• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall boosts Xbox One UK sales by 96%, Tea and Crumpets for all!

While your logic is sound, the obvious failure [and you admit to it by claiming its the upper bound] is that no previous XB1 owners would've bought TF which in reality seems that a large majority of XB1 owners bought the console with one of the main purposes being to buy titanfall.

It would be interesting to see how much of the TF sales are from bundles as we could figure out all the other MS hardware numbers for both this week and last week from it

Yeah it's just the max amount nothing substantial.

It is one of the biggest Xbox exclusive titles ever, and enjoyed an unprecedented year-long marketing campaign. But there has been silence from both MS and EA on the game's sales.

This almost certainly means that the game hasn't hit the sky-high sales projections both companies predicted.

They haven't made an announcement with concrete numbers so far have they?... makes you think.

Don't they have a thing at GDC tomorrow? May not be the appropriate venue but maybe they're waiting to make an announcement then.

Hmm could also be waiting for it to hit a certain number or something. Pretty sure it took like 6 days for MS to say something about Halo 4's numbers even though they were really good if memory serves

Minions

Without anything to reference the 96% is meaningless. I'm glad the Xbox One is doing well though. I think delaying the 360 helped quite a bit with that.

I am skeptical that EA/Microsoft's silence is meaningful regarding Titanfall's sales. I would still be shocked if it wasn't a massive commercial success. The amount of media hype has been off the charts, and I can't even escape the hype in public. Two nights ago, my girlfriend and I ate at a sushi restaurant and some dudes next to us were talking about the game the whole time. Last night, I went to get groceries and a group of four college dudes were talking about the game in the vegetable isle. I am aware that's not evidence of anything, I just... I can't fathom that an underwhelming launch is even possible.

omonimo

Banned
Is it that... positive? I mean, I have read a lot of outraged post about the horrible fps/tearing performance of this game. I'm genuinely asking.

ethomaz

Banned
Guesswork :)

Week 1: 150k
Week 2: 170k
Week 7: 364k

So from Week 3 to Week 7 Xbone sold 194k units... ~38k units per week.

Using previous consoles sales in UK the drop in January/February is ~80% in week basis (December sells way better)... so to be fair we can average the week sales of Xbone in ~10k per week.

So if they sold ~10k last week then this week they sold ~20k units with 96% boost.

Most probable is that the 72% PS4 boost put the Sony's console ahead Xbone this week because the week basis in December for Sony was close to 56k... so they are already selling ~20k per week in January/February.

Guesswork of course.

DBT85

It doesn't tell you much at all, if PS4 sales rose 74% because stock came in, it also implies there was hardly any stock the week before. That's 74% increase in sales of hardly any stock.

Do we know which sold more the week before. Not numbers, just which ones old more.

96% for what?

That day?

That week?

That month?

If its only a short term bump, it doesn't mean much!

96% increase week over week.

Fuchsdh

Hmm could also be waiting for it to hit a certain number or something. Pretty sure it took like 6 days for MS to say something about Halo 4's numbers even though they were really good if memory serves

I believe you're correct, but that's also because Halo 4 wasn't going to do CoD numbers. It surpassed previous games in the franchise ($220m) so they trumpeted it that way.

Not announcing numbers right now isn't all that surprising because Titanfall isn't going to knock CoD on its ass out the gate, even if the hype is real. If we don't see numbers or high ratings in the coming month or two the 'game flopped' line would hold more water.

Cassovia

96% is for the public, numbers are important for MS.

* Their aim was probably to outsold the PS4 for more than one week, maybe even outsold it completely and for that matter they were willing to sacrifice the lost from bundled game, marketing cost and price cut. If some of this happened, they are definitely satisfied.

* If PS4 still outsold them last week, then there is a little hope for a weeks to come.

They wont release actual hard sales numbers until after the 360 release so marketing/PR can boast combined numbers. The numbers on Xbone alone are almost assuredly disappointing sounding in this age of COD sales numbers.

N.Domixis

Banned
I am skeptical that EA/Microsoft's silence is meaningful regarding Titanfall's sales. I would still be shocked if it wasn't a massive commercial success. The amount of media hype has been off the charts, and I can't even escape the hype in public. Two nights ago, my girlfriend and I ate at a sushi restaurant and some dudes next to us were talking about the game the whole time. Last night, I went to get groceries and a group of four college dudes were talking about the game in the vegetable isle. I am aware that's not evidence of anything, I just... I can't fathom that an underwhelming launch is even possible.
It's possible, you can't always buy success.

monlo

I wish there were actual numbers in this article, rather than percentages. If I'm not mistaken, UK X1 sales were abysmal beforehand, right? So, let's say X1 sold 20K units the week before Titanfall bundle released. A 96% increase is ~39K units the following week. It's a large jump... relative to prior data. But that's all we're given info on atm. Unless I'm missing something.

