• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

Serrato

I'll reiterate, Unreal Tournament too was 6v6. And it's awesome, well i'm still looking for a game to beat UT great Arena Packed FPS battle.

Maybe this one?

kuYuri

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/9/529...packed-with-nearly-50-combatants-including-ai

"The higher the player count, the more uncomfortable the game gets," he said. "Unlike in most games where you can sit there and guard the two ways in, in Titanfall the guy can come in through the window right behind you, he can come from the window to your left, he can come from straight ahead, he can come in from the stairway and he can come in from the doorway, or whatever. Essentially there are five directions you can get killed from and the higher that player count, the more likely you are to get killed from behind and the more difficult it is to kind of manage your surroundings."

I've seen tons of complaints from people about how there are too many ways to get into a room in CoD and makes it hard to defend anything. Oh joy! I look forward to hearing these same complaints again for TF. ;)

So it looks like the AI players are almost certainly going to be grunts patrolling the map a-la MOBA style, where their only objectives are to walk around, capture objectives, and just die and respawn over and over.

It kind of feels like they're making the game too noob-friendly.

Not sure if I'm completely happy about that because it makes finding and shooting the human player out of all the AI extensively difficult. Not to mention slaying bots gets tiresome after awhile. What makes playing vs. humans so fun is the unpredictability of it. You never know how skilled the other player is going to be.

It's Respawn, they've always been about making it easy and accessible to get into their games.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
My only issue with all this is that the game is artificially making the game look and feel that it is a big battle, when it really isn't at all.

Something about that makes me feel uneasy. It is to make every one feel a bad ass, but to me it all seems totally pointless. No match actually matters as you haven't really killed another player 90 percent of the time.

I will with hold judgement until i can play it tho..

Raide

My only issue with all this is that the game is artificially making the game look and feel that it is a big battle, when it really isn't at all.

Something about that makes me feel uneasy. It is to make every one feel a bad ass, but to me it all seems totally pointless. No match actually matters as you haven't really killed another player 90 percent of the time.

I will with hold judgement until i can play it tho..

The game seems to trying to focus around the singleplayer side of things, like having objectives and a narrative running through it, instead of a deathmatch style mode where people just chase top score or K/D ratio. It does not seem to be all about who gets the best kills and who is at the top of the leaderboard, since it is always focused around co-op play.

MutFox

Banned
I'll reiterate, Unreal Tournament too was 6v6. And it's awesome, well i'm still looking for a game to beat UT great Arena Packed FPS battle.

Maybe this one?

Yeah, and people made their own servers where they added more player slots!
I personally loved playing on 12v12 servers in UT!

Also loved the amount of mods the game got.
My favorite mod was strangelove.

Glad the devs didn't lock it down.
Great to have choice isn't it! :D

Doikor

Maybe this one?

And the most fun I ever had in UT or Quake games was dueling it out 1v1. Timing for powerups/weapons and battling for map control was the best in those games.

Effect

I don't think that's all that relevant. If say they had created a game mechanic that absolutely could not be done in the 360 version, do you think it'd be in the Xbone version? They have to design with the 360 version in mind just like any other cross gen game out there.

I wonder if some people have forgotten this. That this is going to be a 360 game. I fully expect people to have a "fit" as well when more information about Destiny starts to come out. That's being released on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in addition to the PC, PS4, and XBO.

Osiris397

Banned
All of the belly aching about this is way too over the top for me. I mean, these are probably the same people that will say the game is set up for cheaters when they keep getting headshotted from a blindside...lol.

6v6 is fine for the level design they have, there's lots of cramped spaces, dilapidated buildings and low bridges/skywalks. I just can't wait for the sequel to show up on PS4. I'l play it on PC, but I've definitely lost some interest in the game concept as a whole since the original announcement.

MutFox

Banned
I mean, these are probably the same people that will say the game is set up for cheaters when they keep getting headshotted from a blindside...lol.

That's exactly right! Those gamers must suck! I'll add a lol at the end too, makes me sound better than others, lol

I think most players are upset because 6v6 for an online only game doesn't translate to the scale of a 60 dollar game. If you look at Warhawk for the ps3, one of the first online experiences I had for that system, it was online only at a 40 dollar proposition. That game was loads of fun, enemies could come in than "more than 2 ways" and it had a higher player count with interesting Ariel combat.

People also love competition in shooters. By adding ai, there is a valid reason for concern that the game will be broken by too strong ai, or ai that is too weak and easy to kill. That said, I have no idea how the ai even factors into the game. Do you get points for killing ai? Does it add points to get your titan?

The only direct comparison of a competitive game I can think of are MOBA games, but the minions in those games are basically running on a linear line and can be predicted into strategy. If the AI is advanced in Titanfall at the end of the match people will say your "enemy ai was better, blah, blah, blah".

