• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

fallagin

Please explain your position. I would love to hear why one game being 5v5 + AI controlled fodder is great, but another being 6v6 + AI controlled fodder is terrible.

The difference is that dota bots are literally part of the environment to be manipulated by actually player characters and they have absolutely no actually agency outside of what other bot they are aggro'd against in the lane. I mean, unless the bots in titanfall are actually just civilians then they will be gunning down player characters at annoying intervals based on a rng.

mr2t

Banned
Good thing they didn't do what you're suggesting, not so good that you can't even understand the concept of someone making a new game and a new experience :/

They made a first person shooter built around a 6v6 player set with tons of supporting AI characters that you can kill to power up quickly, see what you're not getting?

No I still think this concept of ai in a multiplayer shooter is terrible regardless of the player count.

Grief.exe

Is anybody bothered that AI controls non-player combatants in DOTA2, Left 4 Dead, DayZ, Grand Theft Auto 5, Dark Souls, and every single bloody hoard mode? Where is it written that every multiplayer shooter must, with absolutely no concession made to the game design, support 100% player controlled characters and zero AI? That Titanfall should have a ton of players in every map calling in their personal Titans even if it plays like diarrhoea because the map size, design, and objectives don't support the player count but fuck it lets do it anyway.

It's a magnificent sort of confusing to call out Respawn for very specific, calculated game design in their own game, one an overwhelming majority of people here haven't played, based entirely on the premise that it's not designed exactly like a bunch of other shooters on the market, shooters it's specifically designed not to be like in the first place.

Ya'll basically looking at Call of Duty and Battlefield and going "BUT WHY BOTS", instead of looking at Titanfall and thinking "Bots must serve a purpose". They're designing a 6v6 player game supplemented with limited function bot fodder, all components working together to forge the core design.

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

More like a demo.

What's the difference anymore?

Well shit, I was hoping it would be 32 v 32 on PC with a limited amount of titans that could be on a map at the same time :( . Guess I'll pick it up during a holiday sale if at all.

Fantasmo

The maps weren't made for 5v5. Did you just start with CS:GO? Because I'm getting that vibe. You really think something like de_dust was made with a total of 10 players in mind?

You can hide behind 'game design' all you want. That doesn't do anything to help people who were excited about this potentially being a large scale game. Fundamentally sound gameplay can be scaled up to various playercounts. Battlefield does this. There's no reason you couldn't have larger maps and therefore larger playercounts on PC.

If they want to have the 'design choice' of a really small game, then I'll vote with my wallet and not buy it. Just like I haven't bought a CoD game since MW2/WAW. I got tired of that style of gameplay, and this is no different. There may be AI grunts and unlockable titans, but it's still fundamentally a small scale experience. Not for me, and for people who were hoping for something large scale.

You seem desperate to claim that small scale is somehow inherently better when it's clearly not. It's just personal preference. I see no reason why we both couldn't have our cake, as they could have a 'large scale' mode that is total chaos. Curiously enough, no one seems to have a problem with the total lack of 3rd party servers and matchmaking in the year 2014.

Well you now have the option to not buy the (probably very well and tightly designed) game. If you do, boy I hope you don't use voice chat, that's going to be a painful experience.

I actually like smaller player counts. High player counts always equals more stupid shit going on. Always. 12 v12 on Dust 2 for instance is always slower, always has less coordination because deaths take a while to really matter, etc.

TF2 is another great example, 12 v 12 makes scout totally pointless on a shit ton of maps and encourages really lame chokepoint heavy bullshit. I can't think of a single shooter where high player count helped, and I've played pretty much every major shooter.

Chobel

Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.

Quoting Respawn guy for visibility.

TheD

The Detective
I plan on getting it on PC. I honestly do not see how more instantly means better. Some people have absolutely no idea what they're talking about and it's sad...

and yet the entire tournament/matchmaking scene is 5 v 5.

Yeah, like people comparing a game the size of Titanfall to CS!

The simple fact is some people like bigger player counts and should not be attacked for it!

Yeah I did jump to post too quickly on that first one.

I guess seeing 6 players on a team just felt too much like a technology restraint moreso then an actual gameplay choice. Mainly because of the type of multiplayer experiences I am drawn to. I have been a part of the " play only in clans, practice together, get organized, play like a real f'in war and kick ass " group since the jump ( first played Unreal Tournament back in the day ). Be it 32 players, 24 players, 64 players, 256 players, or planetsides 2000 players. If you run with a group of organized players, the experience is beyond enjoyable, damn near lifelike. Watching the guy in front's back, watching your flanks, calling out targets and positions, setting up organized manuevers, etc. The amount of teamwork required seems diminished when you only have 5 other people to worry about and then AI running around doing whatever they feel like.

