• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall boosts Xbox One UK sales by 96%, Tea and Crumpets for all!

PhatSaqs

Banned
isnt sony basically treating it like cod franchise on 360 last gen? Could certainly sell better on ps4 if it's the better version, has dlc first, beta first, exclusive content etc etc...

Game is being associated with ps4 so far with marketing as well..
Yeah they're money hatting it so there's no mention of other versions. I guess the money is working if some peeps are using it as fuel in teh warz.

Biker19

Banned
Yeah they're money hatting it so there's no mention of other versions. I guess the money is working if some peeps are using it as fuel in teh warz.

I don't think it has anything to do with "moneyhatting," but having better relationships with companies.

isnt sony basically treating it like cod franchise on 360 last gen? Could certainly sell better on ps4 if it's the better version, has dlc first, beta first, exclusive content etc etc...

Game is being associated with ps4 so far with marketing as well..

Not sure why MS would advertise Destiny at this point ahead of Titanfall and Kinect Sports. Destiny will probably sell better on the PS4 but I don't believe it move larger #'s of PS4's compared to XB1's. The game is on PS3 and 360 also.

I don't think it has anything to do with "moneyhatting," but having better relationships with companies.

So what Microsoft did all of last gen by keeping COD/GTA 4 DLC and so much other stuff as timed exclusives was just them having better relationships with companies?

Not sure why MS would advertise Destiny at this point ahead of Titanfall and Kinect Sports. Destiny will probably sell better on the PS4 but I don't believe it move larger #'s of PS4's compared to XB1's. The game is on PS3 and 360 also.

It doesn't need to move PS4s. PS4 is moving itself. It will have a higher adoption rate among PS4 owners compared to Xbone. That will lead to a mindset that it's better on PS4, and sequels will do better on the PS4 as a result. The same thing that happened to COD last gen.

J-Rzez

What's with this super strange trend of treating Destiny like its a PS4 exclusive just because it has exclusive content? Early marketing doesn't change that either.

Something similar to what we saw last gen with CoD from people toward the 360. Just the shoe is on the other foot this time, so I guess some people are feeling dat feel now.

It doesn't need to move PS4s. PS4 is moving itself. It will have a higher adoption rate among PS4 owners compared to Xbone. That will lead to a mindset that it's better on PS4, and sequels will do better on the PS4 as a result. The same thing that happened to COD last gen.

No CoD 2 was the most successful launch game for Xbox 360 a year before PS3 was even on the market. That is what started CoD as being more popular on 360, not to mention the fact that gameplay was pretty much the closest thing to Halo which was at the time the most popular FPS on Xbox.

There are a ton of Bungie fans on Xbox One and Xbox 360 who will buy Destiny just because it is Bungie making it.

Sony is definitely paying for the extra DLC etc, but I also think Activision sees strategic value in embedding themselves as the shooter of choice on the PS4 as a counter to Titanfall on Xbox, especially now that PS4 is seemingly doing better.

No CoD 2 was the most successful launch game for Xbox 360 a year before PS3 was even on the market. That is what started CoD as being more popular on 360, not to mention the fact that gameplay was pretty much the closest thing to Halo which was at the time the most popular FPS on Xbox.

There are a ton of Bungie fans on Xbox One and Xbox 360 who will buy Destiny just because it is Bungie making it.

Are you so sure about that? A lot of people could just buy a PS4 since Destiny was announced during the Feb unveiling. Just like how the Monster Hunter fans jumped ship from PSP to 3DS.

And you didn't really disprove my case. That one year exclusive helped create mindshare.

NolbertoS

Hmm, lttp, but reading the % without any numbers, is a hollow victory for MS. anybody and there monther can tell you, that 96% increase is subjective, it could mean 96 sales sold from a past 100 or 9600 extra sales sold from previous 10000. I do know in Marketing that the more a company spins, the dire the results, as spin equals making "bad" news look "good" news. Keep spinning away MS

Are you so sure about that? A lot of people could just buy a PS4 since Destiny was announced during the Feb unveiling. Just like how the Monster Hunter fans jumped ship from PSP to 3DS.