While I think Titanfall will be awesome, I do think it's getting way too much hype. It looks like call of duty with mechs, and for a while, everyone in the reviews industry have been saying "no more call of dutys." This game is call of duty with steroids and a new paint job, and no one seems to really notice.
Your post is fair until that last paragraph. It's an extremely reductionist view that you could apply to anything. "Battlefield is just CoD with a higher focus on larger teams and vehicles" "Counter Strike is just CoD without killstreaks and you earn guns between rounds". You could break down many games that way but you'd be ignoring most of the stuff that makes each game unique and how much even minor tweaks when aggregated with others can affect the experience.

When people say they're tired of CoD it's because nothing or few things mechanically change significantly between 5 some odd sequels that are released every year. But if the next CoD had wall running, double jumping, AI npcs, and mechs in every game, wouldn't that be a big deal and significantly change the experience?

Fonz72

All of a sudden GAF becomes proffesional developers and know whats best even before the games released.

HAHAHA what do you mean "All of a sudden"!!!????

Ryan Mccaffrey from IGN has a great theory about all of this anger/confusion over 6v6. On Podcast Unlocked he said it's just Playstation fanboys riling everyone up because they are upset about the Microsoft exclusivity!!!!!!

That guy............

gaming_noob

We are in the Groundhog Day of NeoGAF Threads and we cannot get out!

Loved that movie.
6v6 with bots, that involves wall climbing/hopping, jet pack boosts is a lot of chaos. I have faith in Respawn in making the right decision to limit the number of players.

Tsundere

Banned
Do we have any information on whether this will have 3D support on PC?

This game especially should be a treat in 3D since you'll be spending a lot of time in the Mechs
Titans
where 3D depth would be really cool.

MutFox

Banned
HAHAHA what do you mean "All of a sudden"!!!????

Ryan Mccaffrey from IGN has a great theory about all of this anger/confusion over 6v6. On Podcast Unlocked he said it's just Playstation fanboys riling everyone up because they are upset about the Microsoft exclusivity!!!!!!

That guy............

What a great gaming "journalist"
What about people that want the user slots moddable on PC?
Where the game is coming out...

I'm still interested in the game... On PC.
Just want some more details...

Loved that movie.
6v6 with bots, that involves wall climbing/hopping, jet pack boosts is a lot of chaos. I have faith in Respawn in making the right decision to limit the number of players.

On console that might be a lot to handle on a controller where aiming is a lot slower than with a mouse...

Grief.exe

What a great gaming "journalist"
What about people that want the user slots moddable on PC?
Where the game is coming out...

I'm still interested in the game... On PC.
Just want some more details...

Servers are using the Microsoft Azure dedicated server platform, aka The Cloud, so I highly doubt we will have able to own/rent our own servers for custom game modes or player counts.

I love the 6v6 idea, but I think it would be a missed opportunity by Respawn to not include a 12v12 deathmatch mode that removes Titans and bots from the field. Or allow us to do something similar on PC.

They're not supposed to work like normal AI. They're not supposed to behave like humans. They're supposed to be easier fodder for everyone.

Their purpose is to make everyone feel like they're good at fps games

Edit: everyone knows the feeling. When you're constantly dying you hate the game but one match you get a kill streak and it's your favorite game ever.

Serrato

If they offer some low-gravity Insta-Gib matches. :D

Yes!

Yeah, and people made their own servers where they added more player slots!
I personally loved playing on 12v12 servers in UT!

Also loved the amount of mods the game got.
My favorite mod was strangelove.

Glad the devs didn't lock it down.
Great to have choice isn't it! :D

Yes, They don't do games like that anymore. :(

And the most fun I ever had in UT or Quake games was dueling it out 1v1. Timing for powerups/weapons and battling for map control was the best in those games.

Yup, it was so godly designed. Though you had to take a small map for duels otherwise you would look around for 10 mins for each kill.

Raide

Their purpose is to make everyone feel like they're good at fps games

Edit: everyone knows the feeling. When you're constantly dying you hate the game but one match you get a kill streak and it's your favorite game ever.

It could also be a way for players to be able to contribute to the overall mission that does not just involve getting the most kills. It is still a MP game with SP built into it, so it more than just K/D Ratio.

Sure its cool getting those good Killstreaks but many players will never touch the high end stuff and most games are littered with all the bog standard stuff, which is still unbalanced enough to stop people having fun or to make people feel inferior when they get headshotted for the 100th time.

gioGAF

Who knows, bots might be a good idea. I wouldn't mind being able to replace bad players with bots in Call of Duty. One of these 3-22 or 0-17 clowns on my team can be enough to ruin the experience. I think a bot would be hard pressed to post such garbage numbers.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Who knows, bots might be a good idea. I wouldn't mind being able to replace bad players with bots in Call of Duty. One of these 3-22 or 0-17 clowns on my team can be enough to ruin the experience. I think a bot would be hard pressed to post such garbage numbers.

But that sucky player will still be one of the six on your team.

iJudged

Banned
If we had the infinite power of the cloud we could trade those 12 bots in for 4 more players.
*BoooM* there it is! Took a while.

Applause.gif

flkraven

Servers are using the Microsoft Azure dedicated server platform, aka The Cloud, so I highly doubt we will have able to own/rent our own servers for custom game modes or player counts.

