• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall PC - $5

This campaign mode is the dumbest fucking thing. Probably the worst example of a shoehorned singleplayer/multiplayer mode in a FPS I have ever seen.

Get it through you heads, AAA devs: your open world shooters don't need to have a multiplayer mode and your 6v6 shooting games don't need a singleplayer campaign.

That being said, I'm really digging Titanfall right now.

Mechazawa

Get it through you heads, AAA devs: your open world shooters don't need to have a multiplayer mode and your 6v6 shooting games don't need a singleplayer campaign.

There was a stream of posters here that would. not. stop. bitching about the lack of a campaign prior to Titanfall's release.

The "campaign" in this probably satisfied no one, but it's not hard to understand why Respawn felt they needed some kind of element of that in the game.

khaaan

Any tips for someone inexperienced with the FPS genre itself?

I only got this game because my friend did and I'm having a surprising amount of fun but aside from the first match or two I've been consistently coming in at the bottom. I get maybe one or two pilot kills or one or two titan kills but that seems to be where I level out, of course this partially has to do with the group I get pitted up against but it's still clear that I'm not a very good player.

The training mode did a fine job of introducing most of the basics but I don't feel like I have any place to practice and grow without feeling like I'm pissing off my team members. Also, for some reason there have been many moments where I feel like I totally killed that guy but my kills don't seem to reflect it...maybe it's just a grunt or I end up assisting...oh, and before I forget, do kills not count once the count-down for the drop ship starts?

Pachimari

been playing for hours today, man is it a really fun game. Mixing it up between mech and foot is a blast.
Is it possible to be a group of friends playing together all the time?

If so, we could get together some gaffers?

I'm up for playing this.

Zareka

I don't get the people saying this game isn't worth $5 because "the community's dead". It's not. Every time I decide to play, I find a match no problem. There are definitely still people playing.

Second, it's 5 dollars. That's, what, close to £3? That's nothing. A couple chocolate bars will run you £3. You're not going to break bank by dropping that amount, even if you decide to drop the game pretty quickly. You probably do the same thing with steam games every year anyway.

Edit: I'd throw my Origin ID in here but I'm way too busy with Persona Q/Pokemon to play right now. Don't wanna go adding people and then never play with them. :p

bwat47

Neo Member
I don't get the people saying this game isn't worth $5 because "the community's dead". It's not. Every time I decide to play, I find a match no problem. There are definitely still people playing.

Second, it's 5 dollars. That's, what, close to £3? That's nothing. A couple chocolate bars will run you £3. You're not going to break bank by dropping that amount, even if you decide to drop the game pretty quickly. You probably do the same thing with steam games every year anyway.

Yeah, I've never seen people so committed to crying doom about a game that's clearly not dead (I think respawn is partly to blame here though, they really should have consolidated the amount of playlists on pc, too many playlists in a game that doesn't have a huge playerbase makes it feel empty. They are in kind of a lose-lose situation here though because people will freak out if any playlists are removed, like when they tried making ctf only available in variety pack) .

I rarely have trouble finding games in titanfall, and at 5 dollars its definitely a steal. I bought it for 60 at release and don't regret it, already got about 300 hours out of it and still play it occasionally.

Yeah, I've never seen people so committed to crying doom about a game that's clearly not dead (I think respawn is partly to blame here though, they really should have consolidated the amount of playlists on pc, too many playlists in a game that doesn't have a huge playerbase makes it feel empty. They are in kind of a lose-lose situation here though because people will freak out if any playlists are removed, like when they tried making ctf only available in variety pack) .

I rarely have trouble finding games in titanfall, and at 5 dollars its definitely a steal. I bought it for 60 at release and don't regret it, already got about 300 hours out of it and still play it occasionally.

This really needs to happen. The current population is good for maybe 3-4 playlists. I get that some modes will be left out but they need to be aggressive.

TDM
Objective
Pilot only/Last Titan
Co op.

That should be it. Kill the DLC playlists already. There were less than double digits in them last I checked.

Or make the DLC free on the PC. I know that wont be fair to people who paid for it but its better than the current situation where they dont get to play it at all.

Get ruthless with the culling.

bwat47

Neo Member
This really needs to happen. The current population is good for maybe 3-4 playlists. I get that some modes will be left out but they need to be aggressive.

TDM
Objective
Pilot only/Last Titan
Co op.

That should be it. Kill the DLC playlists already. There were less than double digits in them last I checked.

Or make the DLC free on the PC. I know that wont be fair to people who paid for it but its better than the current situation where they dont get to play it at all.

Get ruthless with the culling.

Yep, the paid DLC on pc was their other big mistake. I wish game devs would realize how terrible of an idea paid map DLC is for a multiplayer game, especially if the playerbase isn't huge. And the DLC playlists should definitely be killed off already. Most people that got the DLC probably got the season pass anyway, and I end up playing on DLC maps on the regular attrition playlist often enough.

bwat47

Neo Member
I play it on PC every day, sometimes very early (10am EST), in the afternoon, or late (2AM EST). I wait less for a game than I do with COD:AW in all cases.

This is an absolute steal. I'm really crushed that Respawn has to discount their game this much to get people interested.
Agreed. All these claim s that its dead are ridiculous.

The population isn't big but its certainly not dead.