But yeah, this sounds far too different then most other stuff to draw any conclusions on, so when the PC version hits will def. try it out if there are enough positive reactions and possibly a demo to draw some sort of conclusion on before purchasing. Planetside 2 pretty much fulfills my " sci-fi with mechs and jetpacks and crazy action all over the place at all times " gameplay need when I so desire it.

But kudos to Respawn for attempting to make something different. Just like the L4D team making the 4 players vs. hunter game that is being shown in Game Informer. More power to diversity indeed.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Why is Esports in quotes? You also honestly cannot argue fun. That's absolutely subjective.

I put it in quotes because I can. I might not be able to argue fun, but I most certainly can argue that most people prefer having as many players in a server as possible, which indicates that the vast majority of people find that more players = more fun.

Quite likely.... far, FAR more than you ever have, or will.

Then you should know that despite 6v6 being available, most Counter-Strike players prefer 24-32 player servers. The reason for Counter-Strike being so popular absolutely is not because of a small player count like you indicated in your previous post. Even way back in the day in 1.6, the majority of servers had far more than 12 players.

HariKari

It's a magnificent sort of confusing to call out Respawn for very specific, calculated game design in their own game, one an overwhelming majority of people here haven't played, based entirely on the premise that it's not designed exactly like a bunch of other shooters on the market, shooters it's specifically designed not to be like in the first place.

It could be really something different and special. That's what they are aiming for. Many people, myself included, might end up liking it. I really hope there is a demo. But I fundamentally do not like small playercounts in online shooters. It's not a MOBA. It's not an RTS. It's an online shooter.

I wouldn't call 6v6 a risky affair for Respawn but I'm curious to see how that works out with the AI.

Thats incorrect. We opened our doors in May of 2010. This will be almost 4 years from start to finish.

In the Nvidia thread you posted that PC would use the same matchmaking and backend as PC. Is Respawn willing to comment on PC player counts?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Now that sounds fun.

Kinda feel like we should know more, or maybe I've missed out on some info. The game is 3 months away, they want it to be a huge deal but I still don't know:

- what the AI does. They mention AI outside of your remote mech. Is this part of the story segments that happen in each map? Can the AI affect the battle in any way?

- what classes, skill, perks, weapons ect are.

- what's the prerequisite of calling a Titan down?

Griss

6 vs 6 doesn't mean it's automatically good or bad, but I'll admit a huge preference for larger sized multiplayer games. Battlefield is where it's at for me.

On the other hand I thought Killzone SF devolved into a clusterfuck a lot of the time. Classic mode which reduced the player count tended to be much better.

We'll just have to wait and see, this isn't enough info for anyone to form any conclusions at all.

Slair

I wish there was a mode with more players and less bots. The game could potentially be quite frustrating if you're not playing with a group of friends. Smaller teams increases the chances of coming up against a team comprised exclusively of players who all play together regularly. A group of randoms going up against a group that plays together all the time are gonna get rolled. Small team sizes is arguably when games like counterstrike and tf2 are at their best and most rewarding, it doesn't mean that the chaotic imbalanced mess that is the much larger games isn't necessary.

Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.

Great post, thanks man. Sounds like a lot of fun
There are tons of people here looking forward to playing the game, don't mind the trolls.

jcracken

Banned
I wish there was a mode with more players and less bots. The game could potentially be quite frustrating if you're not playing with a group of friends. Smaller teams increases the chances of coming up against a team comprised exclusively of players who all play together regularly. A group of randoms going up against a group that plays together all the time are gonna get rolled. Small team sizes is arguably when games like counterstrike and tf2 are at their best and most rewarding, it doesn't mean that the chaotic imbalanced mess that is the much larger games isn't necessary.

Have you played the game yet?

This... is slightly disappointing news. Personally, I can't see why they can't have different modes with higher player counts. Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Counter-Strike, all do it.

Still though, if it works for the game I suppose it isn't a deal-breaker.

"Don't give us money! We don't care!"

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
In the Nvidia thread you posted that PC would use the same matchmaking and backend as PC. Is Respawn willing to comment on PC player counts?

Unless we specify something to a platform when we mention it, we're talking about Titanfall, not Titanfall: Xbox One Edition or Titanfall: PC Version. Would be silly to design a game for one thing then do something different on a separate platform, no?

NeoGash

Just reading the first page makes me facepalm, how are the other 11?

Any other news.