Jomjom

Banned
They wont release actual hard sales numbers until after the 360 release so marketing/PR can boast combined numbers. The numbers on Xbone alone are almost assuredly disappointing sounding in this age of COD sales numbers.

I think MS screwed themselves a bit by pretending the 360 version doesn't exist. I think those sales will be lower than expected because they were trying to boost the xbone version.

Estimated because the figures reported in the press (total units, and percentages) are estimates. Those are my graphs, btw, so feel free to ask about the underlying data.

Hey JVM, is there any particular logic/pattern to when there might be a press release with hardware numbers?

So far we have numbers from both launches in the UK

XB1 launch

PS4 launch

A year end look at hardware sales I guess?

And finally a little tidbit about best selling console of 2013

Any idea if there would be another announcement this year from MCV? I'm not familiar with PAL territories very much

I think MS screwed themselves a bit by pretending the 360 version doesn't exist. I think those sales will be lower than expected because they were trying to boost the xbone version.

I agree. They could have marketed it on the 360 HARD as well. Plenty of people still have them. Now I fear that it may be viewed as essentially shovelware and an afterthought. Many people either won't realize it's out for the 360 or they will just pass on it because their friends bought it on the Xbox One and they have no one to play with.

I hope it does well on the 360. That'd be great. I was going to get it for the 360, but all my friends play PS4 now and I can't justify a $60 last gen game that only has multiplayer.

Possibly late on this - for March so far the PS4 has sold more units via Amazon than the Titanfall Bone despite not having freely available stock and being back ordered for all of March (they had deliveries for the 11th, then they changed that to the 27th and now it is for April 3rd). The PS4 is ranked 15th for March and the Titanfall Bone is ranked 24th, the next hardware is all the way down in 38th which is the Infamous SS bundle that releases in a few days.

Titanfall itself has now fallen from 1st to 3rd behind Infamous and MGSGZ for PS4.

While I think that the Bone has had a recovery of sorts since the price cut and the strong pricing action by retailers, I do not believe it will be enough for MS to overhaul the large lead that PS4 has already built up. In fact I think after the end of March the ball swings further in Sony's favour as the stock issues will continue to ease and the promotional activity related to Titanfall dies down, that includes soft price cuts by retailers and the mega marketing spend by MS/EA.

I do not believe Titanfall will be a turning point for MS in the UK, and any recovery will be short lived. The PS4 hype is still very real, I think Sony have fucked up by trying to push two undesirable games in KZ and Knack via bundles though. They would have 100% sell-through in the UK if they did a DS4 bundle for the same price as the Knack/KZ bundles or just did solo units for the base price from now on. Sony need to stop shipping KZ and Knack bundles here. I know a couple of people looking for PS4 solo units to play GZ on and neither are interested in owning Knack or KZ, and neither game has any kind of trade in value. They would have bought solo PS4 units if they could get them but do not want to get KZ or Knack bundles, or the copious number of forced retailer bundles.

C4Lukins

Whatever the total is it might be the first week xbox one outsold ps4 here, as many dtores are just getting stock back in of ps4.

Looking at a couple of other weeks, it may not be the first week. They have been very close at least three or four weeks since release. Of course PS4 is supply constrained, but they have been close a few times.

Riky

$MSFT
Being a new IP I think Titanfall will have a Call Of Duty 4 type situation, word of mouth and very long legs.

Glad I checked before I headed off to Photoshop!
It doesn't tell you much at all, if PS4 sales rose 74% because stock came in, it also implies there was hardly any stock the week before. That's 74% increase in sales of hardly any stock.

Yeah, but it's relevant because that limited stock was still enough to outsell the Xbox One last week.

Possum

Not surprised by this. I would guess that Xbox One will outsell PS4 in March, but inFamous may just do better than expected.

Faddy

Banned
The bump is good for a new IP. This isn't a known game outside of enthusiast gamer circles it will be interesting if this bump can continue as the game grows in popularity. A single week bump doesn't help, Titanfall needs to provide a long tail and be driving sales for a couple of months as it becomes the must play online shooter. If we don't see that and sales numbers fall back quickly it would be a bad sign both for Titanfall and Microsoft.

Top Bottom