What's 'dead' varies between people. If there's less than a thousand people in a playlist, but they're all close to you, not such a big deal. Depends where you live.

The population is low enough that I decided to pass on it. Obviously that doesn't mean it's 'dead' to you or anyone else, but it's 'dead' for me.

And as someone else said, having like 15 playlists when the population is low is insanity. I'm not sure what they should keep or whatever, but they should definitely trim that down.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
This campaign mode is the dumbest fucking thing. Probably the worst example of a shoehorned singleplayer/multiplayer mode in a FPS I have ever seen.

That being said, I'm really digging Titanfall right now.

Done right, this game would of been awesome as a single player. Would of attracted a lot more people who don't care about multiplayer games that's for sure.

xHiryu

I bought the game on Friday, me and four buddies were playing it all night. Its dead in every playlist other an Attrition (TDM), but its still a great time. Had consistently good matches every time, did about 20 or so matches.

I bought the game on Friday, me and four buddy were playing it all night. Its dead in every playlist other an Attrition (TDM), but its still a great time. Had consistently good matches every time, did about 20 or so matches.

As much as I have enjoyed my time with Origin, I kind of wish that EA would put the game out on Steam for $5 and try to make some money selling maps while also growing the player base for the sequel that I assume we will see in 2015/2016.

SURGEdude

Glad to see the population is up a bit. Never had a big issue with finding attrition games, but its a lot better for the other modes now.

I'm surgedude on Origin, and XBL but with the map packs also.

What is this ranking system all about? I only have a limited time to climb my ranking score?

Is there some sort of COD-like prestige system in this game cause fuck that noise.

EDIT: btw I'll just add all of you who posted your origin names.

Iorv3th

What is this ranking system all about? I only have a limited time to climb my ranking score?

Is there some sort of COD-like prestige system in this game cause fuck that noise.

Yeah it's like COD prestige but called Generation or something instead.

Lemstar

Ranked play projects how well you "should" be doing based on your skill and performance relative to those of the other players in the game, then ranks you up or down based on your performance relative to that norm.

Regeneration is the game's term for prestiging, although you can't just get to level 50 and regen instantly - after the first time, you'll have to finish specific challenges each time.

khaaan

Is there a family sharing type thing on Origin? I think my little brother (who is more into shooters than I) would really enjoy it but I don't want him playing on my account and ending up taking me to a level I shouldn't be at. Would it be best to just have him make his own origin account and get the game for him?

If you guys don't mind playing with someone who is pretty bad at the game, feel free to add me! (Quote to see)

manfestival

add me on origin : roastedham

I have been playing it since getting it on PC. I expected some different things but the game is good fun and it does suffer from the problems that I expected of it lacking in content. However, for 5 dollars its a steal of a deal! Loving the game so far

Man, Titanfall at launch was the greatest. Everyone couldn't stop talking about it, and it was so good. I don't understand how it fizzled out so fast

manfestival

the game reminds me of warhawk in a sense. the online only aspect. the possibility of a very cool campaign/single player game that seems to be outlined by concept art. both games lacked content in my eyes but titanfall had the big premium price. I felt this way about the first and second left 4 dead games but I did eventually get the second at a cheap price and love it for what it is. just couldnt justify the price for the content but I did get good value from each

Iorv3th

The smart pistol just feels like such a poor choice for them to include in this. Feels dumb when bunny hopping is a viable tactic with that.

SURGEdude

The smart pistol just feels like such a poor choice for them to include in this. Feels dumb when bunny hopping is a viable tactic with that.

I'm actually less bothered by it than I expected I'd be when I heard how it worked way back. It's not the overpowered beast I was worried about.

M.D

Its kind of annoying when you get killed by it but most people don't use it anyway

I had a free day and played pretty much the entire day.
The game is really fun, its been a while since I played an online FPS, but the game feels really balanced and rewarding.

I'm surprised by how well they implemented the traversal element, its working really well and lets you use pretty much every part of the environment.
The map being so big had me worried at first, but you can get around the map so fast it doesn't really matter.

Shooting and handling the titans feels pretty damn good as well
My favorite thing is getting in the face of other titans with punches then do the eject and watch the beautiful explosion ;p

BTW, Thanks for all the people who added me! I was online all day and none of you were so I suspect were on different time zones (or you just have work haha), but hope we can play together

manfestival

Its kind of annoying when you get killed by it but most people don't use it anyway

I had a free day and played pretty much the entire day.
The game is really fun, its been a while since I played an online FPS, but the game feels really balanced and rewarding.

I'm surprised by how well they implemented the traversal element, its working really well and lets you use pretty much every part of the environment.
The map being so big had me worried at first, but you can get around the map so fast it doesn't really matter.

Shooting and handling the titans feels pretty damn good as well
My favorite thing is getting in the face of other titans with punches then do the eject and watch the beautiful explosion ;p

BTW, Thanks for all the people who added me! I was online all day and none of you were so I suspect were on different time zones (or you just have work haha), but hope we can play together

most of the maps honestly feel too small for what the game is and the pace that its going

Argonomic

So this is how it feels to throw $5 to the garbage :(

The tutorial was tons of fun, but now I cant connect to ANY game, the levels take around 2 minutes to load and when they are finished, I just get kicked out of games. :(

Which data center are you connecting to?

Top Bottom