And you didn't really disprove my case. That one year exclusive helped create mindshare.

Also FPS games still sell better on Xbox with Battlefield 4 and CoD Ghosts selling most on Xbox One this past holiday.

I don't think most Halo fans are jumping ship considering Halo 2 anniversary, Halo 5, and Halo TV announcements this year. And FPS fans are going to the platform for exclusives like Titanfall already.

Also FPS games still sell better on Xbox with Battlefield 4 and CoD Ghosts selling most on Xbox One this past holiday.

I don't think most Halo fans are jumping ship considering Halo 2 anniversary, Halo 5, and Halo TV announcements this year. And FPS fans are going to the platform for exclusives like Titanfall already.

Sure if you exclude Europe. There is more concurrent PS4 owners on BF4. Practically almost double at times.

I didn't state Halo fans. You said Bungie fans. Bungie fans would know that Bungie is making Destiny and not Halo.

Wynnebeck

Banned

True, nurse what do you think will happen when those same Bungie fans see the game running smoother, looking crisper, and having exclusive content on a cheaper console? They will probably flock and it's this possibility that has Activision salivating at having another megahit on the more popular HD console.

True, nurse what do you think will happen when those same Bungie fans see the game running smoother, looking crisper, and having exclusive content on a cheaper console? They will probably flock and it's this possibility that has Activision salivating at having another megahit on the more popular HD console.

You better believe it does.
gangsta-gangsta-thats-what-theyre-yelling-Its-not-about-a-salary-its-all-about-re-no-wait-it-is-about-a-salary1.gif

Chobel

Exclusive content.

RedStep

Hmm, lttp, but reading the % without any numbers, is a hollow victory for MS. anybody and there monther can tell you, that 96% increase is subjective, it could mean 96 sales sold from a past 100 or 9600 extra sales sold from previous 10000. I do know in Marketing that the more a company spins, the dire the results, as spin equals making "bad" news look "good" news. Keep spinning away MS

Why did you even take the time to write that if you had no thoughts beyond what has been covered since the first page (a percentage can be anything, thank you for pointing that out), making some stuff up (below), and "MS sux"?

- Who announced the victory that your monther would declare "hollow"?
- What did MS spin? And where?

The fact that a chart group saying "these are the sales" would result in any controversy, much less so many posts from the lazy "nuh uh, you suck" lazy warriors is blowing my mind.

tazz3

MS titan fall bundle is false advertmient because there is a pic of the titan fall box and its dlc. i would be pissed MS should get get in trouble

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That kind of depends, Destiny that comes out in September will not sell forty million copies, but if he considers Destiny the base game as part of Comet, and Destiny 2, etc, it'll easily sell forty million over ten years.

Those aren't one game and you know it. Might as well combine COD.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This is what was being said. The audio of Kotick's words was posted.

"[...]Destiny, our new game from Bungie, which has the potential to be our next billion dollars franchise.

Destiny delivers a groundbreaking new universe and capitalizes on advanced connectivity to create a shared world action experience we expect that Destiny will become the best-selling new video game IP in history when it launches across Xbox and PlayStation consoles on September 9"

I accept your apology for spreading misinformation that were clarified in the thread you posted.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is what was being said. The audio of Kotick's words was posted.

"[...]Destiny, our new game from Bungie, which has the potential to be our next billion dollars franchise.

estiny delivers a groundbreaking new universe and capitalizes on advanced connectivity to create a shared world action experience we expect that Destiny will become the best-selling new video game IP in history when it launches across Xbox and PlayStation consoles on September 9"

I accept your apology for spreading misinformation that were clarified in the thread you posted.

Seriously man did you even read the link. Like at all. I didn't post it for no reason.
Destiny will be the best-selling video game in history.

Bobby Kotick said this it's right there in the link.

StuBurns

Banned
CoD are distinct games, if every WoW expansion included all previous versions, would you consider them additional sales? For me, no, but for him? Maybe.

I don't agree with the stance I just suggested, I was just stating a hypothetical interpretation. There are a lot of people who claim Tetris is the best selling game by combing all versions, I do not.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Seriously man did you even read the link. Like at all. I didn't post it for no reason.

Sorry but the actual audio and transcription from the call trumps Joystiq's bullshit to stir shit up.

If you had actually read the thread that you linked, you would know this.

Don't be mad because Kotick thinks it will be more successful than Titanfall. Maybe it won't and you can be happy and rub it in his face in October.

netBuff

What is your evidence for this? I don't believe you, the BF4 player numbers have consistently (and over multiple months now) shown an enormous lead in online players for the PS4 version.

Chobel

No he said
Destiny will be the best-selling video game IP in history.

Even joystiq updated their article
Update: As it turns out, Kotick's direct quote from the earnings statement is that Activision expects "Destiny will become the best-selling new video game IP in history," which is substantially different than being the best-selling game overall. We've updated the quote and headline accordingly. We apologize for the error.

Well it should be selling XO's... the amount of money they have thrown at this one launch is biblical... not to mention artificially delaying the 360 version. They have done everything they could short of having the PC version delayed... and not even EA is that stupid.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
CoD are distinct games, if every WoW expansion included all previous versions, would you consider them additional sales? For me, no, but for him? Maybe.

I don't agree with the stance I just suggested, I was just stating a hypothetical interpretation. There are a lot of people who claim Tetris is the best selling game by combing all versions, I do not.

There's a 2 in what you were referring to. WoW doesn't not have a sequel that's pretty obviously not one game.

Anyway I suppose that comes down to terrible games Journalism and the fact the thread title wasn't updated,

Sorry but the actual audio and transcription from the call trumps Joystiq's bullshit to stir shit up.

If you had actually read the thread that you linked, you would know this.

Don't be mad because Kotick thinks it will be more successful than Titanfall. Maybe it won't and you can be happy and rub it in his face in October.

Still a bullshit statement since that's around a 40 million copies even with the new IP qualifier. Also bringing up Titanfall why?

That's honestly quite sad considering that had nothing to do with what I was implying.

According to insiderp (is it trust worthy?)

UK :
Xbox One - 23,000 units
PS4 - 27,000 units
Titanfall Xbox One - 125,000 copies

USA :
Titanfall Xbox One - 480,000 copies
We do not have the final hardware numbers for last week, but based on the near final numbers, we have PS4 and Xbox One being virtually neck and neck, with each console selling over 100,000 units

Rest of Europe / PAL:
PS4 - 80,000 units ( Hardware sales increased 200% over the week ending March 9th, 2014)
Xbox One - 12,000 units
Titanfall Xbox One - ~100,000 units

http://www.insiderp.com/titanfall-launch-sales.html

RedStep

More like a partnership. Sadly, Microsoft has made these kind of partnerships necessary to compete.

What?! Do you not remember GTA on the PS2? MGS4 on the PS4? Final Fantasy on the PSX? Do you honestly think Microsoft invented buying exclusive stuff? Over time the tides have shifted from full games to timed games to DLC to timed DLC, but that's due to the money involved. Platforms buying shit from competitors is as old as this business. Not everything is Microsoft's fault.

noobie

Banned
According to insiderp (is it trust worthy?)

UK :
Xbox One - 23,000 units
PS4 - 27,000 units
Titanfall Xbox One - 125,000 copies

USA :
Titanfall Xbox One - 480,000 copies
We do not have the final hardware numbers for last week, but based on the near final numbers, we have PS4 and Xbox One being virtually neck and neck, with each console selling over 100,000 units

Rest of Europe / PAL:
PS4 - 80,000 units ( Hardware sales increased 200% over the week ending March 9th, 2014)
Xbox One - 12,000 units
Titanfall Xbox One - ~100,000 units

http://www.insiderp.com/titanfall-launch-sales.html

Thats not good if its true. This means that even with the launch of the biggest title MS is not able to win a single week in any territory let alone worldwide. Also this means that PS4 will be in much better shape when Infamous and MGS and MLB and other games will be launched.

I was under the impression BF4 had sold better on PS4 than XBO. And I'm pretty sure all the data we have backs that up.

Ghosts did better on Xbox One in the US, though, if I recall correctly.

Top Bottom