I love the 6v6 idea, but I think it would be a missed opportunity by Respawn to not include a 12v12 deathmatch mode that removes Titans and bots from the field. Or allow us to do something similar on PC.

What? But then it wouldn't be the experience the developers wanted to make. If you want 12v12 with no Titans or AI, just add double jump and wall running to CoD and you are set.

zlatko

Banned
6v6 sounds fine to me.

Gears of War one of my favorite MP franchises left off on what, 5v5? Great flow to combat.

Titan Fall can most definitely succeed with 6v6 in order to have controlled chaos. I'd be surprised if this game comes out and doesn't still have BS "respawn" behind me kills like CoD is plagued with.

Multiple ways to die from? Sounds like a campers paradise... I hope they took efforts to keep the MP focused on constant alerts on where the players are. None of this "ghost" bs.

abadguy

Banned
Has there ever been this much of a shit storm over player count in a shooter before now? Cause i don't remember it ever happening before.

BS. Halo is incredibly popular and plays great with a small amount of players.

Warhawk is a good game, Battlefield is a good game, doesn't mean that every game needs tons of players.

This thread would have 10 posts in it if Titanfall was coming out for PS4. It's an easy way for fanboys to take shots, nothing more.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think most players are upset because 6v6 for an online only game doesn't translate to the scale of a 60 dollar game. If you look at Warhawk for the ps3, one of the first online experiences I had for that system, it was online only at a 40 dollar proposition. That game was loads of fun, enemies could come in than "more than 2 ways" and it had a higher player count with interesting Ariel combat.

BS. Halo is incredibly popular and plays great with a small amount of players.

Warhawk is a good game, Battlefield is a good game, doesn't mean that every game needs tons of players.

This thread would have 10 posts in it if Titanfall was coming out for PS4. It's an easy way for fanboys to take shots, nothing more.

There's nothing wrong with 12-player limits. None at all. The quality of a multiplayer shooter with regards to the number of players in a match is all about the map design/size per player count, it has nothing to do with the player count alone, so I wouldn't be concerned about that.

The reams of AI bots sounds quite shitty indeed, though. If we're looking at up to ~30 bots as some articles have suggested then they basically seem to be present for maximum 'everyone's a winner' effect.

EL CUCO

Not sure if this has been talked about so forgive me if it has.
First Titanfall gameplay had 7v7 battles, player cap "isn't a tech limitation"
"We just found that 6v6 is the sweet spot for everything."

Source:http://www.oxm.co.uk/69185/first-ti...v7-battles-player-cap-isnt-a-tech-limitation/

I understand the "sweet spot" part, but I'm soo sceptical of the "isnt a tech limitation" comment. Especially since ALL that gameplay we have seen has been PC's. Has there been any Xbox One footage released yet?

Raide

Source:http://www.oxm.co.uk/69185/first-ti...v7-battles-player-cap-isnt-a-tech-limitation/

I understand the "sweet spot" part, but I'm soo sceptical of the "isnt a tech limitation" comment. Especially since ALL that gameplay we have seen has been PC's. Has there been any Xbox One footage released yet?

Sadly this is old news but people either think the developers are utterly lying and it must be the Xbox One that can barely string 6v6 matches together or they are telling the truth and they tested it and found that amount suited their game design brief.

We have seen PC footage with Xbox button prompts, so that could be taken a few different ways but nothing concrete has appeared for the 360 or Xbox One version.

swcpig

Banned

Why would you think it's a technical limitation of the Xbox One? Is that the assumption? You got 64 players on Battlefield on huge maps. The difference is design and intention.

As much as I like BF4, technical problems aside (ironic conversation warning), I do also like squad based FPS combat. Even then this game sounds more of a hybrid/action/arcade than anything we've seen in the past.

abadguy

Banned

Again what "tech limitation" is going to force Titanfall to be at 6v6 when ( again) on the very same console you have a 64 player shooter?

EL CUCO

Again what "tech limitation" is going to force Titanfall to be at 6v6 when ( again) on the very same console you have a 64 player shooter?

You got a point.

I guess I'm one of those that expected more players :/ I'd rather play with more friends than AI but that's just me.

I'll hold off until after its released and see how it goes.

Celegus

Haha, I can't believe people are outraged over something like this. You really want more people crammed in there when the developer said this is what works the best? Getting spawn camped and killed every 5 seconds is your idea of a good time?

Havel

There's a number of reasons why I'm not buying this game and 6v6 is not one of them.

Seriously why is this even an 'issue'?

But... then that "tech limitation" would limit the number of soldiers in game. AI soldiers are still drawn on screen, you know. It costs the same to render an AI soldier and a human pilot.

Calen

This. I fear the "technical limitation" comes from developing for both generations.

Edit: Both of versions that we have yet to see running on the systems.
There's been multiple actual Titanfall coders and designers in this very thread among other places telling people very directly that this isn't any kind of tech limitation on any platform whatsoever. I don't know how much more clearly any of us can say this.

Grief.exe

We haven't seen the Xbox One version yet, just the PC version.

I doubt they will even show the Xbox One version until the review copies go out, why not put your best foot forward?

Top Bottom