Don't read them, for god's sake don't read them!! Unless you want to have to surgically remove your palm from your skull.

Yes, some people in this thread are more than likely allowed to vote for governments that dictate how we ALL live. Scary world.

Portugeezer

This... is slightly disappointing news. Personally, I can't see why they can't have different modes with higher player counts. Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Counter-Strike, all do it.

Still though, if it works for the game I suppose it isn't a deal-breaker.

"Don't give us money! We don't care!"

Guess I'll have to buy it now. Nice reverse psychology.

Sneds

Unless we specify something to a platform when we mention it, we're talking about Titanfall, not Titanfall: Xbox One Edition or Titanfall: PC Version. Would be silly to design a game for one thing then do something different on a separate platform, no?

It's not unheard of.

Grief.exe

Quoting Respawn guy for visibility.

Thanks for showing that, I would have missed it otherwise.

HariKari

Depends on whether or not you view all three platforms as having the same strengths. I would tend to disagree, and the design of other games would as well. But more power to you for answering fans and defending your design decisions. That I can get behind.

lucius

6 vs 6 sounds ok but for a game being hyped the next gen multiplayer game to own just sounds funny you can't have more, which I am sure some would people would want.

Fantasmo

I put it in quotes because I can. I might not be able to argue fun, but I most certainly can argue that most people prefer having as many players in a server as possible, which indicates that the vast majority of people find that more players = more fun.

Then you should know that despite 6v6 being available, most Counter-Strike players prefer 24-32 player servers. The reason for Counter-Strike being so popular absolutely is not because of a small player count like you indicated in your previous post. Even way back in the day in 1.6, the majority of servers had far more than 12 players.

Get out! No way!
Hey look I can be snarky and uppity and insulting too. Quit it.

Hey, did you know that CS was designed around a much smaller player count? Did you know that CoDs were designed around 12-18 players? If you don't like smaller games, don't poop on it because some of us do okay? Buy something else.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Is anybody bothered that AI controls non-player combatants in DOTA2, Left 4 Dead, DayZ, Grand Theft Auto 5, Dark Souls, and every single bloody hoard mode? Where is it written that every multiplayer shooter must, with absolutely no concession made to the game design, support 100% player controlled characters and zero AI? That Titanfall should have a ton of players in every map calling in their personal Titans even if it plays like diarrhoea because the map size, design, and objectives don't support the player count but fuck it lets do it anyway.

Ya'll basically looking at Call of Duty and Battlefield and going "BUT WHY BOTS", instead of looking at Titanfall and thinking "Bots must serve a purpose". They're designing a 6v6 player game supplemented with limited function bot fodder, all components working together to forge the core design.
Player controlled AI is pretty much my favorite feature in a multiplayer game. Really interested to see what direction that goes in.

Milennia

Kinda feel like we should know more, or maybe I've missed out on some info. The game is 3 months away, they want it to be a huge deal but I still don't know:

- what the AI does. They mention AI outside of your remote mech. Is this part of the story segments that happen in each map? Can the AI affect the battle in any way?

Theres a ton we don't know yet, thats why we have to take it slow and not jump to conclusions.

When we see the game running in its near final form, we should get a good grasp on what Respawn means when they say theres a lot going on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sounds great. Can't really see 8v8 doing much for gameplay, might be too chaotic with titans and all.

Unfortunately, there will be a meme made out of this for fanboys to wank over for the next few months and shit up every Titanfall thread henceforward.

Grief.exe

There will probably be a massive marketing push starting in February. AAA games publishers have this down to a science by now.

You call a Titan down after a set period of time, you can decrease this time by increasing your score via kills, captures, etc.

Cheddahz

Banned
Why is everyone bitching about this? Most of the time when a FPS allows a bunch of players into one match, it turns out to not be fun and you're just getting killed right when you spawn most of the time

The 12 player limit here works and I totally respect Respawn's decision to make 12 players the limit

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Great post, thanks man. Sounds like a lot of fun
There are tons of people here looking forward to playing the game, don't mind the trolls.

Doesn't bother me none. I just honestly want the most amount of people to keep their minds open and give it a try.

shandy706

Nice!

Hey HariKari...how about reassessing your comment.

Looks like a max minimum possible number of 36 when it comes to player count. That's if there are only 12 AI, 12 players, and 12 Titans.

He says dozens of AI...so maybe more.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn reading post #558 is getting me so hyped. Can't wait.

Hahahaha. :p Sorry but that made me laugh. Either way, I appreciate your input and I can't wait to play Titan Fall in 2 months! :)

Top Bottom