• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga Nears Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Bleach worth reading? I can get two box sets (1-21 and 22-48) for a very low price.

Well, this is actually just the first "half" of the manga. If you stop at 48, you should be good, although the "final" arc is pretty poor. Not as poor as the actual final arc, though.

Basically, these volumes are kind of okay to read, but the series overall just isn't very good.

When they added a second faction of sentient hollows that in practice were exactly the same as the captain's is where you feel Kubo s lack of any storytelling capacity begin to hit hard.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Which conversely, is also the point where I would say his style meter hits equally hard, because all of their designs were pretty sick, and a lot of really cool shit started happening, even if it was a lot of style over substance.

Mokujin

Yes, just stop after the arrancar/Aizen arcd

I remember hating the Fullbring arc and stopped reading about 1/3 into the last arc, but some weeks ago I decided to finish it and I have to say that I have enjoyed it a lot more than I though.

Yes, a lot of things unanswered and lost potential but still looking back I would rather skip the Fullbring arc but I think finishing the last arc it's worth it.

Liha

Banned
No.

Unless you want your brain bleached, I guess.

Get the first set then just stop

Bleach had terrible pacing that made volumes blew up more than it should have been. If you do want so, I'd rather go digital or using a subscription service or something.

Yes, just stop after the arrancar/Aizen arcd

I loved it. Sure, it was a mess in its final stretch and the end was rushed and don't really tie up eveything, but the art in the whole manga is just so awesome and it is good for a very long time. If it is a really low price, go for it!

Yes and no.

So take that as you will.

Well, this is actually just the first "half" of the manga. If you stop at 48, you should be good, although the "final" arc is pretty poor. Not as poor as the actual final arc, though.

Basically, these volumes are kind of okay to read, but the series overall just isn't very good.

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it. I will order the first 21 volumes and wanna give it a try.

More info on the novels
Matsubara is writing the Bleach: WE DO knot ALWAYS LOVE YOU novel, which will center on Rukia and Renji's wedding ceremony in Soul Society. The novel will ship on December 27. Matsubara previously wrote the Bleach: The Death Save The Strawberry novel (pictured at right), which Shueisha published in 2012.

Narita's novel centers on Shūhei Hisagi. Shūhei must throw himself into a new fight as the mystery that Kaname Tōsen left behind resurfaces. The story will reveal more details about the four noble families, the Soul King, Arrancar, and Fullbringers. The novel is slated for 2017. Narita previously wrote the two-volume Bleach: Spirits Are Forever With You novel series, which Shueisha published in 2012.
Title and release date for Renji/Rukia novel revealed. Hope we get the cover art on Monday.
Arrancar and Fullbringer stuff for the Shuhei novel is new.

Setsuna

It did for a while, yeah, but it's really not that much of a surprise that a long running manga would improve its art over time. JoJo alone is a pretty big sign of that being a thing that happens, where you'd almost swear the series changed artists between its first chapter and now if you didn't see the comparison chart showing Araki's style improving and evolving over time.

The thing with Bleach is that, while that improvement did exist, it also eventually started getting worse as it drew closer to its end. That's the more surprising thing, at least when considering that the other mangas that have dipped in art quality had other circumstances (re: Togashi's health, Kishimoto's switch to digital drawing) that don't quite exist for Bleach.

So you were wrong. And Kubo has been suffering from illnesses for the better half of a decade

Cover art for WE DO knot ALWAYS LOVE YOU
tumblr_ohw8f3Wt5K1uqph3go1_400.jpg

Eusis

Is that the dumb sibling to the Rebuild of Evangelion titles?

I guess it is about what I'd expect if you asked Tite Kubo to make one of them.

Strimei

So hey figure I'll post some info! Apparently some stuff from that upcoming light novel is leaking.

Yhwach's body is being used as the Soul King's replacement

Also Kira is indeed still alive and apparently just walking around with that big honking cavity in his chest like its no big thing (though he keeps it covered up with his robe).

I was wondering what happened to Kira. Him being A-OK with that cavity was not what I expected.

Edzi

So hey figure I'll post some info! Apparently some stuff from that upcoming light novel is leaking.

Also Kira is indeed still alive and apparently just walking around with that big honking cavity in his chest like its no big thing (though he keeps it covered up with his robe).

I was wondering what happened to Kira. Him being A-OK with that cavity was not what I expected.

This is dumb.

Yeah.

This is stupid.

Honestly? It makes sense.

The series ended without explaining how they fucking fixed the world and, aside from Ichigo, Ywach was the only possible replacement for the Soul King. He literally was the Soul King for all intents and purposes, so keeping his body as a replacement does work in that context.

Strimei

Honestly, it does make sense.

I will agree,
it explains his body still has a lot of power and is being used as a lynchypin, though they also covered up the murder of the original King so no one outside the Soul Reapers who were present for the war are aware. That said, I imagine something'll come of his body.

Maximo

I expected nothing less from Bleach amazing, needs to bump the stupid factor up by 10 who cares now Aizen should be Ichigo's farther.

Ray Down

Banned

So Bleach pulled a weekend at bernies

Edzi

How about Kubo answers WTF the soul king even was before we go into Ywach's body? Or even Aizen's motivations for that matter.

Strimei

Bah, I don't care about plot details and stuff that makes sense Except for that Kira bit, that sounds amazing.

Yoruichi asks him about it, he doesn't want to show her, so she basically knocks him down or something and is starting to strip him, straddling him. A coworker enters the room at this point with two female soul reapers in tow, newbies to ask questions or something to that extent. They see this sight, then leave, and the next day rumors of a "forbidden releationship" between the two circulates the society. Kira spent the while terrified of Soi Fon, for obvious reasons.

Eusis

When you come up with key aspects like that it leads itself to possibly at least interesting world building, and he showed he was building a dynamic for how the afterlife worked.

It just seems like he puts together some of those ideas then immediately throws them out in favor some fancy new power-up-of-the-week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom