from a bundle, but that is the maximum amount of what they could have sold in that period.
If we take an estimate about 20% of the TF software sales as bundles, we would get about

32.8k for TitanFall week and
16.7k for the week before that :D

While your logic is sound, the obvious failure [and you admit to it by claiming its the upper bound] is that no previous XB1 owners would've bought TF which in reality seems that a large majority of XB1 owners bought the console with one of the main purposes being to buy titanfall.

It would be interesting to see how much of the TF sales are from bundles as we could figure out all the other MS hardware numbers for both this week and last week from it

It is one of the biggest Xbox exclusive titles ever, and enjoyed an unprecedented year-long marketing campaign. But there has been silence from both MS and EA on the game's sales.

This almost certainly means that the game hasn't hit the sky-high sales projections both companies predicted.

Top Bottom